Anyone switch from oil to propane?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
FI4LIFE

Anyone switch from oil to propane?

Post by FI4LIFE » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:49 am

Unfortunately, my oil-fired boiler is reaching the end of it's lifespan. We are looking to replace it and recently got a quote for $7500 to replace it with a new, cast iron Peerless, oil-fired boiler. In asking around, this price is reasonable for the area. Any purchase of that size always gives me pause, and I have been pondering a switch to propane for various reasons. Does anyone have ballpark figures on making this switch? I plan on calling for a price but would like to have some idea going in.

Benefits of propane would be freeing up one of the flues in my chimney for a nice basement wood stove (direct vent is a nice feature), getting rid of my oil tank in the basement, less boiler maintenance required, smaller boiler footprint, more environmentally friendly. Cons would be large propane tank outside, possible cost, and safety issues with propane. Our local propane companies leave a lot to be desired as well as they tend not to be very responsive and are, generally, poorly run businesses.

Flyer24

Re: Anyone switch from oil to propane?

Post by Flyer24 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:54 am

Topic moved to Personal Consumer Issues.

Advaita

Post by Advaita » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:23 am

I have been in a similar position. We moved into a 60 year old house with a boiler that was at least 40 years old. It got us through five winters trouble-free, but was showing it’s age: It was not nearly as efficient as a modern oil boiler and it emitted a strong oil smell.

Shopped around several local business, large and small, and was quoted $10K and up for a propane boiler. I was also told by many that propane fuel would likely cost more, despite higher efficiency than the old one.

In the end I had a Buderus oil boiler installed this summer. Total cost was under $7,000, which included removing the extremely heavy old boiler and piping in the new smaller one; new circulator, pressure tank and burner too.

It’s been running for over a month now and we couldn’t be happier. No diesel smell whatsoever, quieter, smaller and has kept us plenty warm. In another month I’ll know how much more efficient it is, as we have always required a fill by then, despite variable temperatures year to year. Rough estimate is that it uses at least 1/3 less fuel.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:37 am

FI4LIFE wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:49 am
Unfortunately, my oil-fired boiler is reaching the end of it's lifespan. We are looking to replace it and recently got a quote for $7500 to replace it with a new, cast iron Peerless, oil-fired boiler. In asking around, this price is reasonable for the area. Any purchase of that size always gives me pause, and I have been pondering a switch to propane for various reasons. Does anyone have ballpark figures on making this switch? I plan on calling for a price but would like to have some idea going in.

Benefits of propane would be freeing up one of the flues in my chimney for a nice basement wood stove (direct vent is a nice feature), getting rid of my oil tank in the basement, less boiler maintenance required, smaller boiler footprint, more environmentally friendly. Cons would be large propane tank outside, possible cost, and safety issues with propane. Our local propane companies leave a lot to be desired as well as they tend not to be very responsive and are, generally, poorly run businesses.
Consider the long term tank situation. It may be better to own your own tank so you can have companies compete for your business. If you go with the company-owned tank route, you will be locked into one company to fill it at their highest rate. And if you want to change in the future, you may have substantial tank removal fees.

I'm assuming that you are considering propane/liquified petroleum gas because you have no access to natural gas.
In general, propane has a lot of advantages over oil. You can get a propane boiler that is 96+% AFUE (efficient). Best you can do with traditional oil boilers is typically around 80%. You may have to take water heating into account too, depending on how your water is heated today. Solar hot water is a great route to save substantially (up to 100%) on water heating costs for much of the year, but then you need panels, a fluid transfer pump, capable water tank, etc. Or use solar photovoltaic panels that produce electricity.
Last edited by criticalmass on Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:46 am

FI4LIFE wrote:
Cons would be large propane tank outside, possible cost, and safety issues with propane.
No experience with oil but have lived in houses run with propane. The tanks can be buried below ground if aesthetics are an issue. Propane can be bought on contract for future use to help smooth out cost curves. In our rural farming area, we buy in the spring and summer when it is plentiful and cheap and not during fall and winter when it is in high demand and expensive. I'm not sure why it would be any less safe than oil or natural gas.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:54 am

We converted from oil to geothermal, but have propane at the house, so can chime in.

