Snow tires

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
OldBallCoach

Snow tires

Post by OldBallCoach » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:52 pm

I have always run Bridgestone Blizzacks for snow tires and today when my LC was in for it service they put on Nokian Hakkapelitta 8 SUV snow tires..I asked them about it and they said try em you will like em...ok...so I will give them a shot...anyone else had these tires. We dont get a ton of snow but I like them for those icy roads as well!

dalbright

Re: Snow tires

Post by dalbright » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:02 pm

Do you have them studded? In IL studs are illegal unfortunately so I can't comment on the studs part. We got nokian wrg3's 2-3 years ago for our prius and we love them. My dad just put on the nokian wrg4's and likes them as well. We use them year round to avoid swapping tires. They are winter rated and can keep the prius moving until the snow is too deep for the frame...then its time to switch to the truck. Since they are nokian they are most likely going to be great!

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:04 pm

None of the dealers I buy tires from stock Nokians (they're kind of niche), so I haven't had personal experience. That said, I have never heard anyone say a bad word about them. They're supposed to be among the best you can get, and I am highly confident you will love them.

Sgnoweht

Post by Sgnoweht » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:32 pm

We run the Nokian hakks (non studded) on a Honda pilot. They are a great snow tire! Traction always feels solid. Going on the third winter and they look almost new. We have long winters, they are on for 5-6 months a year.
I have ran blizzaks on a fwd Volvo wagon, they were good. Also used winterforce both studded and not and thought they were as good as the blizzaks.
Does LC= land cruiser? Dedicated snow tires on a land cruiser should be unstoppable ! Some day I'll get spare wheels and dedicated snows for my LC!

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:37 pm

Some of the best snows out there. I'm too cheap to buy them but have in the past on a car. I've run Blizzaks as well. They're good as well.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

MoeMoney

Post by MoeMoney » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:41 pm

I'm on Pirelli Scorpion Winters but hear nothing but positive things about the Hakkapelitta's. I went with the Scorpions b/c of heavy highway mileage in the single-digit temps but overall dry conditions I encounter. Hakkapeliitta's are better than the Scorpions in the wet, snow, ice - IMO.

Topic Author
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:01 pm

Sgnoweht wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:32 pm
We run the Nokian hakks (non studded) on a Honda pilot. They are a great snow tire! Traction always feels solid. Going on the third winter and they look almost new. We have long winters, they are on for 5-6 months a year.
I have ran blizzaks on a fwd Volvo wagon, they were good. Also used winterforce both studded and not and thought they were as good as the blizzaks.
Does LC= land cruiser? Dedicated snow tires on a land cruiser should be unstoppable ! Some day I'll get spare wheels and dedicated snows for my LC!
Yea LC is a Land Cruiser sorry I should have said that...it was at the dealer for my normal 10K service and I have them do everything for me and they brought it back with these tires on it...I asked for snow tires and thats what they put on. They are not studded as thats illegal here I am sure...actually not sure where studded tires are legal anymore? I will keep you posted. My wife is having her 4runner done tomorrow and we will see what they put on that I guess. The dealership gave me a new Highlander to drive as the loaner today and thats a very nice car as well. I only drove it lunch and back as they pick up and drop off at my work. I will see how these tires work out in the blizzard of 2020 coming soon to a midwest city near you!!!

kevinf

Post by kevinf » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:16 pm

Studs aren't doing much for you except on pure sheet ice. Modern rubber formulations generally perform just fine without them.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:22 pm

My last Hakkas actually were studded on an S-10 pickup. I came over the crest of a hill on clear, dry road to come onto an accident. I hit the brakes, the abs kicked in and I slid forever. When I got home, I pulled all the studs out and will never again use them. They're legal during the winter in Mass. Besides ice or really packed snow, studs are dangerous, in my opinion.

hsmith

Re: Snow tiresR

Post by hsmith » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:26 pm

OldBallCoach wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:52 pm
I have always run Bridgestone Blizzacks for snow tires and today when my LC was in for it service they put on Nokian Hakkapelitta 8 SUV snow tires..I asked them about it and they said try em you will like em...ok...so I will give them a shot...anyone else had these tires. We dont get a ton of snow but I like them for those icy roads as well!
I had a set of Hakks years ago and loved them. I would’ve bought them again if they came in the right size for my new SUV. They were great in our deep snow.

