Yet Another Retiring to Florida Thread - Pros/Cons

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
TresBelle65

Yet Another Retiring to Florida Thread - Pros/Cons

Post by TresBelle65 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:23 am

I'm retiring in 2020 and leaving my large urban city (Wash DC) after many years. I need a location that's less expensive and less intense...even other urban locations have a less serious vibe.

I am an East Coast person, so I've taken a few trips in the past few years to look for retirement locations up and down the east coast.

I've been to the Hudson Valley of NY, Asheville NC and the Delaware shore as possible locations. Home prices and overall taxes were higher than expected. In NY, housing options were more limited than other locations, Rust Belt fallout I guess.

I spent some time around Atlanta, which was interesting and cheaper than expected, but still a bit more crowded and urban than I'd like for a retirement lifestyle.

Finally, I landed in the Port Charlotte and surrounding areas of Florida. I prefer the West Coast of FLA over the East.

Home pricing and overall taxes seem less than expected, with the added bonus of a great local music scene around Sarasota and beaches of course, although I see algae bloom has been an issue.

I don't need to live on the shore as long as I can get there in a reasonable timeframe - that seems to help with pricing and maybe storm damage? yes, I understand hurricane threats are real.

There is no nirvana here on the east coast it seems.

I made a list of Pros & Cons and would appreciate if you have any of your own to add.

Pros:

Retirement friendly from a tax perspective
Balmy days and evenings during the winter
Easy access to major cruise ports
Tourist location = greater than average entertainment options
Brisk real estate turnover (more older people shuffling off this mortal coil) may indicate
that reasonable deals are more frequent than other locations.
A wide variety of housing options - from condos to SFHs to RV parks and wide price range.
A fair amount of recreation options - important in retirement
A greater number of senior aged people to socialize with - less isolation
Casual wardrobe only - shorts and flip flops

Cons:

Hurricanes/hurricane evacuation
Long season of intense heat and humidity
Crowds and traffic in the winter season
higher than average insurance costs?

What am I missing from these lists? Thanks!

OnTrack2020

Re: Yet Another Retiring to Florida Thread - Pros/Cons

Post by OnTrack2020 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:30 am

You are missing that there is much, much more to retiring in the U.S. than the East Coast. I think you've limited your options and wouldn't consider Florida less intense.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:10 am

There is no nirvana anywhere. Every location has it's good points and bad points.

What is important to others may be unimportant to you. So asking others for a list of pros/cons is less likely to be helpful than deciding what is important to you, what is not important, and then seeking a location that meets those needs.
What am I missing from these lists?
Do you care about proximity to family and current friends? For many, this drives their location decisions.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.

westie

Post by westie » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:29 am

Something for everybody. Spent many years working in DC, we chose the Delaware shore to retire, many others have from NY/NJ./Pa,/ Va. and Md. have too. Temperate climate, some of the lowest property taxes in the country (pay $1800 a year for 5 BDRM 3500 sq ft home), and no sales tax, on anything. From here in DE were within 2-3 hours of our grandchildren whether they be in DC, Baltimore, Philly or NY metro areas. We can be involved in their lives as much as we want, airplane travel is not part of the equation to visit. Plus it's easier for our kids and grandkids to visit us when they're a 2-3 hour car ride away. And they enjoy the beach and like to come. Win win for us.

Topic Author
TresBelle65

Post by TresBelle65 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:49 am

Do you care about proximity to family and current friends? For many, this drives their location decisions.

Yes, this has been driving the location decision. Everyone I know lives up and down the coast.

It could be daunting to move farther west, unless one relocated to a retirement community - where you could knock on doors and ask if they want to come out and play lol.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:22 am

TresBelle65 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:49 am

Yes, this has been driving the location decision. Everyone I know lives up and down the coast.

It could be daunting to move farther west, unless one relocated to a retirement community - where you could knock on doors and ask if they want to come out and play lol.
Okay.

Most folks I know tend to narrow the scope of proximity down much more than "up and down the coast".
Our good friends just purchased their "retirement" house in order to be within a 30 minute drive of their children and grandchildren.

