CNBC Nightly Business Report cease production in Dec 2019

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
kacang

CNBC Nightly Business Report cease production in Dec 2019

Post by kacang » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:26 pm

According to this article, CNBC is stopping NBR production, last episode will be Dec 27
https://current.org/2019/11/cnbc-ends- ... -year-run/

Haven't seen this announced elsewhere, is this real? I'm going to miss my evening amusement :(

nedsaid

Re: CNBC Nightly Business Report cease production in Dec 2019

Post by nedsaid » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:13 am

This is a very sad development, I have watched this program for many years. I will miss this program, I still miss Wall $treet Week with Louis Rukeyser. I have fond memories of many years of the late Paul Kangas. I will wish Nighty Business Report the best of good buys.
A fool and his money are good for business.

DartThrower

Post by DartThrower » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:19 pm

nedsaid wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:13 am
This is a very sad development, I have watched this program for many years. I will miss this program, I still miss Wall $treet Week with Louis Rukeyser. I have fond memories of many years of the late Paul Kangas. I will wish Nighty Business Report the best of good buys.
Susie Gharib was great too. A real class act and someone I felt I could trust. I stopped watching when CNBC took over because it became just a rehash of what CNBC produced that day. I wasn't a Boglehead back in the 90s but watching a show like NBR kept me engaged in investing and thinking about the issues. This eventually led to Vanguard and Bogle's principles of investing.
Our patience will achieve more than our force. -Edmund Burke

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:22 pm

I'll miss it. I find it to be a way to see the world through a lense that's not so politically charged.
Have a plan, stay the course, and simplify, and while you're at it, Ignore the Noise!

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:57 pm

DartThrower wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:19 pm
nedsaid wrote:
Susie Gharib was great too. A real class act and someone I felt I could trust. I stopped watching when CNBC took over because it became just a rehash of what CNBC produced that day. I wasn't a Boglehead back in the 90s but watching a show like NBR kept me engaged in investing and thinking about the issues. This eventually led to Vanguard and Bogle's principles of investing.
Yeah, Paul was great. But Susie kept me watching. It was a funny old show in hindsight, but I liked the sameness of each newscast.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:11 pm

I liked Paul and Robt. Drach when he was the market monitor on Friday nights, funny guy. I seldom missed it back then. I remember hearing Paul on a market update on the radio back in the late 70s before I ever saw him on TV.
When you haven't got the coin you're always in the way — Geo. M. Cohan

ColoradoRick

Post by ColoradoRick » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:43 pm

It was announced on the show itself (Monday or Tuesday?) saying CNBC was ceasing production and it would not be available in the New Year. I also noticed much was a rehash of CNBC reports but I liked it because I didn't need to watch CNBC so much. It was concise and had most of the info I wanted. It will be missed. I also miss Wall Street Week with Louis and You Tube an episode or two once or twice a year just for nostalgia.

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:47 pm

Op thanks for this unfortunate turn of events, will miss this program.

There is this program, by American Public Media https://www.marketplace.org/
Last edited by retire2022 on Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:47 pm

Large void left being.

New year perhaps filled?

Someone in pbs world should step to the plate
Pale Blue Dot

BeachPerson

Post by BeachPerson » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:59 pm

Bummer! I have been watching the NBR for 19 years now.
From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"

BeachPerson

Post by BeachPerson » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:44 pm

ColoradoRick wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:43 pm
It was announced on the show itself (Monday or Tuesday?) saying CNBC was ceasing production and it would not be available in the New Year. I also noticed much was a rehash of CNBC reports but I liked it because I didn't need to watch CNBC so much. It was concise and had most of the info I wanted. It will be missed. I also miss Wall Street Week with Louis and You Tube an episode or two once or twice a year just for nostalgia.

Yes - All business and no commercials. Straight and to the point.

Diana Olick's housing report is always my favorite
From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:17 pm

nedsaid wrote:
I still miss the elves. It was a Friday night ritual to watch Rukeyser as my dad insisted on watching it.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:27 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:17 pm
nedsaid wrote:
I still miss the elves. It was a Friday night ritual to watch Rukeyser as my dad insisted on watching it.
Yes, another Friday night ritual was Louis Rukeyser's sarcasm towards the elves' failed predictions particularly towards Robert Nurock. Also remember when he fired Gail Dudack. It was fun watching the technical analysts getting the raspberries. Eventually, he fired the whole panel.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:58 pm

nedsaid wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:27 pm
Dottie57 wrote:
nedsaid wrote:
Yes, another Friday night ritual was Louis Rukeyser's sarcasm towards the elves' failed predictions particularly towards Robert Nurock. Also remember when he fired Gail Dudack. It was fun watching the technical analysts getting the raspberries. Eventually, he fired the whole panel.
I liked the times he had John Templeton on the best — what a character he was!
Panelist Martin Zweig was another of my favorites. I also especially liked the New Year’s shows when everyone wore tuxes and they popped champagne at the end. They went over the best and worst calls of the year. Always fun.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:27 pm

