Cricut Maker Machine questions

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
micooch

Cricut Maker Machine questions

Post by micooch » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:04 pm

Hello again! Well, I really messed up my first post! I want to try again...
Has anyone had any experience with a Cricut Maker? I'm studying graphic design and want
to possibly do some freelance business using this machine. So I'm interested in
purchasing one, and I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about it and more specifically,
do you need to purchase a lot of "extras" like tools and accessories to really get the most of it?

Silk McCue

Re: Cricut Maker Machine questions

Post by Silk McCue » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:24 pm

I would think your best bet to learn would do a web search for ”Cricut machine retailer” and go visit a craft store that sells them and talk to the staff And maybe even find someplace that has a class. Just a web search for “Cricut” will bring up results for pages that discuss them.

Someone here at Bogleheads may have knowledge but most folks come here because it is a financial forum.

Cheers

forgeblast

Post by forgeblast » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:45 am

My mom had one for scrapbooking. It was a very cool machine. I sold it on facebook marketplace as I had no use for it once she was done with it. You can normally find a bunch on there for cheap. There are cartridges that change the font etc....but that is all I know about it.

djpeteski

Post by djpeteski » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:19 am

I would not look to this as a major money maker, if you need cash you are probably better off delivering pizzas.

However, you can do this as a side "business" to basically bootstrap some tools in your life. One of my wife's friends works as a Nurse, but produces products for people in some spare time. The income basically pays for the gear that she needs and there is a lot of labor involved. One needs to enjoy doing that sort of thing.

There is some demand for custom produced items, but they require a lot of labor to produce.

scout1

Post by scout1 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:55 am

My wife loves hers and has found so many uses for it. She made custom shirts, custom water bottles, dogtags, and many other things. I’ve been impressed with how versatile it has been. We’ve gotten most of the supplies off craigslist and I recommend getting things used to figure out what you need. Then you can upgrade once you know what features and accessories you are using the most.

As the above poster mentioned, i dont know if there is enough throughput to make things in bulk which limits it as a great side hussle.

mystupidglasses

Post by mystupidglasses » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:05 pm

Here's what my girlfriend has to say:

"I would not buy a Cricut Maker as a way to make money, especially when you're a student. It's a lot of work and won't bring in a lot of money to cover the costs of materials, since Cricut materials (like iron on and vinyl) are actually pretty expensive unless Michaels is doing a great sale. BUT i would love to go back in time and have a Cricut Explore Air 2 when I was back in school to help me make project mockups. That would be worth the $200 to me to save some time and sanity. I would only get the Maker if you're good at sewing or leather projects. It's really easy as a designer to save artwork from illustrator and use in the Cricut design space."

Hope that helps.

p14175

Post by p14175 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:10 pm

I have a Silhouette paper cutter. I don't know how it compares to a Cricut, but it doesn't require special paper or materials. I have cut light sheet metal and plastics along with different types of paper with mine. I have also used CAD programs like SolidWorks and AutoCAD to create 3D designs though the process is a little convoluted. Regardless, both machines are fairly light duty. If you want a really good cutter, look at lasers.

Arbol

Post by Arbol » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:34 pm

My wife has a Cricut machine. She also participates in several FaceBook Buy/Sell/Trade groups. She sees lots of people making things with Cricut and selling them. She said it's a hobby. She doesn't think that you would be able to make $15/hour of work. Sorry.

canderson

Post by canderson » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:12 pm

My wife is very crafty, mages around $8,000 a year on Esty, and dues work with Cricut.

She says you wit mage much off it alone. Her bulk revenue comes from painting custom frames, letters, and making ornaments.