We don’t miss oil AT ALL. There was always a smell of diesel in the house, especially after service. I didn’t like being beholden to the oil company, although it’s the same company that I rely on for propane (only used for hot tub heater and backup generator). The forced air was ultra dry. Since we also used the oil burner to heat domestic hot water, it used to frost my shorts that taking a shower in the summer would cause oil to be burned.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:40 am

FI4LIFE wrote:

Your description of the propane companies makes me think you should just replace like for like.

Make sure you own the propane tank if you do go that route.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:45 am

We went the opposite way. Propane has to follow ridged codes and our propane company changed from 2 smaller bottles to one big one. This was then reported by the electric company when they replaced the meter. We paid for the cost to move the propane tank and pipes around. Eventually, when our water heater needed to be replaced, we jettisoned propane entirely and went oil. Much cheaper! But this will depend on your location.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:52 am

zxllxz

Post by zxllxz » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:42 pm

I replaced my 30 year old Well-Mclean boiler, which had developed cracks in the fire box with a System 2000 boiler. Quieter, more efficient. I also replaced the oil tack with a Roth vertical oil tank (double lined, less floor space). I'm now saving 30% on the quantity of oil used per degree day. This is a triple pass boiler, running at 88% efficiency. My hot water is a separate tank heated by a zone off the boiler. Take a look: https://energykinetics.com/system2000-q ... nt-boiler/

aerofreaky11

Post by aerofreaky11 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:59 pm

If you go with propane make sure you purchase a tank flat out. I just had a 500 gallon tank added to my house and I stopped a delivery for $ 3.50 a gallon. I called the company up and asked them for something more reasonable. I paid a $1.99 a gallon instead from the same company. I'm sharing this with you because if they own the tank they charge what they want. They clearly made an error thinking it was a rental tank and wanted to charge me the "regular rate." If you're going to put in a thousand gallon tank it'll pay for itself in one or two fills.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:04 pm

We still have an old style oil burner - and very old boiler with radiators.

My understanding is that the modern oil fired furnaces and boilers are very efficient - as well as needing less of a chimney.

Who knows, over time, what the prices of propane and oil will be.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:10 pm

FI4LIFE wrote:
I did not know that there is a fixed life of such boilers. Ours is the original boiler from when the house was built - about 80 years ago. Apparently, as was common back then, it was originally a coal fired boiler - converted to oil before being installed in our house. While it is the original boiler, the oil burner has been replaced several times. I might get a second opinion on whether your boiler needs to be replaced. Seems to me that it will take many years to justify the large costs of either a new oil fired boiler or converting to propane with a propane fired boiler.

Is there any possibility of access to natural gas? I might have a different view if this were natural gas - such as also having a gas dryer and a gas stove.

brianH

Post by brianH » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:59 pm

criticalmass wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:37 am
In general, propane has a lot of advantages over oil. You can get a propane boiler that is 96+% AFUE (efficient). Best you can do with traditional oil boilers is typically around 80%.
To be fair, the AFUE of the oil boiler he's mentioning is more like 85-87%. Worth remembering, of course that propane gives you 35% less BTU per gallon than oil does, so if your propane/oil per gallon prices are similar (they are around here), it will cost more in fuel to use propane.

