Amazon credit if current price is lower and still eligible for return?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Tamales

Amazon credit if current price is lower and still eligible for return?

Post by Tamales » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:59 pm

I bought something on Amazon that is still eligible for return but the current price is $40 lower. If I contact them, do they have a common practice of crediting the difference? If so, is there a special department to contact?

RickBoglehead

Re: Amazon credit if current price is lower and still eligible for return?

Post by RickBoglehead » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:02 pm

No. Amazon stopped matching prices long ago.

I bought something last month and the price dropped 20% while it was enroute. They gave me a credit.

You can try, but it is iffy.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:17 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:02 pm
Correct. No more price matching.

Could always try to chat, but if you believe the conspiracy theory folks, do this too often and Amazon bans you.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:22 pm

Tamales wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:59 pm
I bought something on Amazon that is still eligible for return but the current price is $40 lower. If I contact them, do they have a common practice of crediting the difference? If so, is there a special department to contact?
No, there is not.

7eight9

Post by 7eight9 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:42 pm

Just send it back and buy again (take it to Kohl's for a free return). Not sure why Amazon won't match prices but not your problem. Just return it and buy again.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.

Topic Author
Tamales

Post by Tamales » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:51 pm

7eight9 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:42 pm
Just send it back and buy again (take it to Kohl's for a free return). Not sure why Amazon won't match prices but not your problem. Just return it and buy again.
Thanks for the tip about Kohl's. Is it correct that I still need to process the return online first?

Edit to add, there's no option to return it to Kohl's via online Amazon returns. Just UPS, and there's a fee.

Topic Author
Tamales

Post by Tamales » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:15 pm

Apparently not everything can be returned to Kohl's, even if sold by Amazon. I checked a hypothetical return on several other items I've recently bought, and the Kohl's return option was given for some but not all.

7eight9

Post by 7eight9 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:30 pm

Tamales wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:15 pm
Apparently not everything can be returned to Kohl's, even if sold by Amazon. I checked a hypothetical return on several other items I've recently bought, and the Kohl's return option was given for some but not all.
That is a bummer. The last two things I bought (both of which were defective) I was able to return at Kohl's. I've never returned items before and wasn't aware that all items couldn't be returned at Kohl's. Sorry for your experience.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:44 pm

Tamales wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:51 pm
7eight9 wrote:
Thanks for the tip about Kohl's. Is it correct that I still need to process the return online first?

Edit to add, there's no option to return it to Kohl's via online Amazon returns. Just UPS, and there's a fee.
Are you sure there is a fee at UPS? I was able to return an item to Amazon by dropping it off (totally unwrapped) along with a return authorization form I had printed out at UPS retail store. No fee charged whatsoever and super fast and easy. As soon as UPS person in the store scanned the bar code on the item I returned, Amazon credited my account.

There was however no price change involved. I was just dissatisfied with the item.

Topic Author
Tamales

Post by Tamales » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:30 pm

dodecahedron wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:44 pm
Tamales wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:51 pm
7eight9 wrote:

Are you sure there is a fee at UPS? I was able to return an item to Amazon by dropping it off (totally unwrapped) along with a return authorization form I had printed out at UPS retail store. No fee charged whatsoever and super fast and easy. As soon as UPS person in the store scanned the bar code on the item I returned, Amazon credited my account.

There was however no price change involved. I was just dissatisfied with the item.
Ah, you're right...thanks! There's a free UPS option and a $12 UPS option. Not sure why they bother showing the latter.
The email I got from amazon says, "Boxes should be packed and sealed before dropping off at The UPS Store location or packaging charges may apply." so maybe that's a new requirement.

anon_investor

Post by anon_investor » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:46 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:17 pm
RickBoglehead wrote:
Correct. No more price matching.

Could always try to chat, but if you believe the conspiracy theory folks, do this too often and Amazon bans you.
Conspiracy or not, maybe not worth the risk for small price changes, but for 40? Worth the risk! But there are many online reports of people being banned by Amazon.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:50 pm

dodecahedron wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:44 pm

My experience is that for something that's Amazon's fault (or defective item), return shipping is always at Amazon's expense. If you're returning for some other reason, however, then it varies. It seems like if I have a low recent return rate, Amazon will pick up return shipping. However, if I've returned a bunch of stuff recently, then return shipping is at my cost.

NewMoneyMustBeSmart

Post by NewMoneyMustBeSmart » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:41 am

RickBoglehead wrote:

I bought something last month and the price dropped 20% while it was enroute. They gave me a credit.

You can try, but it is iffy.
My experience is they will encourage you to return it at the high price and purchase it at the low price.

Perhaps they have two different sellers, which may not be visible to you through their interface.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:46 am

NewMoneyMustBeSmart wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:41 am
Perhaps they have two different sellers, which may not be visible to you through their interface.
Not sure where you got this idea but it's clearly listed on Amazon.com who the seller is, whether 1) sold and shipped by Amazon; 2) sold by third party but shipped by Amazon; or 3) sold and shipped by third party.

NewMoneyMustBeSmart

Post by NewMoneyMustBeSmart » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:58 am

02nz wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:46 am
NewMoneyMustBeSmart wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:41 am
Not sure where you got this idea but it's clearly listed on Amazon.com who the seller is, whether 1) sold and shipped by Amazon; 2) sold by third party but shipped by Amazon; or 3) sold and shipped by third party.
It's there if you look for it, agreed. When I shop I generally assume all the products are equal regardless of the fine print, and just shop on price. I doubt most people look, esp with buy it now.

My point was one reason that they might not refund the difference is because seller A sold it at X and seller B will sell it at Y and they don't want to do inter-seller settlement.