Mounting a tv over the fireplace

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Mapmaker

Mounting a tv over the fireplace

Post by Mapmaker »

New construction. I want to mount a tv over the fireplace. I have Verizon fios for tv, internet and landline phone. Can someone tell me if I have to have a set top box physically attached to the tv, and if so, is there a way to hide it. I read somewhere that in lieu of a set top box, I could use an Amazon firestick. Is that true? I gave away my DVD player, as I never used it.
Anyway, if you have successfully mounted a tv above a fireplace with no wires or boxes showing, how did you do it? Also, if I buy a television, who would normally install or mount it - builder, tv guy, or Verizon guy? Thanks.
02nz

Re: Mounting a tv over the fireplace

Post by 02nz »

Bad idea for a number of reasons - heat from fireplace can damage TV or at very least shorten lifespan. And you'll be craning your neck to watch TV unless you have a mount that adjusts vertically (very rare - most allow only tilt).

You can get a Fire TV Stick or Roku Stick that plugs right into the HDMI port. But you'll still have to run a cable from the power adapter to the stick (some TVs have USB ports that can provide power, but generally not enough to power these sticks reliably).
ChowYunPhat

Post by ChowYunPhat »

Mapmaker, very important to make sure your A/V needs are sorted in a new construction 8-)

If walls are exposed and not yet sheetrocked, you can run coaxial / optical / RCA cabling over to a secondary location where you can effectively hide a set top box or other device. We've done this a couple of times. Alternatively, a new TV should have a USB port for a firestick or apple TV connection. Either should work fine.
02nz wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:02 pm Bad idea for a number of reasons - heat from fireplace can damage TV or at very least shorten lifespan. And you'll be craning your neck to watch TV unless you have a mount that adjusts vertically (very rare - most allow only tilt).
Do make sure there won't be too much heat coming over the side. We used to make large fires in our fireplace and there was a slight lip to our hearth so this wasn't an issue.

If your walls are already closed up, then in-wall wiring will likely cost a bit more but the Firestick idea is best bet then. Best of luck in the new house.

CYP
A wise man and his money are friends forever...
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

I agree with 02nz. It is so strange that new construction still puts the “choice” spot for TVs in probably the single worst spot.

But, if you insist, here’s a link that both tells you why not and how to do it regardless https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-thea ... fireplace/
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

When I wall mounted my television, I used one of these things:

https://www.amazon.com/Legrand-HT2102WH ... B003JUBMCI

I still needed an HDMI cable so I fed one through the slot on the right, through the wall cavity to a nearby cabinet to hide the actual cable box. The result was there were no wires visible.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

Mapmaker wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:54 pm New construction. I want to mount a tv over the fireplace. I have Verizon fios for tv, internet and landline phone. Can someone tell me if I have to have a set top box physically attached to the tv, and if so, is there a way to hide it. I read somewhere that in lieu of a set top box, I could use an Amazon firestick. Is that true? I gave away my DVD player, as I never used it.
Anyway, if you have successfully mounted a tv above a fireplace with no wires or boxes showing, how did you do it? Also, if I buy a television, who would normally install or mount it - builder, tv guy, or Verizon guy? Thanks.
We have a Samsung Frame TV and mounted it directly on a brick fire place.

It has mounting stand-offs that drill directly into the brick and holds the TV a good 1.5" from actually touching the brick.

The TV is about 4 feet above the opening in the hearth.

There is a teensy fibre optic cable that snakes out from the TV to the control box elsewhere that has all the connectivity and WiFi options. Everything we watch is streaming.

So far, no issues with heat, although we only use the fireplace maybe half a dozen times a year.
70% Global Market Weight Equities | 15% Long Treasuries 15% short TIPS & cash || RSU + ESPP
marcopolo

Post by marcopolo »

Mapmaker wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:54 pm New construction. I want to mount a tv over the fireplace. I have Verizon fios for tv, internet and landline phone. Can someone tell me if I have to have a set top box physically attached to the tv, and if so, is there a way to hide it. I read somewhere that in lieu of a set top box, I could use an Amazon firestick. Is that true? I gave away my DVD player, as I never used it.
In our new construction, we are having conduit run between where we will keep the AV equipment and where we will wall mount the TV. Also an outlet behind where the TV will mount. No visible wires.
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek »

Do yourself a favor and put it somewhere else. I can't stand when people put a TV over their fireplace. If it's a new construction and you have input, put the fireplace in the corner of the room.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

mnsportsgeek wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:19 pm Do yourself a favor and put it somewhere else. I can't stand when people put a TV over their fireplace. If it's a new construction and you have input, put the fireplace in the corner of the room.
The builders and interior decorators have a different opinion, driven in part by higher density of newer construction:

70% Global Market Weight Equities | 15% Long Treasuries 15% short TIPS & cash || RSU + ESPP
jumbopapa

Post by jumbopapa »

In general, it is an uncomfortable viewing angle to have it over the fireplace. However, the mantle mount [1] allows you to hang the tv about the fireplace and pull it down to a more comfortable viewing angle.

[1] - https://www.mantelmount.com/
mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek »

watchnerd wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:22 pm
mnsportsgeek wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:19 pm Do yourself a favor and put it somewhere else. I can't stand when people put a TV over their fireplace. If it's a new construction and you have input, put the fireplace in the corner of the room.
The builders and interior decorators have a different opinion, driven in part by higher density of newer construction:

The interior designer and builder have ignored basic TV viewing guidlines. TV significantly above eye level. No blinds on the windows. 66% of viewers have to turn their head to see the TV. No speakers in the ceiling or room for a soundbar under the TV. TV 12 feet away from prime viewing location.

Looks pretty though. This room would be better off with a mirror or piece of art instead of a TV. Put the TV in another room.
Last edited by mnsportsgeek on Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BBQ Nut

Post by BBQ Nut »

If one actually does the math, a viewing distance of 12 ft away and bottom of screen 54" high, then in a typical reclined/slouched position on the couch there will be no neck or eye strain because your head is supported and the eyes naturally tilted up.

I suppose if you are 6 ft away and sit in a rigid upright position with perfect posture in some sort of hard backed chair, then yeah - not good.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

mnsportsgeek wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:33 pm
watchnerd wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:22 pm

The interior designer and builder have ignored basic TV viewing courtesy. TV above significantly above eye level. No blinds on the windows. 66% of viewers have to turn their head to see the TV. No speakers in the ceiling or room for a soundbar under the TV.
Sure, it's not a home theater.

But, in our house, we only watch the living room TV once a week, maybe. Many weeks we never even turn it to anything other than 'art mode'.

The rest of the time, people are watching individual videos on personal screens (iPads, computers, etc.).
Topic Author
Mapmaker

Post by Mapmaker »

Thanks all. I have to meet with the builder and the electrician tomorrow to decide on electric and cable outlet placement among other things. Right now there are only studs and an outline of the fireplace. The fireplace itself is a modern looking 50” linear gas type. Builder has assured me that he knows how to position the firebox and mantle to meet code and I won’t have a problem with heat or be uncomfortable watching the tv. I just have to make up my mind what size tv. The room is fairly large and seating will be about 12 feet from the tv looking a lot like the picture above
I didn’t know that a conduit could be run to a different room, so that seems to solve my problem.
mortfree

Post by mortfree »

House we ought had the tv over the fireplace. It is a GAS fireplace. Not wood burning.

The wires run to the corner of the room where the AV cabinet is located. The cable connection is in the corner as well.

I installed a 60” TV above the fireplace.

Get a surge protected outlet installed above the fireplace in a recessed “box” as someone else linked earlier.

2 HDMI cables from the audio cabinet to the recessed outlet. We only use one but the other is just in case.

Center channel speaker wire to just above the mantle (not the same as the recessed outlet for tv) and left/right in wall speakers for front. There were already two rear in wall speakers so I bought the same model.

Get a remote IR (or whatever it is called) so that you can point it at the tv but control the equipment in the audio cabinet.

As for mounting the tv, our fireplace has that stone surround but the original owners left a spot with no stone where the tv mounting bracket goes. We needed a piece of plywood added to this spot and that allowed us to use a new mounting bracket.

Finally we have leather reclining sofas. I had the same concerns about neck, viewing angle etc but it really has NOT been an issue. Only issue is sun glare from windows at front of house where the light makes it on the tv. For a few minutes during the day.
Last edited by mortfree on Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

The optimal height for a TV is at the eye where your eyes are looking straight ahead (or slightly below that). Putting it over a fire place is a terrible idea unless you plan to watch it while standing.
corysold

Post by corysold »

Looks like your meeting tomorrow will iron out the issues. I'm sure they'll know what to do when you let them know what you want.

