Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
Ykcor
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:42 am

Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by Ykcor » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:23 pm

I live in large house. Not getting enough wifi signal upstairs where my office is. I am streaming YouTube TV. I own my own combo modem-router (gateway I think it is called). I have tried the wifi extenders without success. I plan on purchasing a MESH system. My question is, will I have to purchase a new modem or can I piggyback the new mesh on the Motorola gateway which I already own.

User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 4911
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am
Location: In a house

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by RickBoglehead » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:43 pm

Will need to disable the WiFi in your router.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

Topic Author
Ykcor
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:42 am

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by Ykcor » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:27 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:43 pm
Will need to disable the WiFi in your router.
Thanks. Is that something I can easily do?

mhalley
Posts: 7654
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:02 am

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by mhalley » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:55 pm

You just have to go into the settings to turn it off. If you google whatever type you have, ie turn off Comcast WiFi, turn off Fio’s WiFi, etc it will give step by step instructions.

User avatar
WWJBDo
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:43 am
Location: San Diego

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by WWJBDo » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:24 am

You can, if you want, leave the original one in in place and just not use it. Make a new network name for for your new, mesh network and don't bother with the original one.
Other things to consider- you might want in your install to include a password free guest wifi account so you don't have to share your password. Most mesh networks allow you to do that.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

fru-gal
Posts: 1186
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:48 pm
Location: New England

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by fru-gal » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:21 am

Let me hijack this thread slightly. I have a cable modem, so one Ethernet socket which my septic system which only speaks Ethernet is currently using. I want wireless (I currently use a mobile hotspot for my laptop at an expensive rate), so I was going to get a router, but when I talked to those folks they said it would not have a long enough range to reach my generator which is wanting to speak wireless, so I was going to buy an extender.

Is a setup with my cable modem and MESH stuff a better way to go? I assume the MESH stuff slurps up my one Ethernet socket, does it provide other Ethernet sockets?

Thanks.

Millennial
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:46 pm

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by Millennial » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:56 am

@fru-gal

A mesh system is a router.

Most provide Ethernet ports at the main node and satellite nodes, but check the specific one you plan to purchase for sure. They generally provide fewer Ethernet ports than a traditional router, but you can add an Ethernet switch (inexpensive) to add as many as you need. With a switch, the additional Ethernet ports will work the same as ports in a router would.

fru-gal
Posts: 1186
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:48 pm
Location: New England

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by fru-gal » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:36 am

Millennial wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:56 am
@fru-gal

A mesh system is a router.

Most provide Ethernet ports at the main node and satellite nodes, but check the specific one you plan to purchase for sure. They generally provide fewer Ethernet ports than a traditional router, but you can add an Ethernet switch (inexpensive) to add as many as you need. With a switch, the additional Ethernet ports will work the same as ports in a router would.
Thanks. What does a MESH system get you then, more area coverage?

User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 4911
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am
Location: In a house

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by RickBoglehead » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:47 am

fru-gal wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:36 am
Millennial wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:56 am
@fru-gal

A mesh system is a router.

Most provide Ethernet ports at the main node and satellite nodes, but check the specific one you plan to purchase for sure. They generally provide fewer Ethernet ports than a traditional router, but you can add an Ethernet switch (inexpensive) to add as many as you need. With a switch, the additional Ethernet ports will work the same as ports in a router would.
Thanks. What does a MESH system get you then, more area coverage?
What Is a Mesh Wi-Fi System?
Designed to blanket your home with wireless coverage, Wi-Fi systems are a hybrid of sorts, made up of several networking components. There's a main router that connects directly to your modem, and a series of satellite modules, or nodes, that you place throughout your house. They are all part of a single wireless network, and share the same SSID and password. Unlike range extenders, which communicate with the router via the 2.4GHz or 5GHz radio bands, most Wi-Fi system satellites use mesh technology to talk to the router and to each other. Each node serves as a hop point for other nodes in the system. This helps the nodes farthest from the router to deliver a strong Wi-Fi signal as they are talking to other nodes and not relying on one-to-one communications with the router.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

Figuring_it_out
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:54 am

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by Figuring_it_out » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:00 am

I'd give the booster route a try again.

I have A TP-Link one at $30 from amazon. Don't get a cheapest one.

Setup is easy but there are some tips.

