Golf Clubs Question

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
davebo

Golf Clubs Question

Post by davebo » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:32 pm

This is probably a very rudimentary question, but just some background. I golfed quite a bit in elementary school, less so in HS/College, and ever since college I've golfed maybe once per year. My son recently started golfing and I went out maybe 10 times this summer, using the same old golf clubs I used when I was a kid.

I was thinking of upgrading my clubs to something newer, nothing fancy. My question is , for my skill level, are golf clubs more or less one size fits all? I was just going to buy clubs like these from Dicks since they were on sale.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/19 ... t20xlrdset

I'm 6'2" for the record. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Olemiss540

Re: Golf Clubs Question

Post by Olemiss540 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:35 pm

I am using 20 year old clubs as a 8 handicap.

Consider ebay as a source to buy more expensive sets used. Go hit some and narrow down which brands you like the most then start hunting ebay for a used set in your budget. Bought some titleist AP1s for under 200 shipped to give you an idea of pricing.
I hold index funds because I do not overestimate my ability to pick stocks OR stock pickers.

b42

Post by b42 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:37 pm

My dad was in a similar situation as you and got back into golf this past summer. We looked at some sets at Dicks and picked up a similar Top Flite set (I think they were $179.99). They have worked out well and he is still using the set, although he did buy a traditional 4 iron online (he says he hits it better). The price difference between this set and "better" sets is so much ($200-$400) that we decided to go cheap until he feels that he wants to upgrade certain clubs (if that even ever happens). It's a lot of value for the price, I'd get them.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:38 pm

Dick’s owns Golf Galaxy. Go in and ask about inexpensive clubs for a beginner. You can swing the clubs in various sets in the store, the sales associate can make recommendations based on height, swing speed, etc., and in my area they’ll lend you clubs to try out on the course. The sets may or may not include a putter or driver.
Last edited by HomeStretch on Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:39 pm

Topic moved to Personal Consumer Issues.

TSR

Post by TSR » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:20 pm

6'2" seems a little tall for one-size-fits-all clubs. The good news is you're not so tall that you need super-customized clubs. I'd see if you can't try out some clubs and then look online for a set that's at a +1" or +2" or so. I bought a somewhat tall used set at Golf Galaxy and it feels right -- I'm your height. Someone more knowledgeable than me might be able to give you more exact specs.

GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:41 pm

You might consider trying off-the-rack clubs at a golf shop to see if they seem to fit well enough for your purposes. If so, you'll likely be able to manage with such a set.

Static fitting might give you some guidance, e.g., https://nflightweb.ping.com/ or https://www.taylormadegolf.com/recommen ... ng=default

Buying used might be a viable option. Club technology does evolve, so if your current set is more than 5 years old, you may gain some advantages from a newer, but still not brand-new, set.

For newer or otherwise inconsistent players, a partial set can save you money. That is, buy what would be every other club in a conventional set rather than every club. Once your swing and distances are consistent with each club, you can fill in the set or buy a new complete set to take advantage of your precision.
Last edited by GmanJeff on Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dsmil

Post by dsmil » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:51 pm

What's your budget and skill level? If it's truly $150, then I'm not sure what other option you have. But if you're willing to spend more, I think buying quality used clubs is the way to go. My favorite website is globalgolf.com. Lie angle and club length for irons are important and have the most to do with the measurement of your wrist to floor when standing upright. Ping has a nice chart which could help you out (https://ping.com/en-us/fitting/custom-f ... code-chart). If you buy a forged iron set, a club fitter can bend them for cheap if needed down the road.

theta

Post by theta » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:52 pm

Height is not the primary determining factor for if you need longer (or shorter) clubs.
The primary determining factor is the distance of your fingertips from the floor when standing upright. Taller people “may” have very long arms and thus can get by with regular length golf clubs. But a tall person with regular length arms will need longer clubs. The ping static fitting site should be able to tell you more specifics...

Murgatroyd

Post by Murgatroyd » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:00 pm

At 6’2 you may also benefit from “midsize” grips if you have large hands. So you know, over the past 10-15 years all golf clubs have gotten longer. You may find a standard set 1 to 1.5 inches longer than your old clubs. This, and strengthening lofts is the marketing magic in claiming longer distances. If you did a fitting they would surely spec something longer. For your purposes, go for it, a potential inch in club length won’t change your enjoyment.

While you’re at Dick’s pick up some Maxfli balls. Dicks owns the brand and it’s hard to beat the value.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:03 pm

Many years ago I played a lot of customer golf, badly. So, to reduce some of my embarrassment, along with a couple of friends, I took some lessons with a local pro.

