Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
User avatar
baconavocado
Posts: 450
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:03 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by baconavocado » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:51 am

There was a safe hidden in a wall of a house I inherited. It had been left open but I think no one had known about it because it was well hidden. It had a few old vehicle title docs, some cemetery/burial contracts, marriage and birth records, and a receipt for a tractor. I think you can guess what will be in the safe based on the lifestyle of the previous owners. I would not open the safe and try to forget about it.

sveurklin
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:39 am

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by sveurklin » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:12 am

gips wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:19 pm
here's an update:
- first, there's no model number on the safe so it's tough to say if the combination is 3, 4 or 5 numbers, but I'm guessing 3. I can't remember why I'd concluded five from my earlier research.
- there are indeed 100 digits on the dial. so let's assume 10**3 or a million possible combinations
Just because the dial has 0-100 does NOT mean that it can differentiate between 50-0-50 and 49-0-49. I bet the "robot" the locksmith offered just tries every 4th number, or 5th number. So that's 20^3 or 8000 or 25^3 or 15,625 combinations and likely explains the "70% success rate". So sure people might occasionally use a combo that if you are are unlucky the nearest 4/5 doesn't catch. You can also be crafty (depending on the lock design) and chain attempts, so you can try a,b,c and then if that fails try D (which tries b,c,d), then try e (which tries c,d,e). That way you get a new combination per spin, instead of a new combination per 3 spins.

The robot likely takes 5-10 second per combination. Or approximately anyways. Hard to imagine this robot being super human fast and resetting the lock, spinning it several times clockwise and counter clockwise without taking at least 5-10 seconds each.

Depending on the quality the lock, it may drag/catch if you apply light pressure on the lever as you complete the 3rd digit. A robot could take advantage of that to greatly narrow the search space.

Some mitigation against humans, like grooves to catch a someone dragging the lever, can actually aid a robot. Apparently the grooves sometimes are symmetric, except for the 2 containing the final combination. The difference is too small for (a normal) human to detect. But easily detected by a robot.

User avatar
sk2101
Posts: 446
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:54 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by sk2101 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:02 am

tesuzuki2002 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:34 pm
sunny_socal wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:02 pm
What kind of 'safe' is it? The kind they sell at big box stores will come apart very easily with the tools in your garage.

I wouldn't even bother 'cracking' it or doing any other gentle opening/drilling, just break it open.

To give you an idea:
Image
That is a terrible design... what brand?
Sentrysafe. Nowadays its sold as Honeywell. Lesson learned!

User avatar
Cheez-It Guy
Posts: 924
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:20 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by Cheez-It Guy » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:00 am

SentrySafes aren't really built for ultimate security. They are reasonably-priced homeowner fire safes with a minor theft / cracking deterrent. It doesn't mean they're "bad". It just depends on what you expect to get from them.

whomever
Posts: 939
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:21 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by whomever » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:42 am

"You can also be crafty (depending on the lock design) and chain attempts, so you can try a,b,c and then if that fails try D (which tries b,c,d),..."

Typically (e.g. LaGard and S&G locks) things don't work that way; you can only try a combo after rotating the dial left enough times to set the wheels to a known position.

The link I posted earlier:

https://www.mattblaze.org/papers/safelocks.pdf

actually has a pretty good discussion on safe manipulation, and has references to more advanced books on the topic.

investingdad
Posts: 1738
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:41 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by investingdad » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:03 am

People, people...if the OP finds, I don't know, a stash of gold coins or a small fortune, do we REALLY think he's going to come back and announce his $3.5 million haul of booty?

I wouldn't.

I'd tell you all that I found a couple of risque photos of the prior owner and a few silver dollars and call it a day.

spectec
Posts: 1541
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:00 am

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by spectec » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:17 am

So what do we conclude if the prior owner now comes back and says, "We got it opened. Nothing there but a few silver dollars and some risqué photos of the prior owner."
H-m-m-m...
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

elderwise
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:27 am

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by elderwise » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:45 am

does anyone remember the Bank Job movie, talking about risque' pics :P

User avatar
cheese_breath
Posts: 9575
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by cheese_breath » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:50 am

investingdad wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:03 am
People, people...if the OP finds, I don't know, a stash of gold coins or a small fortune, do we REALLY think he's going to come back and announce his $3.5 million haul of booty? ...
Why not? He's got a good safe to keep it in. :wink:
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