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:46 pm

Love my Blizzaks here in CO (we already are on our third snow, last week nearly a foot on the ground). Don't know Nokian tires so can't make a comparison.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

Flobes

Post by Flobes » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:00 pm

OldBallCoach wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:01 pm
They are not studded as thats illegal here I am sure...actually not sure where studded tires are legal anymore?
Only five states have made studded tires illegal: Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Mississippi.

I'm in Colorado, where studded tires are legal without limitations. Ditto New Mexico, Wyoming, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Kentucky.

Some states (Texas, Louisiana, Florida, Alabama) have made metal studs illegal while allowing rubber studs.

In all the other states, metal studs are legal, with varying restrictions about allowable months of the year, stud depth, etc.
kevinf wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:16 pm
Studs aren't doing much for you except on pure sheet ice.
Studded tires also excel on hard-packed snowy roads and muddy roads. But they sure are mighty noisy on dry roads!

onourway

Post by onourway » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:04 pm

Congrats, you got the best.

I’ve been running Nokian’s for decades. Every once in a while I end up with a different brand for some reason and they never seem to compare - especially as the tire wears a bit.

Enjoy!

motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:08 pm

Hakkapeliittas are the gold standard for winter traction. From Finland. It is no coincidence that the Finns dominate world rally car racing. It is the perfect lab for winter tires.

I’ve never put Hakkas on my vehicles. I did spring for Nokian Nordman tires once. Salesman told me they are last year’s Hakkapeliita pattern but made in Nokian’s Russian factory. I wouldn’t be surprised if they use a cheaper compound. They were adequate.

I buy whatever is cheap and carries the mountain/ snowflake logo. A few years back, we got studded Hankook iPikes for my wife’s car, and unstudded for mine. Mine are perfectly good snow tires. The studded tires on her car make an awful racket but after taking them out in black ice and freezing rain, we’re never going back. But we do get them taken off quickly in the spring. The racket is a constant reminder. The studs are on the outer edges of the tread for better cornering. I can’t imagine the studs detract much from braking performance on dry pavement, but we drive defensively and conservatively anyway.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.

dbr

Post by dbr » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:55 pm

Flobes wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:00 pm
OldBallCoach wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:01 pm
They are not studded as thats illegal here I am sure...actually not sure where studded tires are legal anymore?
Only five states have made studded tires illegal: Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Mississippi.
Which of those is not like the others. What an ironic list. But maybe they know something: https://wstc.wa.gov/documents/2013_0103 ... dtires.pdf

forgeblast

Post by forgeblast » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:39 am

I have had Blizzaks and love them. Check out a place like tirerack.com for reviews and to see what types of snows will fit your vehicle. We live on a gravel road, so my wifes jetta normally had studded tires. She went with an explorer so we need tires soon for her as the coopers were just not super aggressive.

kevinf

Post by kevinf » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:54 pm

Flobes wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:00 pm
Studded tires also excel on hard-packed snowy roads and muddy roads.
Mud traction is entirely dependent on the tread depth and design, favoring a scooping action. Studs should be little to no benefit in mud.

The benefit of studless is that they can be run for longer periods comfortably and legally. If you've got a heated garage to change tires around and cash to blow, and are absolutely required to drive in the worst possible conditions, maybe having a set of studded and studless winter tires makes sense. For most folks, putting on a single set of studless tires and driving with due diligence during extreme conditions or simply not driving makes much more sense. Get a full set of highly rated studless snows, put them on early, take them off late, and enjoy the ride.

A better option than studs would be to keep tire chains or snow socks in the vehicle.

