Airline overhead bins...do you think they're assigned?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
investingdad

Airline overhead bins...do you think they're assigned?

Post by investingdad » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:15 pm

Here's the summary.

Flight back home on Saturday, very full.

My wife and I carry an AAdvantage credit card. Why? Because when we book on American it automatically puts us in Group 5 for early boarding. A paid perk.

Why board early? Well, I always figured to make sure I get an overhead bin. I was with my wife and kids so we had three carry on items.

So, we board. We had 4 middle seats in a 2x3x2 seating configuration. I used the overhead bins above the outside 2 seats for two items (they were bigger) and one directly over me for the smaller item.

Last group boards.

Woman and her kid get to the 2 outside seats across the aisle from me. Sees the bin directly over her is full. Asks whose luggage, I respond it's ours. She says, nope...that bin is hers because it has the seat numbers on it. This is Coach, by the way.

I reply that's not how it works and I can see the huffy attitude starting to come my way. I tell her I'll move one bag into the bin over me if it fits but the other won't. I squeezes it in but the other wasn't moving.

She's not happy about this but finds a spot a little ways back. She then proceeds to tell her kid that some people have no consideration but you have to learn to deal with them and not sink to there level.

I choose to ignore her and bite my tounge while she continues to reprimand me via what she says to her kid.

So.... that's the straight story. Am I wrong to have understood overhead coach bins as community space, first come, first served? Isn't that a perk for which I'm paying Anerican to get on early? Or am I wrong here?

KyleAAA

Re: Airline overhead bins...do you think they're assigned?

Post by KyleAAA » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:17 pm

You aren't wrong. It would be far better if airlines charged for carry on rather than checked luggage, but this is the system we're stuck with.
Last edited by KyleAAA on Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:18 pm

Yes, you are correct as far I know. (Tangential to your main train of thought, but I don't think it has anything to do with Economy Class either. There are just more bins/seat up front.)
Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow, | Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow. | None has ever caught him yet, for Tom, he is the master: | His songs are stronger songs, and his feet are faster.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:20 pm

Overhead bins are on a first come basis. Buy a good pair of headphones to ignore other passengers when necessary.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:20 pm

I'd press the flight attendant call button and when they came state, "This passenger would like help with their carry on. Thank you."
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Skinut

Post by Skinut » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:20 pm

You are 100% right. Now if you had put your bags in a first class or premium economy bin while flying in standard/basic/main economy, that's a different story.

Fclevz

Post by Fclevz » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:22 pm

Was she "Basic Economy"?
Apparently they aren't even supposed to have access to overhead bins.
https://qz.com/888333/american-airlines ... -to-board/

Topic Author
investingdad

Post by investingdad » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:23 pm

livesoft wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:20 pm
I'd press the flight attendant call button and when they came state, "This passenger would like help with their carry on. Thank you."
:sharebeer

I like this reply and will remember for next time.

apex84

Post by apex84 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:24 pm

Not assigned. Your luggage was where it belongs. If the other passenger has questions about bin space, they can address it with the crew.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:24 pm

You are correct, first come first serve.

If someone asked nicely, I would of course try and accomodate then within reason

I always just bring a backpack, which could fit under the seat in front of me technically; however, I put it in the bin overhead.

A flight attendant once asked if I could put my backpack under the seat, to which I replied it was my one bag and she could check it if she needed to. She did not.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:25 pm

investingdad wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:15 pm
She says, nope...that bin is hers because it has the seat numbers on it.
I don't think overhead bins are assigned. It has always appeared to me the numbers are identifying the seat below, not identifying who the overhead belongs so. But I can see how she could have thought that if she doesn't fly much.

Theratking

Post by Theratking » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:26 pm

You are absolutely correct. Bins are for everyone anywhere in Coach. Lifetime platinum Aadvantage member. 3+M miler.

I would have mentioned to the lady, possibly even her child “Some people have class and status.” While explaining how your family was smart enough to acquire upgrades that she can do on her next flight.

Make sure to remind them they are flying the friendly skies.

squirm

Post by squirm » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:29 pm

Lol, I sometimes have my stuff in overhead bins way in front of me. Sometimes I just throw it in the first bin I see empty. First come basis.

You did the right thing, just bite your tongue it's over now anyways.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:32 pm

This is why I check my luggage, or sometimes gate-check it. I don't want to fight over the bins. I board with group 2 on United because I have their credit card, but I usually check my luggage anyway.

