Looking for a charity giving Christmas experience

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Pomegranate

Looking for a charity giving Christmas experience

Post by Pomegranate » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:07 pm

I was donating items for Angel tree charity few times but this year got a mixed feelings. Tree in the office is covered by ‘Ann, 20 yrs old, watches’ or ‘Mike, 18 yrs old, ipad pro’ :annoyed
I mean I also was short of money when I was a teen but I was already working in fast food when I was 18 to get some cash...
Do you know some charities that provide support to kids in REAL need?

Nicolas

Re: Looking for a charity giving Christmas experience

Post by Nicolas » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:10 pm

I suggest The Salvation Army.

SixAlpha

Post by SixAlpha » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:12 pm

Check with schools in your a area? Often they maintain a list of enrolled students who are in need.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:32 pm

Check local family shelters/food pantries. At the holidays, one can donate wish list items (like new toys, coats, gloves, food, etc.) to shelter kids and families.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:49 pm

Pomegranate wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:07 pm
I was donating items for Angel tree charity few times but this year got a mixed feelings. Tree in the office is covered by ‘Ann, 20 yrs old, watches’ or ‘Mike, 18 yrs old, ipad pro’ :annoyed
I mean I also was short of money when I was a teen but I was already working in fast food when I was 18 to get some cash...
What does REAL need mean to you?
Younger kids? Different gifts?
Don't be a lemming.

Topic Author
Pomegranate

Post by Pomegranate » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:53 pm

HomeStretch wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:32 pm
Check local family shelters/food pantries. At the holidays, one can donate wish list items (like new toys, coats, gloves, food, etc.) to shelter kids and families.
Good idea

galawdawg

Post by galawdawg » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:59 pm

SixAlpha wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:12 pm
Check with schools in your a area? Often they maintain a list of enrolled students who are in need.
Unfortunately, that isn't always the best option to ensure your giving gets to someone who is truly in need. One year our family did that and when we contacted the "in need" family to deliver the gifts were asked to just leave them on the porch since they were going to Walmart. They had two late model vehicles (one a fairly expensive SUV) in the driveway and a yard which included two four-wheelers, a trampoline, an above-ground pool, and more "stuff" then we had! I learned when I contacted the school later that there was no screening mechanism and that people could just sign up for Christmas "help". It appears that in the US, being "in need" may just mean being in consumer debt...I'm not sure there are many people here who truly know what it means to be "needy".

If you want to give to a truly "in need" family, you might consider looking beyond the US and giving a goat, chickens, or livestock (https://www.samaritanspurse.org/what-we ... riculture/) or even a well with clean drinking water (https://donate.worldvision.org/give/deep-well). Just a few suggestions.

Topic Author
Pomegranate

Post by Pomegranate » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:00 pm

JoeRetire wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:49 pm
Pomegranate wrote:
Confused by the word 'kids' in your post. For me kids are younger than 13 (teen=teenager, right?). By real needs I mean basic clothes, sporting goods, cheap toys.
For example, 'Mary, 6, soccer ball' makes sense for me but 'JoeRetire, 55, BMW X6' sounds weird :sharebeer

Topic Author
Pomegranate

Post by Pomegranate » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:02 pm

galawdawg wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:59 pm
SixAlpha wrote:
Unfortunately, that isn't always the best option to ensure your giving gets to someone who is truly in need. One year our family did that and when we contacted the "in need" family to deliver the gifts were asked to just leave them on the porch since they were going to Walmart. They had two late model vehicles (one a fairly expensive SUV) in the driveway and a yard which included two four-wheelers, a trampoline, an above-ground pool, and more "stuff" then we had! I learned when I contacted the school later that there was no screening mechanism and that people could just sign up for Christmas "help". It appears that in the US, being "in need" may just mean being in consumer debt...I'm not sure there are many people here who truly know what it means to be "needy".