1) follow the instructions slowly and carefully.

2) If the router is on one end of the house, put the repeater somewhere in the middle. Make sure the repeater has good signal strength to the router. many people put the repeater next to where they want the strong signal. That makes the repeater struggle for wifi just like the device you are trying to use. Sometimes just getting around one dense wall or metal structure so the repeater is only 1 room away from the router but on the opposite side of a water heater or HVAC closet with lots of grounded metal to suck up the wifi signal.

3) I like to give the extended network a new SSID instead of trying to use the same SSID as the original. Also delete the original network SSID (Forget network) from my device so it doesn't try to hook into it if the power blinks. it only knows the extended one with the string signal. Some devices don't grab the strongest signal first. With the extender in a central area, even walkaround devices (phones, tablets) should use the extended SSID since it will have wider coverage.

Worth a try before going with the expense of a MESH.

Many times its just the setup that is the problem with repeaters. I must admit it took a few youtube video watchings to figure mine out. but saved a couple hundred dollars.

mpsz
Posts: 374
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by mpsz » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:14 am

WWJBDo wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:24 am
Other things to consider- you might want in your install to include a password free guest wifi account so you don't have to share your password. Most mesh networks allow you to do that.
Separate guest network is a good idea, but always password protect all WiFi networks. You can be liable if your connection is used for illegal purposes.

9liner
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:03 pm

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by 9liner » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:24 am

Figuring_it_out wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:00 am
I'd give the booster route a try again.
I absolutely WOULD NOT go this route. Particularly, if it hasn’t worked for you in the past.

There are significant differences in both simplicity and performance of mesh networks vs using extenders. Theoretical losses of up to 50% bandwidth may (read: will) be experienced with extenders vs a mesh network with dedicated backhaul. In addition, mesh allows you to freely roam about the network without having to worry about switching SSIDs.

If you can afford to shell out the extra money for a mesh network, it’s well worth it. I’ve been extremely happy with my Orbi system but there are cheaper mesh networks out there.

User avatar
sunny_socal
Posts: 2140
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by sunny_socal » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:28 am

I wouldn't monkey around with mesh, just use ethernet over AC and you'll have rock-solid service.

Image

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tp-link-po ... lsrc=aw.ds

anon_investor
Posts: 587
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:43 pm

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by anon_investor » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:22 am

I cannot explain to the OP how to do it for his/her personal cable modem/router combo. But before I switched away from Comcast, I did have my own cable modem/router combo, which after I moved from an apartment to a house, did not provide the wifi coverage I needed. What i did was purchase an mesh router system, and put the cable modem/router combo into "bridge" mode, which basically turned off the router portion and had the device act as just a cable modem, then 1 ethernet cable go from the cable modem/router combo device to my mesh router base. This worked flawlessly for me. When I later changed to fiber internet, I just plugged the modem for that ISP directly into my mesh router base.

There are many different mesh system brands. Usually, there is a base and satellites. The base needs to be plugged into the internet source (in the case of the OP it would be the cable modem/router combo device), and the satellites are then placed around the house to expand the network's wifi signal. Depending on the brand, some of the satellites may have ethernet ports to plug in non-wifi devices so they still get internet. Personally, I have a bunch of Amplifi HD Routers (https://www.amazon.com/AmpliFi-Ubiquiti ... 01L9O07FS/), set up in a mesh network. I liked this system because it is expandable I have the option of using routers as satellites (instead of just access points, which are cheaper but do not have ethernet ports), and the routers have stronger antennas as well as ethernet ports (so I can plug in some older devices that do not have wifi). There are many other brands out there, but I do not have personal experience, like Google's version, Netgear's Orbi, Linksys has one too, etc.

As others have mentioned, this is better than a wifi boaster, because to your devices it is all one network so you do not have to manually change the network when you move around the house. This is really good, if you are watching someone on your laptop/tablet/phone and move from one place to another in the house.

