Gizmodo Ring Doorbell Article - Is Nest (Google) any better or is this the world we live in?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
eagerinvester

Gizmodo Ring Doorbell Article - Is Nest (Google) any better or is this the world we live in?

Post by eagerinvester » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:14 pm

https://gizmodo.com/dont-buy-anyone-a-r ... 1840070640

Thoughts on this article from the Boglehead community?

The alternative seems to be Nest which is owned by Google, although at this point, I’m getting weary of anything owned by either Google or Amazon relating to privacy (and I’m not touching anything from Facebook with a ten foot pole). I’d like to look into a video doorbell, or even some of the smart home smoke detectors but these large companies’ track records continue to nosedive and I’m not sure it’s worth the trade off.

smitcat

Re: Gizmodo Ring Doorbell Article - Is Nest (Google) any better or is this the world we live in?

Post by smitcat » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:17 pm

It really depends on what exactly you are hoping to accomplish with the item you buy.

jebmke

Re: Gizmodo Ring Doorbell Article - Is Nest (Google) any better or is this the world we live in?

Post by jebmke » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:24 pm

a lot of stuff seems to come with wifi now. I have tried to isolate as much as possible on a guest network that has no access to the internet. Some things like the ROKU have to have internet access but certainly the Roomba and the sous vid machine do not. Hopefully I don't get attacked by my Roomba in the middle of the night. I think I can set the active hours in the router to limit the guest network to certain hours. I'd never put in anything like these video doorbells or echos or any similar devices.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

wstrdg

Post by wstrdg » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:47 pm

We have used Netgear's Arlo Pro 2 for over a year and are happy with it. We don't subscribe to their cloud service -- we just view any footage as soon as we can, save what we want, delete the rest.

The cameras are mounted by magnet, so there's no wiring required. On the downside, that means you do need to recharge them, but battery life is good if you don't point it at a high traffic target. Another downside, they are easy to steal. But we use ours primarily to monitor the wildlife in the backyard area, so thieves are not so much of a problem. The one that monitors our front door can only be reached by ladder. On the upside, you can buy extra magnet mounts and move the cameras around.

Costco frequently runs a great sale on these. The new Arlo Pro 3 has just been released. I think cloud subscription might be required with this model due to the larger file size.

It has a mobile app. We can see the mail and other deliveries while we are away. And watch the nightly parade of deer, racoons, bats (they love these cameras), etc

petulant

Post by petulant » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:49 pm

It's a bit amusing that Gizmodo thinks local police departments being able to obtain data from street-facing cameras is a categorically larger concern than Google knowing everything about you.

Teague

Post by Teague » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:53 pm

These doorbell cameras fascinate me. Mainly because they sell so many of them these days, and I don't know why. None of the criminals in my area ever seem to use the front door.

They use side doors, windows, garage doors, back doors, doggy doors, sliding doors, really anything and everything except front doors. Yes, I know these devices could theoretically catch a thief lifting that rush shipment of cat treats sitting on your porch. But the judicious wearing of a hoodie or placing a hand over their face for a bit would easily defeat that.

I guess they might put the fear of God into, well, whom exactly? The LDS or Jehova's witnesses?
Semper Augustus

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:56 pm

I have several devices that I put only on the Guest network. They need the internet to function, but I'm not giving them access to my home network.

The video doorbells sense motion, so anyone walking by the front of the house will get filmed. We just installed one in our cottage and can see what's going on, and will be installing one at our house when it arrives tomorrow. However, ours are tied to an alarm system (SimpliSafe) which we already have, so there is no additional cost for the video component.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

AznSaver

Post by AznSaver » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:56 pm

I am big fan of the Eufy products by Anker.

They have released a doorbell with local storage and no subscription costs.
https://www.amazon.com/Security-Doorbel ... ast_sto_dp

I currently have their Eufy-Cam security camera system and have enjoyed the system:
No subscription fee (This is a deal breaker for me if there is), no wiring/amazing battery life, great image quality/field of view, local storage and good app.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:59 pm

Teague wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:53 pm
These doorbell cameras fascinate me. Mainly because they sell so many of them these days, and I don't know why. None of the criminals in my area ever seem to use the front door.

They use side doors, windows, garage doors, back doors, doggy doors, sliding doors, really anything and everything except front doors. Yes, I know these devices could theoretically catch a thief lifting that rush shipment of cat treats sitting on your porch. But the judicious wearing of a hoodie or placing a hand over their face for a bit would easily defeat that.

