Kohl's credit card refuse to refund undelivered order

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
BogleMelon

Kohl's credit card refuse to refund undelivered order

Post by BogleMelon »

We have Kohl's store credit card. We ordered some stuff that was supposed to arrive 3 weeks ago. For some reason (not our fault), the carrier decided that the address doesn't exist and they are returning it to the shipper. It has been moving around for 2 weeks now, still in-transit, and hasn't reached Kohl's warehouse.
I contacted Kohl's so many times asking them to refund the money or to dispute the transaction (calling the number on the card directing me to Kohl's not the issuing bank), but they insist that I should wait till they receive the shipment back in their warehouse and then within 10 days I should see the refund! I tried asking a supervisor over the chat, but same answer I got.
Now that the statement is issued, and I owe them that order, what else I could do to not pay for something that I never received? Will going to a physical store and talk to someone there would help?
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
neilpilot

Re: Kohl's credit card refuse to refund undelivered order

Post by neilpilot »

Simply dispute charge with bank that issued the card, and you need not pay while it's "under investigation".
Topic Author
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

neilpilot wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:26 pm Simply dispute charge with bank that issued the card, and you need not pay while it's "under investigation".
Who is that bank? who to find out?
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
Ddd7651

Post by Ddd7651 »

I think you have a valid complaint. You didn't receive it, now your statement has posted, and now have to pay for it though you still don't have it and it has been 3 weeks. I would be just as mad.

Just chiming in to say that I fully believe you will get your money and shouldn't worry. Maybe it will take another week but you already had the money so it sounds like it isn't going to throw off your budget this month. What if you bought it a day before your statement closed, then paid it and you would be in the same boat. It is common to fully pay something and not being able to stop it from posting.

Due to the length of time, it might be in order to post reviews you feel are earned to Kohl's or other places so others can see how their policy isn't fair. I think they should have refunded you way earlier as well. But, I think you will not lose this money so please do not worry.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

BogleMelon wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:29 pm
neilpilot wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:26 pm Simply dispute charge with bank that issued the card, and you need not pay while it's "under investigation".
Capital One
J Dough

Post by J Dough »

The privacy policy linked to the CC page on the Kohl's website indicates it is Capital One.

https://corporate.kohls.com/Legal/CapOnePolicy.pdf

The same page has a phone number for any questions, 1-800-564-5740. Any chance that's not the Kohl's number you already called from the back of your card?
Topic Author
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

J Dough wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:45 pm
The privacy policy linked to the CC page on the Kohl's website indicates it is Capital One.

https://corporate.kohls.com/Legal/CapOnePolicy.pdf

The same page has a phone number for any questions, 1-800-564-5740. Any chance that's not the Kohl's number you already called from the back of your card?
I asked the CS answering the phone and he stated he is representing Kohl's. The card is branded in a way that makes it almost impossible to reach the bank to dispute the transaction. I can call Capital One CS published number, but I am almost sure they won't help since the 800- number you listed above is for Kohl's
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

BogleMelon wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:49 pm I asked the CS answering the phone and he stated he is representing Kohl's. The card is branded in a way that makes it almost impossible to reach the bank to dispute the transaction. I can call Capital One CS published number, but I am almost sure they won't help since the 800- number you listed above is for Kohl's
Agree with disputing the charge. Your credit card statement should include information on how to dispute a charge.
Topic Author
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

HomeStretch wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
BogleMelon wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:49 pm I asked the CS answering the phone and he stated he is representing Kohl's. The card is branded in a way that makes it almost impossible to reach the bank to dispute the transaction. I can call Capital One CS published number, but I am almost sure they won't help since the 800- number you listed above is for Kohl's
Agree with disputing the charge. Your credit card statement should include information on how to dispute a charge.
Thanks, I looked and found that. Unfortunately, the only way is by mailing them a letter to a P.O box!
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Formally dispute the charge with a letter per the procedures on the back of the statement.