I agree with the earlier poster. The airlines should charge for carryon luggage instead of charging for checked luggage.

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:39 pm

Perhaps this whole issue could be avoided if people didn't board planes with carry-on bags that just barely fit into an overhead bin.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:41 pm

You are not wrong, she was wrong for feeling entitled to something to which she was not entitled.

MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:43 pm

I'd have just played dumb when she asked.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:46 pm

The only bins that are reserved are the ones in Business/FC, and the ones above Main Cabin Extra, which are clearly marked as being reserved for the passengers booked in those sections. Everything else is a free-for-all. Those in the bulkhead rows (which are always in FC or MCE) are also entitled to put all their luggage in the overhead, as there is no seat in front under which a smaller bag can be placed.

And as another poster mentioned, if these folks were boarding in the last group (Group 9), that means they are Basic Economy, and are not entitled to the use of the overhead bins at all. Policy states they should have been denied boarding with any bags that would not fit under the seat in front of them. Larger bags must be gate-checked at prevailing rates.

Personally, I pay to check my rollaboard and board in Group 4 or 5 so that there is space for me to put my backpack in the overhead, because I'm tall and don't want anything under the seat in front of me. I board early enough that I could conceivably put both in the overhead, but this feels more "fair" to me.
Last edited by lazydavid on Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarkHelmetII

Post by DarkHelmetII » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:47 pm

Not assigned at seat or row level, but at cabin level (e.g. first / business) or possibly sub-cabin level (e.g. American Economy Extra per signage within the overhead bin space itself). Giving benefit of the doubt, maybe this other passenger did now know how things work but I agree unreasonable expectation to have existing bags moved simply because space immediately above their seat was occupied with baggage.

BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:50 pm

This is why I like Southwest (I know some people hate it!).

By not charging for checked bags, Southwest flights board so much faster because people aren't trying to push the limits of what can be defined as "carry on baggage."

It's a real benefit, I think.

Topic Author
investingdad

Post by investingdad » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:51 pm

I will give benefit of the doubt and suggest she may not have been last group / not economy basic and was permitted to have a bag. But well after Group 5.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:51 pm

livesoft wrote:
I agree. Not only does it eliminate you from the situation, but it has a chance at teaching this poor kid that their parent is wrong.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:54 pm

MotoTrojan wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:51 pm
I agree. Not only does it eliminate you from the situation, but it has a chance at teaching this poor kid that their parent is wrong.
I agree, I feel sorry for that kid growing up and adopting a false sense of entitlement from the mother.

Planner01

Post by Planner01 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:00 pm

I fly quite a bit for work and this is one of my pet peeves. I am usually on group 5 and towards the front of the coach seats. What happens is that the people that sit on those seats are usually groups 3 and 4 and take all of the overhead space above them. It’s usually men who refuse to put any of the items under the seat in front of them. So this leaves me with having to find space towards the back of the plane and then walk back to my seat. And then to off board I have to wait until the people in the rows behind me get off in order for me to retrieve my carryon.

My other pet peeve is when people sitting all the way in the back put the luggage towards the front so that they don’t have to drag them around the aisle of the plane. Again, not leaving room for the people that are actually sitting in that area.
Last edited by Planner01 on Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:00 pm

investingdad wrote:
Here's the summary.
My wife and I carry an AAdvantage credit card. Why? Because when we book on American it automatically puts us in Group 5 for early boarding. A paid perk.
Why board early? Well, I always figured to make sure I get an overhead bin. I was with my wife and kids so we had three carry on items.
So, we board. We had 4 middle seats in a 2x3x2 seating configuration. I used the overhead bins above the outside 2 seats for two items (they were bigger) and one directly over me for the smaller item.
Last group boards.
Woman and her kid get to the 2 outside seats across the aisle from me. Sees the bin directly over her is full. Asks whose luggage, I respond it's ours. She says, nope...that bin is hers because it has the seat numbers on it. This is Coach, by the way.
I reply that's not how it works and I can see the huffy attitude starting to come my way. I tell her I'll move one bag into the bin over me if it fits but the other won't. I squeezes it in but the other wasn't moving.
She's not happy about this but finds a spot a little ways back. She then proceeds to tell her kid that some people have no consideration but you have to learn to deal with them and not sink to there level.
I choose to ignore her and bite my tounge while she continues to reprimand me via what she says to her kid.
So.... that's the straight story. Am I wrong to have understood overhead coach bins as community space, first come, first served? Isn't that a perk for which I'm paying Anerican to get on early? Or am I wrong here?
I understand, currently at least, the same thing. In terms of the "volume" you used, seems like you did not have an extraordinary amount.

Can be a challenge, but very wise to not get into a confrontation. If things had gotten worse, the thing to do is call for a flight attendant to deal with it.

I think I recall seeing something recently about changing the "first come" rules about carry ons in the overhead bins.

I have several "pet peeves" about passengers and the overhead bins:
1. Folks who try to get a large carry on into a bin that is too small. it just will not fit - and they block the aisle for a while.
2. Folks who do not put the carry ons into the overhead bin in an efficient way - limiting how much will fit.

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:01 pm

We sometimes upgrade to main cabin extra, and I have seen signs in the bins above those seats that say "reserved for main cabin extra". Other than that (and the obvious first, business, premium economy), I think it's first come first serve. It's very common for people to use the bins on the opposite side from their seats (what you did). I often see later boarders take space where they can, even if it's several, sometimes many rows in front of where their seats are located. I have a miles card, and at least for the time being Gold status, and we board in Group 4. I joke with my wife that we're in the priority class basement. I usually check our bags, even when they're carry on size, just so i don't have to hassle with them when connecting, as well as on the plane. I often carry a back pack, and have never had a problem using the overhead bin.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:01 pm

Random Poster wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:39 pm
Perhaps this whole issue could be avoided if people didn't board planes with carry-on bags that just barely fit into an overhead bin.
Or do not fit!!

increment

Post by increment » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:02 pm

Anyone can look at the overhead bins and see that there is not room for every single coach passenger to put one bag in them (and of course bulkhead passengers may have two).
lazydavid wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:46 pm
if these folks were boarding in the last group (Group 9), that means they are Basic Economy, and are not entitled to the use of the overhead bins at all.
On American, basic economy passengers are allowed to use the overhead bins.

aerosurfer

Post by aerosurfer » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:02 pm

KyleAAA wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:17 pm
You aren't wrong. It would be far better if airlines charged for carry on rather than checked luggage, but this is the system we're stuck with.
My airline does..

Once you get past some of the dated reputation for marginal service and charging for everything, things like this work much better. We rarely have overhead bin issues, even on full flights. And According to marketing, at a cheaper price, but what do I know I just fly the plane

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:04 pm

Occasionally, the overhead bin right above your seat may not be available for any carry-ons. Some have "permanent" airline stuff there. Also, as I recall, the seating configuration does not normally line up with the overhead bin configuration.

Bobby206

Post by Bobby206 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:07 pm

It's first come first serve except perhaps in higher level cabins.

Having said that I do get tired of people that carry on a ton of bags. Just check them. It's really so much easier.

Mostly unrelated I have had several recent encounters, on Southwest (first come first serve seating), where people are reluctant to let me sit in the middle seat. They aren't saving it but they act like it's their special space. One lady even told me that the pilot announced there were a bunch of empty seats. I assured her I had heard but I wanted to sit near the front. People....

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:07 pm

aerosurfer wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:02 pm
KyleAAA wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:17 pm
My airline does..

Once you get past some of the dated reputation for marginal service and charging for everything, things like this work much better. We rarely have overhead bin issues, even on full flights. And According to marketing, at a cheaper price, but what do I know I just fly the plane
Which airline is that?

deltaneutral83

Post by deltaneutral83 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:10 pm

Planner01 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:00 pm
I fly quite a bit for work and this is one of my pet peeves. I am usually on group 5 and towards the front of the coach seats. What happens is that the people that sit on those seats are usually groups 3 and 4 and take all of the overhead space above them. It’s usually men who refuse to put any of the items under the seat in front of them. So this leaves me with having to find space towards the back of the plane and then walk back to my seat. And then to off board I have to wait until the people in the rows behind me get off in order for me to retrieve my carryon.

My other pet peeve is when people sitting all the way in the back put the luggage towards the front so that they don’t have to drag them around the aisle of the plane. Again, not leaving room for the people that are actually sitting in that area.
You shouldn't have issues in group #5 boarding on AA with overhead bin space on a regular basis?

Planner01

Post by Planner01 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:15 pm

deltaneutral83 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:10 pm
Planner01 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:00 pm

You shouldn't have issues in group #5 boarding on AA with overhead bin space on a regular basis?
It doesn’t happen often but it has happened a few times recently.

DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:18 pm

It was probably her first time on an airplane :twisted:

2pedals

Post by 2pedals » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:18 pm

Years ago when airlines started to charge for carry-on luggage the overhead bins got full on most flights. Charging for checked bags became a big money machine for airline companies while at the same time the airplane cargo area was underutilized. People didn't want to have to pay for checked luggage and some have found ways to avoid baggage fees by taking advantage of free checked bags at the gate or using their airline branded credit card perks. If you are trying to save money there is no reason why you can't ask for free bag check in at the gate. Others don't really care and don't want to use a overstuffed small suitcase so they pay the fees anyway to avoid the hassle.

arf30

Post by arf30 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:23 pm

In your situation I probably would have let the flight attendant handle things - however the airlines definintely love cramming too many people on a plane and putting their customers in situations where they have to fight over stuff like this.

NJdad6

Post by NJdad6 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:29 pm

HomeStretch wrote:
Overhead bins are on a first come basis. Buy a good pair of headphones to ignore other passengers when necessary.
+1. You were 100% in the right. I also board early and put my bag in the bin across from my seat so I can see it when someone is in the bin.

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:44 pm

First-come first served, but each person should just have one bag in the overheads until everyone has boarded and settled in. And, if there is room, the bags should go in the overhead above your seat(s) or across the aisle, otherwise as close to your seat as practical.

J295

Post by J295 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:49 pm

Twitter and airline flights can show some pretty dark sides of human behavior.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:51 pm

The woman would hate me. I put my luggage in the first available space. If that means it’s over row 10 and I’m in row 20 oh well.

The goal is to have your luggage in front of you, not behind you.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:55 pm

To be fair, if you use overhead bin above other passenger's seat. They have the right use it if their ask. in your situation, you would look other available bin or ask flight attendant for check in your bag. Think about youself if you in other situations, particular their have young kids. Think if there is fairness, there would be no hate.
Last edited by WhiteMaxima on Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:59 pm

rkhusky wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:44 pm
First-come first served, but each person should just have one bag in the overheads until everyone has boarded and settled in. And, if there is room, the bags should go in the overhead above your seat(s) or across the aisle, otherwise as close to your seat as practical.
I believe the OP stated that there were three carry on bags they put in the overhead bins. The OP also stated that there were (at least) 4 passengers (the OP, his wife and kids - I assume at least two). So, that is 3 bags in the overhead bins and four passengers.

Gort

Post by Gort » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:01 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:55 pm
To be fair, if you use overhead bin above other passenger's seat. They have the right use it if their ask. in your situation, you would look other available bin or ask flight attendant for check in your bag. Think about youself if you in other situations, particular their have young kids.
All rights are left behind after passing through security.

student

Post by student » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:05 pm

For the OP, four of them with three carry-ons in total. So nothing wrong here. However, bags should be put in bin closest to the seats. So if your seats were not close together, then I would say the bags should go with the seats accordingly.
Last edited by student on Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:05 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
To be fair, if you use overhead bin above other passenger's seat. They have the right use it if their ask. in your situation, you would look other available bin or ask flight attendant for check in your bag. Think about youself if you in other situations, particular their have young kids. Think if there is fairness, there would be no hate.
There are no rights on overhead bins.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:07 pm

investingdad wrote:
Here's the summary.

Last group boards.

Overhead compartments in the cheap seats are open (not reserved directly above corresponding seat assignments).

Also, Group 5 is not early boarding.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:07 pm

Gort wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:01 pm
WhiteMaxima wrote:
To be fair, if you use overhead bin above other passenger's seat. They have the right use it if their ask. in your situation, you would look other available bin or ask flight attendant for check in your bag. Think about youself if you in other situations, particular their have young kids.
All rights are left behind after passing through security.
It is probably a good thing that guns and knives would have been seized when passengers were being screened.

These kind of "altercations" can sometimes "escalate" to ridiculous levels. People have been murdered over lesser altercations.

KT785

Post by KT785 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:09 pm

MrBobcat wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:43 pm
Same here, and I've done so in the past in similar scenarios. :twisted:

KT785

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:10 pm

KT785 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:09 pm
MrBobcat wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:43 pm
Same here, and I've done so in the past in similar scenarios. :twisted:
KT785
BUT - make sure to smile a lot while "playing dumb"