User avatar
greg24
Posts: 3707
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:34 am

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by greg24 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:36 am

Google Wifi is a piece of cake to setup. You'll be up and running with a mesh network in about 15 minutes. You can leave your old network on, just give the new network a new name.

pyld76
Posts: 272
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:15 pm

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by pyld76 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:36 am

sunny_socal wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:28 am
I wouldn't monkey around with mesh, just use ethernet over AC and you'll have rock-solid service.
Without knowing the state of the OP's home electrical wiring plant, that statement has a 1 in X (with X being unkown) chance of being true. Do that on old knob/tube serialized wiring? You might, might get a modem's worth of connectivity. Brand new load-centered romex? Maybe it's rock solid, depends on what other arc or fire detection is done in the breakers.

For the OP: your most successful course of action will be to use the internet to discern how to disable the wifi functionality in your home device. Then, plug the "router / base" unit of a good mesh system (Google/Nest wifi or Netgear's Orbi are probably where you should start) into your cable gateway. Place the other units around your house as the directions dictate.
fru-gal wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:21 am
Let me hijack this thread slightly. I have a cable modem, so one Ethernet socket which my septic system which only speaks Ethernet is currently using. I want wireless (I currently use a mobile hotspot for my laptop at an expensive rate), so I was going to get a router, but when I talked to those folks they said it would not have a long enough range to reach my generator which is wanting to speak wireless, so I was going to buy an extender.

Is a setup with my cable modem and MESH stuff a better way to go? I assume the MESH stuff slurps up my one Ethernet socket, does it provide other Ethernet sockets?
The mesh systems I spoke of above typically have 2 to 4 wired ports on the main "router" in addition to the one which attaches to the upstream internet connection. So, you connect the mesh router to your cable modem, and you'd connect the septic system to one of the two (nest wifi) or 4 (orbi) ports on the router.
Figuring_it_out wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:00 am
I'd give the booster route a try again.

...

Worth a try before going with the expense of a MESH.

Many times its just the setup that is the problem with repeaters. I must admit it took a few youtube video watchings to figure mine out. but saved a couple hundred dollars.
I say this with respect: there's a reason repeaters are cheap and mesh systems are not. They aren't doing the same things, and a properly tuned mesh system is going to result in a far, far better result for the vast majority of folks, including those who know what they are doing.

Most saliently: a repeater/extender is usually a single radio. It's going to be a half-duplex repeater. It will slow the entire network down. Most mesh systems operate with multiple radios, so while there _is_ bandwidth reduction versus APs with wired backhaul, it is significantly less disruptive than repeating wifi.

User avatar
telemark
Posts: 2534
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:35 am

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by telemark » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:06 pm

There are three separate functions involved here: modem, router, and Wifi Access Point (WAP). I'm not familiar with your current hardware, but it probably combines them all in one unit, while a mesh network typically provides a router and a WAP. Ideally you want one of each: one modem, one router, and one WAP. There are two ways you might go about this.

1) Disable the wifi on your current hardware and put its router into bridge mode, letting the mesh network handle the routing. This may be better since the router in the mesh network is designed to work with it.

2) Disable the wifi on your current hardware and configure the mesh network as a WAP only. This disables the router in the mesh network and lets your original hardware handle the routing. This might be easier, depending on what configuration options are available, and should work fine. I used to do this with a CenturyLink C2000A because putting it into bridge mode was too much bother.

As a third approach, you can just disable the wifi on your current hardware and connect the mesh network, leaving both routers active. This should probably work but may cost you some performance and the occasional mysterious glitch.

The forums on dslreports.com are a good place to ask questions about specific systems, with a good chance that someone else has already asked the same question.

lightheir
Posts: 2404
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by lightheir » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:31 pm

Get the MESH (any, Google wifi is a great one), and call it a day.

It will save you potential (likely) HOURS of troubleshooting the inevitable day that something goes wrong, even if it's as simple as an outage of the main provider cable fiber entering your house.

I've tried most things as a non-professional, so I'm familiar with most of the problems that a nonexpert will run into.

- Hardwire ethernet - Fastest, works best, but can be more of a hassle to setup with drilling, wiring, etc
- Powerline systems - Work great when they work, but sometimes, they don't. In my case, it was great 95%+ of the time, but that mere 5% dropout rate is absolutely maddening, and an instant-dealbreaker. I was unable to figure out what caused the dropouts, that wasted hours of my life.
- Multiple routers - You deal with the real headache of different network names (SSIDs), and even if you configure them so they are the same name (same SSID), the handoff is wayyy worse than the mesh in most cases. And when you have to trouble shoot such a router, you are screwed as a nonexpert - prepare for hours and hours of your life wasted.