One question that arose in our group was the quality of our clubs. So she took a club out of each of our bags, and basically hit every shot within a small diameter circle, no matter which of our clubs she used.

Her advice: make sure you have the right size clubs, more important than the name on them.

So, I measured up and bought a set of clubs from West Georgia Golf Company. Having the proper size clubs allowed me to play as poorly as ever! :oops:

When I stopped playing customer golf I discovered the high price of playing a round, when I had to pay for it, so I sold my clubs to a peer. I enjoyed going around the courses, as the ones I played were beautiful. And, eating steak and swilling alcohol paid for by MegaCorp was certainly nice.

OP, at the least get the right size clubs. As well, if there is there is a Play it Again Sports store near you, they have lots of used sports equipment, very reasonably priced.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:43 pm

You can go try some out at Dick's or Golf Galaxy for free. The thing that matters is the flex and the length. For your skill level, it MIGHT not really matter much, but having the right flex of club for your swing will help with your feel and straightness. I'd then attempt to buy some clubs off ebay or craigslist. I swung the same clubs for almost 20 years, as an occasional golfer, but I do feel I've gotten better since getting new clubs. But I think it has to do more with my knowledge of the game than the actual clubs I'm using.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:31 pm

Use the clubs you have now.
Spend money on a series of lessons from a PGA pro.
Then, depending on frequency of play and budget, have clubs "fitted" at an authorized Titliest, Ping, etc.

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:35 pm

Golf clubs depreciate like a rock.

A 2-5 year old set of +1/2" or +1" irons will be 75% off from new. Maybe more.

eBay is a great resource for used clubs. You can search for "RH Taylormade +1/2 iron set". Just an example.

If your swing is good (lessons and practice) you can play with any clubs. The newer irons and drivers are more forgiving and have a bigger sweet spot.

If you had a great swing, the old blades from the 80s and 90s scored pretty low too.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words. Whole food, plant based. Bing it.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:29 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:35 pm
Golf clubs depreciate like a rock.

A 2-5 year old set of +1" or +2" irons will be 75% off from new. Maybe more.

eBay is a great resource for used clubs. You can search for "RH Taylormade +1 iron set". Just an example.

If your swing is good (lessons and practice) you can play with any clubs. The newer irons and drivers are more forgiving and have a bigger sweet spot.

If you had a great swing, the old blades from the 80s and 90s scored pretty low too.
I'm a leftie and I took a golf class eons ago at a community college. The instructor took my left handed club and used it right handed and easily hit the ball straight and a good 200+ yards with the wrong side (face) of the club.

There are different clubs for different types of swings (slow, fast) and if you are very tall/short they can be sized. In my case until (and that may be never) I can play consistently well, I just buy mostly cheap clubs online. A high end club isn't going to improve my score with my current swing.

pahkcah

Post by pahkcah » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:13 pm

Agree with theta that the length of the clubs is not strictly dependent on height. Also agree with Sandtrap that a couple of lessons would be of benefit, followed by a fitting if you decide to buy a new set of clubs. In addition to club length, a fitting would also determine the proper loft and shaft stiffness based on how you strike the ball...and your clubhead speed.

Look for a set of clubs that is best for your game, which could be the least expensive or most expensive option available, or somewhere in between.

Hit em straight!

pahkcah

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:54 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:31 pm
Use the clubs you have now.
Spend money on a series of lessons from a PGA pro.
Then, depending on frequency of play and budget, have clubs "fitted" at an authorized Titliest, Ping, etc.

I agree. And one of the things you should ask the PGA pro is how well the clubs fit. At this point, you probably don't need a full fitting -- your swing is unlikely to be stable -- hopefully it will change for the better. But if the clubs are really a poor fit for you, that might trigger a purchase now (used clubs, whatever is economical).

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:02 pm

Olemiss540 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:35 pm

Consider ebay as a source to buy more expensive sets used. Go hit some and narrow down which brands you like the most then start hunting ebay for a used set in your budget. Bought some titleist AP1s for under 200 shipped to give you an idea of pricing.
You are a better golfer than I am, but if you are really using 20 year old clubs, you are surely giving up 20 or 30 yards off the tee, and 10 or 15 yards through the bag on the other clubs (more from the woods). Maybe you hit it so far you don't need the extra yards, most of us don't have that problem ....

