Cloud storage or local SSD hard drive: cost factors

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
tenkuky
Posts: 889
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:28 pm

Cloud storage or local SSD hard drive: cost factors

Post by tenkuky » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:40 pm

As I'm upgrading my desktop computer, I'm taking stock of our storage options and realized we have been paying for the following:
1. Dropbox Individual: was $99 a year, now increased to $119 a year with 2 TB storage.
Pro: good for syncing files across devices and sharing files between family members.
Con: Cost, plus we have only used 200 GB so far, and don't have large files (mainly pics, documents etc)
2. Apple iCloud storage: $0.99 per month for 50 GB storage.
Pro: good for the iPhone pics only
Con: may be redundant, but what is a better way to store the phone pics?
3. New external drive: My ordered desktop has 512 GB SSD hard drive, but I'm thinking of getting another external one for 1 TB for approx. $50 (also SSD).

My questions to board are:
1. What am I missing if I get rid of cloud storage and opt just for computer storage with external drive back up for files?
2. Anything cheaper out there for cloud if I choose to keep cloud (for access from anywhere) and if I need only 500 GB or less?
3. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

jebmke
Posts: 9835
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Cloud storage or local SSD hard drive: cost factors

Post by jebmke » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:45 pm

If you have an Amazon Prime account, you can store unlimited amount of photos at no cost (other than your prime account fee).

Keep in mind that cloud storage is not the same as a backup. So, whatever you choose, you should have a legitimate backup solution.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

squirm
Posts: 1938
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:53 am

Re: Cloud storage or local SSD hard drive: cost factors

Post by squirm » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:52 pm

Onedrive is $2 a month for 100gig. or just get the office 365 for $70/yr with a terabyte.

Dakotah
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:28 pm

Re: Cloud storage or local SSD hard drive: cost factors

Post by Dakotah » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:55 pm

A cloud service will be inherently safer from data-loss. If you value your data, it's the way to go.

If you insist on local storage...i would not recommend an external SSD. SSDs need to be powered-on periodically to prevent loss of data. Regular HDD's don't have that limitation (and are cheaper, to boot).

You may also want to look at optical media (BD-R, DVD-R). While less convenient, they are considered to be hardier than SSD/HDD.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2984597 ... -data.html

User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 4883
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am
Location: In a house

Re: Cloud storage or local SSD hard drive: cost factors

Post by RickBoglehead » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:57 pm

Buying an external SSD is a waste of money. Storage does not require SSD speed. An SSD provides fast bootup.

An external drive's speed will be impacted by the interface. If you have a USB 3.0 port, get a USB 3.0 external drive. It is 10x faster than 2.0.

I just bought a 4tb internal hard drive to put in an old desktop with a 500gb SSD. The 4tb internal was $72. It will hold backups.

Backup the backup to a stand alone drive monthly and store off-site.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

jebmke
Posts: 9835
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Cloud storage or local SSD hard drive: cost factors

Post by jebmke » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:00 pm

Google has several bulk storage plans that can be extremely inexpensive depending on how frequently you generally access the data. As low as .007 per gig per month. I'm sure Amazon has similar offerings.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

phantom cosmonaut
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:57 pm

Re: Cloud storage or local SSD hard drive: cost factors

Post by phantom cosmonaut » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:07 pm

You want to have both a local and a non-local backup, so the two are not interchangeable. The non-local cloud backup protects you from the possibility that your house burns up. The local backup protects you from the possibility that your cloud backup provider fails in one way or another. Also, having two forms of backup protects your from the possibility that a single backup solution results in corrupted files or other strange problems.

Topic Author
tenkuky
Posts: 889
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:28 pm

Re: Cloud storage or local SSD hard drive: cost factors

Post by tenkuky » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:27 pm

Thanks to all the helpful guidance!
I'll keep both cloud and local storage as a result.

I'm looking at Microsoft One Drive and Office 365 and Google as well as Amazon.
Question for Amazon: do you they allow all types of files? The webpage gives impression it's for photos and videos only.

I'll skip the external HD, use the internal and use old school removable discs as another back-up.

02nz
Posts: 2501
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Cloud storage or local SSD hard drive: cost factors

Post by 02nz » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:28 pm

It sounds like you use Windows. If so, OneDrive is really well-integrated into Windows 10 and is probably the best choice. There's a nice feature that allows you to select which files/folders to store locally (while also being backed up in the cloud) and which only in the cloud. The smartphone apps are very good and allow you to automatically back up photos from the phone as well. As another posted the price is low, free if you use Office 365.

PlayingLife
Posts: 347
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:10 pm

Re: Cloud storage or local SSD hard drive: cost factors

Post by PlayingLife » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:30 pm

I bought an external drive for around $99, approximately 5 years ago. It's used to store photos which I also have and typically upload to my macbook. I actually keep it in a fire proof safe and don't use online storage. I do a mass backup of my macbook two or three times a year to capture the latest files. One of my friends says I'm preparing for Fallout haha. I just don't like the idea of being financially tied to online storage for life nor do I trust those companies from keeping my photos 100% safe.

User avatar
wageoghe
Posts: 582
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 8:28 am
Location: Northern Alabama

Re: Cloud storage or local SSD hard drive: cost factors

Post by wageoghe » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:43 pm

RE your iPhone photos, iCloud storage, and Windows ... You can get an iCloud client for your Windows computer that will sync iCloud photos, documents, etc with Windows. You can download it from Apple.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204283

Topic Author
tenkuky
Posts: 889
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:28 pm

Re: Cloud storage or local SSD hard drive: cost factors

Post by tenkuky » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:48 pm

wageoghe wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:43 pm
RE your iPhone photos, iCloud storage, and Windows ... You can get an iCloud client for your Windows computer that will sync iCloud photos, documents, etc with Windows. You can download it from Apple.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204283
This is great to know!
For sure then, I can get rid of Apple Cloud storage.
Looks like I can move everything to OneDrive.
Then, I'll stop paying Dropbox.
I already have Office 2013 Pro, so wouldn't need the 365.

TN_Boy
Posts: 1255
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: Cloud storage or local SSD hard drive: cost factors

Post by TN_Boy » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:02 pm

tenkuky wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:40 pm
As I'm upgrading my desktop computer, I'm taking stock of our storage options and realized we have been paying for the following:
1. Dropbox Individual: was $99 a year, now increased to $119 a year with 2 TB storage.
Pro: good for syncing files across devices and sharing files between family members.
Con: Cost, plus we have only used 200 GB so far, and don't have large files (mainly pics, documents etc)
2. Apple iCloud storage: $0.99 per month for 50 GB storage.
Pro: good for the iPhone pics only
Con: may be redundant, but what is a better way to store the phone pics?
3. New external drive: My ordered desktop has 512 GB SSD hard drive, but I'm thinking of getting another external one for 1 TB for approx. $50 (also SSD).

My questions to board are:
1. What am I missing if I get rid of cloud storage and opt just for computer storage with external drive back up for files?
2. Anything cheaper out there for cloud if I choose to keep cloud (for access from anywhere) and if I need only 500 GB or less?
3. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
You want off-site backups.

The only way to be sure you are up to date on backups if your house burned down, or somebody stole your computer and external drive, is a cloud backup. People talk about doing a manual backup occasionally and storing off site, but there are obvious flaws with that approach.

We back up (encrypted) to local external drive and the cloud.

sd323232
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:45 pm

Re: Cloud storage or local SSD hard drive: cost factors

Post by sd323232 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:48 pm

Dakotah wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:55 pm
A cloud service will be inherently safer from data-loss. If you value your data, it's the way to go.

If you insist on local storage...i would not recommend an external SSD. SSDs need to be powered-on periodically to prevent loss of data. Regular HDD's don't have that limitation (and are cheaper, to boot).

You may also want to look at optical media (BD-R, DVD-R). While less convenient, they are considered to be hardier than SSD/HDD.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2984597 ... -data.html
Never heard that SSD lose data if not powered on periodically. I just dug up one of my ssd drives that i didnt power on for about a year. Everything was still there.

Dakotah
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:28 pm

Re: Cloud storage or local SSD hard drive: cost factors

Post by Dakotah » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:58 pm

sd323232 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:48 pm
Dakotah wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:55 pm
A cloud service will be inherently safer from data-loss. If you value your data, it's the way to go.

If you insist on local storage...i would not recommend an external SSD. SSDs need to be powered-on periodically to prevent loss of data. Regular HDD's don't have that limitation (and are cheaper, to boot).

You may also want to look at optical media (BD-R, DVD-R). While less convenient, they are considered to be hardier than SSD/HDD.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2984597 ... -data.html
Never heard that SSD lose data if not powered on periodically. I just dug up one of my ssd drives that i didnt power on for about a year. Everything was still there.
A year isn't out of the expected data-retention range. When we're talking about true, long-term archiving of data...you could go many years without accessing the drives. An SSD isn't the way to go in that case. According to the link I provided...

"External SSDs are rugged and virtually shock-proof, but the NAND they use won’t hold data forever. The cells, which are electron traps, leak over time. The technology is also relatively new, so no one is quite sure how long an SSD will retain data when stored unpowered, but you won’t find companies touting them for long-term backup. Figure 10 years as a best case scenario, but don’t rely on it.

Advice: If you use SSDs, refresh the data on them every year or two and replace them every 10. Better yet, use something else.
"

User avatar
wageoghe
Posts: 582
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 8:28 am
Location: Northern Alabama

Re: Cloud storage or local SSD hard drive: cost factors

Post by wageoghe » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:08 pm

tenkuky wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:48 pm
wageoghe wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:43 pm
RE your iPhone photos, iCloud storage, and Windows ... You can get an iCloud client for your Windows computer that will sync iCloud photos, documents, etc with Windows. You can download it from Apple.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204283
This is great to know!
For sure then, I can get rid of Apple Cloud storage.
Looks like I can move everything to OneDrive.
Then, I'll stop paying Dropbox.
I already have Office 2013 Pro, so wouldn't need the 365.
The iCloud client for Windows is a client FOR iCloud storage. It gives access to your iCloud data (photos, files, etc - eg the photos from your iPhone that are automatically synced to iCloud) via your Windows computer. So, no, the iCloud Windows client does not mean that you can drop iCloud storage. If you don’t want iCloud storage, you don’t have to use it. But, if you do use iCloud storage, the iCloud client makes it easy to access that storage from a Windows computer. Hopefully that is not too confusing.

spae
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:29 pm

Re: Cloud storage or local SSD hard drive: cost factors

Post by spae » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:59 pm

sd323232 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:48 pm
Never heard that SSD lose data if not powered on periodically.
This is easy to confirm if you Google for any flash memory or SSD datasheet. Keep in mind that everyone who's tested these has found that claims in datasheets overstate the durability of SSDs.
sd323232 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:48 pm
I just dug up one of my ssd drives that i didnt power on for about a year. Everything was still there.
How do you know? What's your checksumming and scrubbing process?

Post Reply