Kia Sportage

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dewey

Kia Sportage

Post by dewey » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:21 pm

We're considering a 2020 Kia Sportage EX for my wife. We've never owned a Kia. I've done a fair amount of research and almost all the arrows point up for this car. But I'm wondering about fellow Bogleheads and your experiences with the Kia Sportage, and any counsel you'd offer. Thanks.

Dewey
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…”

3504PIR

Re: Kia Sportage

Post by 3504PIR » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:53 pm

I avoid Korean made cars based on the historically poor steel used in the frames. That factoid may no longer be 100% true, but I haven’t ever seen anything which indicates they have improved. Funny how things like that burn into our brains.

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:12 pm

I've bought 4 Kia's, had to sell one as daughter moved to NYC. None are a Sportage, but 2011,2012 & 2016 Sedona,Rio & Soul. All bought new. So far just tires,batteries & oil changes. We love Kia.
Too soon old, too late smart.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:02 pm

dewey wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:21 pm
We're considering a 2020 Kia Sportage EX for my wife. We've never owned a Kia. I've done a fair amount of research and almost all the arrows point up for this car. But I'm wondering about fellow Bogleheads and your experiences with the Kia Sportage, and any counsel you'd offer. Thanks.

Dewey
I have rented a few Kia's over time (including the Sportage) and I would never purchase a Kia vehicle.

Kia quality vs. Toyota quality is night and day.

ohai

Post by ohai » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:43 pm

For the people who don't like Kia for quality reasons, when did you last drive one? The cars are much better now than from the past 10-15 years. I guarantee today that for most Kia cars, if you didn't see the badge, you wouldn't be able to tell it apart from a Japanese brand. In some cases, the Korean cars are even better than Toyota or Honda.

David S

Post by David S » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:15 pm

From USA Today (June 2019) online:

“Genesis, Kia and Hyundai – all part of the same Korean manufacturing group – took the first, second and third slots, respectively, for the second straight year in the J.D. Power Initial Quality Study (IQS). Their electronics performance was especially strong.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/ca ... 480119001/

Of course, J.D. Power only measures consumer response for the first 90 days of ownership, but I’ve read several articles about Korean auto quality surpassing that of current Japanese offerings. We’ll be looking for a small SUV next year and I would definitely take a look at Sportage.

BoglePaul

Post by BoglePaul » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:42 pm

Korean cars are improving however I would go Japan before Korea. I feel the Toyota and Honda vehicles offer better quality and reliability.

jyoung

Post by jyoung » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:16 pm

I have a 2011 Hyundai Elantra with 110k+ miles. Never had an issue. Just a couple sets of tires, batteries, oil changes. If you are into brand names though you definitely won't win any cool contests with a Hyundai or Kia if that stuff matters to you. I get made fun of pretty much every week at work for my car (on top of all the other crazy frugal habits I have). 😀

momvesting

Post by momvesting » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:22 pm

In my area there are some great deals to be had on the 2019 Sportages, you may want to look beyond your immediate area, I've seen them $4k-$6k off. I've been looking as well but am not ready to pull the trigger just yet and I am seeing a lot of value for the price in this car as well.

krafty81

Post by krafty81 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:15 pm

I own a 2014 Kia Sorento and liked it so much I bought a 2012 used Sportage for my son. Anyone doubting KIa quality should check Consumer Reports - very highly rated cars. You will not find more features and better tech at their price point.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:14 pm

dewey wrote:
I have no experience with KIA automobiles other than having had a good experience renting a Soul for three days. I need to buy a small SUV in the next few months, and the Sportage is looking like it might satisfy my needs more than any other car in its class.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:50 pm

ohai wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:43 pm
For the people who don't like Kia for quality reasons, when did you last drive one? The cars are much better now than from the past 10-15 years. I guarantee today that for most Kia cars, if you didn't see the badge, you wouldn't be able to tell it apart from a Japanese brand. In some cases, the Korean cars are even better than Toyota or Honda.
Exactly. I remember my uncle commenting to my parents when they got a Sonata that they couldn't pay him to drive a Hyundai/Kia, a year later he was buying one. My family has had BY FAR the best experience (speaking primarily to reliability) with Hyundai's and almost all our other vehicles were Toyota/Honda/Subaru. Drive a Kia Telluride and tell me how "low quality" they feel compared to a Toyota Highlander.

Bigguy14

Post by Bigguy14 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:49 pm

Our Sonata is 9 years old now very few problems. None serious. Have a Kia Sportage going on 3 years not a single repair just maintenance. They are very efficient and cheap to operate in my experience.

OnceARunner

Post by OnceARunner » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:27 am

Trader Joe wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:02 pm
dewey wrote:

Dewey
I have rented a few Kia's over time (including the Sportage) and I would never purchase a Kia vehicle.

This is funny because my garage has both a Toyota and a Kia in it, and honestly, they are pretty comparable in quality of finishes as well as reliability.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:45 am

Trader Joe wrote:

Why do you say that? Nearly everyone else on this thread speaks well of KIA.

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:53 am

3504PIR wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:53 pm
I avoid Korean made cars based on the historically poor steel used in the frames. That factoid may no longer be 100% true, but I haven’t ever seen anything which indicates they have improved. Funny how things like that burn into our brains.
That factoid is probably 0% true nowadays. Cars no longer have frames, many types of steel are used in a car. Kia's and Hyundai's perform respectably on crash tests which indicate their steel is up to par. I remember decades ago a car salesman telling me Toyota's were made of inferior steel including melted down US army jeeps!

researcher

Post by researcher » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:08 am

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:45 am
Trader Joe wrote:
Why do you say that? Nearly everyone else on this thread speaks well of KIA.
Likely because their point of comparison for Kia are stripper, base model rental cars that have been thoroughly used/abused, and are not the current generation of vehicles.

The last few generations of Toyota Rav4 are extremely cheap inside, with poor quality materials and design.

NJdad6

Post by NJdad6 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:11 am

Virtually every bit of information over the past 5+ years (reviews, customer feedback and quality reports) show that KIA/Hyundai are on par with Honda and Toyota. In fact, they are rated significantly higher than Honda for initial quality and reliability.

From personal experience I would rate KIA/Hyundai ahead of Honda and close to if not even with Toyota for comparable vehicles.

Rudedog

Post by Rudedog » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:40 pm

My daughter bought a new Sportage two years ago. She and her husband love it. No problems so far. I'd buy one, but its a bit small for an old man like me.

co_investor

Post by co_investor » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:03 am

We have a 2018 KIA Sportage.
Before we bought it, we looked at Toyotas, Hondas, Hyundais, Chevys, Fords and more.
As someone else mentioned, not one of those other brands offered a compact SUV with as many features as the KIA at a similar price (25K back then). Leather, heated seats, blind spot warning and many other tech and non tech options that I had only seen in other much more expensive vehicles.
If the price and features are not enough to seal the deal, they were also the only brand (of those mentioned above) that offered a 6 year/60 mile warranty. We were sold!
After 10K+ miles, we have no regrets!