I wouldn't recommend studs for general winter tire usage. If someone truly needs studs, they'll generally know and won't be asking for advice.

Laker1

Post by Laker1 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:23 am

My daugher has the Nokian Hakks on her CRV and that car will climb a frozen water fall with those tires on it. Driven two winters and they wear great and handle great. A little loud but a great tire for winter.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:31 am

dalbright wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:02 pm
Do you have them studded? In IL studs are illegal unfortunately so I can't comment on the studs part. We got nokian wrg3's 2-3 years ago for our prius and we love them. My dad just put on the nokian wrg4's and likes them as well. We use them year round to avoid swapping tires. They are winter rated and can keep the prius moving until the snow is too deep for the frame...then its time to switch to the truck. Since they are nokian they are most likely going to be great!
Using snow tires year round results in two things. First, excess wear. Second, and much more importantly, decreased safety.

Snow tires are great for snow. That's it. When you look at things like braking distance, etc., snow tires rate very poorly as compared to regular all season tires.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

dbr

Post by dbr » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:27 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:31 am
dalbright wrote:
Using snow tires year round results in two things. First, excess wear. Second, and much more importantly, decreased safety.

Snow tires are great for snow. That's it. When you look at things like braking distance, etc., snow tires rate very poorly as compared to regular all season tires.
The range is summer tires, all-season tires, all-weather tires, and snow tires. Possibly the best one tire compromise for those facing winter weather conditions is the all-weather tire.

wilked

Post by wilked » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:41 am

It always amazes me that people are willing to spend the $2-3K extra for AWD vs 2WD, which comes with it an extra $300 in gas consumption per year (and a bit more maintenance), yet won't spend the $1000 or so to get a set of good winter tires that will last 5-7 years (ie $150 or so a year)

From consumer reports
https://article.images.consumerreports. ... Rule-09-15

kevinf

Post by kevinf » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:56 am

You can get a full set of snows on rims for under $500. Kinda wish insurance offered discounts so more people would consider the investment.

dbr

Post by dbr » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:36 am

wilked wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:41 am
It always amazes me that people are willing to spend the $2-3K extra for AWD vs 2WD, which comes with it an extra $300 in gas consumption per year (and a bit more maintenance), yet won't spend the $1000 or so to get a set of good winter tires that will last 5-7 years (ie $150 or so a year)

From consumer reports
And yet, apparently in the upper Midwest (Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota) 70% of drivers do not mount snow tires and AWD vehicles are everywhere. Also, studded tires are illegal in those states. Those states have large urban areas that are well(?) plowed and also large rural areas, but they are not mountainous mostly.

I agree that it is a fact that the best combination for deep snow is AWD with snow tires, leaving true 4WD as a specialized application.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:36 am

Sgnoweht wrote:
I thought LC was an abbreviation for Lincoln Continental. Non-intuitive ambiguous acronyms are ubiquitous on this site.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

dalbright

Post by dalbright » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:41 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
dalbright wrote:

For snow only tires that would be accurate, however the Nokian wrg's are a different breed. They are designed for all year use and still are winter rated and functional great. Wear has been great as well.

jbmitt

Post by jbmitt » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:45 am

kevinf wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:56 am
You can get a full set of snows on rims for under $500. Kinda wish insurance offered discounts so more people would consider the investment.
Exactly! It’s cheaper to run snow tires than to pay a deductible. Unfortunately, many people don’t seem to have the financial resources to better protect themselves and those around them. We live in a cold, snowy, and icy environment and you can’t afford not to have them here.

dbr

Post by dbr » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:47 am

dalbright wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:41 am
RickBoglehead wrote:
dalbright wrote:

For snow only tires that would be accurate, however the Nokian wrg's are a different breed. They are designed for all year use and still are winter rated and functional great. Wear has been great as well.
That is an example of an all weather (not all season) tire.