I got fitted this year and picked up 10 to 15 yards on the irons through the bag. With a higher ball flight. Made a real difference on my approach shots. Also got a 5 wood I could hit off the deck better (my woods and irons were 10 years old, my driver was newer, so less difference there).

dbforbes

Post by dbforbes » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:09 pm

You won't go wrong with a package like this, and you'll save tons of money when compared with what you'll pay for the names.

https://shop.touredge.com/collections/c ... 7297503341

Enjoy!

Olemiss540

Post by Olemiss540 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:40 pm

TN_Boy wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:02 pm
Olemiss540 wrote:

You are a better golfer than I am, but if you are really using 20 year old clubs, you are surely giving up 20 or 30 yards off the tee, and 10 or 15 yards through the bag on the other clubs (more from the woods). Maybe you hit it so far you don't need the extra yards, most of us don't have that problem ....

I got fitted this year and picked up 10 to 15 yards on the irons through the bag. With a higher ball flight. Made a real difference on my approach shots. Also got a 5 wood I could hit off the deck better (my woods and irons were 10 years old, my driver was newer, so less difference there).
To be honest, my woods are updated to more modern equipment. Still using King Cobra II irons with hump shafts, a ping isopure putter and an 80s copper King Cobra spin wedge.

I am sure the irons give up a little distance, but from my experience they give up more horizontal accuracy then length to the newer equipment. I am amazed at how straight/far some of the off center hits can be with the newer iron tech.
I hold index funds because I do not overestimate my ability to pick stocks OR stock pickers.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:56 pm

pahkcah wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:13 pm
Agree with theta that the length of the clubs is not strictly dependent on height. Also agree with Sandtrap that a couple of lessons would be of benefit, followed by a fitting if you decide to buy a new set of clubs. In addition to club length, a fitting would also determine the proper loft and shaft stiffness based on how you strike the ball...and your clubhead speed.

Look for a set of clubs that is best for your game, which could be the least expensive or most expensive option available, or somewhere in between.

Hit em straight!

pahkcah
+1
Excellent advice.
My game switched into single digits for many decades after a free fitting while visiting the Ping factory in Phoenix, AZ.
(also a very good regular coach with monthly tuneups.)
Technology does indeed change and one should take advantage of it.
IE: when Titleist came out with the AP series, Ping the "square grooves", then "I" and "G" series, etc.

1. Establish a consistent swing groove and rhythm with predictable ball contact and flight path. (consistent lessons and tuneups)
2. Get fitted for clubs that fit your physiology, "feel", and #1.
3. When you find what works for you, stick with it.
3b. When you know what "specs" fit for you, stick with clubs that are "spec'd" for you so the "feel" is consistent.
This includes length (over or under), swingweight, loft/lie, grip size, etc.
4. Look at your clubs as tools of a sport that bring joy. Like a quality tennis raquet, etc. It doesn't matter what the score is.
IE: I can have a great time playing lousy golf with custom clubs. Ha!!!!

J295

Post by J295 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:02 pm

Lifetime golfer here. 60-year-old 7 handicap.

Take a look at the golfwrx forum. Good group. You may also want to post this question there to get some insights. If you do then describe your athleticism, current golf performance, and anticipated commitment for the future.

Clubs are not one-size-fits-all. For example, shaft flex, particularly in the driver, is very important and is variable based upon the player.

As a data point, I’m 6‘3“ and my clubs are +1/2 inch with a stiff flex shaft. That’s based upon a professional fitting. An earlier poster is correct that it’s not my height, but the distance from my fingertips to the ground that primarily affects shaft length.

Ultimately, I can’t give any good advice over the Internet on something like this. So I think you need to visit with someone who can flesh out what might really be appropriate for you given your situation. It can be a PGA pro, or quite honestly if you were here I’d have you meet with me and a couple of guys in our golf group (each tournament golfers and each state amateur champs and golf club geeks) who could get you set up with some good used clubs.

I love the game, and hope you do too.
Last edited by J295 on Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:12 pm

I think that set will work fine for you just starting out again after all of these years. You will know by the second golf season if you want to continue to play on a more regular basis. A lesson or 2 from someone at your favorite course will help you get on the right track sooner. You don't have to have a great swing to be good, but it helps. I am a controlled hacker that no one would emulate, but I score in the mid to high 70s on 18 holes. You will have bad rounds too, but just remember you are there for the fun and companionship of other golfers or your son.
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:40 pm

Olemiss540 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:40 pm
TN_Boy wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:02 pm
Olemiss540 wrote:

To be honest, my woods are updated to more modern equipment. Still using King Cobra II irons with hump shafts, a ping isopure putter and an 80s copper King Cobra spin wedge.

