Another roofing question - roofing color/surface?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dm200

Another roofing question - roofing color/surface?

Post by dm200 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:08 pm

We will soon need to replace our single family home roof. The current roof (we had this put on) shingles are/were originally white (or very light gray) - and this color was quite common/popular at the time. Over the years that I have looked at roofs, these white/light gray roofs seemed to continue to look good on most houses.

Then, about 10-15 years ago, in this area, there was something (never heard a good explanation) that seemed to adversely affect just about all of such roofs. Much (or most) of these roofs (both on residential houses and on larger commercial type buildings) had ugly dark stains all over them. It really seemed odd that this "thing" hit all of this type roof. Perhaps it hit all color roofs, but just showed up more on the white/light gray. I also don't know if this "thing" keeps happening to such roofs or not.

In any event, to be safe and not end up with another ugly, dark stained white/light gray roof - I want to choose another type or color. Any suggestions or ideas? I don't know any details, but I do see some nice looking roofs that seem to have some kind of textured appearing surface - that is a nice mixture of dark gray and lighter.

bloom2708

Re: Another roofing question - roofing color/surface?

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:33 pm

Your roof color should compliment your house colors (siding, trim, garage doors).

I see brown houses with gray roofs (no)...
I see red houses with brown roofs (no)...
Tan houses with light gray roofs (no)...

We had a hail storm come through some years back. The neighborhood was inundated with roofing companies. Many chose quickly/poorly and now they have to wait 20 years or until the next hail storm to fix the mis-matched colors.

If you have a white house, you can go across primary color bands. Tan stay in the browns. Grays stay in the darker grays.

If you have brick around the front of the house, pick the darker shade from the brick for the shingles.

Hard to give good advice on the color without knowing what your house primary/secondary colors are. I think you are referring to a roof mold likely that would discolor the light gray roofs. Probably depends on area of the country.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:36 pm

First, the dark ugly stains are most commonly blue-green algae. It is cosmetic only, it doesn't harm the roof. https://todayshomeowner.com/remove-prev ... t-shingle/

Current shingles are more algae-resistant. Products like Wet & Forget will remove the stains over time.

Don't replace your shingles just because of this unless they are worn out anyway (20+ year life).

It's also important to understand roofing shingle manufacturers' warranties. Some are utter garbage. We put shingles on our cottage (then my in-law's home) and used CertainTeed, with a certified installer, and we have a 50 year warranty plus 130 mph wind warranty. This is their 4 star coverage, and covers everything including labor, called SureStart Plus. Algae is also covered.

Many roofing warranties only include shingles, and the main cost is labor.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

FrugalConservative

Post by FrugalConservative » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:55 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:33 pm
Your roof color should compliment your house colors (siding, trim, garage doors).

Agreed. I see some roofs and wonder what the home owners were thinking.

Red roofs, blue roofs, green roofs.

I am one for simple. Stick with black/dark grey roofing for most homes. It contrasts nicely with most exterior siding colors.

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:02 pm

FrugalConservative wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:55 pm
bloom2708 wrote:

I am one for simple. Stick with black/dark grey roofing for most homes. It contrasts nicely with most exterior siding colors.
Also concur about color coordinating looks much better, but aren't lighter colored shingles a little cooler in the summer heat?

FrugalConservative

Post by FrugalConservative » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:09 pm

Big Dog wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:02 pm
FrugalConservative wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:55 pm
bloom2708 wrote:

Also concur about color coordinating looks much better, but aren't lighter colored shingles a little cooler in the summer heat?
Oh they certainly are but sometimes it's best to choose form over function, ha.