FWIW, we've had the same TV over two different fireplaces at different houses for the last 8 years with no issues. At our current house we use the fireplace daily, a non venting gas fireplace. The mantle actually deflects much of the heat, so while it is warmer where the TV sits, it isn't direct heat from the fireplace.
Summit111

Post by Summit111 »

Terrible view angle over the fireplace....Do yourself and your neck and shoulders a BIG favor...Don’t do it!

Summit
“Got my mind on my money, and my money on my mind!” Snoop Dog
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

watchnerd wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:37 pm Sure, it's not a home theater.

But, in our house, we only watch the living room TV once a week, maybe. Many weeks we never even turn it to anything other than 'art mode'.

The rest of the time, people are watching individual videos on personal screens (iPads, computers, etc.).
We have a lot of TVs installed at our house. 2 of the rooms that don’t have a TV are our living room and our cave (which has a fireplace).
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

corysold wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:20 pm Looks like your meeting tomorrow will iron out the issues. I'm sure they'll know what to do when you let them know what you want.

FWIW, we've had the same TV over two different fireplaces at different houses for the last 8 years with no issues. At our current house we use the fireplace daily, a non venting gas fireplace. The mantle actually deflects much of the heat, so while it is warmer where the TV sits, it isn't direct heat from the fireplace.
The key word there is gas. I would hesitate to put a tv over a wood fireplace. Occasionally wood smoke will get out of the fireplace, even when you’re careful. Over time, this would not do the external and internal parts of the fireplace any favors. Wood can also be hotter, since it isn’t as a controlled environment as a gas burner. The comments about screen height are on point. Don’t rely on what the builder tells you is comfortable for your neck. Put a piece of paper on a wall to simulate a tv in the new house and see how it feels to stare for a few minutes, let alone a two hour movie.

With the house still under construction, so yourself a huge favor and put a fresh outside air duct / damper under the fireplace so you aren’t sucking heated home air up the chimney. (A warm chimney’s draft will draw far more house air up the chimney than the fire will use). Also, a “heatilator” or powered vents that draw air around the chimney and back into your room will make a huge difference in getting heat from the fireplace to your house, and to you. These two improvements (along with a glass door) will make a tremendous improvement in fireplace efficiency, which is pretty dreadful to start.
Topic Author
Mapmaker

Post by Mapmaker »

It’s a Napoleon Acies 50 Linear Direct-Vent Gas Fireplace | L50N. Is a direct vent the same thing as an outside air duct/damper? ( sorry. I’m clueless.)
mathwhiz

Post by mathwhiz »

You can get fully reclined theater seating to make the TV above the fireplace work for you. No neck strain and very comfortable.

Something like this.

CoastalWinds

Post by CoastalWinds »

02nz wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:02 pm Bad idea for a number of reasons - heat from fireplace can damage TV or at very least shorten lifespan. And you'll be craning your neck to watch TV unless you have a mount that adjusts vertically (very rare - most allow only tilt).
Agreed. It also looks stupid.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

mathwhiz wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:52 pm You can get fully reclined theater seating to make the TV above the fireplace work for you. No neck strain and very comfortable.

Something like this.

This is more suited for a home theater room than a living room. In that case, why bother with the fireplace?

In my house, the room with a fireplace has bookshelves, mid century modern furniture and no TV. That is where most of the adult conversation happens
BBQ Nut

Post by BBQ Nut »

Oh, so now we are into lifestyle criticisms.

Awesome. :oops:
student

Post by student »

+1.
Topic Author
Mapmaker

Post by Mapmaker »

CoastalWinds wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:56 pm

I haven’t made up my mind yet (still have 12 hours), but the people at Architectural Digest seem to have found examples of nice TVs mounted over fireplaces, so I don’t thing the idea is totally stupid.
https://www.architecturaldigest.com/gal ... nspiration
zlandar

Post by zlandar »

Don't like it because the TV is too high for comfortable viewing.. My home has a recess built for that purpose. It sits empty.
BBQ Nut

Post by BBQ Nut »

Mapmaker wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:17 pm

I haven’t made up my mind yet (still have 12 hours), but the people at Architectural Digest seem to have found examples of nice TVs mounted over fireplaces, so I don’t thing the idea is totally stupid.
How far away is your viewing spot, how high up will the bottom of the screen be from the floor, and will you be viewing from a cushy couch?
CoastalWinds

Post by CoastalWinds »

I’d pick one focal point- fireplace/mantel or tv. Putting a big black box over a smaller one is quite aesthetically displeasing.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

Are you sure you want a fireplace? Most people I know who have them never use them, either the
log burning, or the sealed gas fireplaces.