I am sure the irons give up a little distance, but from my experience they give up more horizontal accuracy then length to the newer equipment. I am amazed at how straight/far some of the off center hits can be with the newer iron tech.
Your swing speed is probably a lot higher than mine. I was at the point where they switched me to senior flex on the irons. My ego insisted I try the same irons with regular flex, and they went *almost* as far as when the senior flex was used, but the ball flight wasn't as high. The combination of new technology and a less stiff shaft gave me almost 15 yards with a higher ball flight. That was pretty useful.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:07 am

dbforbes wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:09 pm
You won't go wrong with a package like this, and you'll save tons of money when compared with what you'll pay for the names.

https://shop.touredge.com/collections/c ... 7297503341

Enjoy!
I think you will go very wrong:) But this is like pretty much every consumer good (cars, tvs, computers, clothes,....). You can go get low end stuff that does say 70% of what the stuff costing 2-3x as much. It is up to you if it is worth it or not. Personally I would find some used set of irons from 3-4 years ago. The quaility of those clubs is a noticeably better than the cheap sets AND golf clubs depreciate faster than german luxury cars.

At 6'2, depending on arm length you might think about custom clubs (can get them used). You could look up the ping club fitting chart. Doing it at home is far from ideal but if the chart recommends +1, you might want to try hitting clubs that length (most stores have them for demos) to see if they feel more comfortable.

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:19 am

I would probably just buy some used set from facebook marketplace, or even ebay. I would tell you to get fitted...but unless you can replicate your swing each time, custom fitted clubs will not do a whole lot.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:54 am

ponyboy wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:19 am
I would probably just buy some used set from facebook marketplace, or even ebay. I would tell you to get fitted...but unless you can replicate your swing each time, custom fitted clubs will not do a whole lot.
+1
Thus, take a lesson series from a PGA pro with the goal of establishing a correct and consistent swing groove and consistent ball flight and contact. Then, occasional "tuneups" to maintain that.
There's another aspect of golf that is rewarding when one is playing well and predictably.

michaelingp

Post by michaelingp » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:36 am

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:03 pm
One question that arose in our group was the quality of our clubs. So she took a club out of each of our bags, and basically hit every shot within a small diameter circle, no matter which of our clubs she used.
Same experience. I went to golf camp. I was very embarrassed about my cheap clubs. The instructor took a driver from my bag and hit the ball straight down the fairway as far as I could see.

J295

Post by J295 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:22 pm

michaelingp wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:36 am
Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:03 pm
Same experience. I went to golf camp. I was very embarrassed about my cheap clubs. The instructor took a driver from my bag and hit the ball straight down the fairway as far as I could see.
If the point is that clubs don't matter, that's false. If the point is that athleticism and golf skills matter, that's true. Most higher level players can hit any club out of your bag straight and reasonably far. Yet, they all play very precise (typically fitted) clubs (and balls) because they are an important part of the mix. But, we're visiting now about OP, who is not (yet?) proficient. Thus, the "game improvement" clubs will help him. Playing old heavy blade irons and persimmon woods are not going to help him enjoy the experience and progress.

To be sure, instruction is important. I'll take a player with a solid game and so so clubs over the player who tries to buy his way to success with clubs. I take instruction/coaching (and not all coaches are created equal regardless of certification).

tm3

Post by tm3 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:19 pm

One of the golf magazines sent several golfers of different skill level and gender to IIRC 4 different club fitters for custom sets. Each golfer ended up with different spec clubs, depending on the fitter ie different lie angle, shaft flex, etc. Conclusion: fitting is not an exact science (although it certainly may be beneficial for a skilled player). For a beginner, I echo the recommendation of a used set. Some golfers buy new clubs almost seasonally, and there are deals to be had.

If you are of average strength I would recommend getting regular flex shafts. Less than average, get senior flex. Don't think macho and buy stiff shafts -- shafts that are too stiff will rob you of distance, and another study I read concluded that most golfers play with shafts that are too stiff.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:49 pm

There are some clubs brands that are definitely easier to hit than others. Ping is generally recommended in our area as one of those. Decisions involve whether you will hit the lower irons such as those from about a 5 on down or hybrids. Most amateur golfers around here would recommend mid-size grips which are larger than the typical ones. I typically use clubs that are a generation or so back and purchase from eBay where, for example, a set of G30 Pings run about $300. You can buy a nice driver at a substantial discount, and should have no difficulty finding a store that sells used clubs.
I would go to such a store and tell them of your situation. They will help with recommendations and suggest either metal or graphite shafts.
Tim