If being on the same coast is close enough for you, then I guess you still have a vast array of locations from which to choose.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.

djpeteski

Post by djpeteski » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:37 am

TresBelle65 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:49 am
Considering this, you may think about being closer to the airport. Southwest offers direct, low cost flights to most major cities on this side of the Mississippi river. Other than that, I think you picked a pretty nice place to live considering your list. If your retirement home is big enough, many friends and family will come and visit you.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:43 am

Don’t move to the west. The Californians are already moving eastward.
Florida is good. Lots of old people. Must be something there to draw them. I’m wearing a vest and a long sleeve shirt right now, indoors. That would not happen in Florida.
There is your primary reason for Florida, weather.

mathwhiz

Post by mathwhiz » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:59 am

Florida and Sarasota is great but there are also other nice areas on the east coast such as St. Augustine, Jupiter, Vero Beach, Melbourne Beach.

Almost, all of your "cons" are less of a factor north of Cape Canaveral as a major hurricane has never struck land there because of the odd shape of the Florida coastline jutting inward.

That part of Florida is less touristy so crowds in the winter season are not as big of a factor.

Temperatures are slightly more temperate as North Florida does get a hint of some seasons.

Insurance costs are lower because hurricane risk is lower and also the east coast is much less prone to storm surge than the west coast. West Coast of Florida can really be obliterated by 20+ feet of surge in the worst case scenario storms. This isn't possible on the east coast because of the deep waters.

I'd take a road trip from Martin County north to Jacksonville hitting all the beach towns on the east coast. They are nothing like Miami/Ft. Lauderdale.

Also, there is red tide on the west coast. Something to consider in Sarasota. It can happen on the east coast too but is not nearly as prevalent.
Cons:

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:02 am

TresBelle65 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:23 am
Cons:

Bugs!
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

orlandoman

Post by orlandoman » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:06 am

No state income tax
Lots of medicare healthcare options
"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

ohai

Post by ohai » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:24 am

It kind of bugs me how Florida people put a pool in their house, and then put a greenhouse on top of it, effectively turning it into an indoor pool. I mean, I know there are alligators and stuff, but come on.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:46 am

Might also consider medical facilities. I get the feeling out in AZ medical facilities are not growing at the same rate as the population. Throw in the fact older folks need more, it adds to the problem. Not sure if true and certainly no clue about FL.

In my case FL was an easy no for me due to the humidity and I’m not a beach person.

I’ve found the decision to be harder than expected. AZ is growing too much in my opinion and while I enjoy Scottsdale I don’t care for the attitude or entitlement that a few too many seem to have. I also think the medical facilities back east are better.

Good luck.

mathwhiz

Post by mathwhiz » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:49 am

Pool cages are a practical thing in Florida. They are more common inland than near the beaches however. For one thing, It's required by law and for your insurance to have the pool enclosed in some manner either by cage or fence. A lot of people do the cage because it turns the outdoor living space into an indoor one offering more privacy, easier cleaning (less bugs, leaves get in the pool). In many swampy inland areas, a pool is unusable at dusk because of mosquitos as well.
ohai wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:24 am
It kind of bugs me how Florida people put a pool in their house, and then put a greenhouse on top of it, effectively turning it into an indoor pool. I mean, I know there are alligators and stuff, but come on.

birdog

Post by birdog » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:51 pm

https://www.kiplinger.com/article/retir ... etire.html

This is where I'd be looking if I were ready to retire.

RJC

Post by RJC » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:12 pm

Too many bugs. No diversity in food, culture, and music.

I’m from the DC area as well.

Gill

Post by Gill » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:10 pm

mathwhiz wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:49 am
Pool cages are a practical thing in Florida. They are more common inland than near the beaches however. For one thing, It's required by law and for your insurance to have the pool enclosed in some manner either by cage or fence. A lot of people do the cage because it turns the outdoor living space into an indoor one offering more privacy, easier cleaning (less bugs, leaves get in the pool). In many swampy inland areas, a pool is unusable at dusk because of mosquitos as well.
ohai wrote:
Most people have a pool cage and you wouldn't want a pool without one. I've had various houses with pools and cages in Florida and the ideal is a caged pool with no plants growing inside. This avoids having debris, leaves and animals in your pool and, with the use of a cat door, gives our two cats a wonderful place to safely play outside 24 hours a day.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:12 pm

Where ever you decide to go be sure to rent for a year to make sure that really want to settle down there. If you don't own a home it will be much easier to change your mind and move somewhere else.

That will also give you a chance to really learn the local housing market so that your can pick a better house when you are ready to buy.

In popular retirement areas in North Georgia and the mountains of North Carolina there are a lot of people from the Northeast that moved to Florida and decided that they did not like it there so they moved halfway back. The people are jokingly referred to as "Halfbacks" in a good natured way.

Wricha

Post by Wricha » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:47 pm

I think it’s interesting that you prefer the west coast over east coast of Florida. My experience is the west coast of Florida appeals to midwesterners and East Coast of Florida attracts the folks from east coast. The west coast is much more laid back. I have a place there and think it’s terrific admittedly I also have a place in Mts around Asheville for the summer (can’t speak to the summers in Florida). Boating was something I got into for about 8 years when I got to Florida. If you are into hiking/off road biking and a completely different view of Fl there is a place near you called the Babcock-Webb wildness area (80k acres) that is nice place to really get away. Often on weekdays out of hunting season you may find you have the place to yourself. Less stressful than DC? absolutely. Worked in DC you’ll be happy to see that place in the rear view mirror.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:51 pm

BolderBoy wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:02 am
TresBelle65 wrote:
Cons:

Bugs!
I grew up in FL and now live on Delmarva peninsula in MD. Bugs are an issue here, especially ticks and deer flies but the size and number of bugs is nowhere near what I remember from Florida. It may depend on where in Florida you live. I spent a summer in Jacksonville Beach and don't remember a big problem there.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:31 pm

TresBelle65 wrote:

Pros:

Balmy days and evenings during the winter
I grew up in central Florida. It's all perspective I suppose, but this for me was something I could not wait to get away from.

That said, Florida is a great state, and the beaches are wonderful. Make sure you keep yourself within shooting distance of the shore. For me, that would be < 45 mins.

Fulltimer

Post by Fulltimer » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:20 pm

Bugs. We are in Port Charlotte for Nov and Dec. We expected some humidity and bugs. Humidity has not been awful, but as soon as late afternoon begins we have gotten chased inside because of the mosquitos and midges. Those midges (no-see-ums) really have a nasty bite that itches for a long time. Next year we are heading back to the desert.

Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:48 pm

Another "Con", beware of "Florida Man".

pennywise

Post by pennywise » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:35 pm

ohai wrote:
What does this mean? If you are referring to screens, that's not at all a 'greenhouse'.

I've lived in south Florida for 40+ years and have never seen anyone install a pool with a glass enclosure over it, nor have I heard of that being done.

jibantik

Post by jibantik » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:15 pm

pennywise wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:35 pm
ohai wrote:
What does this mean? If you are referring to screens, that's not at all a 'greenhouse'.

I've lived in south Florida for 40+ years and have never seen anyone install a pool with a glass enclosure over it, nor have I heard of that being done.
Really? Get in your golf cart and drive around the streets, you will see them. But, I agree with others, having the pool enclosed makes sense.

Idk how anyone can be convinced to live in the swamp that is florida. Place is more hot humid than H e double hockey sticks. Just walk from the front door to your car after 8am and you are soaked with sweat.

WolfgangPauli

Post by WolfgangPauli » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:18 am

mathwhiz wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:59 am
Florida and Sarasota is great but there are also other nice areas on the east coast such as St. Augustine, Jupiter, Vero Beach, Melbourne Beach.

Almost, all of your "cons" are less of a factor north of Cape Canaveral as a major hurricane has never struck land there because of the odd shape of the Florida coastline jutting inward.

That part of Florida is less touristy so crowds in the winter season are not as big of a factor.

Temperatures are slightly more temperate as North Florida does get a hint of some seasons.

Insurance costs are lower because hurricane risk is lower and also the east coast is much less prone to storm surge than the west coast. West Coast of Florida can really be obliterated by 20+ feet of surge in the worst case scenario storms. This isn't possible on the east coast because of the deep waters.

