Need some Xmas Suggestions

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
drdrgolf
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:17 am

Need some Xmas Suggestions

Post by drdrgolf » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:27 am

I have a mini problem and it concerns my 2 grand-daughters aged 14 and 16. These girls are such a pleasure to be with as they are articulate, well educated and loving. However, they have everything. My son has a high paying job and the girls are attending a very exclusive school and while living at home are the busiest teenagers I have ever been around in spite of my teaching career at a local high school.
I'm looking for gift ideas that do not include money, electronic devices or gift cards,
Any and all suggestions will be appreciated and Happy Holidays to you.
Dominic
Dominic

fabdog
Posts: 880
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:59 pm
Location: Williamsburg VA

Re: Need some Xmas Suggestions

Post by fabdog » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:32 am

What do they like to do? Any hobbies, etc... We've gotten teenagers passes to local them park, water park, signed them up for a summer session on a topic of interest (science/computers, etc)

Are there things you enjoy together? My Dad gets my son a day out fishing since they enjoy it.

I am sure others will have great suggestions as well

Mike

HomeStretch
Posts: 3465
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:06 pm

Re: Need some Xmas Suggestions

Post by HomeStretch » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:33 am

Small gift, but fun... My nieces loved Birchbox subscriptions. Monthly personalized deliveries of makeup, skin care and hair care products. I gave them a sampler box plus card that they used to access the prepaid subscription to customize future deliveries.

bloom2708
Posts: 7091
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:08 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: Need some Xmas Suggestions

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:34 am

Books.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

arsenalfan
Posts: 782
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:26 am

Re: Need some Xmas Suggestions

Post by arsenalfan » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:35 am

Family gifts our kids have cherished :
NYC weekend away with hotel/bus, - seen Play Goes Wrong, School of Rock, Come from Away, Derren Brown
Fishing Day Trip
Family Boxing Class at local gym (finally get to beat up on mom and dad!), Family Yoga class, Family Boot Camp.
Surfing School BVI

Common theme: all great experiences/memories

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 22885
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Need some Xmas Suggestions

Post by dm200 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:04 am

drdrgolf wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:27 am
I have a mini problem and it concerns my 2 grand-daughters aged 14 and 16. These girls are such a pleasure to be with as they are articulate, well educated and loving. However, they have everything. My son has a high paying job and the girls are attending a very exclusive school and while living at home are the busiest teenagers I have ever been around in spite of my teaching career at a local high school.
I'm looking for gift ideas that do not include money, electronic devices or gift cards,
Any and all suggestions will be appreciated and Happy Holidays to you.
Dominic
No such situation - either from my youth OR now with grown child(ren) and soon to be grandchild.

This would not be a "gift", but rather an "experience" - find some group or charity that helps less fortunate folks at the holidays. Perhaps a dinner where you could be part of cooking and serving. Many organizations host such dinners at Thanksgiving time and at Christmas. Maybe it would be good (and enlightening) for them to see how so many others live.

Since they are so very, very "busy" all the time - is there any kind of experience you could do with them that is not so "busy" (relaxing, in other words)?

Might their parents have any ideas?

If you spend time with the girls, maybe discuss some "ideas".

protagonist
Posts: 6088
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Re: Need some Xmas Suggestions

Post by protagonist » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:18 am

drdrgolf wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:27 am
I have a mini problem and it concerns my 2 grand-daughters aged 14 and 16. These girls are such a pleasure to be with as they are articulate, well educated and loving. However, they have everything. My son has a high paying job and the girls are attending a very exclusive school and while living at home are the busiest teenagers I have ever been around in spite of my teaching career at a local high school.
I'm looking for gift ideas that do not include money, electronic devices or gift cards,
Any and all suggestions will be appreciated and Happy Holidays to you.
Dominic
Experience, rather than material goods.
What experience depends on what they like- sporting event, musical event, whitewater rafting, whatever.
Also depends on how much you want to spend. Ask your son.