Nicolas wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:58 pm
nedsaid wrote:
Dottie57 wrote:
nedsaid wrote:
Panelist Martin Zweig was another of my favorites. I also especially liked the New Year’s shows when everyone wore tuxes and they popped champagne at the end. They went over the best and worst calls of the year. Always fun.
Our own Jack Bogle was a guest several times and was inducted into the Wall $treet Week Hall of Fame.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:03 am

nedsaid wrote:
Dottie57 wrote:
nedsaid wrote:
I don’t remember the personalities. I enjoyed the twinkle in Rukeyser’s eye and sarcasm. But I was a teen when I watched and a lot went over my head. Lots of friday nights were spent otherwise too. But I enjoyed the family gathering.

jerryk68

Post by jerryk68 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:51 am

I will miss NBR. It's on Youtube posted around 7:35PM eastern. Bill Griffeth and Sue Herera are excellent hosts.

5th_Dimension

Post by 5th_Dimension » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:57 pm

NBR is an almost nightly ritual at our house. I enjoy getting a perspective on what is happening in the market. My wife, who doesn't really follow the market, enjoys watching Bill Griffeth and Sue Herera. She worked with both in a previous life and for her it is like hanging with two old friends :happy .
Sometimes I feel like I'm waltzing in a 4/4 world.

SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:26 pm

That is bad news.
I loved the older format with Kangas and Susie -- the more recent format sort of lacks something I can't quite put my finger on.

Seems like all the things I really liked growing up are going away.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:34 pm

SuperGrafx wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:26 pm
That is bad news.
I loved the older format with Kangas and Susie -- the more recent format sort of lacks something I can't quite put my finger on.

Seems like all the things I really liked growing up are going away.
Yep. My childhood and early adulthood are fading away right before my eyes. Nightly Business Report is an important piece of that. I am pretty sad over this. I liked the old version with Paul Kangas but also felt that CNBC did a surprisingly good job with the program considering they are the network with the screaming maniacs. I hope, probably in vain, that someone will pick this show up and keep it in production.

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:12 pm

all today all time highs and why NBR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA43GGg-NsM

BeachPerson

Post by BeachPerson » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:43 pm

Bummer to watch the last show today. I will be checking the following link weekly: https://www.cnbc.com/anchors-and-reporters/

I enjoyed the stories by Courtney Reagan, Phil Lebeau and Diana Olick the best. I did not care too much for the guest market monitors.

http://amgtv.tv/shows/businessfirst/ with Angela Miles I tape that now. No where the caliber of NBR, but some of it is OK.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:08 pm

It’s ironic that Paul Kangas's last broadcast for Nightly Business Report was on December 31, 2009, almost exactly ten years ago today. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightly_Business_Report

BlueEars

Post by BlueEars » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:41 pm

I was surprised tonight to hear that NBR is now history. Wow and sad. I only watched it on Friday nights. Just this week (not a Friday) I happened to watch Sue Hererra delivering what I thought was an unusually poor performance for her. Could have been her last and here I didn't even appreciate the stress she was probably under.

Well I never got a great idea that made me $'s watching this. But it was fun in a nerdy way.

Maybe someday a weekly will be revived?

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:47 pm

I just watched the last show. They put a three second clip of Paul Kangas at the very end for his famous signoff: “Wishing all of you the best of good buys”. Very nice. Sad to see it go, I’ve been watching off and on since August 1982 when the great bull market of 1982-2000 had just begun. And I heard Kangas on the radio before that.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:01 am

Nicolas wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:58 pm
nedsaid wrote:
Dottie57 wrote:
nedsaid wrote:
+1
I loved watching Rukeyser and very much looked forward to Templeton's appearances. It's ironic that I haven't seen any of these shows in years but still feel sad that NBR is going off the air.

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:46 am

It's sad to see it go. It was a nice companion if I had a touch of insomnia.

I was always confused with the CNBC tie in, because NBR was so well done in typical PBS style. :-)

Goldfinger

Post by Goldfinger » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:22 am

I've seen maybe 1 or 2 shows ever since Paul Kangas signed off a decade ago. Used to love watching him tear through his quotes with the speed and clarity of an auctioneer. Like another poster mentioned, he made reference to his used car - I believe it was a Caprice classic. "Oh, sure, I could afford more, but it's paid for and all I have to worry about is insuring it and putting gas in it."

Re: Wall Street Week, my favorite guest was always James Grant. A quote (not word for word) I recall: "If one had simply purchased $10,000 of GE stock a year ago, such a person would've yielded the munificent sum of $113.00. With respect to the price of gold, I suppose I should've had a V8."

Rukeyser's puns were always comedy gold, too.