I'd take a road trip from Martin County north to Jacksonville hitting all the beach towns on the east coast. They are nothing like Miami/Ft. Lauderdale.

Also, there is red tide on the west coast. Something to consider in Sarasota. It can happen on the east coast too but is not nearly as prevalent.
Cons:

We moved to Jacksonville 6 years ago and in those 6 years have sat through two cat 3 hurricanes making hits on Jax and 1 more that threatened. We were told exactly what you said above due to the odd shape but that has not panned out as hurricanes have come up the middle of the state and crossed from the Gulf to Jax and maintained Cat 3 when they got here.

We love Florida and will not leave until our house is underwater and it does not matter your politics but the reality is the climate is changing - for whatever reason - and there is a high likelyhood the state will essentially be underwater within 100 years. Could be 20 could be 75, could be 100 but that is what is going to happen. So, enjoy it when you are here just knowing the climate is changing all the rules about Florida. I know both Miami and Jax have seawater on the streets even when it is sunny out just due to high tide.

Having said all that, we love Tennessee.. Great place to retire.
Twitter: @JAXbogleheads | EM: JAXbogleheads@gmail.com

birdog

Post by birdog » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:18 am

jibantik wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:15 pm
Idk how anyone can be convinced to live in the swamp that is florida. Place is more hot humid than H e double hockey sticks. Just walk from the front door to your car after 8am and you are soaked with sweat.
And yet FL continues to be one of the most sought after places to retire to in the united states. FL offers a lot to retirees.
Last edited by birdog on Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mathwhiz

Post by mathwhiz » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:41 pm

Other than the immediate coastline and river where there were some surge issues, none of those hurricanes gave Jacksonville more than tropical storm or Cat 1 winds. They weren't direct hits and the last direct hit of any kind in Jacksonville was more than 50 years ago and it wasn't a major hurricane. Side swipes and weakened systems are an inconvenience to people and can happen anywhere in Florida with power out and minor damage but are not catastrophic events. So the theory about the shape of the coastline still holds. But of course everyone gets annoyed losing power. It's why whole house generators are awesome things.
We moved to Jacksonville 6 years ago and in those 6 years have sat through two cat 3 hurricanes making hits on Jax and 1 more that threatened. We were told exactly what you said above due to the odd shape but that has not panned out as hurricanes have come up the middle of the state and crossed from the Gulf to Jax and maintained Cat 3 when they got here.

MarkerFM

Post by MarkerFM » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:47 pm

I'll mention a pro and a con, both related to medical care.

The pro is that the FloridaBlue plans are pretty good and there is a wide variety of choice. Obviously applies sub-65.

The con is that the quality of care can be lacking, and it can be difficult to find good primary care providers. And, some of the hospitals aren't that great.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:49 pm

MarkerFM wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:47 pm

The pro is that the FloridaBlue plans are pretty good and there is a wide variety of choice. Obviously applies sub-65.

The con is that the quality of care can be lacking, and it can be difficult to find good primary care providers. And, some of the hospitals aren't that great.
Don't those cons apply literally everywhere?

mathwhiz

Post by mathwhiz » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:53 pm

As far as big deal serious medical issues like you have cancer or need heart surgery, have some kind of unusual or specialized illness, UF Shands in both Gainesville and Jacksonville, Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville and Moffit (Speciality Cancer Hospital) in Tampa are among the best in the state. They aren't near the most popular beaches or retirement areas but it's something to consider if you see yourself needing a lot of medical care in retirement.

MarkerFM

Post by MarkerFM » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:56 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:49 pm
MarkerFM wrote:

Maybe, but not so much I don't think as most of Florida. Take Boston, for example. On average, easier to find great docs and hospitals. Of course, these are admittedly both gross oversimplifications. YMMV.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:10 pm

Pros: It doesn't snow in Florida.

Cons: It's too darn hot and humid most of the year. There are too many old people. (Full disclosure: I am old.)

mathwhiz

Post by mathwhiz » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:15 pm

I never really understood the big deal about heat/humidity. Do your outdoor activities in the morning or early evening during the summers and spend the hottest part of the day at the pool or beach or inside with the AC. Most working age people are inside during the day anyway.

