BH docs: Thoughts on using teledoc / e-visit in place of office visits?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
doss

BH docs: Thoughts on using teledoc / e-visit in place of office visits?

Post by doss » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:47 am

My local hospital/doc clinic sent out an email stating that for $20 (max fee) , I can use their new 'e-visit portal' to replace a typical doctor office visit for the following items:

Back pain
Cough
Diarrhea
Headache
Heartburn
Sinus problems
Urinary problems
Vaginal discharge/irritation

Also, the benefit of this is that they are my local clinic/hospital and have easy and instant access to my medical history and lab work.

There is a web form that asks a series of questions about your condition. This written information is securely sent to an Advance Practice Provider, who uses this information, along with your electronic medical record (EMR), and makes a diagnosis and replies to you via the portal within 2 hours or less. Prescriptions and other necessary care can even be ordered.

However, it looks like this is not covered via insurance. My insurance does offer a similar program called "Teledoc" which is $40 and may cover a slightly wider range of conditions. Teledoc is via phone or video.

It really is difficult for me to force myself to go see a doc sometimes. In the past I have delayed going to see a doctor because I was not happy with my current doctor and that prevented me from getting some urgent and time sensitive care. I guess I was too lazy or stubborn. Also, there are days where my wife and I ask whether "we should take our son in to see a doc" when he is not feeling well. I will often say things like "lets just wait and see how it does over the weekend". More than 80% of the time my son gets better. But, there have been several times we have gone to an Urgent Care for one of us and paid hundreds for things that we probably could have had diagnosed via one of these teledoc/evisit encounters. Of course, there are times where we were lucky we did go in to see a doc immediately.

Just looking for advice from the medical community here and whether we should stay away from these services and just find a good doctor and nurse staff we can call. I can't find the stats at the moment, but I also read that 90% of the typical doc/nurse visits can be easily diagnosed via an online portal of these sorts. Looking to also save money...but find that balance of low risk and immediate care.

Thoughts?
Last edited by doss on Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dottie57

Re: BH docs: Thoughts on using teledoc / e-visit in place of office visits?

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:52 am

I would use teledoc if I felt I absolutely knew what was going on. Like a sinus infection. Otherwise no.

prudent

Re: BH docs: Thoughts on using teledoc / e-visit in place of office visits?

Post by prudent » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:56 am

Topic is locked. Medical advice is not a permissible topic by forum policy.
Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes a list of their top recommended sites.