Speckles
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:36 am

Re: Need some Xmas Suggestions

Post by Speckles » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:47 pm

Your granddaughters may be a bit old for this idea, but I’ll let you decide. It is more about presentation than the present in this case. The concept is a “treasure hunt” or “solve a mystery”. You wrap up a box that contains the first clue and a very romantic back story to go with it. “A long time ago, a girl just your age hide her most valuable locket containing a picture of her beloved, but secret love. She left a strange clue that would lead to the locket and reveal the story ...”. Well, you get the idea. Then, the first clue leads to a second clue and a third as long as you want to keep the thing going.

Examples of clues could be “she hid the next clue in an Easter egg in my house, which has never been found to this day”, or “the next clue is found by reading the book “A Wrinkle in Time” and finding where Meg in the story met her ....”. In this example, the gift at the end is a locket contains an old photo of some relative (you?) or her great-grandfather or uncle.

One could also spin a tale to go along with something special from your family that you are willing to pass on now. An old silver dollar? Great-grandma’s special earrings? A family wedding ring?

The tale’s theme could also be about your genealogy, where they discover their roots. So many good tales out there.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

arsenalfan
Posts: 782
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:26 am

Re: Need some Xmas Suggestions

Post by arsenalfan » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:57 pm

dm200 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:04 am
drdrgolf wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:27 am
I have a mini problem and it concerns my 2 grand-daughters aged 14 and 16. These girls are such a pleasure to be with as they are articulate, well educated and loving. However, they have everything. My son has a high paying job and the girls are attending a very exclusive school and while living at home are the busiest teenagers I have ever been around in spite of my teaching career at a local high school.
I'm looking for gift ideas that do not include money, electronic devices or gift cards,
Any and all suggestions will be appreciated and Happy Holidays to you.
Dominic
No such situation - either from my youth OR now with grown child(ren) and soon to be grandchild.

This would not be a "gift", but rather an "experience" - find some group or charity that helps less fortunate folks at the holidays. Perhaps a dinner where you could be part of cooking and serving. Many organizations host such dinners at Thanksgiving time and at Christmas. Maybe it would be good (and enlightening) for them to see how so many others live.

Since they are so very, very "busy" all the time - is there any kind of experience you could do with them that is not so "busy" (relaxing, in other words)?

Might their parents have any ideas?

If you spend time with the girls, maybe discuss some "ideas".
This is a great idea!
You can gift pet supplies and a day at the local animal shelter, food pantry, etc.
If anywhere near Kanab UT, consider volunteering at Best Friends - truly an inspirational organization

Trism
Posts: 590
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:34 pm

Re: Need some Xmas Suggestions

Post by Trism » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:05 pm

I've switched to giving experiential gifts only.

For example, a couple of years ago I gave my nephew/nieces a helicopter tour of San Diego while they were visiting, which they still talk about.

I made the switch because everyone has everything, and all anyone ever asked for was gift cards, and I flatly refuse.

IMO
Posts: 704
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: Need some Xmas Suggestions

Post by IMO » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:12 pm

OP, like your desire not to give cash or gift cards. I hate that bdays/xmas have for the most part turned into an exchange of money and/or gift cards.

Have you asked their parents for ideas? It's hard to buy for kids nowadays, especially if they have parents that provide most things they need.
For my parents, they have the same problem as you note for all the grand kids. In fact, the aunts/uncles often have the same problems. What I do is shop for the gparents/aunts/uncles and look for small reasonable gifts that complement my kids activities and then let them know what we got/why and then wrap it from them to give (they reimburse the money of course). No need to return or re-gift which is another annoyance of mine.

But here's an ideal: One can get photos turned into a basically a piece of art. A family member of mine got one of my parents for a bday present a nice picture of her dog where she was able to customize the background with manually added coloring. Was a very fitting present as the dog was sick and passed away about a week later. Perhaps the kids/parents have a nice picture of them or of a pet (dog/horse,etc) and can have it made into a nice piece of art for their wall?

jlawrence01
Posts: 1575
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:34 am
Location: Southern AZ

Re: Need some Xmas Suggestions

Post by jlawrence01 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:45 am

Why not give the teenagers a GIFT CERTIFICATE of your TIME?? Schedule to do something that they want to do when they are available and just do it.