Much better than being frozen for six months or more a year as a prisoner in your home up north.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:25 pm

mathwhiz wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:15 pm
I never really understood the big deal about heat/humidity. Do your outdoor activities in the morning or early evening during the summers and spend the hottest part of the day at the pool or beach or inside with the AC. Most working age people are inside during the day anyway.

Much better than being frozen for six months or more a year as a prisoner in your home up north.
I spent summers on Hilton Head in my later teen years. Walking from an air conditioned building to my vehicle, I broke out in sweat. Not to mention that there was no remote start to pre-cool the vehicle.

We went for a hike in SC at 9AM at end of July, in a heavily wooded area, and we're quickly soaking wet.

We are looking at northwest SC as a compromise, on a lake.
UpperNwGuy wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:10 pm
Cons: There are too many old people.
This is the main reason we won't consider Florida, followed by too hot, followed by lack of terrain, followed by the same architecture in strip mall after strip mall. Hate stucco.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

Gill

Post by Gill » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:56 pm

pennywise wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:35 pm
ohai wrote:

Likewise here, Pennywise. I’ve also lived in Florida 43 years and never heard of nor seen this. I live in a community of 405 homes, nearly all of which have pools with cages except for about two with open pools. None have any kind of enclosure other than a cage. Why would anyone want to cover a Florida pool with a glass enclosure? Seriously, you must be thinking of another part of the country.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:14 pm

jibantik wrote: Idk how anyone can be convinced to live in the swamp that is florida. Place is more hot humid than H e double hockey sticks. Just walk from the front door to your car after 8am and you are soaked with sweat.
The benefit of a warm humid swampy environment is that Florida is teeming with natural wildlife.

Here is what our Florida expert, Dave Barry, wrote about our teeming natural wildlife:
"I live in South Florida, which has a hot, moist, armpit-like climate that is very favorable for life in general. Everything down here is either already alive, or about to be. You could leave your toaster out on your lawn overnight, and by morning it would have developed legs, a tail, a mouth, tentacles, etc., and it would be prowling around looking for slower, weaker appliances to prey on.

So I am used to wildlife. I am used to the fact that, as I walk from my car to the front door - striding briskly to prevent fungus from growing on my body - I will routinely pass lizards, snakes, spiders, snails and mutant prehistoric grasshoppers large enough for the Lone Ranger to saddle up and ride into the sunset on ("Hi-ho, Silver, Awayyyeeeiikes!")"
:D

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:52 pm

tibbitts wrote:
MarkerFM wrote:

Not everywhere.

Excellent healthcare quality where I live.
It was trivial to find a PCP accepting new patients. And the hospital where I get my cancer treatments is a short drive.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:54 pm

mathwhiz wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:15 pm
Where is this place that is frozen for six or more months?
And where do you think you would be a prisoner in your home?

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:16 pm

JoeRetire wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:52 pm
tibbitts wrote:
MarkerFM wrote:

Not everywhere.

It was trivial to find a PCP accepting new patients. And the hospital where I get my cancer treatments is a short drive.
You don't have any not-so-great hospitals or doctors where you live? I suspect if I moved to your location I could find them.

LSLover

Post by LSLover » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:33 pm

One of the Pros for the Florida is that there is no state income tax. It’s one of only five States in the US where that is the case. If you envision a good deal of income in your retirement years, this maybe a factor to consider.

EPCOTCenter1982

Post by EPCOTCenter1982 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:41 pm

Florida is a great place to live depending on which part of the state you move to, IMO

Cost of living is cheap, ample parking, and it's easy to get around town (unlike out here in California...)

Plus, the skies and sunsets are just gorgeous. Might as well spend the rest of your days admiring the beauty of your surroundings.