Seriously, just get the mesh. You can thank me later.

mervinj7
Posts: 1153
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by mervinj7 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:33 pm

lightheir wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:31 pm
Get the MESH (any, Google wifi is a great one), and call it a day.
+1 But get the newer Nest WiFi instead of Google WiFi.
https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/4/2094 ... s-features

lazydavid
Posts: 2583
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by lazydavid » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:56 pm

mervinj7 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:33 pm
lightheir wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:31 pm
Get the MESH (any, Google wifi is a great one), and call it a day.
+1 But get the newer Nest WiFi instead of Google WiFi.
https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/4/2094 ... s-features
While the newer ones are prettier and add Google Home functionality, they're more expensive and have eliminated wired backhaul--and it doesn't have dedicated wireless backhaul either. I'm sticking with my completely hardwired Google WiFi setup.

mervinj7
Posts: 1153
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by mervinj7 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:56 pm
mervinj7 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:33 pm
lightheir wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:31 pm
Get the MESH (any, Google wifi is a great one), and call it a day.
+1 But get the newer Nest WiFi instead of Google WiFi.
https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/4/2094 ... s-features
While the newer ones are prettier and add Google Home functionality, they're more expensive and have eliminated wired backhaul. I'm sticking with my completely hardwired Google WiFi setup.
The new Nest WiFi "Points" have no Ethernet ports but the main router does. Also the new router is backwards compatible with the older wired Google WiFi pucks. For those that still want (and can implement) a Ethernet backhaul, they can use multiple Nest Wifi Routers or a single Nest Wifi Router with the older pucks. Hope that makes sense.

Amazon sells a two-pack of Nest WiFi routers that can be hardwired together.
https://www.amazon.com/Google-Nest-WiFi ... B07YMJ57MB

User avatar
telemark
Posts: 2534
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:35 am

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by telemark » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:04 pm

lightheir wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:31 pm
Get the MESH (any, Google wifi is a great one), and call it a day.
And use what for a modem? That was the question.

User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 4911
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am
Location: In a house

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by RickBoglehead » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:06 pm

telemark wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:04 pm
lightheir wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:31 pm
Get the MESH (any, Google wifi is a great one), and call it a day.
And use what for a modem? That was the question.
The OP has a modem. He can simply turn off the WiFi on it, or leave it on and name the Mesh network something else, as has been already pointed out.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

ZinCO
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:42 pm

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by ZinCO » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:12 pm

Since you mentioned Youtube TV... I'm using Youtube TV on 5 AppleTV 4k's, all doing WiFi to an Eero mesh, which one exception. My main TV is hard-wired to an Eero unit that is using a pair of TP-Link AV2000 Ethernet-over-Power for backhaul to my base unit. That unit gets over 700mbps which is pretty good for Eth-over-Power. It's been rock-solid and the Eero system, while expensive, was worth every penny to me for the flexibility and performance.

Gasser
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:54 am

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by Gasser » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:24 pm

I am not a tech wizard but i have some experience with mesh systems. I think if you are looking at mesh you have probably already looked in to a powerline. If not a powerline uses existing wiring in your house to create a wired connection in a different part of the house. The issue with the powerline is if you need a connection in multiple rooms you will need a powerline in each room. Some people may suggest taking an older router and using it as a switch or creating and access point. This works but mesh systems were created to subvert the issue with access points. Access points require a new SSID and may not allow for seamless connection when going from room to room. My suggestion is buying a mesh system that has the ability to add "satellites" for future proofing yourself or in case you move to a bigger house or one with thicker walls. The two systems I am familiar with that I would recommend are the Netgear Orbi and the Tplink (sorry can't remember exact name). My personal choice is the orbi. If you are a member of a Costco they actually sell several Orbi systems. The Orbi will replace your current router or you can use your current router in the Bridge setting and allowing the internet to pass through your current router and be used by the Orbi system. The orbi mesh and all mesh systems allow you to have one SSID and seamless WIFI throughout your house. These systems are also gigbit ready and send our AC signals. Hope this helps some.

lazydavid
Posts: 2583
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by lazydavid » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:29 pm

mervinj7 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm
The new Nest WiFi "Points" have no Ethernet ports but the main router does. Also the new router is backwards compatible with the older wired Google WiFi pucks. For those that still want (and can implement) a Ethernet backhaul, they can use multiple Nest Wifi Routers or a single Nest Wifi Router with the older pucks. Hope that makes sense.

Amazon sells a two-pack of Nest WiFi routers that can be hardwired together.
https://www.amazon.com/Google-Nest-WiFi ... B07YMJ57MB
That then gets back to my "significantly more expensive" point. The Nest router two-pack costs to the penny what I paid for four Google WiFi pucks. :) And since only the points have Google home functionality (the routers do not), this has you paying exactly double just for "pretty".

User avatar
telemark
Posts: 2534
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:35 am

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by telemark » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:50 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:06 pm
telemark wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:04 pm
lightheir wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:31 pm
Get the MESH (any, Google wifi is a great one), and call it a day.
And use what for a modem? That was the question.
The OP has a modem. He can simply turn off the WiFi on it, or leave it on and name the Mesh network something else, as has been already pointed out.
The OP has a combo modem/router/WAP. Which unit should provide NAT and DHCP, the gateway or the mesh? Turning off the wifi probably won't solve that.

User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 4911
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am
Location: In a house

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by RickBoglehead » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:55 pm

telemark wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:50 pm
RickBoglehead wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:06 pm
telemark wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:04 pm
lightheir wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:31 pm
Get the MESH (any, Google wifi is a great one), and call it a day.
And use what for a modem? That was the question.
The OP has a modem. He can simply turn off the WiFi on it, or leave it on and name the Mesh network something else, as has been already pointed out.
The OP has a combo modem/router/WAP. Which unit should provide NAT and DHCP, the gateway or the mesh? Turning off the wifi probably won't solve that.
I would turn off the router (DHCP), including the WiFi, leaving just the modem function. Google Mesh is more than capable of handling things.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

User avatar
telemark
Posts: 2534
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:35 am

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by telemark » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:13 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:55 pm
telemark wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:50 pm
RickBoglehead wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:06 pm
telemark wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:04 pm
lightheir wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:31 pm
Get the MESH (any, Google wifi is a great one), and call it a day.
And use what for a modem? That was the question.
The OP has a modem. He can simply turn off the WiFi on it, or leave it on and name the Mesh network something else, as has been already pointed out.
The OP has a combo modem/router/WAP. Which unit should provide NAT and DHCP, the gateway or the mesh? Turning off the wifi probably won't solve that.
I would turn off the router (DHCP), including the WiFi, leaving just the modem function. Google Mesh is more than capable of handling things.
That is what I would recommend also (commonly known as bridge mode). Google has some advice on how to do this at

https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/6277579

User avatar
greg24
Posts: 3707
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:34 am

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by greg24 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:17 pm

telemark wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:50 pm
RickBoglehead wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:06 pm
telemark wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:04 pm
lightheir wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:31 pm
Get the MESH (any, Google wifi is a great one), and call it a day.
And use what for a modem? That was the question.
The OP has a modem. He can simply turn off the WiFi on it, or leave it on and name the Mesh network something else, as has been already pointed out.
The OP has a combo modem/router/WAP. Which unit should provide NAT and DHCP, the gateway or the mesh? Turning off the wifi probably won't solve that.
The OP can ignore NAT and DHCP.

Buy a Google Wifi package. Plug in. Enjoy.

AznSaver
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:51 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by AznSaver » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:18 pm

To answer the OP's question, you do not need a new a modem/router. If you choose to use the provided hardware, when setting up your new router you would put the comcast one into bridge mode, aka modem only function. Failing to do that can lead to reduced performance, increased wifi interference, and intermittent dropped connectivity.

If you do buy a mesh system (common recommendations: Netgear Orbi, Google Wifi, Eero), look into purchasing a standalone cable modem. It will pay for itself typically in a year or less from the reduction of a modem rental fee and typically offers better performance. If you are spending money to improve your network range and connectivity making sure you can maximize your connection speed to take advantage of that would be a good way to go.

Wifi/Mesh systems tend to have longer horizontal vs vertical ranges so in setting up your system try to maximize your range by paying attention to the location of the satellites with that aspect. Another solution is to use a system that provides a wired backhaul, a solution where your satellites are connected together via an ethernet wire, maximizing speeds and reducing latency,response time, for the network.