Nearly A Moose
Posts: 1026
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:28 pm

Re: Need some Xmas Suggestions

Post by Nearly A Moose » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:41 am

I’ll add to the recommendations for an experience, especially if you live nearby. Take them to a play or an event of some sort. Try to find something that’s a bit of a different pace from their busy lives. They might appreciate the opportunity to shift gears.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

Thegame14
Posts: 1351
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 11:53 am

Re: Need some Xmas Suggestions

Post by Thegame14 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:37 pm

how about instead of a present, take them somewhere, a broadway show, and day doing or seeing something they like. Memories last forever.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 22885
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Need some Xmas Suggestions

Post by dm200 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:44 pm

Are there any folks out there who were in this financial situation as a child growing up? I, certainly, was not!

If so, what kind of Christmas (or other) gifts did you value?

User avatar
LilyFleur
Posts: 835
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:36 pm

Re: Need some Xmas Suggestions

Post by LilyFleur » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:54 pm

dm200 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:44 pm
Are there any folks out there who were in this financial situation as a child growing up? I, certainly, was not!

If so, what kind of Christmas (or other) gifts did you value?
I was not, either.

Currently, (my children, no grandchildren) I have one poor college student and one that just graduated. They need money for Christmas!

fru-gal
Posts: 1276
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:48 pm
Location: New England

Re: Need some Xmas Suggestions

Post by fru-gal » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:00 pm

Around here some kids ask for items for the local animal rescue shelter - food, litter, treats, for their birthdays, then they take it to the shelter and pose with a kitty and get their photo on the shelter's page on facebook. This is a private shelter, not the town run shelter which is not so well run.

Certainly at my advanced ago, I'd rather get this kind of a present than more stuff.

User avatar
TomatoTomahto
Posts: 9745
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: Need some Xmas Suggestions

Post by TomatoTomahto » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:06 pm

jlawrence01 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:45 am
Why not give the teenagers a GIFT CERTIFICATE of your TIME?? Schedule to do something that they want to do when they are available and just do it.
My suggestion is to combine this with the volunteering recommended up thread. Make a date with them to volunteer doing something that is meaningful to them, animal shelter, Habitat for Humanity (might have age restrictions), food pantry, etc. In addition to other benefits, although it’s early for them at 14 and 16, it might blossom into ongoing volunteering which is helpful on college applications.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

barnaclebob
Posts: 4001
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:54 am

Re: Need some Xmas Suggestions

Post by barnaclebob » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:07 pm

dm200 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:44 pm
Are there any folks out there who were in this financial situation as a child growing up? I, certainly, was not!

If so, what kind of Christmas (or other) gifts did you value?
I had plenty of Christmas presents growing up. The ones i like the most involved building things. Legos, knex, brio. Then as a teenager, hobby quality rc cars and airplanes.

Wed get plenty of stuff on birthdays and christmas but not much in between.

RubyTuesday
Posts: 329
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:24 am

Re: Need some Xmas Suggestions

Post by RubyTuesday » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:31 pm

How about a subscription to masterclass.com?

Katietsu
Posts: 2727
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:48 am

Re: Need some Xmas Suggestions

Post by Katietsu » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:08 pm

Just to add a suggestion to the experience gifts. In our family, the experience often occurs before the holiday. Then, a remembrance of that day, such as a framed photo of the day or a widget from the location, is wrapped and given on the holiday.

URSnshn
Posts: 208
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:10 pm

Re: Need some Xmas Suggestions

Post by URSnshn » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:28 pm

How about a cooking lesson(s) and meal either done personally with you as the experienced chef or at a cooking school or similar.

Leemiller
Posts: 1274
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:42 pm

Re: Need some Xmas Suggestions

Post by Leemiller » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:03 pm

I gave money to adopt an animal charity which came complete with updates on how the animal was going & a stuffed toy to my daughter, but she is younger. Maybe an inspiring book about women or a book of art by women? I think that may be an inspiring gift for two young ladies. I will say volunteering, while admirable, is not really a gift to give someone.

CheCha54
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:21 am

Re: Need some Xmas Suggestions

Post by CheCha54 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:40 pm

I've given money through Fidelity's Gift for Giving program.

Post Reply