Best Venture rewards usage question

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
hoops777

Best Venture rewards usage question

Post by hoops777 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:40 pm

So I recently retired and we have 850,000 venture rewards points.We also have a lot of Marriott and SWA points.
I am use to using points for hotels and SWA flights.Have not paid for either for quite some time.I was planning on using the venture points for international flights,rental cars and other things not covered by Marriott and SWA.Cap one now has a promotion to add 20 pct bonus to points transferred to Air France.I am debating if it is worth the hassle to start fooling around with mileage programs or just get the best deals,pay for them and get reimbursed with the Cap One card.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

MotoTrojan

Re: Best Venture rewards usage question

Post by MotoTrojan » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:44 pm

Were you planning to fly with them anyway? I’d shop a specific deal before transferring the points. Then it’s an easy decision, which one saves more.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:53 pm

As using points for air travel gets more difficult all the time, with fewer award seats available, I just go for the best deal and pay for it, then get the statement credit. Im assured of the flights and dates I want. It just seems easier for me.

Topic Author
hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:58 pm

bob60014 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:53 pm
As using points for air travel gets more difficult all the time, with fewer award seats available, I just go for the best deal and pay for it, then get the statement credit. Im assured of the flights and dates I want. It just seems easier for me.
That’s what I was thinking.It seems too frustrating to deal with the miles.SWA is simple just like booking a hotel,but my past few experiences with air miles were not.On top of that many start throwing on fuel surcharges and the like.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

bkmcd1

Post by bkmcd1 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:16 am

hoops777 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:40 pm
So I recently retired and we have 850,000 venture rewards points.We also have a lot of Marriott and SWA points.
I am use to using points for hotels and SWA flights.Have not paid for either for quite some time.I was planning on using the venture points for international flights,rental cars and other things not covered by Marriott and SWA.Cap one now has a promotion to add 20 pct bonus to points transferred to Air France.I am debating if it is worth the hassle to start fooling around with mileage programs or just get the best deals,pay for them and get reimbursed with the Cap One card.
I believe you can completely cash out your Venture Rewards points by repeatedly "erasing" a single travel transaction.