Post by 123 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:14 pm

One of the main things to consider when deciding on house or roof color is what will harmonize with your neighborhood. If there are no other roofs of a similar color in the immediate area it might not be a good choice. The lifetime of a roof can reach beyond the point you no longer live in your house, accordingly you should avoid anything that is too "odd" as it will limit marketability of the house when you (or your estate) decide to sell.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:16 pm

If you can possibly work with a roofing contractor to see some real life examples of different colors you are considering in the “wild”, you will have a much easier time picking out something. Years ago when we built our current house, we had to pick brick and shingle colors. The supplier had a database of houses that used the various colors, gave us the addresses and said “drive around and look at each”. Some of the colors we really liked looked terrible on a larger scale or in combination. We ended up picking something somewhat different than what we originally planned and it turned out (luckily).

sport

Post by sport » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:17 pm

A white roof will reflect more sunlight and absorb less. That will help with the electric bill for air conditioning in the summer.

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:22 pm

I have a dark grey roof, bought the 30 yr architectural shingles. We have a couple of trees that overhang the roof. In the last 8 or so years, I've notice some staining on my dark roof. Just a thought, dark roofs are not immune from that effect.

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:38 am

Our house is all brick - the type/color of most such brick houses.

My "problem" is that I have zero ability to judge what colors go together.

The roof is near (or at) the end of its useful life.

I agree that white or light color roofs will reflect light/heat.

The odd (to me) thing about just about all area roofs having these large dark stains (started 10-15 years ago) is that - for many decades before - I never saw this on any roof.

I definitely will look at what sort of roofs are common in the neighborhood - especially similar brick houses.

NJdad6

Post by NJdad6 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:04 pm

Charcoal gray/weathered black. Will match the brick (actually looks great with brick). You can paint shutters and/or door to match. They look great through their life and hide stains well. They might make your attic a little hotter in summer but it will be minimal.

As others said the staining is mold/mildew and can be removed using mold spray made for this. It is not harmful but does look bad.

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:56 pm

NJdad6 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:04 pm
Charcoal gray/weathered black. Will match the brick (actually looks great with brick). You can paint shutters and/or door to match. They look great through their life and hide stains well. They might make your attic a little hotter in summer but it will be minimal.
As others said the staining is mold/mildew and can be removed using mold spray made for this. It is not harmful but does look bad.
OK - so, this gray/black matches and looks great with the red brick house? As I said - I have no "taste" in colors. I am not colorblind - just "no taste" for that.

NJdad6

Post by NJdad6 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:59 pm

It is a common combination. Drive around the neighborhood and try to find another house with that combo. If you have a lot of brick houses it should be easy to find.

Chip Munk

Post by Chip Munk » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:05 pm

dm200 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:08 pm
I don't know any details, but I do see some nice looking roofs that seem to have some kind of textured appearing surface - that is a nice mixture of dark gray and lighter.
We have architectural shingles on our roof and they look as you describe -- a textured surface that appears to be a mix of lighter and darker colors. I don't know if they are different colors or if it's the texture that makes them appear that way. I do like the look.

FrugalConservative

Post by FrugalConservative » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:17 pm

dm200 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:56 pm
NJdad6 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:04 pm
OK - so, this gray/black matches and looks great with the red brick house? As I said - I have no "taste" in colors. I am not colorblind - just "no taste" for that.
It absolutely does. I wouldnt hesitate to put a black roof with a brick house. Perfect contrast

MJS

Post by MJS » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:50 pm

Take a look at the heating vs cooling map. If you are in purple, blue, or green -- go with a darker roof. If you are in red or brown, go with a light roof color and perhaps a radiant barrier. In yellow, go with local custom.

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:18 pm

MJS wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:50 pm
Take a look at the heating vs cooling map. If you are in purple, blue, or green -- go with a darker roof. If you are in red or brown, go with a light roof color and perhaps a radiant barrier. In yellow, go with local custom.
OK - "Local Custom" - whatever that is!

dmk395

Post by dmk395 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:17 am

For similar reasons I went with Certain Teed Landmark shingle color "weathered wood". The stains I saw near my two most recently shingled houses would blend better with this color. Perhaps it works for you.

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:11 am

dmk395 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:17 am
For similar reasons I went with Certain Teed Landmark shingle color "weathered wood". The stains I saw near my two most recently shingled houses would blend better with this color. Perhaps it works for you.
Thanks.