If you want to give to a truly "in need" family, you might consider looking beyond the US and giving a goat, chickens, or livestock (https://www.samaritanspurse.org/what-we ... riculture/) or even a well with clean drinking water (https://donate.worldvision.org/give/deep-well). Just a few suggestions.
That's a common issue in this country unfortunately. This family might not have official income but get under the table paychecks and qualify for all the possible help :oops: I've seen it a couple of times :annoyed
Thanks for the links!

CheCha54

Post by CheCha54 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:06 pm

Local family crisis centers and children's homes are good choices. Toys for tots through the Marine Corps would work.

gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:06 pm

I tend to give animals to impoverished people in the third world in the names of my giftees: https://www.heifer.org/
Giving an animal is like giving someone a small business, providing wool, milk, eggs and more. Animal donations can provide families a hand up, increasing access to medicine, school, food and a sustainable livelihood.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:07 pm

Pomegranate wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:00 pm
JoeRetire wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:49 pm
Pomegranate wrote:
Confused by the word 'kids' in your post. For me kids are younger than 13 (teen=teenager, right?). By real needs I mean basic clothes, sporting goods, cheap toys.
For example, 'Mary, 6, soccer ball' makes sense for me but 'JoeRetire, 55, BMW X6' sounds weird :sharebeer
You were confused by the term 'younger kids'? My children are in their 30s. They are still "my kids" to me. But regarding your question I was just trying to find out if 'younger than 20 and 18' was your issue. Apparently that was part of it.

So, okay. For you - pre-teens, and basic clothes, sporting goods, and cheap toys are your targets.

In my town, the local food pantry would easily be able to give you a list of families having children that age. There is no doubt in my mind that they are in need, but you would have to judge that for yourself based on your personal definition of "REAL need" I guess. I suspect that while they might well be thrilled with a watch or iPad Pro, they would be happy receiving any gift at all. Many of them won't get anything if donations don't come through.
Don't be a lemming.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:47 pm

Pomegranate wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:02 pm
galawdawg wrote:
SixAlpha wrote:

That's a common issue in this country unfortunately. This family might not have official income but get under the table paychecks and qualify for all the possible help :oops: I've seen it a couple of times :annoyed
Thanks for the links!
We had a similar experience 4yrs ago, although we were given the contact information from our church (the family was getting financial help from our tithes). When we showed up to a home more than twice the size of ours, with a newer suburban and a side-by-side in the driveway, we looked at each other and said never again. Not to mention the list included nothing but electronics when I was expecting to see clothing, bedding, etc. My wife organizes a drive at her work and we have our kids pick out a few toys they think kids their age would like, and we borrow my uncle's truck and take it all to a local shelter.

InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:08 pm

So many good choices, but one of the several good organizations that I give to is Donors Choose - you can choose the school project that appeals to you:
http://www.donorschoose.org/

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:44 pm

I do not know much about Angel Tree except that my church is involved with it. One of my groups to which I belong was asked to assist with a request from a six-year old who wanted a bed. I do not know the circumstances of the family. Fortunately we were able to provide fulfill this request.

student

Post by student » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:12 pm

Pomegranate wrote:
lol.

OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:34 pm

Am not sure what area of the country you live in, but if in a colder winter climate, one idea is to buy winter hats and gloves/mittens for younger kids--elementary age. And then take to your local elementary school. You'd be surprised at the number of kids that come to school in the freezing cold with no mittens or hats.

If you like to bake, bake up a platter of cookies/treats and take to a local homeless shelter/mission. Also, I'm sure they probably look to people to provide a meal. You could call them, set up a time to provide a meal for however many people they have, and then take the meal to the shelter.

SixAlpha

Post by SixAlpha » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:29 am

stoptothink wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:47 pm
Pomegranate wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:02 pm
galawdawg wrote:
SixAlpha wrote:

Thanks for the links!
We had a similar experience 4yrs ago, although we were given the contact information from our church (the family was getting financial help from our tithes). When we showed up to a home more than twice the size of ours, with a newer suburban and a side-by-side in the driveway, we looked at each other and said never again. Not to mention the list included nothing but electronics when I was expecting to see clothing, bedding, etc. My wife organizes a drive at her work and we have our kids pick out a few toys they think kids their age would like, and we borrow my uncle's truck and take it all to a local shelter.
This makes me sad as our church has always partnered with local schools for just this sort of thing. I always assumed there was a screening process.

djpeteski

Post by djpeteski » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:17 am

Pomegranate wrote:
What we like to do is to donate money to organizations that attempt to help families get back on their feet. There is a local charity in the Orlando area that helps people with resume writing, interview skills, and hold job fairs. They also have a food bank and does the gift giving thing for the kids. They do a great job recruiting volunteers as there are few spots available that work with our schedules. The charity is called Christian Help, and they provide life changing assistance in my opinion. You may need to do a little research to find one in your local area.

The other kind of thing I like to give to, is charities that situation where people have little or no choice. One that I think is excellent is The Pink Fund (https://www.pinkfund.org/). They help pay the bills of breast cancer patients and a very large percentage of the money donated goes to the patients. I am sure there are others that do similar things for other types of cancer.

galving

Post by galving » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:36 am

Consider a Local Food Bank.
The need is unrelenting and can make an immediate impact.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:45 am

Pomegranate wrote:
It's very weird.

Everyone knows that Mary plays softball, not soccer!
Don't be a lemming.

Shackleton

Post by Shackleton » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:58 am

Maybe look for a non-profit that provides experiences rather than gifts such as make-a-wish, or one of the non-profits providing sports programs to people with disabilities.
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton

TerryDMillerMBA

Post by TerryDMillerMBA » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:20 am

galving wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:36 am
Consider a Local Food Bank.
The need is unrelenting and can make an immediate impact.
This times ten. People all over the world need help, but take care of "home" first.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:28 am

Our community has a program for children called "Coats for Kids". And a service called "Shoe Bus", which are volunteer fundraising and distribution services . Does your community? I can tell you that there IS a strong need. Kids are going to school without coats and shoes and no breakfast, lunch or dinner or weekends, the latter of which, called "Backpack"is monitored by out school system where needing children are provided food for the evening and weekends. Your area is likely to have other groups to serve and give and give you a Christmas experience....a year round giving experience.
There are several organizations which can give you a Christmas experience money wise and volunteer wise. Contact a local school in your area. Talk with the principal, guidance counselor, etc.
Join a service organization like Rotary.and Kiwanis. ( My Rotary Club is involved with several Christmas reward type projects every year.) Find a service where YOU can be hands-on involved....not just money. Money is important, of course, but being personally involved may be even betterl
Thank you for wanting to help....Thank you.
Last edited by Sheepdog on Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just because it isn't your fault doesn't mean it isn't your responsibility....Josh Reid Jones

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:32 am

My brother (in Orange County, CA) donates toys to an org that helps foster kids. Sometimes when I was visiting we’d go to toy stores and fill many carts. He also buys cartloads of items needed by homeless people. You could look for a reputable charity in your area that supports one of these vulnerable populations.

FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:58 am

When you give Christmas gifts to local schools or charities, you need to accept the fact that some people who are not truly in "need" will take advantage. It is not your job to decide what someone else is allowed to spend their limited resources on, no matter how distasteful you find their poor spending habits. If you don't want to buy more "stuff" for people who already have a lot of "stuff" I would suggest funding a different type of charity altogether.

student

Post by student » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:05 am

FI4LIFE wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:58 am
When you give Christmas gifts to local schools or charities, you need to accept the fact that some people who are not truly in "need" will take advantage. It is not your job to decide what someone else is allowed to spend their limited resources on, no matter how distasteful you find their poor spending habits. If you don't want to buy more "stuff" for people who already have a lot of "stuff" I would suggest funding a different type of charity altogether.
Isn't this exactly what the OP is here for, looking for charities that align with his/her value?

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:28 am

I believe there are many, fine International Relief Charities - many of them operated by religious denominations - BUT the aid/assistance is provided without respect to religious affiliation - at least that is my understanding. [If anyone know this not to be generally true - please so post]

We support an outreach effort to a remote community in Haiti.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:33 am

I donate to Salvation Army. With its CEO making less than $15k a year plus housing, he's not in it for the money. There's a local branch that actively helps homeless, so I can help people right in my community.

On the other end of the spectrum, the CEO of United Way makes over $1.5M and of course the United Way is nothing but a marketing company who gives to "actual charities" who have their own overhead.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:39 am

I gave to a charity which buys various farm animals for poor in foreign in latin america and africa. Mom sent money for 3 ducks and I sent money for a goat. The idea is to enable families to have sustainable source of food production.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:48 am

Here is a site of an organization that "links" or "twins" faith/religious communities in the United States with those in Haiti and Latin America.

https://www.parishprogram.org/

This organization began as the "Haiti Parish Twinning Program" - then expanded the "twinning" to religious communities in Latin America.

I strongly recommend researching a "twinning" relationship - you can keep overhead costs very low - and funding such a relationship can be small/modest or much larger. Several organizations in the US can also work together to twin with a community in Haiti or Latin America.

Another possibility is to find a US community near you that is in such a relationship - and participate with that organization. One (very important, in my opinion and experience) aspect of such twinning arrangements is that you need not just be a financial supporter (although you can) - but be a part of the research, etc. of funding projects - and know, for sure, just how your donations are managed and spent - and how much, if any, "overhead" expenses come out of your financial support.
I gave to a charity which buys various farm animals for poor in foreign in latin america and africa. Mom sent money for 3 ducks and I sent money for a goat. The idea is to enable families to have sustainable source of food production.
Some projects funded in Haiti with this twinning program do exactly that. I am deeply involved (both financial support and on the committee) with one.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:54 am

Dottie57 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:39 am
Some of these "goat" projects work like this: Folks (here in the US) fund the purchase of a certain number of goats - that are "given" to folks/families there. Most are female goats, but a few males. The recipients of a female goat then (with the "help" of someone who has a male goat) will have a baby goat (kid) and then return that young goat to the program to be given to another family (if it is a female). Most of the male goats are sold for the meat or eaten. A lucky few males are kept to impregnate female goats in the community.

Another benefit of these programs is that better quality goats can be introduced into the community than the goats that are already there.

frugalmama

Post by frugalmama » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:01 am

FI4LIFE wrote:
+1
It could also be that the family was given these things previously. Additionally, it is common for lower income people to put more money into things such as transportation, etc. as without reliable transportation, they often can't get to work, so I wouldn't judge a family's need on their vehicle. I even know several people who are in need who live in a home that is owned by a relative. Our school district screens, but teachers are involved in that referral process. There are definitely people who take advantage of the system, but that will be true in any system.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:12 am

It could also be that the family was given these things previously. Additionally, it is common for lower income people to put more money into things such as transportation, etc. as without reliable transportation, they often can't get to work, so I wouldn't judge a family's need on their vehicle. I even know several people who are in need who live in a home that is owned by a relative. Our school district screens, but teachers are involved in that referral process. There are definitely people who take advantage of the system, but that will be true in any system.
I have regular occasion to interact with folks and families that get food assistance from a charity, as well as shopping (no charge) at a thrift shop - based at a church.

Perhaps I might be wrong - as cited - but I sometimes wonder about "need" when such folks drive much, much nicer and more expensive cars than ours. BUT - then, I still support (in several ways) these projects.

We cannot get too far into the "weeds" here on the topic - but I certainly notice how some different religious entities implement various kinds of charitable outreach. [Then some that do almost nothing!]

FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:23 am

student wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:05 am
FI4LIFE wrote:
Isn't this exactly what the OP is here for, looking for charities that align with his/her value?
I was attempting to address the multiple posts (including OPs) where people were disappointed in who was receiving their charitable gifts. Someone expecting Tiny Tim and the Cratchits from A Christmas Carol may be disappointed in the "experience".

