Need some Xmas Suggestions

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
drdrgolf

Need some Xmas Suggestions

Post by drdrgolf » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:27 am

I have a mini problem and it concerns my 2 grand-daughters aged 14 and 16. These girls are such a pleasure to be with as they are articulate, well educated and loving. However, they have everything. My son has a high paying job and the girls are attending a very exclusive school and while living at home are the busiest teenagers I have ever been around in spite of my teaching career at a local high school.
I'm looking for gift ideas that do not include money, electronic devices or gift cards,
Any and all suggestions will be appreciated and Happy Holidays to you.
Dominic
Dominic

fabdog

Re: Need some Xmas Suggestions

Post by fabdog » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:32 am

What do they like to do? Any hobbies, etc... We've gotten teenagers passes to local them park, water park, signed them up for a summer session on a topic of interest (science/computers, etc)

Are there things you enjoy together? My Dad gets my son a day out fishing since they enjoy it.

I am sure others will have great suggestions as well

Mike

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:33 am

Small gift, but fun... My nieces loved Birchbox subscriptions. Monthly personalized deliveries of makeup, skin care and hair care products. I gave them a sampler box plus card that they used to access the prepaid subscription to customize future deliveries.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:34 am

Books.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:35 am

Family gifts our kids have cherished :
NYC weekend away with hotel/bus, - seen Play Goes Wrong, School of Rock, Come from Away, Derren Brown
Fishing Day Trip
Family Boxing Class at local gym (finally get to beat up on mom and dad!), Family Yoga class, Family Boot Camp.
Surfing School BVI

Common theme: all great experiences/memories

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:04 am

drdrgolf wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:27 am
I have a mini problem and it concerns my 2 grand-daughters aged 14 and 16. These girls are such a pleasure to be with as they are articulate, well educated and loving. However, they have everything. My son has a high paying job and the girls are attending a very exclusive school and while living at home are the busiest teenagers I have ever been around in spite of my teaching career at a local high school.
I'm looking for gift ideas that do not include money, electronic devices or gift cards,
Dominic
No such situation - either from my youth OR now with grown child(ren) and soon to be grandchild.

This would not be a "gift", but rather an "experience" - find some group or charity that helps less fortunate folks at the holidays. Perhaps a dinner where you could be part of cooking and serving. Many organizations host such dinners at Thanksgiving time and at Christmas. Maybe it would be good (and enlightening) for them to see how so many others live.

Since they are so very, very "busy" all the time - is there any kind of experience you could do with them that is not so "busy" (relaxing, in other words)?

Might their parents have any ideas?

If you spend time with the girls, maybe discuss some "ideas".

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:18 am

drdrgolf wrote:
Dominic
Experience, rather than material goods.
What experience depends on what they like- sporting event, musical event, whitewater rafting, whatever.
Also depends on how much you want to spend. Ask your son.

Speckles

Post by Speckles » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:47 pm

Your granddaughters may be a bit old for this idea, but I’ll let you decide. It is more about presentation than the present in this case. The concept is a “treasure hunt” or “solve a mystery”. You wrap up a box that contains the first clue and a very romantic back story to go with it. “A long time ago, a girl just your age hide her most valuable locket containing a picture of her beloved, but secret love. She left a strange clue that would lead to the locket and reveal the story ...”. Well, you get the idea. Then, the first clue leads to a second clue and a third as long as you want to keep the thing going.

Examples of clues could be “she hid the next clue in an Easter egg in my house, which has never been found to this day”, or “the next clue is found by reading the book “A Wrinkle in Time” and finding where Meg in the story met her ....”. In this example, the gift at the end is a locket contains an old photo of some relative (you?) or her great-grandfather or uncle.

One could also spin a tale to go along with something special from your family that you are willing to pass on now. An old silver dollar? Great-grandma’s special earrings? A family wedding ring?

The tale’s theme could also be about your genealogy, where they discover their roots. So many good tales out there.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:57 pm

dm200 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:04 am
drdrgolf wrote:
Dominic
No such situation - either from my youth OR now with grown child(ren) and soon to be grandchild.

This would not be a "gift", but rather an "experience" - find some group or charity that helps less fortunate folks at the holidays. Perhaps a dinner where you could be part of cooking and serving. Many organizations host such dinners at Thanksgiving time and at Christmas. Maybe it would be good (and enlightening) for them to see how so many others live.

Since they are so very, very "busy" all the time - is there any kind of experience you could do with them that is not so "busy" (relaxing, in other words)?