The best substitute left, I suppose, is Bloomberg. 2 shows I watch are Real Yield and ETF IQ (Scarlett Fu and Eric Balchunas), and Eric was recently interviewed by Rick Ferri on his podcast.
"At cocktail parties lovely ladies would corner me and ask my opinion of the market, but alas, when they learned I was a bond man, they would quietly drift away." -- Sidney Homer/Salomon Bros

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:07 am

Well, money is an ever present factor in the survival of any show. And greed and poor management are the other two.

I used to watch WSW and NBR regularly. However, some boneheads decided to get rid of those who made the shows into great sources of information and entertainment.

I guess there are still Nova, Nature, American Experience, PBS NewsHour and Frontline to watch.

frugalecon

Post by frugalecon » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:19 am

ColoradoRick wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:43 pm
On RBDs I like to go back and watch the WSW episodes around the 1987 crash.

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:27 am

ClevrChico wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:46 am
It's sad to see it go. It was a nice companion if I had a touch of insomnia.

I was always confused with the CNBC tie in, because NBR was so well done in typical PBS style. :-)
Sad to see it ending. :|

I always watched it on PBS. I didn't even know about the CNBC relationship.

cfaboy

Post by cfaboy » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:21 am

Super sad. Hope someone picks this up. This was a truly excellent broadcast -- in all its iterations -- that summarized market and economic news in a concise and effective way. Always felt time well spent (event if most of the investing recommendations could be ignored as background noise). The highly substantive reports on economic trends and company specific news were excellent as well. The reporters went out of their way to present the facts as they discerned them without a particular slant (even more important in recent years in our hyper politicized environment).

Thank you NBR staff for a great run.

BlueEars

Post by BlueEars » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:23 am

I think they should go back to a Friday night weekly.

BlueEars

Post by BlueEars » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:15 pm

MidwestMike wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:14 am
Wealthtrack is a very good show.
This is a good idea. It is weekly and Consuela Mac asks good questions during interviews. Thanks.

iamblessed

After almost 30 years I need a replacement. Where is the best place to get business news on the net that you can watch?

Post by iamblessed » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:46 pm

I need a good news to replace the NBR news.
Last edited by iamblessed on Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

livesoft

Re: Where is the best place to get business news on the net that you can watch?

Post by livesoft » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:49 pm

foxnews.com ... no wait ... cnn.com
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:04 pm

iamblessed wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:46 pm
I use Zerohedge.com and I search for SP500 using my search engine brower at the close of each business day.

iamblessed

Post by iamblessed » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:09 pm

I miss NBR. I watched it for almost 30 years.

CABob

Post by CABob » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:30 pm

livesoft wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:49 pm
So which is it? I'm at that crossroad and I need to decide whether to turn right or left! :twisted:
Bob

Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:27 pm

livesoft wrote:
Diversify. Read both and take the average.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:53 pm

iamblessed wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:09 pm
I miss NBR. I watched it for almost 30 years.
I mourn its loss. I’ve been watching since 1982.

jdb

Re: After almost 30 years I need a replacement. Where is the best place to get business news on the net that you can wa

Post by jdb » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:01 pm

That’s like asking where can get gourmet food at a State Fair. Ain’t going to happen. Sorry. Suggest subscriptions to WSJ and NYT and maybe some weeklies like the Economist. And this site. Good luck.

RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:15 pm

CABob wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:30 pm
livesoft wrote:
So which is it? I'm at that crossroad and I need to decide whether to turn right or left! :twisted:
Non Sequitur: What goes around, comes around

https://chutzpah.typepad.com/.a/6a00e55 ... 2d4970b-pi

AlphaLess

Re: After almost 30 years I need a replacement. Where is the best place to get business news on the net that you can wa

Post by AlphaLess » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:26 pm

bloomberg.com
reuters.com
"A Republic, if you can keep it". Benjamin Franklin. 1787. | Party affiliation: Vanguard. Religion: low-cost investing.

Olemiss540

Post by Olemiss540 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:55 pm

What's "the news"? Arent they a band from the early 80's?

Read a book instead?
I hold index funds because I do not overestimate my ability to pick stocks OR stock pickers.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:37 pm

Triple digit golfer wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:27 pm
livesoft wrote:
Diversify. Read both and take the average.
That's seriously what I do. There's just nothing in between it seems like.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Business News?

Post by Taylor Larimore » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:44 pm

iamblessed wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:46 pm
iamblessed:

May I ask why you want to watch business news on the internet? Is it simply because it is interesting; because it helps you with investments (which is probably a mistake) or some other reason?

Thank you and best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: “The daily machinations of the stock market are like a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing -- Don’t let all the noise drown out your common sense and your wisdom. Just try not to pay that much attention, because it will have no effect whatsoever, categorically, on your lifetime investment returns.”
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle