Forgot to pay Kohl's bill for two months, consequences?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
squirm
Posts: 2551
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:53 am

Forgot to pay Kohl's bill for two months, consequences?

Post by squirm » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:13 pm

I logged into Kohl's and realized I forgot to pay them a couple weeks ago. I called them up and had the last late payment waived and paid the bill in full. We have very good credit. I'm afraid this will ding it. Any thoughts on what I should do?
This happens because they don't have an auto pay and all my other cards pay automatically.

User avatar
Brianmcg321
Posts: 657
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:23 am

Re: Forgot to pay Kohl's bill for two months, consequences?

Post by Brianmcg321 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:15 pm

Cancel the card then.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.

User avatar
Kenkat
Posts: 5968
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Forgot to pay Kohl's bill for two months, consequences?

Post by Kenkat » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:15 pm

I don’t think they typically report it until it’s 60-90 days past due. I did something similar with Kohl’s a couple of years ago and it never showed up anywhere credit report-wise.

mhalley
Posts: 8072
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:02 am

Re: Forgot to pay Kohl's bill for two months, consequences?

Post by mhalley » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:16 pm

How late was the payment? A 30 day late reported to the credit bureaus could result in a 100 pt decrease. A late payment charge doesn’t mean it will be reported.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/finance ... -reported/

I know kohl’s has some good rewards, but I second dumping it.

prd1982
Posts: 273
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:43 pm

Re: Forgot to pay Kohl's bill for two months, consequences?

Post by prd1982 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:28 pm

I had a similar situation a couple of years ago. But a few months later, Kohl's added autopay from a checking account. You need to go to kohls.com and sign on to Kohl's by clicking the Account icon in the upper right, and then you should have an entry for My Kohl's Charge. If not, you will have to link your card to your shopping account. Once you get your CC associated, log on and click the Payments entry. Pick manage autopay.

theplayer11
Posts: 1126
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:55 pm

Re: Forgot to pay Kohl's bill for two months, consequences?

Post by theplayer11 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:30 pm

Kohl's does have auto pay..I use it

RetiredAL
Posts: 598
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:09 am
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: Forgot to pay Kohl's bill for two months, consequences?

Post by RetiredAL » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:14 pm

Although not explicitly stated by the OP that he was using "paperless", it sounds like he was.

My fear of this kind of event is why I'll personally disdain going paperless on bills, especially a store charge where some month may have a payment, and some don't. Too easy to let that email slip by with all the other junky messages. I want that paper bill in front of me to reminding me, nagging me, to make/schedule the payment. I hate the fact that DW wants cards at stores for rewards. I prefer she'd just have one in-use Credit Card to centralize everything.

I also only have 3 auto-pays and they are only on monthly re-occurring same $ amount invoices.

That said, over 40 years, a paper bill or 2 has been misplaced. Stuff happens. It not the end of the world. To minimize that, the names within the bill-pay system I use start with a number, that number is the need to pay buy date, so I have a better chance of realizing something might be amiss.

student
Posts: 4654
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Forgot to pay Kohl's bill for two months, consequences?

Post by student » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:26 pm

Do they send email alert about due date? If so, it maybe good to activate it. It depends on the issuers as to when to report a late payment. You may have nothing to worry about.

Goal33
Posts: 1164
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:30 pm

Re: Forgot to pay Kohl's bill for two months, consequences?

Post by Goal33 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:49 pm

Call back and confirm if they can avoid reporting to credit agencies about the lateness.

Sign up for autopay...

Don’t worry if you don’t have any credit needs...

I have been canceling credit cards for just this reason.
A man with one watch always knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never sure.

mptfan
Posts: 5883
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:58 am

Re: Forgot to pay Kohl's bill for two months, consequences?

Post by mptfan » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:59 pm

RetiredAL wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:14 pm
My fear of this kind of event is why I'll personally disdain going paperless on bills, especially a store charge where some month may have a payment, and some don't. Too easy to let that email slip by with all the other junky messages. I want that paper bill in front of me to reminding me, nagging me, to make/schedule the payment.
I have the opposite view. I prefer going paperless because I do not want to receive a volume of paper mail at my house...too easy for the bills to slip by with all the junk paper mail, especially the junk mail that tries to impersonate important mail. I much prefer getting electronic bills by email, it's easier for me to keep my email inbox relatively free of junk email and I can set up filters to identify important emails, and I can search my emails to find emails from say Kohl's easily and see them all in one place. Also, I can check my email and review my bills from anywhere, I don't have to be at home to wait for the post office to deliver the physical bill.

