Good DNS to use?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bertilak

Good DNS to use?

Post by bertilak » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:43 pm

I know I can Google it and find several alternate DNS servers,

I found a post here on BH recommending 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1. Of course there are Google's servers, OpenDNS, and other popular DNS servers.

BUT -- I wonder if any tech-savvy BHer has any advice or should I go with any of the popular ones that show up with a Google search?

Why do I care? I suspect my CenturyLink servers are slow. Many websites (including bogleheads.org) seem to take a long time to come up. Internet speed tests all show I am getting the speed I am paying for so that is not a issue -- just the initial connection seems to be slow.

Is there a good test I can run to evaluate DNS server speed? I found a few but perhaps someone can save me the trouble of comparing a bunch and trying to decipher the results.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

tibbitts

Re: Good DNS to use?

Post by tibbitts » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:07 pm

bertilak wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:43 pm
I know I can Google it and find several alternate DNS servers,

I found a post here on BH recommending 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1. Of course there are Google's servers, OpenDNS, and other popular DNS servers.

BUT -- I wonder if any tech-savvy BHer has any advice or should I go with any of the popular ones that show up with a Google search?

Why do I care? I suspect my CenturyLink servers are slow. Many websites (including bogleheads.org) seem to take a long time to come up. Internet speed tests all show I am getting the speed I am paying for so that is not a issue -- just the initial connection seems to be slow.

Is there a good test I can run to evaluate DNS server speed? I found a few but perhaps someone can save me the trouble of comparing a bunch and trying to decipher the results.
Don't know if they're authoritative, but these guys like centurylink:

https://www.techjunkie.com/free-dns-servers

BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:25 pm

Here is an article about dns testing.

https://mobile.serverwatch.com/server-t ... peeds.html

I’ve used the GRC one.
People say nothing is impossible. I do nothing all day.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:36 pm

It seems like only a tiny percentage of slow website response times are due to DNS. Unless you mean seriously slow - like it's timing out on the first server it's trying.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:36 pm

My former ISP (a now gobbled up cable company) used to have this issue. They were nice enough but pretty clueless. When I called to complain they wanted to send me through the script gauntlet. I think I used Google's servers as a solution, but I don't really remember. Whatever it was, it was MUCH faster. Just try something.

Topic Author
bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:07 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:07 pm
Don't know if they're authoritative, but these guys like centurylink:

https://www.techjunkie.com/free-dns-servers
BuddyJet wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:25 pm
Here is an article about dns testing.

https://mobile.serverwatch.com/server-t ... peeds.html

I’ve used the GRC one.
I just ran that and it says "System nameserver is faster than ALL public alternatives."

It is what CenturyLink provides to my router.

The program complains strongly that I have only one DNS server configured but it doesn't seem to understand that the router acting as my DNS has both a primary and secondary so I get that benefit on all systems in my house even though the single DNS they know about is the router itself.

CenturyLink is providing these two servers:
which are NOT the CentuyLink servers listed in the link provided by tibbitts.

But it seems like I should leave things as is for now!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:23 pm

bertilak wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:07 pm
CenturyLink is providing these two servers:
which are NOT the CentuyLink servers listed in the link provided by tibbitts.
ISPs can have many different DNS servers. Verizon for example seems to have different ones for some geographical areas/service regions. It's not unusual for public lists of ISP DNS servers to be incomplete.

Quercus Palustris

Post by Quercus Palustris » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:27 pm

I like and use Quad9: https://www.quad9.net/

Free and sponsored by a few industry companies (IBM, packet clearinghouse). It blocks known threat domain names so I guess if some thing on my network gets compromised, maybe it won't be able to phone home to its control servers (I set my router to hand out and use the Quad9 DNS servers to DHCP clients).

It also supports DNS over HTTPS (here) tho that gives me occasional problems on Android when I'm on public WiFi (humbug)

mpsz

Post by mpsz » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:56 pm

Quercus Palustris wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:27 pm
I like and use Quad9: https://www.quad9.net/

Free and sponsored by a few industry companies (IBM, packet clearinghouse). It blocks known threat domain names so I guess if some thing on my network gets compromised, maybe it won't be able to phone home to its control servers (I set my router to hand out and use the Quad9 DNS servers to DHCP clients).

It also supports DNS over HTTPS (here) tho that gives me occasional problems on Android when I'm on public WiFi (humbug)
+1 for Quad9, use it at home and we use it at work as well.

kerplunk

Post by kerplunk » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:56 pm

1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 are excellent. These are what I use. I’m an IT senior network engineer.

tranquility

Post by tranquility » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:10 pm

If you are not sure if the slowness of loading web-pages on your machine is due to the the DNS server being used, try loading a web-page like www.google.com using its direct IP-address in your browser e.g. http://172.217.11.228. If using that method the web-page does not load fast then there is some other problem.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:21 pm

tranquility wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:10 pm
If you are not sure if the slowness of loading web-pages on your machine is due to the the DNS server being used, try loading a web-page like www.google.com using its direct IP-address in your browser e.g. http://172.217.11.228. If using that method the web-page does not load fast then there is some other problem.
That is a good idea, although some web pages are name-based, and don't respond as expected to IP addresses.

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:59 pm

bertilak wrote:
Is there a good test I can run to evaluate DNS server speed?
There is a good test you can run.

"Gibson Research's DNSBenchmark": https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

cbeck

Post by cbeck » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:13 am

Or you can, perhaps with a little help from a techie friend, run your own local DNS server that will block not only known malicious sites, but also most advertising, including banner ads, on all the devices connected to your lan. Can run on a cheap raspberry pi or other linux server.

pi-hole.net

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:55 am

BolderBoy wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:59 pm
bertilak wrote:
Is there a good test I can run to evaluate DNS server speed?
There is a good test you can run.

"Gibson Research's DNSBenchmark": https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm
Gibson Research is a great company.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

Topic Author
bertilak

Post by bertilak » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:53 am

Thanks all!

One slight mystery cleared up: My router always has the fastest DNS tomes (per GRC) because it is cached locally.

Sometimes 1.1.1.1 (or other recommended DNS) is a bit faster for uncached times but the CenturyLink DNS is always way up near the top. I plan on leaving things as is for now -- that is, accepting the DNS supplied automatically by CenturyLink.