Basketball hoop that can be moved in and out of garage

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
blackwhisker

Basketball hoop that can be moved in and out of garage

Post by blackwhisker » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:37 pm

I live in a town house and don't have a backyard. I would like to set up a full size basketball hoop for my kid. There is some space outside of my garage. If I get a basketball hoop, we will have to drag it out of the garage every time before we use it and drag it back into the garage after we use it.

Can anyone recommend a basketball hoop for our unique situation? does such a hoop exist? it needs to be relatively easy to move and set up.

Thank you.

runner3081

Re: Basketball hoop that can be moved in and out of garage

Post by runner3081 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:04 pm

Almost all of the portable ones have wheels, I believe.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Spalding-NBA ... j0EALw_wcB

Topic Author
blackwhisker

Post by blackwhisker » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:16 pm

Thank you for the reply. I wonder how easy it is to move and raise the hoop to full height. Will try to find out.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:31 pm

Not easy. And you may need to add weight for stability.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:37 pm

We have several in our neighborhood. The weight is to fill them with water. Most times they sit idle.
To me they make the neighborhood look trashy.

Best is to buy a hoop/backboard and mount it on front of garage.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:35 pm

Shallowpockets wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:37 pm
We have several in our neighborhood. The weight is to fill them with water. Most times they sit idle.
To me they make the neighborhood look trashy.

Best is to buy a hoop/backboard and mount it on front of garage.
Clearly OP cannot do that, hence the request regarding storage.

Once filled with water, wheeling and out of garage would be difficult.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

Topic Author
blackwhisker

Post by blackwhisker » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:44 pm

Thank you for the helpful suggestions everyone! our HOA does not allow mounting hoops outside garage. unfortunately that can't be an option...

MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:59 pm

We went through this when my kids were young. There are hoops with bases that you fill with water. The base has wheels for moving. But you have to empty it to move it. It's a pain, but it can be done.

wageoghe

Post by wageoghe » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:22 pm

Something like this would be awesome, but expensive.

http://www.produnkhoops.com/basketball_ ... able_bear/

It looks like it is intended to be moved and seems sturdy enough to actually use and enjoy.

head gamez

Post by head gamez » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:49 pm

We purchased one from Costco a few years back. You can fill it with water or sand. Ours is filled with water and is easily moveable. At the lowest position, it still may not fit inside a garage unless you lay it down once inside. If filled with water, you may have to drain it to lay it down (not sure). However, filled with sand it should be fine.

Edit to add...

I think that the post and backboard will lay down without tipping the base over. If that is the case, then ceiling clearance shouldn’t be an issue, and as I said, it moves easily full of water.

Topic Author
blackwhisker

Post by blackwhisker » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:51 pm

wageoghe wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:22 pm
Something like this would be awesome, but expensive.

http://www.produnkhoops.com/basketball_ ... able_bear/

It looks like it is intended to be moved and seems sturdy enough to actually use and enjoy.
Thank you wageoghe!! it looks good! and yes it is expensive but it might be worth it!

clockman323

Post by clockman323 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:11 pm

blackwhisker wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:44 pm
Thank you for the helpful suggestions everyone! our HOA does not allow mounting hoops outside garage. unfortunately that can't be an option...
I don't understand this very common restriction to many HOA CCRs. A hoop mounted on the garage looks a lot nicer than the portable ones that litter the sidewalks and extend the playing area into the street.

Erwin007

Post by Erwin007 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:20 pm

blackwhisker wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:37 pm
I live in a town house and don't have a backyard. I would like to set up a full size basketball hoop for my kid. There is some space outside of my garage. If I get a basketball hoop, we will have to drag it out of the garage every time before we use it and drag it back into the garage after we use it.

Can anyone recommend a basketball hoop for our unique situation? does such a hoop exist? it needs to be relatively easy to move and set up.