Topic Author
gips
Posts: 639
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 5:42 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by gips » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:35 pm

ok, here are some light updates for those following along:

- the condo, while not in a retirement community, is in an upscale community, many of the people we see are over 55
- the previous owner sold when they were too old/infirm to use the condo.
- I believe due to the age of the previous owners, and probably the owner before the previous owner, they left a number of personal belongings they would have taken in better health. To my eye, this increases the probability there's something of value in the safe.
- the condo is a part-time rental. We're heading home in 2-3 weeks, so we have a small window of opportunity until next spring to decide if we want to do something with the safe on this trip
- the same renter has been using the condo for years in the winter. Admittedly a long shot, but could he have installed the safe? We're going to set the dial to 35 and see if it's changed when we visit next! :happy Again, the safe is very well-hidden.
- I am aware of the imprecision of safe dials (read Surely You're Joking MR Feynman in my 30s. In fact, after lending the book to one of my nerdy, nerdy friends, he used Feynman's methods to marry a model...but that's a story for another day)

best,

HomeStretch
Posts: 4674
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:06 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by HomeStretch » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:42 pm

I doubt the renter installed it. Perhaps put a biohazard sticker on the outside of the safe as well to deter snoopers! Sounds like there might be something in it. Try to open it in a way that allows you to use it.

Looking forward to hearing what’s inside! Hopefully we don’t have to wait until spring.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 23148
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by dm200 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:50 pm

gips wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:35 pm
ok, here are some light updates for those following along:
- the condo, while not in a retirement community, is in an upscale community, many of the people we see are over 55
- the previous owner sold when they were too old/infirm to use the condo.
- I believe due to the age of the previous owners, and probably the owner before the previous owner, left a number of personal belongings they would have taken in better health. To my eye, this increases the probability there's something of value in the safe.
- the condo is a part-time rental. We're heading home in 2-3 weeks, so we have a small window of opportunity until next spring to decide if we want to do something with the safe on this trip
- the same renter has been using the condo for years in the winter. Admittedly a long shot, but could he have installed the safe? We're going to set the dial to 35 and see if it's changed when we visit next! :happy Again, the safe is very well-hidden.
- I am aware of the imprecision of safe dials (read Surely You're Joking MR Feynman in my 30s. In fact, after lending the book to one of my nerdy, nerdy friends, he used Feynman's methods to marry a model...but that's a story for another day)
best,
Not sure just how, but I might do something else in addition to setting lock to 35. Might it be possible that it could move a little - just from building vibrations, etc.? Maybe put something on it that would not be noticed by someone else - maybe a light coating of some kind of powder?

Such an installation, to me, seems very doubtful for a renter. Seems much more like a previous owner.

It would be really great for you if it could be opened without damaging any part of the safe. Then, you would have a very useful safe for your use. Installing the safe this way (in concrete) seems to indicate that the contents (at some point) were quite valuable - and, for some reason, needed to be kept at a personal residence. I still think hiring a convicted safe cracker would be the best way of accomplishing that. I suspect such folks, in addition to the financial motives, actually "enjoy" things like cracking a safe. Just like car "repo guys/gals" get pleasure in taking a car. Just like "stealing" a car - but it is 100% legal. I have seen several episodes of Forensic Files or Unsolved Mysteries involving such safes.

I think that my "curiosity" could not last until spring - and would want a resolution before the renter comes in. Can you slightly delay this renter moving in for a few days while you work on getting the safe opened?

Keep us informed.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 23148
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by dm200 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:52 pm

There are TV episodes and shows where the "plot" involves booby-trapping a safe - so that an attempt to get in causes sever harm or death - from things like poisoned needles.

rj342
Posts: 726
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:21 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by rj342 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:54 pm

Risk is obviously minute, but one poster's concern about a home invasion and being unable to open it seems legit to me. Very unlikely, but if happens, likely very bad outcome.

I vote for opening it. Hopefully non-destructively so you can at least have use of it if no valuables.

One other very low probability scenario -- what if contains a non-trivial amount of illegal drugs or similar? Would you give police a heads up, or check with a lawyer before opening it?