Was this purchased made at a store? Go down and talk to a manager in person. Even if you bought it online I'd do the same.
windaar

Post by windaar »

I learned something from reading this - one more reason to not have a store/gas station card. They have no interest in disputing charges and will drag their feet, unlike a regular bank card that doesn't have a pony in the race!
Nobody knows nothing.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Wow. So--maybe generally--if you get a store-branded credit card it is the store, not the bank, that handles disputes. That sucks.

I would still try to reach the bank.

I believe you should at least try contacting Capital One credit card customer service at 1 (800) 227-4825, and be persistent, and keep pointing out that it says Capital One on the card (assuming it does).

If they try to direct you back to Kohl's you might try complaining, saying that you got the Kohl's credit card in good faith believing that it was a Capital One credit card and that Capital One ought to stand behind it.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Topic Author
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

nisiprius wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:07 pm Wow. So--maybe generally--if you get a store-branded credit card it is the store, not the bank, that handles disputes. That sucks.

I believe you should at least try contacting Capital One credit card customer service at 1 (800) 227-4825, and be persistent, and keep pointing out that it says Capital One on the card (assuming it does).

If they try to direct you back to Kohl's you might try complaining, saying that you got the Kohl's credit card in good faith believing that it was a Capital One credit card and that Capital One ought to stand behind it.
it says Capital One on the card (assuming it does).
Only on the statement fine print. Capital One is mentioned nowhere on the card! But I will try anyways. Thanks
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Here is a link to the Federal Trade Commission's website on disputing credit card charges:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0 ... rd-charges

Note it says you must dispute the charge in writing within 60 days of the first bill to assert and exercise your rights. The Fair Credit Billing Act was passed in 1974; it has not been updated to reflect tweets and chat rooms.
PS241

Post by PS241 »

We had this happen several months ago. Kohl's eventually did work with us, just had to wait it out. They would not issue any refunds until proof of delivery. We saw the package on tracking go back and forth across the country several times.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

stan1 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:19 pm Here is a link to the Federal Trade Commission's website on disputing credit card charges:

Note it says you must dispute the charge in writing within 60 days of the first bill to assert and exercise your rights. The Fair Credit Billing Act was passed in 1974; it has not been updated to reflect tweets and chat rooms.
Agree. Dispute the charge in writing within 60 days of the first statement where the charge appears to the address provided on the statement for billing disputes/inquiries.
Topic Author
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

PS241 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:24 pm We had this happen several months ago. Kohl's eventually did work with us, just had to wait it out. They would not issue any refunds until proof of delivery. We saw the package on tracking go back and forth across the country several times.
The tracking number is providing a proof of the shipment being rerouted back to the shipper 2 weeks ago. Why isn't that enough for them to issue a refund? :oops:
Topic Author
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

galawdawg wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:25 pm
stan1 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:19 pm Here is a link to the Federal Trade Commission's website on disputing credit card charges:

Agree. Dispute the charge in writing within 60 days of the first statement where the charge appears to the address provided on the statement for billing disputes/inquiries.
I filed a complained there last week as well. FTC sent to Kohl's. Kohl's hasn't responded.
Topic Author
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

BogleMelon wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:10 pm
nisiprius wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:07 pm Wow. So--maybe generally--if you get a store-branded credit card it is the store, not the bank, that handles disputes. That sucks.

it says Capital One on the card (assuming it does).
Only on the statement fine print. Capital One is mentioned nowhere on the card! But I will try anyways. Thanks
So I called Capital one. They are unable to find that account on their side, and as a result they can't help! They offered to call Kohl's number on the phone (conference call) and see if there is any misunderstanding, but I declined since I felt it would be a waste of time and Kohl's employee would insist that the system won't allow him to refund unless delivered back. Now I am trying another route: social media. Let's see if that would work, otherwise, I will go to the store and mail an official dispute letter
Last edited by BogleMelon on Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beehave

Post by Beehave »

windaar wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:02 pm I learned something from reading this - one more reason to not have a store/gas station card. They have no interest in disputing charges and will drag their feet, unlike a regular bank card that doesn't have a pony in the race!
I agree.