The children of adults who make poor decisions still might need or enjoy toys/food/clothes etc. Those adults may not be as appreciative as some would hope, or may not enjoy having their (relative) poverty thrown in their face by well-meaning, charitable people. A percentage will not be poor at all and will be of questionable character. If that doesn't sound appealing, pick something completely different because that is the reality of many of these holiday toy drive campaigns, in my experience.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:23 am

Our daughter works with a few social workers that enable here to give to folks that are in desperate need for food and sleeping gear. It does require more time and work but that is what she wants - its all handled anonymously.

student

Post by student » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:27 am

frugalmama wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:01 am
FI4LIFE wrote:
+1
While it is true that they need reliable transportation but seeing "When we showed up to a home more than twice the size of ours, with a newer suburban and a side-by-side in the driveway, we looked at each other and said never again" certainly gives some of us pause.

student

Post by student » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:27 am

FI4LIFE wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:23 am
student wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:05 am
FI4LIFE wrote:
I was attempting to address the multiple posts (including OPs) where people were disappointed in who was receiving their charitable gifts. Someone expecting Tiny Tim and the Cratchits from A Christmas Carol may be disappointed in the "experience".

The children of adults who make poor decisions still might need or enjoy toys/food/clothes etc. Those adults may not be as appreciative as some would hope, or may not enjoy having their (relative) poverty thrown in their face by well-meaning, charitable people. A percentage will not be poor at all and will be of questionable character. If that doesn't sound appealing, pick something completely different because that is the reality of many of these holiday toy drive campaigns, in my experience.
ok. Thanks for clarifying.

RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:03 am

Pomegranate wrote:
Sheepdog wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:28 am
Find a service where YOU can be hands-on involved....not just money. Money is important, of course, but being personally involved may be even betterl
The search for the "truly needy" sometimes takes effort to align your values (broadly defined) with certain institutions' efforts. Here's a possible link to rate the efficiency of the given dollar with dollar delivered to the cause. https://www.consumerreports.org/chariti ... donations/
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.

goblue100

Post by goblue100 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:21 am

Here is one I have given to in the past, and probably will in the future:
https://www.heifer.org/gift-catalog/ani ... ucQAvD_BwE
Financial planners are savers. They want us to be 95 percent confident we can finance a 30-year retirement even though there is an 82 percent probability of being dead by then. - Scott Burns

NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:29 am

I avoid giving holiday presents to families, in favor of giving to charities who help families year round. The holiday excesses kind of creep me out in general, and if a child comes from a family where the adults make bad financial decisions, showering that child with expensive presents doesn't teach a lesson that resonates with me. Other people "get" the Christmas gift-giving and receiving frenzy better than I do, and maybe can come up with a plan that keeps the giving meaningful.

There are plenty of organizations that do good in the community that receive most of their gifts this time of year. Find one that helps in areas meaningful to you, and do your holiday shopping by writing a check - or ACH or Venmo or Citibank. Actually, I donate stock or write physical checks to charities to avoid them having to pay the credit card fees.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:59 am

+1 on Salvation Army

Also local missions

Also Operation Christmas Child shoe box gifts for needy children in underdeveloped countries.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:50 pm

Several posts related to religious charities have been deleted. Thread will be locked if it goes off topic again. Moderator

In order to avoid the inevitable frictions that arise from these topics, political or religious posts and comments are prohibited.

student

Post by student » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:56 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:33 am
I donate to Salvation Army. With its CEO making less than $15k a year plus housing, he's not in it for the money.
Is this really true? [religious link removed by admin LadyGeek] https://probonoaustralia.com.au/news/20 ... an-legend/ https://www.truthorfiction.com/salvation-army-salary/

Misenplace

Post by Misenplace » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:04 pm

This thread is now locked.

Moderator Misenplace