Might their parents have any ideas?

If you spend time with the girls, maybe discuss some "ideas".
This is a great idea!
You can gift pet supplies and a day at the local animal shelter, food pantry, etc.
If anywhere near Kanab UT, consider volunteering at Best Friends - truly an inspirational organization

Trism

Post by Trism » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:05 pm

I've switched to giving experiential gifts only.

For example, a couple of years ago I gave my nephew/nieces a helicopter tour of San Diego while they were visiting, which they still talk about.

I made the switch because everyone has everything, and all anyone ever asked for was gift cards, and I flatly refuse.

IMO

Post by IMO » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:12 pm

OP, like your desire not to give cash or gift cards. I hate that bdays/xmas have for the most part turned into an exchange of money and/or gift cards.

Have you asked their parents for ideas? It's hard to buy for kids nowadays, especially if they have parents that provide most things they need.
For my parents, they have the same problem as you note for all the grand kids. In fact, the aunts/uncles often have the same problems. What I do is shop for the gparents/aunts/uncles and look for small reasonable gifts that complement my kids activities and then let them know what we got/why and then wrap it from them to give (they reimburse the money of course). No need to return or re-gift which is another annoyance of mine.

But here's an ideal: One can get photos turned into a basically a piece of art. A family member of mine got one of my parents for a bday present a nice picture of her dog where she was able to customize the background with manually added coloring. Was a very fitting present as the dog was sick and passed away about a week later. Perhaps the kids/parents have a nice picture of them or of a pet (dog/horse,etc) and can have it made into a nice piece of art for their wall?

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:45 am

Why not give the teenagers a GIFT CERTIFICATE of your TIME?? Schedule to do something that they want to do when they are available and just do it.

Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:41 am

I’ll add to the recommendations for an experience, especially if you live nearby. Take them to a play or an event of some sort. Try to find something that’s a bit of a different pace from their busy lives. They might appreciate the opportunity to shift gears.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:37 pm

how about instead of a present, take them somewhere, a broadway show, and day doing or seeing something they like. Memories last forever.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:44 pm

Are there any folks out there who were in this financial situation as a child growing up? I, certainly, was not!

If so, what kind of Christmas (or other) gifts did you value?

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:54 pm

dm200 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:44 pm
Are there any folks out there who were in this financial situation as a child growing up? I, certainly, was not!

I was not, either.

Currently, (my children, no grandchildren) I have one poor college student and one that just graduated. They need money for Christmas!

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:00 pm

Around here some kids ask for items for the local animal rescue shelter - food, litter, treats, for their birthdays, then they take it to the shelter and pose with a kitty and get their photo on the shelter's page on facebook. This is a private shelter, not the town run shelter which is not so well run.

Certainly at my advanced ago, I'd rather get this kind of a present than more stuff.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:06 pm

jlawrence01 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:45 am
Why not give the teenagers a GIFT CERTIFICATE of your TIME?? Schedule to do something that they want to do when they are available and just do it.
My suggestion is to combine this with the volunteering recommended up thread. Make a date with them to volunteer doing something that is meaningful to them, animal shelter, Habitat for Humanity (might have age restrictions), food pantry, etc. In addition to other benefits, although it’s early for them at 14 and 16, it might blossom into ongoing volunteering which is helpful on college applications.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:07 pm

dm200 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:44 pm

I had plenty of Christmas presents growing up. The ones i like the most involved building things. Legos, knex, brio. Then as a teenager, hobby quality rc cars and airplanes.

Wed get plenty of stuff on birthdays and christmas but not much in between.

RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:31 pm

How about a subscription to masterclass.com?

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:08 pm

Just to add a suggestion to the experience gifts. In our family, the experience often occurs before the holiday. Then, a remembrance of that day, such as a framed photo of the day or a widget from the location, is wrapped and given on the holiday.

URSnshn

Post by URSnshn » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:28 pm

How about a cooking lesson(s) and meal either done personally with you as the experienced chef or at a cooking school or similar.

Leemiller

Post by Leemiller » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:03 pm

I gave money to adopt an animal charity which came complete with updates on how the animal was going & a stuffed toy to my daughter, but she is younger. Maybe an inspiring book about women or a book of art by women? I think that may be an inspiring gift for two young ladies. I will say volunteering, while admirable, is not really a gift to give someone.

CheCha54

Post by CheCha54 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:40 pm

I've given money through Fidelity's Gift for Giving program.