I guess they might put the fear of God into, well, whom exactly? The LDS or Jehova's witnesses?
"These doorbell cameras fascinate me. Mainly because they sell so many of them these days, and I don't know why. None of the criminals in my area ever seem to use the front door."
Exactly - I often ask what the exact goal of the device is , but never really understand how these can deliver on most stated goals.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:12 pm

AznSaver wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:56 pm

I currently have their Eufy-Cam security camera system and have enjoyed the system:
No subscription fee (This is a deal breaker for me if there is), no wiring/amazing battery life, great image quality/field of view, local storage and good app.
I don’t currently have one but Eufy would be the one I would get. I not a fan of all the cloud stuff and avoid the Echos and the like.

William4589

Post by William4589 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:33 pm

Teague wrote:

:thumbsup

Dakotah

Post by Dakotah » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:52 pm

Teague wrote:

These things do have a real deterrent effect. While it is true that entry is often from other points of entry (so that neighbors won't see), the incident often begins with an approach to the front door. The last thing a petty criminal wants to do is sneak in the backdoor and come face-to-face with an unexpected occupant or a big dog. The best way to determine if the house is truly empty is to knock on the front door. Does someone answer? Does a dog bark? If not...look in the windows. If it seems empty...then you can move to find a more discreet entrance. If, however, you go to knock on the front door and find yourself being caught by video-surveillance...you best just move along.

dachshunddad

Post by dachshunddad » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:54 pm

I think the product functions great. I have the doorbell and floodlight cams around the house. I do have an indoor cam that I only use when out of town. It would be creepy to have your indoor stuff recorded. But recording motion events outside doesn't bother me. I know exactly when a package is delivered and anytime someone approaches the house. A burglar could rob the house but you would know before he even got to the door.

arf30

Post by arf30 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:55 pm

We've got the Nest Hello and it's been pretty great at letting us know when people or deliveries show up. Also lets us disable the internal doorbell for times we know someone's coming and we don't want the dog barking. We didn't get it for security purposes so I can't comment on that aspect.

muddgirl

Post by muddgirl » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:56 pm

Dakotah wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:52 pm
If, however, you go to knock on the front door and find yourself being caught by video-surveillance...you best just move along.
In this case, a fake doorbell camera would be cheaper and more secure.

I will say Ring has some of the best viral marketing game. I see their "organic" videos everywhere, all careful to mention that this or that package thief was caught on a Ring camera.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:00 pm

AznSaver wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:56 pm

Interesting. I have a few Anker products, and I am very satisfied. I didn't know they had these products. I'll definitely check them out.

Thanks for the info!

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:02 pm

Dakotah wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:52 pm
Teague wrote:

These things do have a real deterrent effect. While it is true that entry is often from other points of entry (so that neighbors won't see), the incident often begins with an approach to the front door. The last thing a petty criminal wants to do is sneak in the backdoor and come face-to-face with an unexpected occupant or a big dog. The best way to determine if the house is truly empty is to knock on the front door. Does someone answer? Does a dog bark? If not...look in the windows. If it seems empty...then you can move to find a more discreet entrance. If, however, you go to knock on the front door and find yourself being caught by video-surveillance...you best just move along.
"These things do have a real deterrent effect. While it is true that entry is often from other points of entry (so that neighbors won't see), the incident often begins with an approach to the front door. The last thing a petty criminal wants to do is sneak in the backdoor and come face-to-face with an unexpected occupant or a big dog. The best way to determine if the house is truly empty is to knock on the front door. Does someone answer? Does a dog bark? If not...look in the windows. If it seems empty...then you can move to find a more discreet entrance. If, however, you go to knock on the front door and find yourself being caught by video-surveillance...you best just move along."

Perhaps this is true in your area - not in ours.

sergeant

Post by sergeant » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:24 pm

I have investigated thousands of residential burglaries and interviewed hundreds of residential burglary suspects. Almost all of them knock on the front door before forcing entry in some other location. They want to make sure no one is home. An empty home is a preferred target to burglars. Doorbell cameras do have value.
Lincoln 3 EOW! AA 40/60.

HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:26 pm

arf30 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:55 pm
We've got the Nest Hello and it's been pretty great at letting us know when people or deliveries show up. Also lets us disable the internal doorbell for times we know someone's coming and we don't want the dog barking. We didn't get it for security purposes so I can't comment on that aspect.
Just picked this up from Costco.com for $140 + tax including 6 months of Nest Aware

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:04 pm

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:26 pm
arf30 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:55 pm
Just picked this up from Costco.com for $140 + tax including 6 months of Nest Aware
That's still a great price but it was very briefly $90 at costco.com before the site went down. I missed the pricing mistake by 8 minutes.
:annoyed