Thank you.
We have this hoop, and I believe it would fit your requirements:

https://www.lifetime.com/lifetime-90865 ... tball-hoop

It is easy to adjust up and down (kind of a hand driven hydraulic system) so you can lower it to fit in and out of the garage. You will have to weight it with something or it will tip over (ask me how I know). We bought two 40 lb bags of water softener salt from Costco when we bought the hoop there (I think it was closer to $330 when we bought it at Costco) and just put them on the black stand. It’s a bit of a process though because you have to get someone to stand on the back, remove them salt bags, then roll it to where you want to store it, have someone stand on it, and then put the salt bags back on. Alternatively, you could just lay it down when you store it but it would take up quite a bit of space. Also, it is quite heavy and needs at least one adult to roll it around.

Topic Author
blackwhisker

Post by blackwhisker » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:53 pm

Erwin007 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:20 pm
blackwhisker wrote:

Thank you.

It is easy to adjust up and down (kind of a hand driven hydraulic system) so you can lower it to fit in and out of the garage. You will have to weight it with something or it will tip over (ask me how I know). We bought two 40 lb bags of water softener salt from Costco when we bought the hoop there (I think it was closer to $330 when we bought it at Costco) and just put them on the black stand. It’s a bit of a process though because you have to get someone to stand on the back, remove them salt bags, then roll it to where you want to store it, have someone stand on it, and then put the salt bags back on. Alternatively, you could just lay it down when you store it but it would take up quite a bit of space. Also, it is quite heavy and needs at least one adult to roll it around.
Thank you Erwin007! I appreciate the detailed information. This hoop sounds good. It would be perfect if it was a little lighter to roll around.

Erwin007

Post by Erwin007 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:05 pm

blackwhisker wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:53 pm
Erwin007 wrote:
blackwhisker wrote:

Thank you.

Thank you Erwin007! I appreciate the detailed information. This hoop sounds good. It would be perfect if it was a little lighter to roll around.
It looks like on their website they have other options. They appear lighter and less robust than the one I linked, but I only have experience with the one I linked. I have no affiliation with Lifetime, but do like the one product of theirs we have.

Topic Author
blackwhisker

Post by blackwhisker » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:50 am

Erwin007 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:05 pm
blackwhisker wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:53 pm
Erwin007 wrote:
blackwhisker wrote:

Thank you.

It looks like on their website they have other options. They appear lighter and less robust than the one I linked, but I only have experience with the one I linked. I have no affiliation with Lifetime, but do like the one product of theirs we have.
Thank you Erwin007! I will look at the lighter options on their web site.

Trism

Post by Trism » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:49 am

clockman323 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:11 pm
blackwhisker wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:44 pm
I don't understand this very common restriction to many HOA CCRs. A hoop mounted on the garage looks a lot nicer than the portable ones that litter the sidewalks and extend the playing area into the street.
Our HOA prohibits both types. I think they all look trashy, and the CC&Rs agree.

Where we live there is a park nearby with basketball courts. Parks are for recreation; the purpose of a driveway is to provide a way for your car(s) to access your garage.

oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:54 am

Trism wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:49 am

Our HOA prohibits both types. I think they all look trashy, and the CC&Rs agree.

Where we live there is a park nearby with basketball courts. Parks are for recreation; the purpose of a driveway is to provide a way for your car(s) to access your garage.
One of the many reasons I would never want to live anyplace with a HOA.

Trism

Post by Trism » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:05 am

oldfatguy wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:54 am
Trism wrote:

It's the main reason we do. :).

oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:06 pm

Trism wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:05 am
oldfatguy wrote:
Trism wrote:

Your HOA works for both of us. Keeps people like me out of the neighborhood, and we are both happy about it. :sharebeer

Trism

Post by Trism » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:22 pm

oldfatguy wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:06 pm
Trism wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:05 am
oldfatguy wrote:
Trism wrote:

Your HOA works for both of us. Keeps people like me out of the neighborhood, and we are both happy about it. :sharebeer
:wink: