Hyundai Palisade - A good option?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Thorsbane

Hyundai Palisade - A good option?

Post by Thorsbane »

Curious if anyone has any impressions of the Hyundai Palisade. My family is looking at purchasing and I've read reviews but I have a hard time sifting through what sites are actually 'paid reviews'. What are your thoughts?
Fclevz

Re: Hyundai Palisade - A good option?

Post by Fclevz »

Is that car a sibling to the Kia Telluride? That one was voted 2020 SUV of the year by MotorTrend magazine. So if they are related...
BlueCable

Post by BlueCable »

The automotive press have been praising the Palisade and its Kia Telluride sister.
Cubicle

Post by Cubicle »

I was needlessly visiting a Hyundai dealerships (I'm pining for a non-existent manual transmission prior generation Sonata) & the sales guy (after I told him I'm merely window watching) is telling me the Palisades are selling well. And I believe him. Around my neighborhood I see 3 shiny new ones. And on my work commute, 4 out of 5 days I can see a Telluride. I generally like the Hyundais more than the Kias. I like the shape of the Palisade. With the warranty, I would not hesitate.
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

Got it a couple of months ago. Very happy with it. Great value. Plenty of space. Amazing safety even in the SEL AWD I have.
Buy Low, Sell High
Inframan4712

Post by Inframan4712 »

Kia Telluride is 8db quieter than Palisade according to a review I read.

I test drove the Kia this week. Amazing vehicle. My wife and I loved it. Our 6 foot 3 salesman sat in the 3rd row to show how much room is there, which is a lot. The lane keeping is much better than my Genesis. All the tech is great. The audio cues are not intrusive. The Kia drives well. Very comfortable. We ultimately didn’t buy because the front passenger seat doesn’t have adjustable lumbar. We will wait for the upcoming Genesis SUV and see if it has that feature.
Topic Author
Thorsbane

Post by Thorsbane »

Thanks for the input everyone. I think the decision is deferred for now but I'm pushing to consider the Kia Telluride as well. I can't say decibel level is something I'd be interested in when comparing the two unless one sounds like a plane taking off. I was more considered about features, safety, price, and reliability. May be revisiting this topic in a year or so!
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Inframan4712 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:12 am Kia Telluride is 8db quieter than Palisade according to a review I read.
8db quieter would be a reduction of noise by almost half. That's extraordinarily unlikely in two cars that are closely related and positioned in the same market segment.
Last edited by 02nz on Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson »

Last week's PBS Motorweek compared seven 3-row suvs. The Hyundai was first & Kia second.
https://www.motorweek.org/
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xeye7-xz3s8
Arlington2019

Post by Arlington2019 »

We test drove the Palisade and really liked it. My wife subsequently decided she did not need three rows and went with the top of the line 2020 Santa Fe instead. 0% financing. Great deal.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Arlington2019 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:07 pm We test drove the Palisade and really liked it. My wife subsequently decided she did not need three rows and went with the top of the line 2020 Santa Fe instead. 0% financing. Great deal.
DW got the same in October. She is absolutely loving it--without question her favorite vehicle ever.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Toyota or Honda.
Then . . . .
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
NJdad6

Post by NJdad6 »

Sandtrap wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:42 pm Toyota or Honda.
Then . . . .
I believe the Hyundai and Kia are rated higher than either the Pilot or Highlander. Both are most likely better built with higher reliability expectations than the Honda. Probably on par with Toyota.

I did check out the Palisade at a dealer while I was there for something else. Very nice. I would absolutely consider if I was in the market for a 3 row SUV.
nativenewenglander

Post by nativenewenglander »

We are looking at the Santa Fe as a replacement for my wife's Forester next year. I like everything I read about Hyundai products.
Arlington2019

Post by Arlington2019 »

nativenewenglander wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:45 pm We are looking at the Santa Fe as a replacement for my wife's Forester next year. I like everything I read about Hyundai products.
Over the last four years my wife has gone from a 2011 Kia Optima to a 2015 Subaru Outback to a 2017 Mazda CX-5 and now to the 2020 top trim Santa Fe. She seems to be liking the Santa Fe most of all, so perhaps she will keep it for a while.
Topic Author
Thorsbane

Post by Thorsbane »

nativenewenglander wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:45 pm We are looking at the Santa Fe as a replacement for my wife's Forester next year. I like everything I read about Hyundai products.
My wife currently has a 2016 or 2017 sante fe sport. It's a good car but the seats don't fold down flat in the back. They stay slightly elevated. We currently have two kiddos, so strollers take up most of the trunk space. This was part of the push for a larger car.
FrugalConservative

Post by FrugalConservative »

NJdad6 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:13 pm
Then . . . .
I believe the Hyundai and Kia are rated higher than either the Pilot or Highlander. Both are most likely better built with higher reliability expectations than the Honda. Probably on par with Toyota.

I did check out the Palisade at a dealer while I was there for something else. Very nice. I would absolutely consider if I was in the market for a 3 row SUV.
On par reliability and depreciation wise with Toyota and Honda... zero chance.
Box5phantom

Post by Box5phantom »

We bought one and we like it in general,particularly the safety feature. Saved us once already with the rear cross traffic warning at the parking lot during the night.

My wife has 3 complains.
The control panel is difficult to read in daytime, as font color and the buttons are both in silver.
No built in sun glass visor .
The instrument panel (none digital one) does not have time displayed, and she needs to turn to the digital screen for time. I am not sure about the limited trim, which has digital instrument panel.

I have one complain is that the regular leather of the SEL trim seems a bit hard for me. Not sure about the limited version with NAPA leather.

I think you shall go test drive several brands, online reviews can only give you their personal opinions, whether paid or not. There will be a new generation of 2020 highlander coming this December. After your test drive, you may want to wait a few months if you decide to purchase one. The currently supply of Palisade is still low, it might be difficult to negotiate price.

We picked Palisade because of a good combination of utility, power and technology compared to other cars in the similar segment at the time of purchase. We do not have the luxury to wait and we did the research knowing some of the potential issues before we purchase. I suggest you do that also. I would suggest you go to https://www.palisadeforum.com/ to see what some of the owners are saying about the issues. There is a known recall of airbag which will start in Jan 2020 and window noise issue, which is case by case as I know.
nativenewenglander

Arlington2019 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:40 am
Over the last four years my wife has gone from a 2011 Kia Optima to a 2015 Subaru Outback to a 2017 Mazda CX-5 and now to the 2020 top trim Santa Fe. She seems to be liking the Santa Fe most of all, so perhaps she will keep it for a while.
Hmm interesting my brother just bought a CX-5, currently he has under 1000 miles on it, a vehicle I considered but heard about road noise complaints, this pushed me toward the Santa Fe.
nativenewenglander

Thorsbane wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:10 am
My wife currently has a 2016 or 2017 sante fe sport. It's a good car but the seats don't fold down flat in the back. They stay slightly elevated. We currently have two kiddos, so strollers take up most of the trunk space. This was part of the push for a larger car.
We'll pay attention to the folding seats for sure. My wife will get the final say it will be her everyday driver.
NJdad6

Post by NJdad6 »

FrugalConservative wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:15 am
NJdad6 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:13 pm
Then . . . .

On par reliability and depreciation wise with Toyota and Honda... zero chance.
It is not 1995. Don’t take my word for it, do your research. Honda reliability middle of the road. Many other brands ranked higher. Toyota and Kia on top depending on source. Hyundai not far behind.

Depreciation not yet as good but getting better. This may or may not be part of the decision process based on needs. They are however some of the lowest cost of ownership.
hbdad

Post by hbdad »

We just bought a Palisade last month and like it so far. For years I was set that our next car would be a CX-9. I had the price negotiated with the Mazda dealer, but was holding out for them to go about $500 lower. I went and test drove a Palisade and before the test drive was over, I knew I liked it better than the CX-9. The tech is amazing and it's more spacious. I also test drove a Telluride twice but did not like it as much. I didn't care for the interior and the Palisade has some features the Telluride doesn't.

After I bought the car, I found online that Hyundai is paying $900 towards your student loans if you purchase a Hyundai (either before 12/31 or 1/31/20). On top of that, I also found out a program called Bonus Drive will give you $500 for buying a Hyundai if you belong to a qualifying organization, such as insurance, bank, employer, credit union. These are in addition to any other programs Hyundai or the dealership are offering. Now I'm getting an extra $1,400 I wasn't expecting. Merry Christmas!
Inframan4712

Post by Inframan4712 »

02nz wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:35 pm
Inframan4712 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:12 am Kia Telluride is 8db quieter than Palisade according to a review I read.
8db quieter would be a reduction of noise by almost half. That's extraordinarily unlikely in two cars that are closely related and positioned in the same market segment.
Sorry it was 6db. I misremembered. But I found the Car and Driver comparison article. "The Telluride cruises at 70 mph with a library-quiet 63-decibel sound-level reading, or a notable 6 decibels quieter than the Palisade."

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/co ... telluride/
queso

Post by queso »

Subscribed. I wanted to like the Ascent, but just don't and after seeing a couple of Tellurides that is now at the top of my list to replace my 2006 Pilot. I figured I'd let them shake out the first year model issues and then maybe jump on one next year unless something else catches my eye.
Topic Author
Thorsbane

Post by Thorsbane »

queso wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:10 am Subscribed. I wanted to like the Ascent, but just don't and after seeing a couple of Tellurides that is now at the top of my list to replace my 2006 Pilot. I figured I'd let them shake out the first year model issues and then maybe jump on one next year unless something else catches my eye.
The first year jitters have also hit me... I don't know if this is something to actually be worried about or if it's really dependent on the individual make/model. But definitely a huge consideration.
BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger »

We got a Telluride and we LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I believe the palisade is very similar, but definitely take a look at the Kia as well.
queso

Post by queso »

BuckyBadger wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:44 am We got a Telluride and we LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I believe the palisade is very similar, but definitely take a look at the Kia as well.
Congrats! I'm looking at it like a more reliable and cheaper XC90. If that works out to be accurate over the next few months I may pick one up as well.
BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger »

queso wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:45 am
BuckyBadger wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:44 am We got a Telluride and we LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I believe the palisade is very similar, but definitely take a look at the Kia as well.
Congrats! I'm looking at it like a more reliable and cheaper XC90. If that works out to be accurate over the next few months I may pick one up as well.
Those were the exact two cars we'd narrowed it down to. A certified pre-owned Volvo XC90 and the Telluride. I really think we made the right choice!
wallygator

Post by wallygator »

[/quote]

Sorry it was 6db. I misremembered. But I found the Car and Driver comparison article. "The Telluride cruises at 70 mph with a library-quiet 63-decibel sound-level reading, or a notable 6 decibels quieter than the Palisade."

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/co ... telluride/
[/quote]

I would imagine the tires on the vehicles would be the difference in noise levels. Soft tires that are gone at 20,000 miles are a lot quieter than 50,00 mile tires.

Can we confirm the same tires were on both?

Thx
wallygator

Post by wallygator »

50,000 obviously don't know how to edit post sorry
queso

Post by queso »

BuckyBadger wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:02 am
Those were the exact two cars we'd narrowed it down to. A certified pre-owned Volvo XC90 and the Telluride. I really think we made the right choice!
I finally started kicking the tires on one to replace my 15 year old Pilot (SX Prestige), but am not liking the dealer responses I am seeing so far. One dealer offered to put me on their special "$5995 over MSRP wait list" and the others quoted me prices ranging from $57 to $61k (not sure what all that includes - haven't asked yet). Are these in that high of demand that they are going for these prices? I hadn't planned on cross-shopping it against the Q7 and X7 but if these prices are legit I may have to. :happy
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

queso wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:32 pm
BuckyBadger wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:02 am
I finally started kicking the tires on one to replace my 15 year old Pilot (SX Prestige), but am not liking the dealer responses I am seeing so far. One dealer offered to put me on their special "$5995 over MSRP wait list" and the others quoted me prices ranging from $57 to $61k (not sure what all that includes - haven't asked yet). Are these in that high of demand that they are going for these prices? I hadn't planned on cross-shopping it against the Q7 and X7 but if these prices are legit I may have to. :happy
Keep looking out. We found prices all over the place last year. Snagged a deal just lower than msrp over labor day sales. Good luck..

Edit: we got a palisade.
Buy Low, Sell High
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

The Palisade and it's twin the Telluride are in high demand now and they can't build them fast enough.

https://jalopnik.com/kia-vastly-underes ... 1844293702
wallygator

Post by wallygator »

Howdy,

I'd wait til next years models come out. Google "palisade telluride wind noise". There are too many reports of wind noise mostly drivers window. Cause is cross winds OR mirror OR seals. BUT they haven't been able to fix the issue. Assume they will fix it in a year ish...

Good Luck,

Wally
queso

Post by queso »

Thanks.. I've got feelers out to about 5-6 dealers including some outside my metro area so I am hoping somebody will bite. I was also considering submitting a Costco Auto query just to see what it turns up. I know you can generally do better on your own, but they work with local dealers so that may work to drive down one of these local guys that are trying to get somebody on the hook for $6k over MSRP. If it truly is a supply/demand thing and that's really what they expect to get for one of these things then I'll keep my Pilot another year and see how it shakes out.
BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger »

Palisade and Telluride are the same sort of market point, but they are quite different cars. We didn't find the Palisade styling appealing but really really like the look of the Telluride.

I'd be surprised if both suffered from the same wind noise problem, but perhaps they do. It's not an issue we found with our Telluride so perhaps it's sporadic.

I can't remember exactly what we paid, but I think it was around MSRP, but it was a hard car to find and we had to go to a LOT of places and jump on the first one that came up. Luckily it was a color and seating arrangement that we liked.

We still REALLY love the car. Every time we take it somewhere we are again surprised by how nice it is and how pleasant to drive. Although I'm sure it's not for everyone, I really can't help but to recommend it to anyone who asks. We just love it.