User avatar
ipod_keith
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:42 am

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by ipod_keith » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:57 pm

If you wait just a few more years, maybe we'll may have cheap and safe X-ray machines you could rent that would hook up to your smart phone :P

User avatar
cheese_breath
Posts: 9575
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by cheese_breath » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:09 pm

ipod_keith wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:57 pm
If you wait just a few more years, maybe we'll may have cheap and safe X-ray machines you could rent that would hook up to your smart phone :P
By that time Google will have cataloged all the information in the world. Just google "What's the combination to my safe?"
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

Oakwood42
Posts: 233
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:48 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by Oakwood42 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:31 pm

9-5 Suited wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:31 pm
Potential for an epic, legendary Bogleheads thread here. It would drive me bananas if I never found out what was inside, but definitely would consider the money paid largely lost with an expectation of no return aside from getting a nice usable safe in the end (if that’s how it works).
+1

DesertDiva
Posts: 846
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:49 pm
Location: In the desert

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by DesertDiva » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:36 pm

Oakwood42 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:31 pm
9-5 Suited wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:31 pm
Potential for an epic, legendary Bogleheads thread here. It would drive me bananas if I never found out what was inside, but definitely would consider the money paid largely lost with an expectation of no return aside from getting a nice usable safe in the end (if that’s how it works).
+1b
Maybe we should have a contest. Whoever comes closest to the actual code wins a consolation prize 😆

tev9876
Posts: 209
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:12 am

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by tev9876 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:38 pm

I would go with the drill and boroscope method. A 1/4" hole should be big enough to get the scope inside - just stay away from the moving mechanical stuff. If you decided you want to use the safe eventually you can easily press fit or weld a piece of 1/4" steel bar into the hole to restore the water/fire proofing. You might even be able to tap it and seal it up with a bolt - that way the next owner won't have to drill when you leave it locked.

Years ago I noticed a piece of 1/4" plywood about 2x2' nailed to the basement rafters in the closet beneath the stairs. It made no sense that they would "finish" that small section of basement ceiling in an unfinished closet so I figured the previous owners must have hidden something in there. Even though it was only plywood the water and gas pipes ran over it making it a pain to get to. Eventually I managed to drill and pry into it and found absolutely nothing. I still wonder why someone decided to nail that little piece of wood there for no reason whatsoever.

User avatar
cheese_breath
Posts: 9575
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by cheese_breath » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:45 pm

tev9876 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:38 pm
I would go with the drill and boroscope method. A 1/4" hole should be big enough to get the scope inside - just stay away from the moving mechanical stuff. If you decided you want to use the safe eventually you can easily press fit or weld a piece of 1/4" steel bar into the hole to restore the water/fire proofing. You might even be able to tap it and seal it up with a bolt - that way the next owner won't have to drill when you leave it locked.

Years ago I noticed a piece of 1/4" plywood about 2x2' nailed to the basement rafters in the closet beneath the stairs. It made no sense that they would "finish" that small section of basement ceiling in an unfinished closet so I figured the previous owners must have hidden something in there. Even though it was only plywood the water and gas pipes ran over it making it a pain to get to. Eventually I managed to drill and pry into it and found absolutely nothing. I still wonder why someone decided to nail that little piece of wood there for no reason whatsoever.
Maybe a joke on the next owner?
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

User avatar
Ged
Posts: 3889
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 1:48 pm
Location: Roke

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by Ged » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:02 pm

Sometimes surprises are found in old safes.

https://www.app.com/story/news/local/pe ... 311405002/

User avatar
JupiterJones
Posts: 2848
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:25 pm
Location: Nashville, TN

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by JupiterJones » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:07 pm

gips wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:35 pm
after lending the book to one of my nerdy, nerdy friends, he used Feynman's methods to marry a model...but that's a story for another day
It's bad enough you've got us all on the edge of our seats with the safe saga, now you're giving us another cliffhanger???
Stay on target...

User avatar
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Posts: 41112
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:33 am
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by nisiprius » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:25 pm

[deleted accidental copying of someone else's joke]
Last edited by nisiprius on Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

CheepSkate
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:23 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by CheepSkate » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:44 pm

My house came with a very large, very rusty, very old safe in the garage that has been locked since before the PO bought the house. It’s maybe 40 inches square and is on iron wheels - probably 500lbs. I’ve lived with it for a year. Might roll it to the curb to free up space someday. I think it’s doubtful there are gold bars in it or anything.

User avatar
JoeRetire
Posts: 5291
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by JoeRetire » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:45 pm

JBEB wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:41 pm
What about if there is a safe inside the safe?
:shock:
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.