That said, I am not sure how much life you have left to live, but the weather (as you stated) should be considered. [Climate change comment removed by moderator oldcomputerguy]

sometimesinvestor

Post by sometimesinvestor » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:24 pm

if the weather is an important factor you have to decide if decent winters beat rotten summers .if that's not so important than perhaps taxes, being surrounded by old people and whether that's good or bad are factors to consider.. To me north carolina makes more sense.:Good things are less good
but bad things are less bad

jacksonm

Post by jacksonm » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:45 pm

sometimesinvestor wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:24 pm
if the weather is an important factor you have to decide if decent winters beat rotten summers .if that's not so important than perhaps taxes, being surrounded by old people and whether that's good or bad are factors to consider.. To me north carolina makes more sense.:Good things are less good
but bad things are less bad
The rottenness of summer in Florida is overrated IMO (spoken as a resident in the Tampa Bay area for the past 38 years). Yes, it gets hot but it's like in the low 90's, not the 100's and there is often an afternoon shower to cool things down. It's still nice in the morning and the evening so you just have to plan your outdoor activities accordingly. Beats the hell out of the cold and snow up North where I grew up (Ohio). Again, IMHO.

Although I am now officially on "Old Person (70)" I rarely find myself surrounded by them. Would be different if you moved to an area mostly populated by old people but that's not the whole state by any stretch of the imagination. So if you really don't like being around old people there are plenty of places to live.

Having said that, I do think BOTH Carolina's are great.

Topic Author
TresBelle65

Post by TresBelle65 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:45 am

Understandably, weather and taxes appear to be the biggest drivers in the decision for most, but no one has mentioned two other factors and these are important to me: recreation and vibe.

Where else on the east coast are you going to find drum circles at sunset?

I am a huge fan of live music, so FLA is a plus for me. I love the feel of places where people are on vacation. People are friendlier and more open, generally speaking. Florida is more diverse than most other places I've been to and not just in the usual sense.

I'm also a swimmer and want to really resume my tennis game.

Now I just have to figure out if the costs and potential risks or annoyances are worth it.

For those in North Carolina, how is the recreation and vibe? (and assume it varies from area to area of the state)

I can find great vibe in some northern locations, of course, gray weather and cold temps are a drag unless I am up for a little skiing and then I tend to head west - more powder, less ice

Just some additional thoughts.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:00 am

-Lots of outdoor sports activities virtually all year long
-Little to no heating bills
-Spring training games
-Relatively inexpensive culture in many major areas
-No snow
-Low gasoline prices
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:28 am

tibbitts wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:16 pm
JoeRetire wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:52 pm
tibbitts wrote:
MarkerFM wrote:

Not everywhere.

You don't have any not-so-great hospitals or doctors where you live? I suspect if I moved to your location I could find them.
LOL! If you parse a sentence hard enough you can find anything you want, I guess.

Shaneman

Post by Shaneman » Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:13 pm

Would Tallahassee lessen some of the cons?

Less of a chance for hurricanes

Less intense heat and humidity, although I am not sure since when I visit recently in the first week of September 2019 it was hot.

Crowds and traffic in the winter season really not an issue but you do have the college traffic.

Yes Tallahassee is an older town. In Tallahassee many roads only 2 lanes and they are saying when all 7 colleges are in session it takes 45-60 minutes to drive what usually takes 20 minutes.

I thought Tallahassee was a place that maybe I could live year round. Beautiful trees including the lots of Live Oaks.

One can buy a nice 3 bed, 2 bath for under $500K in Tallahassee.

Tallahassee really seems like a city especially if I wanted to live year round in Florida and mitigate the chance of hurricanes. The beach is a drive - St. George Island is like an 1 hr 40 min drive from Tallahassee. There is also the huge Apalachicolla National Forest and other state forests close by Tallahassee.

Naples, Fort Myers, Cape Coral, Sarasota, Clearwater, St Pete all seem like too hot for year round living and in the winter the snowbirds everywhere.

sailor18

Post by sailor18 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:35 pm

There is a perception among some younger people (children and grandchildren as potential visitors) that there is "nothing" to do in Florida except play golf, shop and go out to dinner

WolfgangPauli

Post by WolfgangPauli » Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:28 pm

sailor18 wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:35 pm
There is a perception among some younger people (children and grandchildren as potential visitors) that there is "nothing" to do in Florida except play golf, shop and go out to dinner
Go to the Beach too...
Twitter: @JAXbogleheads | EM: JAXbogleheads@gmail.com