SrGrumpy
Posts: 1193
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: Forgot to pay Kohl's bill for two months, consequences?

Post by SrGrumpy » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:44 am

Kenkat wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:15 pm
I don’t think they typically report it until it’s 60-90 days past due. I did something similar with Kohl’s a couple of years ago and it never showed up anywhere credit report-wise.
Yeah, don't worry about it.

User avatar
wander
Posts: 2905
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:10 am

Re: Forgot to pay Kohl's bill for two months, consequences?

Post by wander » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:06 am

This happens easily if you choose the electronic statement. I think you should change it to paper statement so it will remind you regularly when arrive at your mail box.

User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 5608
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am
Location: In a house

Re: Forgot to pay Kohl's bill for two months, consequences?

Post by RickBoglehead » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:10 am

wander wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:06 am
This happens easily if you choose the electronic statement. I think you should change it to paper statement so it will remind you regularly when arrive at your mail box.
Simply set alerts to notify you of key things...
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

User avatar
wander
Posts: 2905
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:10 am

Re: Forgot to pay Kohl's bill for two months, consequences?

Post by wander » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:30 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:10 am
wander wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:06 am
This happens easily if you choose the electronic statement. I think you should change it to paper statement so it will remind you regularly when arrive at your mail box.
Simply set alerts to notify you of key things...
Yes, my case is a different. My spouse has Kohl card so the alert goes to her Email but I am handling the bill. Even if she reminds me about the bill, it is easy to forget. :dollar

User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 5608
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am
Location: In a house

Re: Forgot to pay Kohl's bill for two months, consequences?

Post by RickBoglehead » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:34 am

wander wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:30 am
RickBoglehead wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:10 am
wander wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:06 am
This happens easily if you choose the electronic statement. I think you should change it to paper statement so it will remind you regularly when arrive at your mail box.
Simply set alerts to notify you of key things...
Yes, my case is a different. My spouse has Kohl card so the alert goes to her Email but I am handling the bill. Even if she reminds me about the bill, it is easy to forget. :dollar
1) Set your email as a second alert, if they allow that.

2) If not, have your wife set a rule that any email from that card gets also forwarded to you.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

Silk McCue
Posts: 4196
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: Forgot to pay Kohl's bill for two months, consequences?

Post by Silk McCue » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:39 am

As stated by another poster above, Kohl’s does have autopay.

https://cs.kohls.com/app/answers/detai ... ge-autopay

Cheers

Caduceus
Posts: 2610
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:47 am

Re: Forgot to pay Kohl's bill for two months, consequences?

Post by Caduceus » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:52 am

You won't know for sure until you check your credit report. If it's bothering you, why not just pay the $20 or so to get the latest credit report? I think it should have shown up by now if you were late - the agencies update very quickly. Or you can wait until the second week of December and it should definitely be on there by then if there was a ding.

If you catch it early, maybe there are steps you can take to contest the ding if it shows up.

User avatar
wander
Posts: 2905
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:10 am

Re: Forgot to pay Kohl's bill for two months, consequences?

Post by wander » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:21 am

Silk McCue wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:39 am
As stated by another poster above, Kohl’s does have autopay.

https://cs.kohls.com/app/answers/detai ... ge-autopay

Cheers
I would never want any credit card to pull money from my checking account.

Silk McCue
Posts: 4196
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: Forgot to pay Kohl's bill for two months, consequences?

Post by Silk McCue » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:27 am

wander wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:21 am
Silk McCue wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:39 am
As stated by another poster above, Kohl’s does have autopay.

https://cs.kohls.com/app/answers/detai ... ge-autopay

Cheers
I would never want any credit card to pull money from my checking account.
Everyone of my bills are set to autopay from checking account or credit card. I never carry a balance on a credit card unless it is on a zero interest offer. There is nothing to fear by at least setting the credit card to pull the minimum amount due. By doing so, there are no late payments. I have utilized Quicken for about 20 years and know every morning what debits and credits have been applied to my accounts. I have never once had a problem with a pull from the checking account being outside what was expected.

Had the OP had minimum payment due setup for autopay this wouldn't have happened.


Cheers

theplayer11
Posts: 1126
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:55 pm

Re: Forgot to pay Kohl's bill for two months, consequences?