I'm always a bit surprised by the number of boglehead posts dealing with micro-optimizing credit card rewards or an award for transferring an IRA account or which financial services company has the most user-friendly web site. When it comes to financial transactions, reliability and trust with your partner in your transactions should weigh very heavily in your choices. Long-term relations with a reliable service provider may not be a guarantee that things won't go wrong and not be fixable to your satisfaction, but they sure are big, big helpers which provides a significant level of financial value and peace of mind.
gac1979

Post by gac1979 »

I don’t get it. By all accounts, there was no fraud. Instead, it was a shipping snafu. It’s not Kohl’s fault, nor your fault. Wait until a day or two before the bill is due, then pay it and wait for the refund. Then shop elsewhere from now on.
Topic Author
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

Thanks for everyone. I tweeted about it while mentioning their name. They contacted me and after getting the information they said they processed the refund. I wish I knew that route from the beginning!
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

BogleMelon wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:33 pm

I filed a complained there last week as well. FTC sent to Kohl's. Kohl's hasn't responded.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. The Fair Credit Billing Act is very clear, very enforceable and has been in place since 1975. There is an address on your Kohl's statement for billing inquiries (look at the reverse of the first page). If the refund doesn't appear, just send the dispute letter to that address. You can read your dispute rights on page two of your Kohl's cardmember agreement: https://corporate.kohls.com/Legal/Cardm ... eement.pdf

That's how you protect your rights. No sense in getting all worked up because a customer no-service representative won't instantaneously reverse the charge (even before you are required to pay) or spending a bunch of time making multiple phone calls, posting on social media, complaining to the FTC or driving to the store. Just let them know the item never arrived and you want a refund. If the refund doesn't post before the bill due date, withhold the disputed amount and mail the dispute letter. Simple as that.
Topic Author
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

galawdawg wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:48 pm
BogleMelon wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:33 pm

Sorry if I wasn't clear. The Fair Credit Billing Act is very clear, very enforceable and has been in place since 1975. There is an address on your Kohl's statement for billing inquiries (look at the reverse of the first page). If the refund doesn't appear, just send the dispute letter to that address. You can read your dispute rights on page two of your Kohl's cardmember agreement: https://corporate.kohls.com/Legal/Cardm ... eement.pdf

That's how you protect your rights. No sense in getting all worked up because a customer no-service representative won't instantaneously reverse the charge (even before you are required to pay) or spending a bunch of time making multiple phone calls, posting on social media, complaining to the FTC or driving to the store. Just let them know the item never arrived and you want a refund. If the refund doesn't post before the bill due date, withhold the disputed amount and mail the dispute letter. Simple as that.
Got you! I will wait and look out for the refund, otherwise, I will go with what you suggested. I appreciate your help!
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

BogleMelon wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:21 pm Thanks for everyone. I tweeted about it while mentioning their name. They contacted me and after getting the information they said they processed the refund. I wish I knew that route from the beginning!
Thanks for the update! It’s amazing how a tweet can help resolve a situation. It’s sad that the only reason I consider joining Twitter is to tweet about issues to companies for faster resolution.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Once you see that the account is credited, sounds like a good time to cancel the card and shop elsewhere.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Topic Author
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:03 pm Once you see that the account is credited, sounds like a good time to cancel the card and shop elsewhere.
I was considering that, but do you think it is still a good idea even with a consistent 30% discount + free shipping on almost everything in there (with few brand exceptions) most of the time?
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

No firm is perfect. I had a Kohl's store card for a few years, I recently closed it for the reason I am thinning out my stable of cards. And, a DD has one so she can buy whatever I want and she can have the rewards earned.

Companies do not intentionally aggravate their customers, so, someone making a mistake seems to be a thin reason for closing an account. But, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

One thing I really like about Kohl's is the ability to take a purchase from Amazon needing return, throw it in the returns counter, unboxed, and Kohl's will take it from there. That option is very handy for lazy people such as myself.

Probably 75% of my shirts are from Kohl's, polos, tee-shirts, all purchased at deep, deep discounts during a sale when you can layer on extra discounts. Works for me. Also have bought some kitchen electrics at prices not available elsewhere.

I usually buy online from Kohl's, but a couple of times a year I like to go to the store to see what new stuff I don't need to buy.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain