Lowe’s flooring for condo, pt rental ?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
gips

Lowe’s flooring for condo, pt rental ?

Post by gips » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:38 pm

We recently purchased a condo, it will be rented around 6 months every year. We need to replace the rug in the 2nd br, received a quote of $3200 from a highly recommended flooring guy for coretec vinyl flooring. Next stop was lowe’s, $1600 quote for their top of the line procore vinyl flooring.The lowe’s flooring was about 3/4 of the thickness of the flooring shop.

Have people been happy with lowe’s flooring?

Best,

stlutz

Re: Lowe’s flooring for condo, pt rental ?

Post by stlutz » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:53 pm

gips wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:38 pm
We recently purchased a condo, it will be rented around 6 months every year. We need to replace the rug in the 2nd br, received a quote of $3200 from a highly recommended flooring guy for coretec vinyl flooring. Next stop was lowe’s, $1600 quote for their top of the line procore vinyl flooring.The lowe’s flooring was about 3/4 of the thickness of the flooring shop.

Best,
Note that "Smartcore" is the top-of-the-line flooring available at Lowe's and would be more comparable to Coretec. ProCore is more their mid-line. Doesn't mean the ProCore wouldn't work just fine.

(Been shopping for flooring lately myself!)

rocket354

Post by rocket354 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:03 pm

gips wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:38 pm

Best,
That is the exact flooring I put in one of my houses. The price was right, the install was great, and the flooring has held up great (~9 months now). I would not pay double for flooring for most rentals. You get flooring that looks slightly better (more like, e.g., true granite tile or wood planks) for a lot more money.

If I had to do it again, though, I would have chosen something in darker shade. Every piece of anything seems to show up very well, and mine's a grey stone look.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:06 pm

In a rental I would always go no better than middle grade under the presumption it will get damaged before it wears out. Personally I would not put $3200 into flooring for one bedroom in a rental.

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:48 pm

I've got Coretec vinyl flooring in my kitchen and am very happy with it. But I agree with the others, going with the lower price flooring at Lowe's makes the most sense in a rental.

CheCha54

Post by CheCha54 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:16 pm

I am very familiar with the Coretec and Smartcore products and they are comparable in quality and performance. I am not familiar with the Procore product, but looking at the specifications it should serve your purpose. All of these products will perform well in a residential environment. Their weakness is gouging and exposure to high heat (no different than carpet in that regard). The Procore is a good choice.