Blankets/Bedding for Cold Winter Nights

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
CaptainSaver

Blankets/Bedding for Cold Winter Nights

Post by CaptainSaver »

Wondering what people have found to be the most comfortable and efficient bedding for keeping warm when it is cold out.

While visiting friends and family I have encountered various blanket types and been surprised by how effective some were. For example I once visited a family member in the mid-west and was surprised to find quite thin blankets being used in the middle of winter. It turned out they were wool on top of a sheet and kept the beds occupant extremely warm (the house was also kept comfortable due to great insulation).

I looked up the cost of a wool blanket and was quite shocked, most were over $200. Finer wool quality and a bigger blanket size would result in much higher price. Of course if the blanket lasts many years during which it keeps one from using the heater as much it may very well be a good investment.

We have been using a sheet, comforter, fleece combination and it works decently well but I feel like there is room for improvement, which is what prompted me to mine the brain trust on this forum for opinions.

Anyone sleep in sleeping bags? Heavy winter clothing? Any guess of what the absolute most financially efficient way of staying warm while sleeping would be?

I realize that a well insulated dwelling would significantly reduce the need for balancing bedding vs heating. In the case of a perfectly insulated building, which bedding do you find most comfortable?

Stay warm this winter :beer
Mr. Rumples

Re: Blankets/Bedding for Cold Winter Nights

Post by Mr. Rumples »

I like a cold bedroom but a warm bed. What has worked well for decades is using an electric blanket between the top sheet and a comforter, turned on about two hours before bedtime to warm it. Then it can be turned off. Its also great to nap on when its turned on. Wool blankets are nice but not only expensive to buy but expensive to clean.
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

We use flannel sheets and a (very) heavy Korean mink blanket (King-sized) that I found on Amazon for ~ $100.

I can get up to go to the bathroom, and crawl back into a warm cocoon. Love it!
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

CaptainSaver wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:05 pm Any guess of what the absolute most financially efficient way of staying warm while sleeping would be?
Comforter filled with down that you harvested yourself from migrating geese that you captured at the local park?
sksavers3

Post by sksavers3 »

High quality 100% cotton flannel sheets - mine are from LLBean, I think 6 oz Portuguese flannel.

Wool blanket - mine from Pendleton

Down comforter (mid weight for year round use - I have a winter weight one that gets to be too much)
nimo956

Post by nimo956 »

Get a Pendleton wool blanket
Last edited by nimo956 on Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
50% VTI / 50% VXUS
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

A down comforter, in a "box" design.
That means that the "squares" that are the quilted design have internal fabric between the top and bottom, so each section is indeed a sort of flat cube. That way, no heat escapes through the seams.

We couldn't believe the difference when we got a really good quilt like that.
Also, you might want to put something over the top of the comforter, a flannel blanket or even a sheet... just another layer to keep any warmth from escaping further. (We do not feel the need for this.)

The type of sheet fabric might also make a difference. Some sheets feel "cooler" than others.
Sateen sheets wrinkle more (due to weave type), but tend not to feel as cool as percale-type. That's especially a factor when you first get into bed. But sateen will also probably drape over your body more closely.

There are also the "weighted" blankets (with weights distributed throughout). I have no idea if they help with actual warming, but I'd guess that the weight might have an effect on perceived insulation (??).

One thing with a good down comforter is that it will not be heavy, and that might give the opposite perception, sort of "how could anything this light really keep me warm?".
But a really fluffy (good down and lots of it) really works - but it won't be inexpensive.
And this isn't far off from your "sleeping bag" idea, but with a lot more room/flexibility.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

CaptainSaver wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:05 pm Anyone sleep in sleeping bags?
No. I prefer to sleep indoors - particularly in the winter.
Heavy winter clothing?
Only outside.
Any guess of what the absolute most financially efficient way of staying warm while sleeping would be?
A warm spouse.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
armeliusc

Post by armeliusc »

We found that comforters from Ikea, the "warmest" one, work really well. They are about $100 or so I think. Our thermostat is set to 63 degree at night and we are comfortable under the blanket.
fposte

Post by fposte »

I love nice bedding and will happily spend more on that than on my car, at least most years. I've recently splurged on a goose-down comforter from Feathered Friends, and it is absolutely amazing; it's so light that it takes you a while to realize how warm you are. It was a replacement/upgrade for some older Company Store comforters that had begun to shed down dust throughout the room.
Topic Author
CaptainSaver

Post by CaptainSaver »

Wow, already some very neat ideas. Thanks to everyone for their input.

The idea of using the electric blanket to warm the bed ahead of time is very clever. I also appreciate the recommendations for blanket types and brands.

fposte, since one spends so much time in bed, it makes sense to make it very comfortable and enjoyable (especially when considering the health benefits of getting an adequate amount of sleep). According to this Department of Transportation website (https://www.volpe.dot.gov/news/how-much ... hind-wheel) Americans on average spend about an hour a day in their cars. People are obviously willing to spend a lot for luxury on the road, so why not spend a little (relative) extra for luxury in a place where they spend 8x more time.

And JoeRetire, I guess it depends on the particular spouse on whether or not they are the most financially efficient way of staying warm (not sure if I would qualify, though I do try).
Last edited by CaptainSaver on Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toons

Post by Toons »

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
p14175

Post by p14175 »

I made some personal sized flannel 'blankets' 2.5 yards of 44" wide flannel from Walmart. They are great for layering without adding too much weight.
You can get flannel for about $3.50/yd so $8.75.
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

Upper Midwest here. We let the heat go down to 64 at night.

Flannel sheets and the thinnest synthetic IKEA comforter they sell.

No clothing - she's a furnace. :sharebeer
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Mr. Rumples wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:11 pm I like a cold bedroom but a warm bed. What has worked well for decades is using an electric blanket between the top sheet and a comforter, turned on about two hours before bedtime to warm it. Then it can be turned off. Its also great to nap on when its turned on. Wool blankets are nice but not only expensive to buy but expensive to clean.
this is our method. In addition, it allows two people to have different settings. I just turn it on mid-way about 10-15 minutes ahead and then shut if off or turn way down when I get in.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 »

Toons wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:07 pm Electric Blanket
We use an electric mattress pad, which requires a lot less washing (as it's protected under the sheet) so it lasts longer.
It also loses less heat into the air as it's under all the blankets.

And it's far more resistant to cats' kneading.

Marylander1
nesta

Post by nesta »

Another vote for heated mattress pad. Turn on about an hour before bed and then turn off when going to sleep. And a nice down comforter with the thermostat at 63 keeps us nice and toasty.
FactualFran

Post by FactualFran »

Flannel sheets, an electric heated mattress pad under the sheets, a sleeping bag that is flat when unzipped above the sheets in place of a comforter.
Abe

Post by Abe »

I sleep under a homemade quilt that I bought at a church sale about 30 years ago. If it's extremely cold, I have a flannel blanket that I use over the quilt. The flannel blanket is so old it has holes in it, but it's nice and cuddly. I have a Hudson Bay wool blanket I bought at an auction for 23 bucks, but I can't sleep under it; too hot. Same with an electric blanket or down comforter. I like to layer. If it gets too hot, I can throw something off. :D
Slow and steady wins the race.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

In my winter trips to Europe (Switzerland, Germany, Austria, etc.), their beds tend to have a sheet and a quilt/comforter that I assume is made from down. I'm guessing they aren't cheap. All I know is that we are never cold and my GF has lived all her life in AZ. Sometimes they are too warm and I need to pull it down to cool off.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

I read somewhere to put a baked potato under your blanket 15 mins before bedtime. :confused
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
BeachPerson

Post by BeachPerson »

Shop LLBean - Get on their emails and they will send you 25% discounts during the big holidays.

I have shopped other places, and LLBean I find is the best. Get the comforter and wool blankets from LLBean.

