AWD Camry

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Starfish

Re: AWD Camry

Post by Starfish » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:33 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:53 am
Starfish wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:19 am
Because of the tires, not only AWD. I have seen many many AWD cars stuck in the parking spot, spinning helplessly all 4 wheels digging themselves deeper in the snow.
A few years ago my brother brought his family (from California) to visit us and ski (in Utah). He figured he was OK because his E63 wagon was AWD. He got stuck 3 separate times in less than a week, twice I had to drive up in my little Hyundai accent with snow tires to help him. The next year they actually moved here and he thought an outback would be a more suitable vehicle. In his first winter he got stuck, and once again I drove up in my fwd accent to help him. A few months later he slid through a stop sign and rear-ended another vehicle. He finally bought his first set of snow tires.
Low power and narrow tires are much better for snow than wide tires and a lot of torque.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:34 am

Starfish wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:33 pm
kjvmartin wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:55 pm
In my local city, they do not plow the neighborhoods. I used to be in those neighborhoods regularly for work. My FWD car couldn’t traverse some of those streets, was prone to getting stuck. Good Michelin tires. Streetside parking was also a chore.

After getting my first AWD CUV, I would not go back to a car or FWD
Are you sure is the AWD and not the ground clearance that comes with a CUV, weight and tires?
I can't give a scientific answer, but I can tell you the AWD definitely kicks in when I'm entering and exiting those side streets throughout the season. You can "drive in the rut" where prior cars have made tire paths, but when it comes time to park, get into driveways, etc, there's really no substitute for the AWD traction.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:42 am

stoptothink wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:53 am
Starfish wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:19 am
Because of the tires, not only AWD. I have seen many many AWD cars stuck in the parking spot, spinning helplessly all 4 wheels digging themselves deeper in the snow.
A few years ago my brother brought his family (from California) to visit us and ski (in Utah). He figured he was OK because his E63 wagon was AWD. He got stuck 3 separate times in less than a week, twice I had to drive up in my little Hyundai accent with snow tires to help him. The next year they actually moved here and he thought an outback would be a more suitable vehicle. In his first winter he got stuck, and once again I drove up in my fwd accent to help him. A few months later he slid through a stop sign and rear-ended another vehicle. He finally bought his first set of snow tires.
LOL.

I use winter tires in an area where it gets terribly cold. Most people don't. I have to keep in mind that I can stop much more quickly than they can. It's a great improvement in winter traction.