Topic Author
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:27 pm

Holy Smokes, we got about 21 inches of snow in the past 48 hours and these Nokian tires are the best I have ever driven. YES to all those that said I would love em...spot on!! Now...about the weather...COME ON we got 4 more weeks of football, this is NUTS!

oldlongbeard

Post by oldlongbeard » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:05 pm

Nokian tyres are orders of magnitude better than the competitors. Buy them, and come back and tell me I was wrong.

smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:40 am

I am in NJ and used to uses Nokian WRG3 all weather tires on an AWD minivan. They were outstanding in the winter on snow and ice. Virtually indistinguishable in winter performance from dedicated winter tires like Blizzaks which I also used on the same car. But I would not say they are "4 season" tires. In the summer when weather gets hot the soft compound and the tread means it doesn't grip as well as a summer tire or even an all season tire. Can definitely feel tread squirm and decreased traction on hot days. Also, the softer compound means it wears out quickly in warmer weather. For my climate it's really a "3 season" tire which is great for those unpredictable years when there is a snowstorm on Halloween or it's 70F on Christmas.
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:09 am

dbr wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:27 am
RickBoglehead wrote:
dalbright wrote:

The range is summer tires, all-season tires, all-weather tires, and snow tires. Possibly the best one tire compromise for those facing winter weather conditions is the all-weather tire.
Yup, the tires listed (Nokian wr g3 and g4) are all-weather, they are slightly less competent in snow/ice than full on snow tires, but are much better in normal weather and with longer life. We have dedicated snow tires, but I have considered going to all-weather (specifically the Nokian wr g4s) to not have to store an extra set of wheels and tires.

onourway

Post by onourway » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:26 am

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I am a huge Nokian winter tire fan. We’ve owned many models over the years and they always have excellent grip and long life. I try not to buy anything else.

However about a year and a half ago we decided to try the WR G3 for my wife’s SUV because it needed both new winter and summer tires, yet it was now our second car and likely to be sold in the next 2-3 years. I don’t know what the issue is, but tread life has been horrible. We are at barely 10,000 miles and the tires are nearly worn out, the ones that were on the front are worn evenly and about 70% gone. We rotated them at that point, about 7,000 miles, but it might be too late. Won’t buy another set of these I suppose.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:32 am

I put Toyo Celsius on our last 2 cars. Mixed driving, year round. Very quiet, smooth and 60k treadwear.

Check out the specs and reviews. With the right tire you can avoid having 2 sets and the hassle of storing and swapping.

https://www.toyotires.com/tire/line/celsius
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead

EddyB

Post by EddyB » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:51 am

samsoes wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:36 am
Sgnoweht wrote:
I thought LC was an abbreviation for Lincoln Continental. Non-intuitive ambiguous acronyms are ubiquitous on this site.
You mean NIAAs.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:01 am

TLA is the worst. :wink:
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:12 am

bloom2708 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:32 am
I put Toyo Celsius on our last 2 cars. Mixed driving, year round. Very quiet, smooth and 60k treadwear.

Check out the specs and reviews. With the right tire you can avoid having 2 sets and the hassle of storing and swapping.

https://www.toyotires.com/tire/line/celsius
I would really like to try all-weathers, but I have always been able to find a set of pretty decent snow tires for <$60/piece (just bought our new set for $235 for all 4) while I have not seen Nokian WR or Toyo Celsius (or Vredestein also has a highly rated all-weather tire) for <$110/piece. Plus our all-seasons are better in the summer (better performing, lower rolling resistance). It's a trade-off: a small hassle of storing and switching for improved overall performance and cheaper cost.

IMO

Post by IMO » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:38 pm

wilked wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:41 am

From consumer reports
People seem to forget that AWD or 4wd doesn't help when it comes to stopping. When it snows, it exacerbates poor driving skills and causes more accidents and traffic delays.

You also forgot to mention, every mile one puts on their set of winter tires is one less mile put on their other tires (which makes them last that much longer). So essentially, what you're spending isn't $1000 since you need to subtract out the cost of the tires. So maybe $500 is the real extra cost for the rims. Presuming you have some garage space to stack the extra set of tires.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:52 pm

IMO wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:38 pm
You also forgot to mention, every mile one puts on their set of winter tires is one less mile put on their other tires (which makes them last that much longer). So essentially, what you're spending isn't $1000 since you need to subtract out the cost of the tires. So maybe $500 is the real extra cost for the rims. Presuming you have some garage space to stack the extra set of tires.
Great point that's often forgotten. Many snows (I believe Blizzaks, for example) and I know General Arctic Altimax for sure have 2 sets of wear bars to mark the 2 compound types. They are made so that the low temperature compound wears to the first mark and that signifies that it has now become an all season with a higher temp compound. It's perfectly fine to then drive this in 110 degree summer temperatures. Also note that even single type snows have far more tread than all season or summer tires, so even if they wear faster, there's more there to begin with, so the miles you get out of them might not be less. There are various types of winter tires, including "performance snows" that handle nearly as well as summer tires. I experienced these on a used Audi S4 I purchased. My "other" set that I bought were some Kumho MX DOT legal track tires. There was very little difference in street performance that I could notice.

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:09 pm

kevinf wrote:
$500? Please post a link. Last I checked it was more like $1k. But I definitely agree it still seems worth it if you are driving in cold weather.
Last edited by finite_difference on Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

Oakwood42

Post by Oakwood42 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:10 pm

Michelin X-Ice Xi3

These are excellent in snow and rain!

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:19 pm

finite_difference wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:09 pm
kevinf wrote:
$500? Please post a link. Last I checked it was more like $1k. But I definitely agree it still seems worth it if you are driving in cold weather.
I just bought my snows last week for $235 (ebay) with 4% back using Rakuten, so $225. I can get a brand new full set of Pacer steels on ebay as well for $205 (with 4% from Rakuten, <$200) or probably cheaper on craigslist, but I already have a set of steels. This is for a 2017 jetta (16" wheels) which has an odd offset (of course, German engineering) so it is harder (and more expensive) to find wheels than for a Japanese or American vehicle. On my last car (Hyundai), the Pacer steel wheels were <$150 brand new. Obviously the bigger the wheel/tire, the bigger the cost.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:46 pm

A fun topic. And just for fun, can search for "snow tire" videos on YouTube. Watching them makes the time just slip slide away.

Last year. Wanting a mild off-road, all-weather tire and not finding a Nokian (Nokian makes an "SUV" tire) to fit my '90 Montero, and couldn't find enough reviews to convince me to go with another all-weather brand, so I bought all-season Goodyear Wrangler TailRunner ATs.

Tires were recommended by retired friend living at 9K' off maintained mountain dirt road and used on his 4Runner. So far much better traction than removed BFG All-Terrain T/As (model before KO2). Did find reviews on Jeep forum that tried both and preferred TrailRunner over KO2.

If staying on hard-surfaced roads, there are much better winter tires than TrailRunners. Buy the better tires.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:09 pm

For 5 of the 8 years I lived in Vermont I used non-studded Hakkas on an AWD Volvo XC-70. I liked them very much although I still had problems going up my hilly, gravel driveway after several passes had compacted the snow and turned it to ice. (The plow couldn't clear the gravel driveway as well as it could have if it were paved, hence the residual snow that eventually became ice. It was about 1/10th of a mile long so keeping it well sanded was a very expensive proposition.) The Hakkas were better than anything else, though.
Friar1610

kevinf

Post by kevinf » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:11 pm

finite_difference wrote:
kevinf wrote:
Find closeout winters on TireRack.com/local tire center... TigerPaws are $79 x 4 = $316
Refurbished steelies from RockAuto.com/salvage yard/etc... $35 x 4 = $140
Tire mount+balance at Walmart... $22 x 4 = $88
Total = $544 + tax. A little optimistic on my part... but nowhere near $1000. I paid less than $500 due to already having a set of steelies.