They do make HD fireplace videos for the visual part.
CoastalWinds

Post by CoastalWinds »

MathWizard wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:31 pm Are you sure you want a fireplace? Most people I know who have them never use them, either the

In new homes, the appeal of FPs tends to be the use of full-height stone.
pahkcah

Post by pahkcah »

While our house was under construction last year, we ran coax and CAT6 cables to a box recessed in the wall behind where the TV was to be located above our fireplace mantle. We also placed a surge protector inside the box. We ran HDMI cables from above the fireplace to cabinets on one side of the fireplace, where we placed the Fios set top box. We also connected an IR device to the set top box so we could control the TV without opening up the cabinets.

The fireplace is gas, and our main viewing location is about 15 feet away from the TV. No issues whatsoever with too much heat for the TV or with neck strain. My one recommendation is to use a TV mount that enables the TV to be tilted downward, so you can adjust the viewing angle to your liking. This will help a lot to lessen or eliminate any neck strain. We purchased the Echogear EGLF1 mount, which can hold a tank and tilts downward up to 15 degrees, and side to side as well.

Best of luck with your new home and future TV viewing!

pahkcah
Smoke

Post by Smoke »

MathWizard wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:31 pm Are you sure you want a fireplace? Most people I know who have them never use them, either the

+1
For 26 yrs we have had a 8' wide fire place floor to ceiling 10' high, started out burning some wood, became a slave to the thing, nasty cleaning out, having the flue cleaned etc etc, then converted it to gas burning, only have access to propane tanks no pipeline.
Got tired of hauling tanks and refilling.
2 yrs ago installed a new roof, had the chimney torn down and roofed over.
Fake flame fireplace insert with remote control now... much happier.
Arguing for the sake of arguing is something I am not going to engage in.
Topic Author
Mapmaker

Post by Mapmaker »

Thanks all for the cable and mounting information. I appreciate your time.
ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf »

Be sure to run conduit, not just cables of whatever type. This will help to future proof things.

Ralph
3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR »

We have a tv outlet above one of our fireplaces which we don’t use due to the heat of the fireplace itself. However, if you don’t plan on using the fireplace, your builder can put the correct outlets and electrical plug up there for you as well as a duct to another location for any wiring you may use in the future. That is the way ours is and fairly common these days.

Don’t underestimate how hot it will become above the fireplace, I was surprised at how much heat flows up to where the tv would be, and happy I hadn’t gone through the process of mounting a tv up there. We covered the outlets with a nice, but inexpensive painting which hasn’t had any issues from the heat.
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

Mapmaker wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:17 pm It’s a Napoleon Acies 50 Linear Direct-Vent Gas Fireplace | L50N. Is a direct vent the same thing as an outside air duct/damper? ( sorry. I’m clueless.)
The direct vent does NOT need makeup air, nor would you want it. The direct vent has a dual pipe vent; makeup air comes in around the outer pipe, and gas venting goes up the middle pipe. Regarding the fireplace and the balance of the house, focus on making sure they TIGHTLY air seal the entire house.

Regarding the placement of the fireplace and the tv - many purists don't like the tv over the fireplace. But many people have them there.

If you plan to stay in the house a long time, or care about future owners, the best thing for you to do is pay the builder to run a 2" empty conduit from behind the main tv to a location where you can hide components. Also run empty conduit in any of these locations that are not accessible:
- 2" empty conduit from the main cable / internet service entrance to the distribution box
- 1.5" empty conduit from the distribution box to each box on the wall for a tv and/or hardwired internet connection
This future proofs you.
hornet96

Post by hornet96 »

Mapmaker wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:54 pm Can someone tell me if I have to have a set top box physically attached to the tv, and if so, is there a way to hide it.
Indeed there is. I picked up something like this: https://hideitmounts.com/collections/ca ... ideit_unil

Can’t see any wires at all behind my 49” TV in the living room. Which was a requirement from the DW.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Mapmaker wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:17 pm

In about 2 weeks you will find it very uncomfortable. Architects/designers don't live in real world situations in many cases.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

We did this and it works great. Wires go from behind television thru wall and out below to small cabinet.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
IMO

Post by IMO »

Another vote against putting the TV above the fireplace for viewing. I've never been to anyone's house that has that set up and thought, "what a great height to have the TV."