Down blanket

Wool
From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"
fallingeggs

Post by fallingeggs »

fposte wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:49 pm I love nice bedding and will happily spend more on that than on my car, at least most years. I've recently splurged on a goose-down comforter from Feathered Friends, and it is absolutely amazing; it's so light that it takes you a while to realize how warm you are. It was a replacement/upgrade for some older Company Store comforters that had begun to shed down dust throughout the room.
Second for Feathered Friends. A great company with made-in-America products (although maybe the down is Canadian?). In addition to their comforters (which come in several levels of warmth; I had the lightest as I was just in NYC), I also own their down camping bag and down camp booties, both of which are amazing after a long hike. You pay a premium, but the whole package is worth it to me.
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

We just started using a weighted blanket. It's great for warmth, and also has us sleeping more soundly. Go figure.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

We have about the same temperatures all year in our house. AC in summer at 72F, heat in winter at 69F. We also have a queen size down comforter, which is rolled up and on the upper shelf in our bedroom closet, as backup during a power outage in winter, has never happened. We use blankets and sheets to sleep under.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Marylander1 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:28 pm
We use an electric mattress pad, which requires a lot less washing (as it's protected under the sheet) so it lasts longer.
It also loses less heat into the air as it's under all the blankets.

And it's far more resistant to cats' kneading.

Marylander1
My cats have their own heating pad with a thick cover. It has a two hour timer on it and a super low setting. Now that they are both 17 years old, its sort of difficult to get them off of it in the morning.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I love a wool blanket. Keeps me toasty warm. Have wool in blankets, sweaters, socks, winter coat, mittens.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

TallBoy29er wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:29 pm We just started using a weighted blanket. It's great for warmth, and also has us sleeping more soundly. Go figure.
I have also just started sleeping under a weighted blanket. (No idea what that might be like come summer.)
Dark half of the year I use flannel sheets. Simple poly-filled comforter. Currently the comforter is at the foot of the bed as the weighted blanket is doing the trick. If it's a particularly cold night, I put socks on.

I have always liked tucking myself under a puffy comforter, but the weighted blanket is providing a good sleep.
socaldude

Post by socaldude »

( Thin wool blankets are great..) A west coast tip that may sound dumb, I discovered it recently, use two big sheets. They help insulate very well, I don't like it too hot, so I use two regular cotton sheets... blankets, cotton comforter.
kevinf

Post by kevinf »

A rayon (marketed as bamboo sheet) base sheet for comfort (rayon drapes like silk and is soft like cashmere), on top of that is a cotton flannel sheet for warmth, and above that a polyester-filled quilt for weight and warmth. Very cozy.
ram

Post by ram »

Upper midwest. Nite temp set at 60F.
Bottom: 10" tempurpedic mattress. Essentially no heat loss from bottom.
Blanket at the peak of winter: Cotton and camel hair mix hand stitched at 1" (2.5 cm) intervals between 2 cotton sheets. Soft, light and very warm. Made to order during visit to India. Queen size $150. Cotton and camel hair ratio can be adjusted to attain desired warmth. The close stitching prevents clumping of the material. Its not cold enough yet to use it.

I also have an Alpaca hair throw that is very nice while watching TV in basement in winter. But it feels somewhat coarse.
Ram
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Three or four medium sized dogs. More flexibility than two large dogs.
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sunbeam-BSM9 ... /183190888

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
This blanket is great. It has two zones with separate controllers. There is no need to turn it on an hour early. Just set it to "preheat" and it gets very warm, then automatically decreases to the desired setting after a while.
Support this site with a purchase thru Amazon: | http://www.amazon.com/s/?search-alias=aps&tag=bogleheads.org-20&field-keywords=Bogleheads
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

100% goose down comforter.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Alpaca blanket. Medium thickness.

We get wild and set the thermostat to 70 at night. Down from 71 during the day.

There is an older thread where people talked about their thermostat preferences. Some amazing variations. People are willing to be in temps I wouldn't live in. Climate and outside temps play a big role in comfort inside.

I followed a blog where the couple kept their home at 55 all winter. To save money. :oops: 2 pairs of socks, thick sweaters, gloves/hats in the house. Comical really. How much do you save by being cold all the time?

Temps are now close to zero at night here. If I set my thermostat to drop to 62 it would take 1-2 hours to get the house back to 71. Not worth it. Our heat bills are low. Highest for natural gas is ~$130 for a month. Cheap.

Use any blanket you want. Don't turn the thermostat down so far. Always an option.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
gailcox

Post by gailcox »

My solution is that I make rice filled flannel "sacks" (12 inch round) then I microwave for 3:33. I throw them into my bed under the sheets while I am brushing my teeth. I am now up to using 4 or 5 a night since it's so cold outside. I love them. I put my feet on one, one on each side of me, one near my dog so she can stay warm and I end up with one on my chest. I keep my house pretty cold so this is perfect for me. Sometimes I add essential oils to the rice (uncooked, of course) so they carry a scent when heated up.
GJ48

Post by GJ48 »

CaptainSaver wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:05 pm Wondering what people have found to be the most comfortable and efficient bedding for keeping warm when it is cold out....
My suggestion won't win any fashion awards but it's very effective. A large amount of body heat escapes through the head. Before you spend a lot of money on blankets try wearing a microfiber knit hat one night. I think you'll be surprised at how warm you'll feel.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

We stay plenty warm using a light weight, high quality 700 fill down blanket used for only the coldest nights - maybe on the bed 3-4 weeks a year. Mostly in the winter months we use a super light wool cashmere blend blanket on top of a cotton sheet and under a 20 year old Peacock Alley Matelasse coverlet. In warmer months (which is 7 months a year where we live) we use a cotton sheet and super light open weave cotton blanket. Because of the heat pump and its tendency to be very slow in recovery we keep the bedroom at 66 at night. When we had gas heat and lived in a colder clime we set bedroom thermostat to 60 in winter.
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

We've gotten by quite nicely with flannel sheets and a comforter/duvet insert like this one for years, no other blankets. Nice being able to change the duvet so you can change the look. We keep our house around 55 at night during the winter, sometimes gets colder during spring and fall months when I leave the windows open and haven't turned the furnace on yet.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00VGR534O/ ... B003VIWCY0
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

US army field blanket from a military surplus store. Not pretty, but does the best job. Rugged.
Limoncello402

Post by Limoncello402 »

The air temp in my bedroom is cool during our long and cold winter nights. I even keep the window cracked open a bit. Flannel sheets make me too sweaty. I use t-shirt sheets year round: warm in winter, cool in summer. On top of that is a good quality wool blanket. On top of that is a super thick down duvet/comforter. On top of that are two purring cats. It is all about layers.
Laker1

Post by Laker1 »

We have a SleepNumber Bed and we bought a set of fleece sheets from the store. A MA ZING. Much better than the flannels we had before! We are in West Michigan and winter is here, yuck.
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

I love me some heavy blankets. Those Korean mink blankets are what I like best.
Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 »

I like a cool bedroom but warm bed. Three options that have worked well for me in the past:

1. Heated mattress pad, set on a timer to warm the bed before bedtime and to turn off after I'm hopefully asleep.

2. Cuddl Duds fleece (not flannel) sheet set from Kohls. I've bought these as gifts and the recipients always love them. Currently on sale (of course...)

3. Weighted blanket.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

CaptainSaver wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:05 pm Wondering what people have found to be the most comfortable and efficient bedding for keeping warm when it is cold out.
Properly operating central heat and well insulated walls/roof.
sport

Post by sport »

It's not just the bedding. Nice flannel pajamas will keep you warmer. Wear socks to keep your feet warm.
westie

Post by westie »

keep it at 62 all night, electric blanket is the way to go.
Buckeye Chuck

Post by Buckeye Chuck »

Electric blanket with a thin blanket on top to retain the heat. Microfiber sheets. Temp at 55. Plenty warm in a cool room. Great sleep.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

After 20 years using an electric blanket, about 10 years ago I switched to a heated mattress pad. I much prefer having the heat radiating up from below, and it is probably more efficient to boot.
Mysmaven

Post by Mysmaven »

This probably sounds a bit odd, but back when we lived somewhere that got cold at night, (and heated exclusively with a small wood stove located a very long way from the bedroom), I slept on top of a sheepskin. On top, not under, with a down comforter on top of me - somehow nestling into the wool preserved a great deal of body heat. Plus a hot water bottle for feet!