IMO

Post by IMO » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:29 pm

kevinf wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:11 pm
finite_difference wrote:
kevinf wrote:
Find closeout winters on TireRack.com/local tire center... TigerPaws are $79 x 4 = $316
Total = $544 + tax. A little optimistic on my part... but nowhere near $1000. I paid less than $500 due to already having a set of steelies.
Here's what I just paid (Discount tires) for a new set of snow tires (with studs) for another real life data point:
GTR Champ Icepro 3 studdable $52.25 x 4 = $209
Tire/Disposal Fee: $4 x 4 = $16
Install/lifetime balance: $20 x 4 = $80
Studding: $12 x 4 = $48
------------------------------------
Total before taxes: $358
Discounts: $25 local rebate / $50 mail-in rebate
Total before taxes with discount: $283 (already had the steel rims).

Keep in mind, these are for a sedan on 15" rims. Also I could care less about "ratings" on the tires (which were fine on reviews), they are snow tires with big treads with the snow cuts (swipes?) and plenty of studs. One is splitting hairs on snow tire ratings, cheapest ones, especially with studs are vastly superior to any all season tire.

And reviewing my records, the above tires are replacing my last set of studded snow tires bought in 2011 (just under 9 yrs of use). The steel rims (15") back then were $70 each ($280 set) and lug nuts to fit rims were another $44.

onourway

Post by onourway » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:43 am

IMO wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:29 pm
kevinf wrote:
finite_difference wrote:
kevinf wrote:
Here's what I just paid (Discount tires) for a new set of snow tires (with studs) for another real life data point:

Keep in mind, these are for a sedan on 15" rims. Also I could care less about "ratings" on the tires (which were fine on reviews), they are snow tires with big treads with the snow cuts (swipes?) and plenty of studs. One is splitting hairs on snow tire ratings, cheapest ones, especially with studs are vastly superior to any all season tire.

And reviewing my records, the above tires are replacing my last set of studded snow tires bought in 2011 (just under 9 yrs of use). The steel rims (15") back then were $70 each ($280 set) and lug nuts to fit rims were another $44.
No, it’s not splitting hairs. The best snow tires today will be substantially better than your inexpensive studded models in 98% of conditions, and 90% as good on ice as the studs. And they’ll be orders of magnitude quieter and handle nearly like an all season on dry/wet roads.

Laker1

Post by Laker1 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:55 am

I just bought a set of four Blizzacks at Costco for 601.00 out the door for our 2019 Honda Pilot..I think this is a great deal...Costco has a huge sale going on right now on Bridgestone. Just thought I would mention incase any is shopping. Best of luck in winter dirving fun! NOT

kevinf

Post by kevinf » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:33 am

onourway wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:43 am
IMO wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:29 pm
kevinf wrote:
finite_difference wrote:
kevinf wrote:

No, it’s not splitting hairs. The best snow tires today will be substantially better than your inexpensive studded models in 98% of conditions, and 90% as good on ice as the studs. And they’ll be orders of magnitude quieter and handle nearly like an all season on dry/wet roads.
He said they'll outperform all-seasons. A studded snow tire should handle most scenarios, budget or not. Not everyone lives in the Arctic circle and needs studded Hakks.

stl717

Post by stl717 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:10 am

Laker1 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:55 am
I just bought a set of four Blizzacks at Costco for 601.00 out the door for our 2019 Honda Pilot..I think this is a great deal...Costco has a huge sale going on right now on Bridgestone. Just thought I would mention incase any is shopping. Best of luck in winter dirving fun! NOT
I just bought Blizzaks from Costco, also. $150 or so off and I think the best snow tire out there if you live in a cold climate.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:15 am

IMO wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:38 pm
People seem to forget that AWD or 4wd doesn't help when it comes to stopping. When it snows, it exacerbates poor driving skills and causes more accidents and traffic delays.

+1000. Put them on rims so they’re easy to swap. Get smaller tires for winter use (helps with potholes).

As I get older, I find that more of life choices are about regret avoidance. What if I killed someone because I wanted to save a few bucks (that I can afford) on the proper tires? I couldn’t bear it.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.