Why don't you put the fireplace above the TV? :D One doesn't need to watch the fire for 1-2 hours like a TV
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

You will regret the viewing angle. Regardless of how much tv you watch.

I paid good money to re-stone a fireplace that originally had a tv designed into the fireplace. I know the designers find it clever but it’s not.

There is plenty of information available that describes proper viewing angle and distance.
Painterbill

Post by Painterbill »

We just finished our new house two years ago and we did mount a TV above our gas fireplace. We do have a mantel above the fireplace which keeps the heat away from the TV. I did wire an outlet behind the TV to supply power and I also ran a 1" conduit from that location down inside the wall next to a wall outlet that allows me to run cables out of sight, currently it houses the DirecTV cable, it also allows for future changes. The oullet and conduit opening are flush with the wall surface so that if we decide to later to hang a mirror or picture it will hide them. We also like the TV above fireplace, it does not require neck contortions to watch(it is a smaller 47" TV with the bottom 57" above the floor).
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

I don’t think viewing angle is really a problem if you sit a sufficient distance away from the TV. I’m 10-12 feet away and it’s been fine above a fireplace.

Echogear sells highly reviewed wall mounts on amazon.
RJC

Post by RJC »

Not a great idea if you have to slouch/recline to watch it at a decent viewing angle.
NoProbLlama

Post by NoProbLlama »

We purchased the MantelMount MM540 tv mount & it's been one of my top purchases for the home. I highly recommend for anyone who's tackling this issue but doesn't have the ability to resolve it through architects/builders.

https://www.mantelmount.com/products/mm ... nced-mount

A few noteworthy features:
1. The vertical drop is about 29 inches.
2. For those concerned about heat, the handle on the mount is heat-sensitive and will turn red to let you know if temps are becoming dangerous for the electronics (we tested it over the stove before we set everything up, but it's never been an issue for us).
3. There are additional configurations for the mount if you have a recess to hold boxes & other electronics.

With a large enough tv, you can hide/mount multiple additional electronics behind the tv. We currently have an xbox, cable box, chromecast, and surge protector all hidden behind the tv. Some of those are mounted on the wall & never move, while others are attached to the MantelMount mechanism and come down when the tv is moved. There's also a soundbar attached to the bottom of the tv that moves with the mount. There are no wires/boxes/etc visible.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

Mapmaker wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:45 pm Thanks all. I have to meet with the builder and the electrician tomorrow to decide on electric and cable outlet placement among other things. Right now there are only studs and an outline of the fireplace. The fireplace itself is a modern looking 50” linear gas type. Builder has assured me that he knows how to position the firebox and mantle to meet code and I won’t have a problem with heat or be uncomfortable watching the tv. I just have to make up my mind what size tv. The room is fairly large and seating will be about 12 feet from the tv looking a lot like the picture above
I didn’t know that a conduit could be run to a different room, so that seems to solve my problem.
Sounds like you are set on TV over fireplace. Too bad, but it is your house and you are the one who needs to like it.

I can tell you that when the wife and I were buying our home, we turned down many homes just because of the design forcing us to put the TV over the fireplace. To us, this was a huge dealbreaker. The same when we rented. No houses where the TV goes over the fireplace. We watch about 1 hour of TV every night. Some nights we watch movies and use our media/theater room for that.

Congrats on your new home.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
bugleheadd

Post by bugleheadd »

wouldnt you get issues with you neck and back from looking up at the TV mounted high up like that over a fireplace?
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

bugleheadd wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:16 am wouldnt you get issues with you neck and back from looking up at the TV mounted high up like that over a fireplace?
Not if you are standing :)

I have a friend with a TV over the mantel, but it is in his billiards room and everyone is standing. The TV is usually set to ESPN or some sport.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418