Wifi Extenders and Powerline adapters (ethernet over ac) are very band-aid solutions that have some big drawbacks. Wifi extenders are typically limited to half speed of the network and have double the latency and usually require a manual reconnection to the network. Ethernet over ac can be an okay solution as long as you have a very modern home, very thick romax wiring, and the two outlets connected to each other do not pass through a circuit breaker, ever passthrough of a circuit typical halves the speed which is limited by the wiring, ex. 100mb connection through 2 breakers becomes 50 then 25 mbs, the current standard of 1Gbps is not achievable through this.

User avatar
telemark
Posts: 2534
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:35 am

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by telemark » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:27 pm

greg24 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:17 pm
telemark wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:50 pm
RickBoglehead wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:06 pm
The OP has a modem. He can simply turn off the WiFi on it, or leave it on and name the Mesh network something else, as has been already pointed out.
The OP has a combo modem/router/WAP. Which unit should provide NAT and DHCP, the gateway or the mesh? Turning off the wifi probably won't solve that.
The OP can ignore NAT and DHCP.

Buy a Google Wifi package. Plug in. Enjoy.
Unless it turns out that the OP can't ignore these. This is not good general advice, though it may work on some networks.

User avatar
epicahab
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:29 pm
Location: Saint Peters, MO

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by epicahab » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:49 pm

Another strong vote for Google Wifi here, and there's a good upcoming Black Friday sale at Best Buy (289 for a 3-pack):

https://www.reddit.com/r/GoogleWiFi/com ... ck_friday/

User avatar
greg24
Posts: 3707
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:34 am

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by greg24 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:52 pm

telemark wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:27 pm
greg24 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:17 pm
telemark wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:50 pm
RickBoglehead wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:06 pm
The OP has a modem. He can simply turn off the WiFi on it, or leave it on and name the Mesh network something else, as has been already pointed out.
The OP has a combo modem/router/WAP. Which unit should provide NAT and DHCP, the gateway or the mesh? Turning off the wifi probably won't solve that.
The OP can ignore NAT and DHCP.

Buy a Google Wifi package. Plug in. Enjoy.
Unless it turns out that the OP can't ignore these. This is not good general advice, though it may work on some networks.
Most people can plug in Google Wifi without messing with NAT or DHCP. Unless the OP runs into issues, bringing it up just causes confusion.

fru-gal
Posts: 1186
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:48 pm
Location: New England

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by fru-gal » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:55 pm

What's backhaul?

lazydavid
Posts: 2583
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by lazydavid » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:57 pm

fru-gal wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:55 pm
What's backhaul?
How one mesh access point talks to another access point. Some mesh systems have the option of doing this over ethernet (best), some have a dedicated wireless channel that is not used for client traffic (good), some use the same radios that they use for client traffic (ok).

michaeljc70
Posts: 5786
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:22 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:47 am
fru-gal wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:36 am
Millennial wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:56 am
@fru-gal

A mesh system is a router.

Most provide Ethernet ports at the main node and satellite nodes, but check the specific one you plan to purchase for sure. They generally provide fewer Ethernet ports than a traditional router, but you can add an Ethernet switch (inexpensive) to add as many as you need. With a switch, the additional Ethernet ports will work the same as ports in a router would.
Thanks. What does a MESH system get you then, more area coverage?
What Is a Mesh Wi-Fi System?
Designed to blanket your home with wireless coverage, Wi-Fi systems are a hybrid of sorts, made up of several networking components. There's a main router that connects directly to your modem, and a series of satellite modules, or nodes, that you place throughout your house. They are all part of a single wireless network, and share the same SSID and password. Unlike range extenders, which communicate with the router via the 2.4GHz or 5GHz radio bands, most Wi-Fi system satellites use mesh technology to talk to the router and to each other. Each node serves as a hop point for other nodes in the system. This helps the nodes farthest from the router to deliver a strong Wi-Fi signal as they are talking to other nodes and not relying on one-to-one communications with the router.
It also gets you seamless transitioning from one node to another if you move around. I had an extender in my house. However, when I moved around it would not switch automatically even though my device had a poor connection to the node in the room I was first in. I would have to turn off wifi on my device to connect to the stronger signal. Now I can walk around and my devices connect to the strongest signal automatically after a few seconds.

mervinj7
Posts: 1153
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by mervinj7 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:53 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:29 pm
mervinj7 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm
The new Nest WiFi "Points" have no Ethernet ports but the main router does. Also the new router is backwards compatible with the older wired Google WiFi pucks. For those that still want (and can implement) a Ethernet backhaul, they can use multiple Nest Wifi Routers or a single Nest Wifi Router with the older pucks. Hope that makes sense.

Amazon sells a two-pack of Nest WiFi routers that can be hardwired together.
https://www.amazon.com/Google-Nest-WiFi ... B07YMJ57MB
That then gets back to my "significantly more expensive" point. The Nest router two-pack costs to the penny what I paid for four Google WiFi pucks. :) And since only the points have Google home functionality (the routers do not), this has you paying exactly double just for "pretty".
Fair enough on the price. I'm sure, like me, you purchased the older Google WiFi 4-pack for $300 from Costco. The similar equivalent would be the 3 pack for $289 from Best Buy that includes one router and two points. Google's argument is that the 3 pack Nest Wifi would cover a similar area to the old 4 Google Wifi packs since the antennas are better optimized with a larger range. Your particular use case is in unusual in that you have the need for a ethernet backhaul (hence the link for a dual router package). Most folks don't have that backhaul option, so I now recommend the newer Nest WiFis instead.

Personally, I plan on replacing my primary puck with a new Nest Wifi router. Hopefully, I can reduce my Google Wifi pucks by two (one primary, and one satellite) and install them at an older relative's house.

michaeljc70
Posts: 5786
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:09 pm

If you can make do with only 1 satellite, I just bought a Netgear Orbi ac1200 2 piece system for around $100. It claims to cover 2000 sq ft and has been good for me so far. They have bigger packages but they aren't as cost competitive. It is a new model that came out last month. Though the Google mesh system is probably good for most people, I found it lacking in some advanced features.

pyld76
Posts: 272
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:15 pm

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by pyld76 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:39 pm

fru-gal wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:55 pm
What's backhaul?
You have an access point providing signal to, say, your telephone.

When traffic hits the access point, it is "backhauled" to your router (and thus, presumably, the internet). That can be done wired (usually wired ethernet) or wirelessly (how wireless mesh systems do it, with a different radio than that servicing your phone).

hicabob
Posts: 2876
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 5:35 pm
Location: cruz

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by hicabob » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:51 pm

mpsz wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:14 am
WWJBDo wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:24 am
Other things to consider- you might want in your install to include a password free guest wifi account so you don't have to share your password. Most mesh networks allow you to do that.
Separate guest network is a good idea, but always password protect all WiFi networks. You can be liable if your connection is used for illegal purposes.
Yup, even a trusting person should set the wifi password. I used to leave mine open since house is on a few acres at end of a long driveway with really bad cell reception due to hills. The tree trimmers for the electric utility suddenly started showing up and parking almost every other day saying they had to look at a tree in the back or similar. Eventually I realized it was the open wifi that attracted them.

User avatar
pondering
Posts: 1051
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:04 pm
Location: 412-977-3526, originally 718-273-2422

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by pondering » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:10 pm

I love my google wi-fi mesh network.

Unfortunately I’ve spent hours trying to get Fios to play back my DVR on that network.
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text, I find speech easier than writing

mhalley
Posts: 7654
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:02 am

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by mhalley » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:28 pm

It is best to turn off the WiFi in the old modem/router to prevent interference between the 2 routers. You could make sure you put them on widely different channels, but turning off the old one ensures no problems.
Just as a single point of reference, I have a high end power line system to use on my ps4 downstairs and got anew orbi mesh system. Hooking my ps4 to the new orbi gave me faster speeds than the power line adapter. Course this varies a lot by your houses wiring.

Userdc
Posts: 269
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:30 am

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by Userdc » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:25 am

I messed around with extenders, different router placement, and just dealing with bad WiFi for years.

Then I bought a google WiFi and I have had zero issues since then. I had planned to set up a MoCA backhaul, but didn’t need it, I’m able to stream seamlessly anywhere in the house.

michaelingp
Posts: 231
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:46 pm

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by michaelingp » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:08 am

michaeljc70 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:09 pm
If you can make do with only 1 satellite, I just bought a Netgear Orbi ac1200 2 piece system for around $100.
Pay attention to the ACxxxx numbers. My old router was AC1200 which I thought was good enough since I thought my internet connection was only 60 Mbs. My new ORBI is AC3000 and the difference is huge and noticable. My wireless connections are now just as fast as my Ethernet connections. My Orbi AC3000 3-piece was close to $400.

michaeljc70
Posts: 5786
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:14 am

michaelingp wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:08 am
michaeljc70 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:09 pm
If you can make do with only 1 satellite, I just bought a Netgear Orbi ac1200 2 piece system for around $100.
Pay attention to the ACxxxx numbers. My old router was AC1200 which I thought was good enough since I thought my internet connection was only 60 Mbs. My new ORBI is AC3000 and the difference is huge and noticable. My wireless connections are now just as fast as my Ethernet connections. My Orbi AC3000 3-piece was close to $400.
Netgear has many things they call Orbi. It is confusing. Mine is the RBK12. It is a small rectangular router/satellite while most of the Orbis are more upright and oval shaped. The pricing is odd. I paid around $100 for a 2 piece system yet the 3 piece is around $230 and the 4 piece is $300. So, I can buy 2 2 piece systems for cheaper than the 3 piece system and throw one of the routers out.

Topic Author
Ykcor
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:42 am

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by Ykcor » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:24 pm

A lot of good info above. I was ready to,pull the trigger on the google wifi until I described my house to our IT guy who was doing some stuff at our office. We live in a five bedroom house with a basement. Also have a bonus room over the garage wher my daughter and S-I-L stay when the visit. Anyway the tech guy said I should get the ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh system. Any you guys have any experience with this mesh system?

Katietsu
Posts: 2509
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:48 am

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by Katietsu » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:06 am

fru-gal wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:21 am
Let me hijack this thread slightly. I have a cable modem, so one Ethernet socket which my septic system which only speaks Ethernet is currently using. I want wireless (I currently use a mobile hotspot for my laptop at an expensive rate), so I was going to get a router, but when I talked to those folks they said it would not have a long enough range to reach my generator which is wanting to speak wireless, so I was going to buy an extender.

Is a setup with my cable modem and MESH stuff a better way to go? I assume the MESH stuff slurps up my one Ethernet socket, does it provide other Ethernet sockets?

Thanks.
Just want to make sure that you understand that your first option would be to purchase a wireless router as discussed in your previous post plus an extender. The other option would be a mesh system.

I would suggest you revive your original thread on this on a topic and add the concern about the generator. Describe your home’s layout there along with the location of the generator.

Figuring_it_out
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:54 am

Re: Tech guys need help with Mesh wifi booster...

Post by Figuring_it_out » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:20 am

pyld76 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:36 am
Figuring_it_out wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:00 am
I'd give the booster route a try again.

...

Worth a try before going with the expense of a MESH.

Many times its just the setup that is the problem with repeaters. I must admit it took a few youtube video watchings to figure mine out. but saved a couple hundred dollars.
I say this with respect: there's a reason repeaters are cheap and mesh systems are not. They aren't doing the same things, and a properly tuned mesh system is going to result in a far, far better result for the vast majority of folks, including those who know what they are doing.

Most saliently: a repeater/extender is usually a single radio. It's going to be a half-duplex repeater. It will slow the entire network down. Most mesh systems operate with multiple radios, so while there _is_ bandwidth reduction versus APs with wired backhaul, it is significantly less disruptive than repeating wifi.

I'm speaking from experience, As long as you buy a quality unit ($30-$40) range with good reviews, it should be fine. I've been very satisfied with my repeater unit (TP-LINK from amazon). The main wifi is on one end of the house and booster is in the middle. All my workaround devices find the booster first. They dont switch to the router unless i'm sitting right next to the router.

Device speed tests over 30Mbits/sec ( have a 75mbit/sec I-net link) which for 99.9% of users is more than enough. Multiple netflix / roku streams and websurfing going on at the same time no problem.

Just offering a lower cost solution. I have more than the means to afford a $300 mesh system but choose not to since in my application it is not necessary. Offering that as a solution to not overspend for the simple problem he was trying to solve.

Post Reply