Post by theplayer11 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:28 am

wander wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:21 am
Silk McCue wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:39 am
As stated by another poster above, Kohl’s does have autopay.

https://cs.kohls.com/app/answers/detai ... ge-autopay

Cheers
I would never want any credit card to pull money from my checking account.
what is your reason? I have been doing it for years with many, many cards and never had a problem

junior
Posts: 1014
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:14 pm
Contact:

Re: Forgot to pay Kohl's bill for two months, consequences?

Post by junior » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:40 am

wander wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:21 am
Silk McCue wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:39 am
As stated by another poster above, Kohl’s does have autopay.

https://cs.kohls.com/app/answers/detai ... ge-autopay

Cheers
I would never want any credit card to pull money from my checking account.
I've been using autopay for 10 years without an issue.

mptfan
Posts: 5883
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:58 am

Re: Forgot to pay Kohl's bill for two months, consequences?

Post by mptfan » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:53 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:34 am
1) Set your email as a second alert, if they allow that.

2) If not, have your wife set a rule that any email from that card gets also forwarded to you.
3) Change the email address on your wife's Kohl card account to your email address so that the alert comes to you.

User avatar
wander
Posts: 2905
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:10 am

Re: Forgot to pay Kohl's bill for two months, consequences?

Post by wander » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:13 am

theplayer11 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:28 am
wander wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:21 am
Silk McCue wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:39 am
As stated by another poster above, Kohl’s does have autopay.

https://cs.kohls.com/app/answers/detai ... ge-autopay

Cheers
I would never want any credit card to pull money from my checking account.
what is your reason? I have been doing it for years with many, many cards and never had a problem
If suddenly there are unauthorized charges on your cards (card lost or stolen), you don't have enough money to cover the balance. It takes time to get the money back and you have to deal with bank for negative balance. I rather know it first than let the credit card companies messed up with my checking account.
Last edited by wander on Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
wander
Posts: 2905
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:10 am

Re: Forgot to pay Kohl's bill for two months, consequences?

Post by wander » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:16 am

Silk McCue wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:27 am
wander wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:21 am
Silk McCue wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:39 am
As stated by another poster above, Kohl’s does have autopay.

https://cs.kohls.com/app/answers/detai ... ge-autopay

Cheers
I would never want any credit card to pull money from my checking account.
Everyone of my bills are set to autopay from checking account or credit card. I never carry a balance on a credit card unless it is on a zero interest offer. There is nothing to fear by at least setting the credit card to pull the minimum amount due. By doing so, there are no late payments. I have utilized Quicken for about 20 years and know every morning what debits and credits have been applied to my accounts. I have never once had a problem with a pull from the checking account being outside what was expected.

Had the OP had minimum payment due setup for autopay this wouldn't have happened.


Cheers
That's what I do too (with E-Bill) so I know the list of amount, which account, which day the money will leave my checking account and if the money is available on certain day. This thread is about Kohl which does not have E-Bill. I don't think you have Kohl account.

User avatar
Stinky
Posts: 3533
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 am
Location: Sweet Home Alabama

Re: Forgot to pay Kohl's bill for two months, consequences?

Post by Stinky » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:26 am

RetiredAL wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:14 pm

My fear of this kind of event is why I'll personally disdain going paperless on bills, especially a store charge where some month may have a payment, and some don't. Too easy to let that email slip by with all the other junky messages. I want that paper bill in front of me to reminding me, nagging me, to make/schedule the payment. I hate the fact that DW wants cards at stores for rewards. I prefer she'd just have one in-use Credit Card to centralize everything.
My situation exactly.

It sounds like my DW was a twin separated from your DW at birth.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

Silk McCue
Posts: 4196
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: Forgot to pay Kohl's bill for two months, consequences?

Post by Silk McCue » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:37 am

wander wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:16 am
That's what I do too (with E-Bill) so I know the list of amount, which account, which day the money will leave my checking account and if the money is available on certain day. This thread is about Kohl which does not have E-Bill. I don't think you have Kohl account.
It doesn't matter if I have a Kohls account. My MIL used to have one and I managed her finances in the last years of her life. They do provide for auto pay which is how I joined this conversation. Using that would have avoided this issue for the OP.

Cheers

Broken Man 1999
Posts: 4112
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:31 am
Location: West coast of Florida, inland on high ground!

Re: Forgot to pay Kohl's bill for two months, consequences?

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:49 am

wander wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:13 am
theplayer11 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:28 am
wander wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:21 am
Silk McCue wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:39 am
As stated by another poster above, Kohl’s does have autopay.

https://cs.kohls.com/app/answers/detai ... ge-autopay

Cheers
I would never want any credit card to pull money from my checking account.
what is your reason? I have been doing it for years with many, many cards and never had a problem
If suddenly there are unauthorized charges on your cards (card lost or stolen), you don't have enough money to cover the balance. It takes time to get the money back and you have to deal with bank for negative balance. I rather know it first than let the credit card companies messed up with my checking account.
All my credit cards are on auto-pay, even my HD card which has an 18 month no-interest plan for my new front door. They work like clockwork.

My CCs give me a 25 day grace period to pay the statement amount. I usually know about to the dollar what my statement is going to be, maybe the very last charge I make near the end of the billing cycle might make the statement, might not.

At any rate, every charge I make gives me an email alert. I also receive a email alerts for "Statement Ready", "Payment Date Approaching", and "Payment Received." That might seem like a lot of emails, but I have regular and routine charges, so I can scan and dump emails in a heartbeat, that is because I have set up my financial accounts to only email important information, so my email account receives only, well, important information. All my accounts allow one to receive selected email types. My email account isn't larded up with unimportant emails, thus, I don't have to waste time reading emails that might say "Important" in the title, but are really just spam.

The 25 day grace period allows plenty of time to (1) make sure the statement is correct, and (2) plenty of time to address incorrect charges, whatever is necessary.

There is absolutely no reason to fear problems IF you pay attention to your statements, and take care of business during the grace periods. And, if you pay attention to your statements, then you will absolutely know something is amiss before any withdrawals are made from your payment source.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Miakis
Posts: 395
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:40 pm

Re: Forgot to pay Kohl's bill for two months, consequences?

Post by Miakis » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:51 am

wander wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:13 am
If suddenly there are unauthorized charges on your cards (card lost or stolen), you don't have enough money to cover the balance. It takes time to get the money back and you have to deal with bank for negative balance. I rather know it first than let the credit card companies messed up with my checking account.
The nice thing about credit cards is that the billing cycle means there's no "sudden" withdrawal from the bank (unlike debit card fraud). There's generally 25-30 days after the close of the billing cycle before the payment is due, which means you have more than 25-30 days to discover the fraudulent charges. Simply reviewing your bill each month prevents you from paying for fraudulent charges. These days, fraud prevention on credit cards is so good, fraud is usually alerted same-day.

In addition, you can always choose to auto pay the minimum balance to ensure you never forget a payment, and then go in and pay in full manually.

Not that you have to auto pay, of course. But it's definitely nothing to be afraid of.

I've been autopaying balance in full on my credit cards for 15 years without issue. Most of them have experienced some kind of fraud that never impacted my bank account in any way.

michaeljc70
Posts: 6444
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: Forgot to pay Kohl's bill for two months, consequences?

Post by michaeljc70 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:55 am

wander wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:13 am
theplayer11 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:28 am
wander wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:21 am
Silk McCue wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:39 am
As stated by another poster above, Kohl’s does have autopay.

https://cs.kohls.com/app/answers/detai ... ge-autopay

Cheers
I would never want any credit card to pull money from my checking account.
what is your reason? I have been doing it for years with many, many cards and never had a problem
If suddenly there are unauthorized charges on your cards (card lost or stolen), you don't have enough money to cover the balance. It takes time to get the money back and you have to deal with bank for negative balance. I rather know it first than let the credit card companies messed up with my checking account.
I get a text for every credit card purchase over $20 dollars. I also download that data into Quicken. The chances of fraudulent charges going unnoticed for 25-60 days (first you have to get the statement and then there is a grace period to pay it) and being pulled from my checking account are zero.

jrbdmb
Posts: 462
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:27 pm

Re: Forgot to pay Kohl's bill for two months, consequences?

Post by jrbdmb » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:36 am

RetiredAL wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:14 pm
Although not explicitly stated by the OP that he was using "paperless", it sounds like he was.

My fear of this kind of event is why I'll personally disdain going paperless on bills, especially a store charge where some month may have a payment, and some don't. Too easy to let that email slip by with all the other junky messages. I want that paper bill in front of me to reminding me, nagging me, to make/schedule the payment. I hate the fact that DW wants cards at stores for rewards. I prefer she'd just have one in-use Credit Card to centralize everything.

I also only have 3 auto-pays and they are only on monthly re-occurring same $ amount invoices.

That said, over 40 years, a paper bill or 2 has been misplaced. Stuff happens. It not the end of the world. To minimize that, the names within the bill-pay system I use start with a number, that number is the need to pay buy date, so I have a better chance of realizing something might be amiss.
For this very reason I set up a simple spreadsheet that lists all of my recurring payments, due date, amount paid, and any comments i want to add. A new sheet is used for each month. This makes it almost foolproof, though I'm sure I'll figure out how to forget paying a bill someday. :)

I set up almost all of my recurring bills due in the middle of the month, so I can go in around the 1st, check all the bills for the month, and get them paid in an hour or two, without having to rely on autopay.

michaeljc70
Posts: 6444
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: Forgot to pay Kohl's bill for two months, consequences?

Post by michaeljc70 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:00 am

You will probably be fine. It depends on the timing (were you more than 60 days late?) Just see what happens. Most companies will not change their credit reporting for any reason (unless they made a mistake).

Close accounts you don't need (taking into account any impact to your credit score) and put the rest on auto pay. Then you just have to make sure your checking account has enough money to cover the bill. These days, given what money markets pay, I just leave enough in my checking account to cover my normal bills rather than shifting money all the time.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 23148
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Forgot to pay Kohl's bill for two months, consequences?

Post by dm200 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:10 am

squirm wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:13 pm
I logged into Kohl's and realized I forgot to pay them a couple weeks ago. I called them up and had the last late payment waived and paid the bill in full. We have very good credit. I'm afraid this will ding it. Any thoughts on what I should do?
This happens because they don't have an auto pay and all my other cards pay automatically.
I doubt this will be a serious problem for you. They will accurately report this to credit bureaus - but this is only one account - and every month that now passes with an on-time report will help your credit score.

I might sign up for one (or more) of the free credit score reports - and watch what goes on. I have creditkarma (two scores from two bureaus), credit scorecard (free to all from Discover), credit sesame (free) and the monthly score with my monthly Discover bill.

fru-gal
Posts: 1561
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:48 pm
Location: New England

Re: Forgot to pay Kohl's bill for two months, consequences?

Post by fru-gal » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:07 am

I haven't read all the replies.

I would never set up autopay for anything. I have most bills paperless but I mark on my calendar when a bill is due and after I pay it I move the marking to the next month.

theplayer11
Posts: 1126
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:55 pm

Re: Forgot to pay Kohl's bill for two months, consequences?

Post by theplayer11 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:42 am

fru-gal wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:07 am
I haven't read all the replies.

I would never set up autopay for anything. I have most bills paperless but I mark on my calendar when a bill is due and after I pay it I move the marking to the next month.
what is your reasoning for not wanting auto pay?

User avatar
sunny_socal
Posts: 2215
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: Forgot to pay Kohl's bill for two months, consequences?

Post by sunny_socal » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:15 am

Lesson learned, I had the same thing happen and it hurt my credit badly for a number of years even though it was only a $30 charge. Store sent us two cards with separate account whereas I thought both were linked to 'my' account. Wife spent a few bucks and I never paid it off although I was sending in money every month.

I'll never get a dept store or other 'teaser' card again

BuckyBadger
Posts: 1095
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:28 am

Re: Forgot to pay Kohl's bill for two months, consequences?

Post by BuckyBadger » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:50 am

I'm also a fan of auto paying at least the minimum of not the entire balance. I do the minimum on our major spending card and minimum on the others that we only use a little too keep them active.

There was one card that didn't offer auto pay and i also forgot a payment once. They didn't report until the second missed payment or something? I called them and placed a payment that day and they hadn't reported anything yet. I was getting ready to cancel that card even though it had a long history because i didn't like the risk. I had plenty of reminders on my calendar but still missed one once and it wasn't worth it.

Then they started offering auto pay so i kept it.

I've had no problems with auto pay in all the years and on all the cards I've had it set up for.

fru-gal
Posts: 1561
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:48 pm
Location: New England

Re: Forgot to pay Kohl's bill for two months, consequences?

Post by fru-gal » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:14 am

theplayer11 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:42 am
fru-gal wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:07 am
I haven't read all the replies.

I would never set up autopay for anything. I have most bills paperless but I mark on my calendar when a bill is due and after I pay it I move the marking to the next month.
what is your reasoning for not wanting auto pay?
I don't want to have to monitor my checking account to make sure no entity that is pulling money from it screwed up either by taking out too much or failing to take a payment out or perhaps there is a sharp increase like say utilities in winter and I haven't enough in the checking account to cover it. Plus I track my spending closely and I enter payments in a spreadsheet when I make them.

Post Reply