Blankets/Bedding for Cold Winter Nights

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
michaeljc70

Re: Blankets/Bedding for Cold Winter Nights

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:04 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:43 pm
After 20 years using an electric blanket, about 10 years ago I switched to a heated mattress pad. I much prefer having the heat radiating up from below, and it is probably more efficient to boot.
I completely agree. I use a heated mattress pad (dual control for each side) with a down comforter. The down seems to keep you warm but is still breathable. I used to keep it at 62 degrees at night (in the winter) but have moved it to 65 at night since I sometimes have to get up in the middle of the night now :shock: . The heat goes up at 6 am automatically.

LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:10 pm

Thermostat set at 68 degrees - but the bedroom holds between 60 and 64 when the outside temp is in the 20's. When it's colder my bedroom is even colder. Old houses - gotta love 'em.

I use a wool mattress pad under high end flannel sheets (The Company Store, LL Bean for example). For awhile there I felt like my new mattress was "sucking the heat" off of me at night. I was soooo cold. I put the wool mattress pad on top of a regular pad - and it felt better. I use a Cotton Velour blanket and an old fashion polyester type blanket under a synthetic filled down comforter (Company Store). If it's really cold I have found one of those fluffy extra large throw blanket from sams/costco/aldi is awesome between the sheets. It reflects back body heat.

I also have an electric blanket (sometimes I'm tired not sleeping well and cant seem to get warm no matter how many blankets or what i'm wearing to bed).

MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:18 pm

My husband was a heat generator so didn't need much in the way of blankets, so we used a flannel sheet as a blanket in the wintertime for the whole bed, then I added whatever throws or afghans I needed on my side to keep warm. I suppose I could buy just one perfect blanket now that I have the bed to myself, but I have so many throws of various weights that I just layer on whatever I need for that night's temperature.

By the way, my husband loved the idea of throws, but, being a broad-shouldered 6'3", most throws would be inadequate if he wanted to cover up for a quick nap in the afternoon. We solved that by buying him a light weight pretty purple twin size blanket from Target. That was his size throw!
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:39 pm

To answer the question of most efficient, I suspect that it is a sleeping bag. When I have been without electricity and heat, I have pulled out the LL Bean bag. I have known a couple of people who use a sleeping bag on a daily basis.

Micro fleece Cuddl Duds are so warm, I need no blanket with them.

chw

Post by chw » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:00 pm

We use a dual control electric mattress pad. We turn on about 20 mins before bed time (and shut off when in bed). Heats up the bed perfectly, and the dual control allows each bed dweller to set the heat to their liking. We set the bedroom temp to about 64 degrees, and just have a high quality cotton sheet set, thin blanket, and summer weight comforter that we use all winter. Using the heated mattress pad warms the bed up nicely for the rest of the evening.

brandy

Post by brandy » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:34 pm

GJ48 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:54 pm
My suggestion won't win any fashion awards but it's very effective. A large amount of body heat escapes through the head. Before you spend a lot of money on blankets try wearing a microfiber knit hat one night. I think you'll be surprised at how warm you'll feel.
I sort of second this. No hat, I drape a t-shirt loosely over my head when it's cold. I sleep on a terry cloth fabric between flannel sheets. Wool blankets on top. I seem to like some weight, too. My feet are often cold, so I have a folded blanket on the bottom of the bed for my tootsies! They love the extra weight and warmth.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:47 am

CaptainSaver wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:05 pm

Anyone sleep in sleeping bags? Heavy winter clothing? Any guess of what the absolute most financially efficient way of staying warm while sleeping would be?
A cheap (20$) synthetic rectangular sleeping bag beats everything. I used to sleep in one as a kid. I loved it. The temperature in the house was dropping to 60-65F (communism).