Apps or structured program for reading the Bible?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Kennedy

Apps or structured program for reading the Bible?

Post by Kennedy » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:32 pm

I'm looking for suggestions for approaches to reading the Bible. I've tried previously with just opening it up and starting with Genesis, but it didn't keep my interest.

Is there a suggested app or other structured program I can purchase or find for free that will make it easier?

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: Apps or structured program for reading the Bible?

Post by nisiprius » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:43 pm

Kennedy wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:32 pm
...I've tried previously with just opening it up and starting with Genesis, but it didn't keep my interest...
That's because the paragraphs don't have topic sentences.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:46 pm

Is it available in memes or a Facebook timeline format?

bayview

Post by bayview » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:48 pm

Not an app, but have you tried the One Year Bible? (I’m familiar with the Christian Bible version -- OT + NT; don’t know if the Hebrew Bible/Tanakh is available in the same format.)

The One Year Bible is available in multiple translations/versions. Each day includes a reading from the OT, the NT, and Psalms/ Proverbs. It takes you through the OT and NT once and Psalms/ Proverbs twice in a calendar year. If you like, you can start all over again the next year with the Jan 1 reading. You can combine this with a Bible commentary or history, etc.

It’s the only structured Bible study that has gotten me through Deuteronomy, upon which I have otherwise always crashed and burned.
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri

TierArtz

Post by TierArtz » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:57 pm

For a few years, I read it yearly. One reading used the NIV Daily Bible, which has the date milestones in the text. Other times, I've followed a Bible reading plan I downloaded.

At church, I always read on my phone or an iPad using the YouVersion app. That app also has reading plans. I've read several versions, the next will be the Christian Standard Bible (2017 translation). Info on it: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christi ... dard_Bible

Have a great 2020!

TierArtz

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:59 pm

It's helpful to go looking for some general kind of guide... and a diagram like this to at least get you oriented about what kind of thing is where.

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:59 pm

Kennedy wrote:
I'm looking for suggestions for approaches to reading the Bible. I've tried previously with just opening it up and starting with Genesis, but it didn't keep my interest.
Why would you want to spend time reading something that you don't find interesting?

krb

Post by krb » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:04 pm

Answer: yes. Every sabbath jews read one potion of the Torah so that after one year the cycle is complete. If it does not hold your attention I highly recommend either the stone Chumash (named after the donor who sponsored it) from artscroll or the Chabad version from kehot (I believe kehotonline.com). It is the five volume (five books in the Pentateuch) series in a red hardcover. The stone is one volume. Each is written not only easy to read but with fascinating commentary to maintain your interest.

Go to the local Jewish bookstore and browse and see which version speaks to you. They are fascinating and compelling. Let me know what you think.

curryitr

Post by curryitr » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:18 pm

I like the one year bible plans that incorporate reading from the Old Testament, Psalms or Proverbs, and New Testament each day. I find that variety keeps my interest much better.

If you download the Bible app by youversion from the App Store it has a number of one year bible reading plans you can choose from. That would be my recommendation.

5280Tim

Post by 5280Tim » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:21 pm

I’ve been reading through the Bible using this plan and have found it really helpful.
https://www.navigators.org/wp-content/u ... 479083.pdf

Pelicanlamp

Post by Pelicanlamp » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:24 pm

It doesn’t necessarily cover every book of the Bible, but The Bible Timeline: The Story of Salvation by Jeff Cavins is great for presenting a narrative order and approach to reading the Bible.

It’s divided into sections that trace all of salvation history throughout the Old and New Testaments, so the readings are presented chronologically rather than thematically. So, you read the prophetic books corresponding to the historical/narrative books. It makes it a lot easier to grasp the timeline and chain of events.

There are suggested and optional readings in each section. Doing all of the optional reading would cover much of the Bible. There are books and a video lecture series with additional commentary if you’re interested.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:34 pm

Cut out all the superfluous and read this. Will go much faster.

https://www.amazon.com/Jefferson-Bible- ... VGAKGFYRPV

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:45 pm

curryitr wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:18 pm
I like the one year bible plans that incorporate reading from the Old Testament, Psalms or Proverbs, and New Testament each day. I find that variety keeps my interest much better.
I agree with the variety. Church of the Highlands has an app that does exactly that. OT, NT, Psalms, Proverbs.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:46 am

bayview wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:48 pm
Not an app, but have you tried the One Year Bible? (I’m familiar with the Christian Bible version -- OT + NT; don’t know if the Hebrew Bible/Tanakh is available in the same format.)

The One Year Bible is available in multiple translations/versions. Each day includes a reading from the OT, the NT, and Psalms/ Proverbs. It takes you through the OT and NT once and Psalms/ Proverbs twice in a calendar year. If you like, you can start all over again the next year with the Jan 1 reading. You can combine this with a Bible commentary or history, etc.

It’s the only structured Bible study that has gotten me through Deuteronomy, upon which I have otherwise always crashed and burned.
I would heartily recommend the One Year Bible. I used the New International Version but wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't offered in other translations. I would echo the comments above.

If you are Catholic, Orthodox, or in a higher church Protestant Tradition, keep in mind the Lectionary for the Church year. The readings in church go through most of the Bible in a 3 year cycle or so. So a good way of getting through much of the Bible is to read the Scripture verses for each Sunday in preparation for Mass or church service. In these type of churches, the sermon or homily is based upon the Scripture readings. There is also the Jewish practice of Torah readings each Sabbath in the Synagogues. The church year built around holidays and seasons is a beautiful way to experience the Bible in your life. Judaism has a similar calendar built around holidays and was the precursor for this beautiful Christian tradition.
A fool and his money are good for business.

mattfr

Post by mattfr » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:23 am

I find it helpful to recognize that the contents of the book are not necessarily presented in order of importance, and thus should not be read sequentially. Depending on one's culture and faith, one could reasonably argue that the middle of the Bible is the most significant, but getting there sequentially requires trudging through the

Instead of reading sequentially, I've found my interest increases when I study themes based on what's happening in my life. This way, I can immediately put what I'm reading into practice, or at least try to do so and learn from my inherent shortcomings.

The Bible topical guide here is personally invaluable:
Church of Jesus Christ - Topical Guide

There's a free mobile app with the same study guides and content: Gospel Library (iOS or Android)

Love to hear how it goes!

stlutz

Post by stlutz » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:05 am

If you're actually wanting to read it, I would find a presentation that is actually designed for reading comprehension. Such as: https://www.amazon.com/Books-Bible-New- ... NYP9571421

Imagine if every Bogleheads post was interrupted with numbers every sentence. Or if a a post was interrupted midway through a sentence and continued in a subsequent post. Would be a PITA to read. Yet that's how most Bibles are presented.

Kristen

Post by Kristen » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:19 am

There are some options here: https://www.christianity.com/bible/year/. You pick one of the plans and it spits out a reading plan for you, including dates.

Beginning to End: Read the Bible from start to finish, from Genesis to Revelation.

Chronological: Read the Bible as its events occurred in real time. For example, Job lived sometime after the beginning of creation (Genesis 1) but before Abraham was born (Genesis 12). As a result, the Book of Job is integrated into the Book of Genesis.

Historical: Read the books of the Bible as they were written historically, according to the estimated date of their writing.

New then Old: A BibleYear.com exclusive! Read through the New Testament first, then read through the Old Testament.

Old and New: Each day includes a passage from both the Old Testament and New Testament.

palaheel

Post by palaheel » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:34 am

See https://bible.com. They support computers and mobile devices, have tons of translations and reading plans, and it's free. For some versions, they will stream audio. On my commute, I use the UK version of the NIV, which is read by David Suchet (of Hercule Poirot fame).

Where to start depends on your personality. If you like a good story, start with Mark, and maybe then John. If you're a more analytical type, you can do what everybody will tell you not to do, and start with Romans. (That's what I did...it gets the ideas across, though somewhat brutally.)
Markets crash. Markets recover. Inflation takes your money FOREVER.

iamblessed

Post by iamblessed » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:07 am

About 10 years ago I made it a goal to read the whole Bible every year. I read the DOUAY-RHEIMS Bible. It is longer than the King James. I would have to read four chapter a day to finish in a year. It was a few week quicker than a year but that was alright because a flu that might hit you. I started with one chapter a day in Genesis. I found it hard for four months then my love for the Bible grew each day after that. I added one chapter each few months until I built up to four a day to hit my goal. I still have the same goal and this year I just finished my 10th complete reading of the Bible. It all started be by being faithful in that first four months when I found it hard with one chapter a day.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:02 am

Kennedy wrote:

Is there a suggested app or other structured program I can purchase or find for free that will make it easier?
There's nothing that's going to be easier than just starting at the beginning and reading. But only you can decide what would "keep your interest".

Your best bet would be to search the App Store for free bible apps and try a bunch until your interest is kept.
Don't be a lemming.

Atilla

Post by Atilla » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:05 am

Here you go:

https://oneyearbibleonline.com/

Multiple translations available. Also a chronological version which is interesting. And a free app for your phone. Every day has a selection from the Old and New Testaments, Psalms and Proverbs.
Moderator Warning-Free Since 2017.

Columbia85

Post by Columbia85 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:18 am

The Narrated Bible in Chronological Order is another way to approach it (F. LaGard Smith). Some Psalms are placed according to when they were written, etc.

birdog

Post by birdog » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:07 am

Of course. The app I use is called YouVersion Bible. Free download to your phone. Pick your format (KJV, NIV, etc) and pick your reading plan. I did the bible in a year canonical. You could also do chronological. Many different plans available.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:15 am

Thoughts:
1. Define what your personal goal is for reading the Bible in one sentence.
IE: Someone working towards their Masters of Divinity in college had a different goal level of retention and use. Whereas. . . .
IE: Someone studying comparitive religions, theology, philosophy concepts and history, etc.
Also, which Bible.

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:00 am

birdog wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:07 am
Of course. The app I use is called YouVersion Bible. Free download to your phone. Pick your format (KJV, NIV, etc) and pick your reading plan. I did the bible in a year canonical. You could also do chronological. Many different plans available.
I like the YouVersion App, use it daily.

I have used the Pray Now App (link below) daily for a few years and I think it is a good match for what the OP is looking for.

https://www.cph.org/p-18058-pray-now-app.aspx

If you prefer a paper version of the Pray Now App, this is great.

https://www.cph.org/t-tdp.aspx
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

BIGal

Post by BIGal » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:50 am

I have used this site and it will have you through the entire Bible in a year. Will begin again for the third time through in January.
https://www.biblegateway.com/reading-plans/

Topic Author
Kennedy

Post by Kennedy » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:23 am

iamblessed wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:07 am
About 10 years ago I made it a goal to read the whole Bible every year. I read the DOUAY-RHEIMS Bible. It is longer than the King James. I would have to read four chapter a day to finish in a year. It was a few week quicker than a year but that was alright because a flu that might hit you. I started with one chapter a day in Genesis. I found it hard for four months then my love for the Bible grew each day after that. I added one chapter each few months until I built up to four a day to hit my goal. I still have the same goal and this year I just finished my 10th complete reading of the Bible. It all started be by being faithful in that first four months when I found it hard with one chapter a day.
I'm curious if the reason you found it difficult for the first four months was because you found the old testament less interesting than later pages of the Bible? Or, did the habit just kick-in after four months? I'm asking this because I just could not get into Genesis, but I'm wondering if starting somewhere other than the beginning might be more interesting, as suggested by some responders here.

baritone

Post by baritone » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:43 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:34 pm
Cut out all the superfluous and read this. Will go much faster.

https://www.amazon.com/Jefferson-Bible- ... VGAKGFYRPV
I'm getting this for my adult granddaughter's Xmas present. She's got a really good head full of brains.

cessna210

Post by cessna210 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:49 am

I had the same issue. What worked for me was to start with Matthew and read the entire new testament, then work back to certain books in the old testament. When reading something and you come across the phrase "As it was written...", go back to the source. If you have a Bible that gives you references, it's very easy to go back to a Psalm or a passage written by one of the prophets, etc.

For a financial forum, Proverbs might be a place to visit. It has 31 chapters that you could read a chapter per day. Look for financial wisdom that stands the test of time.

retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:56 am

If you are interested in listening, I strongly suggest listening to the Old Testament read aloud. I bought a copy of ESV Bible from Crossway on Audible and listened to the OT from beginning to end while driving a very long commute last year (3 hours each way, 1-2 times a week). I have tried to read the OT end-to-end on paper multiple times and never could get through it.

What is amazing is that you realize that much of what seems so hard to read, is actually quite well composed for public/vocal reading (duh, most of its listeners were not literate or didn't have access to the precious scrolls.)

BTW, I found the New Testament exactly the opposite though.

gettingsmarter

Post by gettingsmarter » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:00 pm

1) Purchase the text of your preferred Bible version.
2) For the next 1189 days, read one chapter each day.
3) After you have completed reading the chapter, add that chapter as a recurring event to a Google calendar you want specifically for your Bible reading; set each event to recur after 1189 days for the 66 book version of the Bible.
4) Some chapters are too long for one event; split a large chapter up into two or three events; note the from and to verses in the title of the event so you know which one to read first when it is emailed to you.
5) Backup your Google calendar.
6) Enjoy receiving a chapter each day from now on in your email.
7) Some of your friends may want this; forward your daily email to them with rules you setup in gmail if the version you purchased allows this for copy-write purposes.
8) You may want to choose to archive the emails you receive the first time through, so you can search your emails for bible verses.

--

iamblessed

Post by iamblessed » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:30 pm

Kennedy wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:23 am
iamblessed wrote:
I'm curious if the reason you found it difficult for the first four months was because you found the old testament less interesting than later pages of the Bible? Or, did the habit just kick-in after four months? I'm asking this because I just could not get into Genesis, but I'm wondering if starting somewhere other than the beginning might be more interesting, as suggested by some responders here.
I love both the old and new testament. I think it was just getting use to the writing style. Another thing is to go slow at first maybe one chapter a day and stick to it. Don't worry if you don't understand something just keep reading. That understanding will come later to. Many people do start in the new testament because it is easier.

krb

Post by krb » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:52 pm

Hi again. For the person who found Genesis boring ... same recommendation. Artscroll Chumash Stone edition or the Chabad Chumach, 5 volume set. Start with bereishis (Genesis). It is written in an easy to read format and the commentary is dynamite. I would also recommend strongly: Rabbi Fohrman's books - The exodus you almost passed over (Exodus) and The queen you thought you knew (book of Esther) as well as his book on Adam and Eve. There is so much of the bible we read as kids and it got into our heads as 5 year olds and we never realized the subtle inconsistencies that hide amazing insights. Now as adults we can't quite get rid of our childish thoughts. I would say his books are fascinating and mindblowing. Please check them out. He has a website (alephbeta.com I think) that goes over the weekly portion too. I would recommend check out the website and look for the queen you thought you knew, the exodus you almost passed over, or the adam and eve story (I forget the name ... something about the beast crouching at the door?).

krb

Post by krb » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:53 pm

iamblessed wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:30 pm
Kennedy wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:23 am
iamblessed wrote:
I love both the old and new testament. I think it was just getting use to the writing style. Another thing is to go slow at first maybe one chapter a day and stick to it. Don't worry if you don't understand something just keep reading. That understanding will come later to. Many people do start in the new testament because it is easier.
There's a new one? I'm Jewish. Hadn't heard about that!

Workable Goblin

Post by Workable Goblin » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:05 pm

JoeRetire wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:02 am
There's nothing that's going to be easier than just starting at the beginning and reading. But only you can decide what would "keep your interest".
On the contrary, it's pretty well accepted that starting at the beginning and powering your way through is just about the worst and certainly the most difficult way to read the Bible, especially the first time. The trouble is that the early books of the Bible include lots and lots and lots of very boring technical legal material, especially the last half of Exodus and the rest of the Torah, which shuts down interest for most people. Usually Genesis isn't so bad because although there are sections of "X begat Y" that can make people's eyes glaze over there's also a lot of more interesting and well-known stories like the narrative of Joseph that people are usually interested enough in to go through the boring parts. But then you get past the first part of Exodus, and it transitions into page after page after page of stuff like [biblical quote removed by admin LadyGeek]. And that just kills most people's momentum, because even if there might be something more exciting and lively at the end, there's a long ways to go to get there.

That's why most Bible-study programs mix it up and dole out the Leviticus and Numbers and so on in smaller doses, alongside material like the Psalms or New Testament or even later parts of the Old Testament that people tend to find more invigorating and thought-provoking.

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:09 pm

I would recommend using a group approach with a good teacher. The disciple class is about 40 weeks long and has videos and group discussion. This approach helps in accountability and aides to n explaining references and background. It is hard to do it on your own.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:16 pm

Religion is a highly contentious topic, much more so than politics. A post containing a direct biblical quotation has been removed, a few replies, and one comment inside a post. This thread has run its course and is locked. See: Politics and Religion
In order to avoid the inevitable frictions that arise from these topics, political or religious posts and comments are prohibited. The only exceptions to this rule are:
  • Common religious expressions such as sending your prayers to an ailing member.
  • Usage of factual and non-derogatory political labels when necessary to the discussion at hand.
  • Discussions about enacted laws or regulations that affect the individual investor. Note that discussions of proposed legislation are prohibited.
  • Proposed regulations that are directly related to investing may be discussed if and when they are published for public comments.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.