My vote would be if your chimney and oil tank are in good shape, stick with oil. The costs of switching to propane are much higher than just the furnace (tank, gas lines), and it may cost more to run. If you needed chimney work and a new oil tank, that might make it a wash.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:20 pm

brianH wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:59 pm
criticalmass wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:37 am
In general, propane has a lot of advantages over oil. You can get a propane boiler that is 96+% AFUE (efficient). Best you can do with traditional oil boilers is typically around 80%.
To be fair, the AFUE of the oil boiler he's mentioning is more like 85-87%. Worth remembering, of course that propane gives you 35% less BTU per gallon than oil does, so if your propane/oil per gallon prices are similar (they are around here), it will cost more in fuel to use propane.
My vote would be if your chimney and oil tank are in good shape, stick with oil. The costs of switching to propane are much higher than just the furnace (tank, gas lines), and it may cost more to run. If you needed chimney work and a new oil tank, that might make it a wash.
Depending on the age and type of the current boiler, it is possible that some (or many) heating folks may just not understand that "technology" - and just want to sell you a new one. Therefore - perhaps try to find someone who is familiar with such older oil fired boilers.

260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:49 pm

If you go propane; own and bury the tank so you have access to the market. There are many propane suppliers in my area and my neighbors who are locked to one supplier due to the fact that the supplier owns the buried tank pay a LOT more than I do and always will.

Topic Author
FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:00 pm

No access to natural gas or that would be the obvious choice. I am familiar with the idea that I should run this boiler into the ground, which I will. I am looking for costs associated with switching over.

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:20 pm

I have a rented propane tank at a house I own. The water heater stopped working and the range didn't work either. Turned out it was the regulator which the propane company replaced so that was nice. Rental is $60/year though and as others say you are tied to the supplier. A new tank goes for about $1200 here.
There are several sites that compare costs of fuel such as
https://coalpail.com/fuel-comparison-ca ... me-heating
which you can plug local costs into and see what the difference is.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:33 pm

FI4LIFE wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:00 pm
No access to natural gas or that would be the obvious choice. I am familiar with the idea that I should run this boiler into the ground, which I will. I am looking for costs associated with switching over.
How old is your boiler?

Ours is about 80 years old - and maybe could go another 80! [Although our small house on a very expensive lot will almost certainly, at some point, be doubled - or more by some future owner - and that would mean a new heating system of some sort].

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:42 pm

FI4LIFE wrote:

No, I do not recommend that anyone transition from oil to propane.

Topic Author
FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:47 pm

dm200 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:33 pm
FI4LIFE wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:00 pm
How old is your boiler?

Ours is about 80 years old - and maybe could go another 80! [Although our small house on a very expensive lot will almost certainly, at some point, be doubled - or more by some future owner - and that would mean a new heating system of some sort].
Your boiler is likely cast iron and they run forever. Mine is steel and is about 25 years old. Needs a lot of work.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:55 pm

Cheez-It Guy wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:52 am
Hank Hill is my hero, I tell you what! :mrgreen:
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

mortfree

Post by mortfree » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:28 am

dm200 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:33 pm

How old is your boiler?

Expensive lot or expansive lot ( or both)?

keaton

Post by keaton » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:05 am

Why not do mini splits (heat pumps) Or a hybrid system that does heat pump with propane backup forced air. This way you can do heat and AC, for much cheaper!

This is what we are doing in our new house build, no propane or oil for any part of the house with grid tie solar. We will have a wood stove though.

Topic Author
FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:44 am

Trader Joe wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:42 pm
FI4LIFE wrote:

No, I do not recommend that anyone transition from oil to propane.
Why?

Topic Author
FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:48 am

keaton wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:05 am
Why not do mini splits (heat pumps) Or a hybrid system that does heat pump with propane backup forced air. This way you can do heat and AC, for much cheaper!

This is what we are doing in our new house build, no propane or oil for any part of the house with grid tie solar. We will have a wood stove though.
I have a split system in parts of the home as well but prefer hot water baseboard. The heat feels better to me. We run both in the winter.

BeerTooth

Post by BeerTooth » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:51 am

A colleague at work just had a new hybrid heat pump/propane system installed. The heat pump systems have come a long way in cold-weather efficiency. We did the math on the economic breakpoint and with $0.20/kWh electricity and $2.00/gallon propane it is cheaper the run the heat pump down to 10 degrees F, and switch over to propane when it gets colder than that. Even here in New Hampshire, the number of hours per winter below 10 F is fairly few.

jwasilko

Post by jwasilko » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:10 am

Propane is usually the most expensive way to heat.

What are your electric rates? You might find the cheapest solution to be a heat pump, either ground-source or air-source.

We have natural gas, and just installed heat pumps from Mitsubishi to replace our failing AC units. We kept our natural gas boiler as backup.

For us, a heat pump is cheaper to heat than gas down to 15F, so our thermostat switches to natural gas at that point. We had 1 day this week where it dropped to 13F, but beyond that we've heated with heat pumps every other day.

If you post your electric, oil and propane costs, I can do a quick comparison on cost per BTU.

brianH

Post by brianH » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:00 pm

BeerTooth wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:51 am
A colleague at work just had a new hybrid heat pump/propane system installed. The heat pump systems have come a long way in cold-weather efficiency. We did the math on the economic breakpoint and with $0.20/kWh electricity and $2.00/gallon propane it is cheaper the run the heat pump down to 10 degrees F, and switch over to propane when it gets colder than that. Even here in New Hampshire, the number of hours per winter below 10 F is fairly few.
My only issue with the dual-fuel heat pump setup (oil or propane backup) is that there's a lot of hidden costs associated with a hydrocarbon burning furnace. They should be cleaned/serviced every year or two (perhaps a little less for propane), and you need to worry about the storage tank costs of either renting it (propane) or replacing it (oil) every 20 years or so. Also, furnace replacement every 20-25 (and perhaps sooner).

My thinking is that unless you live in an area where electricity is sky high and oil/propane is cheap, it might just be better to get some electric element backup strips for the HP. The benefit to these is that the HP doesn't have to completely cut off to run them, so if the HP is struggling, the strips may just kick on enough to make up the difference. Resistance heat is one of the most costly, but it seems like the total cost of that setup is much lower given how cheap adding the strips are to a HP (usually <$500.)

Of course, this assumes a HP that is sized properly and efficient enough to do pretty well in your area. It also assumes you have the 200A service necessary to add powerful heat strips.

Topic Author
FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:32 pm

jwasilko wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:10 am
Propane is usually the most expensive way to heat.

What are your electric rates? You might find the cheapest solution to be a heat pump, either ground-source or air-source.

We have natural gas, and just installed heat pumps from Mitsubishi to replace our failing AC units. We kept our natural gas boiler as backup.

For us, a heat pump is cheaper to heat than gas down to 15F, so our thermostat switches to natural gas at that point. We had 1 day this week where it dropped to 13F, but beyond that we've heated with heat pumps every other day.

If you post your electric, oil and propane costs, I can do a quick comparison on cost per BTU.
Thanks for the offer

Electric - 19.27¢ per kw
Heating oil - $2.34 per gal
Propane - $2.69 per gal

I currently run my split system all winter but one of the heads is in a poorly insulated room over the garage that we rarely use so we don't normally run it. We close that room up. The other head is in our family room and we keep it one degree above thermostats (oil baseboard) for the rest of the house. It heats the entire first floor fairly well. In hindsight, I would have installed a bigger inverter unit so I could have put another head on the second floor.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:24 pm

jwasilko wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:10 am

I was, truth be told, a bit nervous removing our oil based heater, rather than keeping it as a backup for our ground based heat pump. We haven’t had dreadful weather yet this year, but based on how well it handled 14 degrees, I am now relaxed about it. The only thing it doesn’t do well is abrupt changes in desired temperature.

Geothermal is crazy expensive to install, even with the government absorbing 40% or so of the cost, but it runs really inexpensively, regardless of whether one has solar or not. For me, it’s basically the cost of filters.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.