User avatar
TimeRunner
Posts: 1607
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by TimeRunner » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:12 pm

Awesome about Prof Feynman and your buddy. I assume the safe door isn't fake like this muse: https://youtu.be/0176BkzvEes

Looking forward to the next chapter! :beer
One cannot enlighten the unconscious.

User avatar
JupiterJones
Posts: 2848
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:25 pm
Location: Nashville, TN

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by JupiterJones » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:18 pm

dm200 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:52 pm
There are TV episodes and shows where the "plot" involves booby-trapping a safe - so that an attempt to get in causes sever harm or death - from things like poisoned needles.
Pshaw. If it were dangerous, why would they call it a "safe"? :D
Stay on target...

brcarls
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:04 am
Location: VA,NC,SC

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by brcarls » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:36 pm

CheepSkate wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:44 pm
My house came with a very large, very rusty, very old safe in the garage that has been locked since before the PO bought the house. It’s maybe 40 inches square and is on iron wheels - probably 500lbs. I’ve lived with it for a year. Might roll it to the curb to free up space someday. I think it’s doubtful there are gold bars in it or anything.
Where do you live? I'll haul it away for free if you're close. If the door is hardened, it would make a fine gong on my rifle range!

Elena
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:42 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by Elena » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:39 pm

investingdad wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:03 am
People, people...if the OP finds, I don't know, a stash of gold coins or a small fortune, do we REALLY think he's going to come back and announce his $3.5 million haul of booty?

I wouldn't.

I'd tell you all that I found a couple of risque photos of the prior owner and a few silver dollars and call it a day.
LOL! He will, he WILL. Questions like: "sudden windfall"; "DCA or lump sum?"; "should I change my AA?"; "am I ready for FIRE?"; "do I need umbrella insurance?"; "what software do you use to track your gains?"; "is the market too high to invest new money?"; "what do you consider a luxury item?".

He WILL. He MUST.

Luke Duke
Posts: 1019
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:44 am
Location: Texas

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by Luke Duke » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:43 pm

cheese_breath wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:45 pm
tev9876 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:38 pm
I would go with the drill and boroscope method. A 1/4" hole should be big enough to get the scope inside - just stay away from the moving mechanical stuff. If you decided you want to use the safe eventually you can easily press fit or weld a piece of 1/4" steel bar into the hole to restore the water/fire proofing. You might even be able to tap it and seal it up with a bolt - that way the next owner won't have to drill when you leave it locked.

Years ago I noticed a piece of 1/4" plywood about 2x2' nailed to the basement rafters in the closet beneath the stairs. It made no sense that they would "finish" that small section of basement ceiling in an unfinished closet so I figured the previous owners must have hidden something in there. Even though it was only plywood the water and gas pipes ran over it making it a pain to get to. Eventually I managed to drill and pry into it and found absolutely nothing. I still wonder why someone decided to nail that little piece of wood there for no reason whatsoever.
Maybe a joke on the next owner?
Image

User avatar
cheese_breath
Posts: 9575
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by cheese_breath » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:49 pm

brcarls wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:36 pm
CheepSkate wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:44 pm
My house came with a very large, very rusty, very old safe in the garage that has been locked since before the PO bought the house. It’s maybe 40 inches square and is on iron wheels - probably 500lbs. I’ve lived with it for a year. Might roll it to the curb to free up space someday. I think it’s doubtful there are gold bars in it or anything.
Where do you live? I'll haul it away for free if you're close. If the door is hardened, it would make a fine gong on my rifle range!
You'll shoot your eye out! :D
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

User avatar
cheese_breath
Posts: 9575
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by cheese_breath » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:51 pm

Luke Duke wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:43 pm
cheese_breath wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:45 pm
tev9876 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:38 pm
I would go with the drill and boroscope method. A 1/4" hole should be big enough to get the scope inside - just stay away from the moving mechanical stuff. If you decided you want to use the safe eventually you can easily press fit or weld a piece of 1/4" steel bar into the hole to restore the water/fire proofing. You might even be able to tap it and seal it up with a bolt - that way the next owner won't have to drill when you leave it locked.

Years ago I noticed a piece of 1/4" plywood about 2x2' nailed to the basement rafters in the closet beneath the stairs. It made no sense that they would "finish" that small section of basement ceiling in an unfinished closet so I figured the previous owners must have hidden something in there. Even though it was only plywood the water and gas pipes ran over it making it a pain to get to. Eventually I managed to drill and pry into it and found absolutely nothing. I still wonder why someone decided to nail that little piece of wood there for no reason whatsoever.
Maybe a joke on the next owner?
Image
That's great! :thumbsup
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

Workable Goblin
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:37 pm
Location: Honolulu, HI

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by Workable Goblin » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:03 pm

cheese_breath wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:51 pm
That's great! :thumbsup
I look at it and see getting into a lot of hot water on suspicion of murder until forensics figures out that it's a fake skeleton and not a real one. That doesn't sound so fun to me...

clip651
Posts: 663
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:02 am

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by clip651 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:18 pm

Workable Goblin wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:03 pm
cheese_breath wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:51 pm
That's great! :thumbsup
I look at it and see getting into a lot of hot water on suspicion of murder until forensics figures out that it's a fake skeleton and not a real one. That doesn't sound so fun to me...
I think it's a really bad joke, really not nice to intentionally try to scare someone you don't even know for no reason ... but I doubt it would take a forensics team to figure out the difference between a real skeleton and a plastic one from party city.

Workable Goblin
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:37 pm
Location: Honolulu, HI

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by Workable Goblin » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:36 pm

clip651 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:18 pm
I think it's a really bad joke, really not nice to intentionally try to scare someone you don't even know for no reason ... but I doubt it would take a forensics team to figure out the difference between a real skeleton and a plastic one from party city.
My thinking is that after twenty or thirty years in the ground it might have broken up and not obviously be fake any longer, so that the discoverer would have to do some degree of testing to show that there was never an actual body there.

Doug E. Dee
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:18 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by Doug E. Dee » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:38 pm

gips wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:35 pm
We're heading home in 2-3 weeks, so we have a small window of opportunity until next spring to decide if we want to do something with the safe on this trip
There is no way we can wait until next spring to see what's in that safe!

User avatar
snackdog
Posts: 900
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:57 am

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by snackdog » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:51 pm

How about leaving it closed and including it explicitly in your will? It will be an interesting surprise for someone one day.

NewOldGuy
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:37 am

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by NewOldGuy » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:38 pm

Drill a hole, insert scope.

User avatar
ClevrChico
Posts: 1684
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:24 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by ClevrChico » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:56 pm

Workable Goblin wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:36 pm
clip651 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:18 pm
I think it's a really bad joke, really not nice to intentionally try to scare someone you don't even know for no reason ... but I doubt it would take a forensics team to figure out the difference between a real skeleton and a plastic one from party city.
My thinking is that after twenty or thirty years in the ground it might have broken up and not obviously be fake any longer, so that the discoverer would have to do some degree of testing to show that there was never an actual body there.
Yes, venturing off topic here, but the plastic skeleton is probably of the lowest quality, and will be in pieces. Even if not, I doubt the authorities will be too alarmed. We found a large, fresh heart once and called the police. They wouldn't bother even investigating as the dispatcher said it was likely a deer that had been processed by a hunter. They're probably very used to people overreacting.

Red Spot
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:15 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by Red Spot » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:30 pm

Probably Schrödinger’s Safe

seychellois_lib
Posts: 266
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:05 am

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by seychellois_lib » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:35 am

JoMoney wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:05 pm
My guess is the safe is empty or just worthless documents. People tend not to forget about things of value.
How many digits on the dial 0-99 / 100 ? So a million possible combinations (100 * 100 * 100)...
You got all the time in the world. Print out some lists of all the possible combinations and start crossing them off. Someday you'll eventually hit it.
Any bored kids around? Certain personality types will get a kick out of trying to solve it.
If you play with it enough, you (or someone) might actually pickup some flaws in the mechanism giving a sound or feel that helps narrow it down. These things sometimes become more apparent after spending more time and focus on it. Even if it's empty, the dopamine reward from solving it might be something...
Get one of those people out of the movies who can guess passwords after two or three attempts. That's the real deal...right?

seychellois_lib
Posts: 266
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:05 am

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by seychellois_lib » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:43 am

Luke Duke wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:43 pm
cheese_breath wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:45 pm
tev9876 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:38 pm
I would go with the drill and boroscope method. A 1/4" hole should be big enough to get the scope inside - just stay away from the moving mechanical stuff. If you decided you want to use the safe eventually you can easily press fit or weld a piece of 1/4" steel bar into the hole to restore the water/fire proofing. You might even be able to tap it and seal it up with a bolt - that way the next owner won't have to drill when you leave it locked.

Years ago I noticed a piece of 1/4" plywood about 2x2' nailed to the basement rafters in the closet beneath the stairs. It made no sense that they would "finish" that small section of basement ceiling in an unfinished closet so I figured the previous owners must have hidden something in there. Even though it was only plywood the water and gas pipes ran over it making it a pain to get to. Eventually I managed to drill and pry into it and found absolutely nothing. I still wonder why someone decided to nail that little piece of wood there for no reason whatsoever.
Maybe a joke on the next owner?
Image
Man, that is evil. I can just see the cops, FD, sirens, alarms and excursions, panicked children, terrified animals, forensic specialists , conspiracy theories, wild news articles, etc. I assume there are no readily apparent "made in China" tags attached. That could potentially tip the police off.
But, overall, a fantastic idea!

Freetime76
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:26 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by Freetime76 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:24 am

Mr.BB wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:47 am
joe8d wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:41 am
Call local Parole board. Find out the safe crackers that just got out. Hire them.
ROFL!!!! :D
I had the same thought - you need someone with “skills”. But then they know what you have and where you live... :shock:

Freetime76
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:26 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by Freetime76 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:27 am

Miriam2 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:08 pm
Now this is really getting exciting!

A fairly large heavy hidden floor safe set in concrete left behind in the guest room of a recently purchased condo.

The terms of the condo purchase included all contents.

The safe is locked.

The previous owner had no idea there was a safe and doesn’t have the combination.

No one knows who installed it or left it.

No one knows how to get into it.

No one knows what's inside.

The safe could have a false floor.

There is an organic odor coming from the guest room.
Excellent. You HAVE to open it. I’d try the stethoscope first. It works on Columbo, it has to be real. Then, shop around for a cheaper locksmith.

Even if you can’t share that you’re now retired in Tahiti due to your .... find, at least make up something good. Pretty please - Your public demands it :beer

investingdad
Posts: 1738
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:41 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by investingdad » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:47 am

Next time... on Bogleheads Oak Island, a clue is found that leads to speculation the safe COULD be a Templar relic. An iron nail is discovered embedded in the carpet. And excitement ramps up when it's discovered the former owner had an uncle's cousin's mother's friend who was a friend of Al Capone...

User avatar
MaryO
Posts: 118
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:36 am
Location: New Jersey

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by MaryO » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:21 am

So far posts have suggested Columbo and Michael Weston & Fiona might be helpful. Has anyone contacted MacGyver?

Reamus294
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:54 am

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by Reamus294 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:50 am

I couldn't resist.
Here is a random document that shows the opening procedure for an S&G 6700 series, changing combination, and diagrams. https://www.cdse.edu/documents/cdse/com ... -locks.pdf page 32 of 73

Counting turns can be confusing, and here are the instructions, they posted.

Turn dial to left stopping when first number is aligned the fourth time
Turn dial right stopping when the when the the second number is aligned the third time
Turn dial left stopping when the third number is aligned the second time
Turn dial right pausing momentarily at 0, and continue until is stops, this retracts the locking bolt

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 23148
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by dm200 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:58 am

Excellent. You HAVE to open it. I’d try the stethoscope first. It works on Columbo, it has to be real. Then, shop around for a cheaper locksmith.
Even if you can’t share that you’re now retired in Tahiti due to your .... find, at least make up something good. Pretty please - Your public demands it :beer
Certainly no experience or expertise here - but it sure seems to me that this safe could be opened without damaging it for your future use. Perhaps a locksmith that specializes in this brand and model?

I also wonder if the local police department's Burglary experts might provide some insight and knowledge?

User avatar
Doom&Gloom
Posts: 3434
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by Doom&Gloom » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:55 pm

dm200 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:58 am
Excellent. You HAVE to open it. I’d try the stethoscope first. It works on Columbo, it has to be real. Then, shop around for a cheaper locksmith.
Even if you can’t share that you’re now retired in Tahiti due to your .... find, at least make up something good. Pretty please - Your public demands it :beer
Certainly no experience or expertise here - but it sure seems to me that this safe could be opened without damaging it for your future use. Perhaps a locksmith that specializes in this brand and model?

I also wonder if the local police department's Burglary experts might provide some insight and knowledge?
Would you buy a safe if you knew that this were true? :twisted:

jpdion
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:52 pm

Re: Found hidden safe, should we crack?

Post by jpdion » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:17 pm

It's Schrödinger's Safe - it's full and empty at he same time . . . until it's opened!

Locked