Organization supporting Veterans - Donation

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tranquility

Organization supporting Veterans - Donation

Post by tranquility » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:13 am

Given that its Veterans day tomorrow, I would like to make a donation to a good organization that supports Veterans and delivers the best bang for the buck. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

fishmonger

Re: Organization supporting Veterans - Donation

Post by fishmonger » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:26 am

Hopefully this doesn't get political and get shut down. Wife and I supported the Wounded Warrior Project for a number of years (both of my in-laws are retired career military). Needless to say there were a number of reports of the massive waste and corruption at WWP a few years ago, with the vast majority of donations going towards fancy dinners/salaries and very little to actually help vets. They have not gotten a dime from us since.

I would look for a local organization. One of the few benefits of the war on terror is we have a whole new generation of those who have served and the number of local groups that serve them has multiplied rapidly in the last couple of years. You will get a lot more bang for your buck keeping your money local, which I find to be true across almost all charitable giving, regardless of mission.

Swansea

Post by Swansea » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:51 am

Which ever group you consider, please check their IRS 990 form to see how they spend their monies. You'd be surprised at the number of organizations who spend a small fraction of their revenue on programs.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:55 am

https://www.charitywatch.org/top-rated-charities

https://www.charitynavigator.org/

Watch out for similarly sounding names. Also watch out for an organization that is top rated as a national charity, but local branches/arms/offshoots may not be.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

kelvan80

Post by kelvan80 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:31 pm

Fisher House is a great organization. Our spouse groups work with them frequently. Basically Ronald McDonald house for veterans and service members receiving medical treatment. https://www.fisherhouse.org/

Navy Marine Corps Relief Society sees quite a few veterans and widows. They help with budget counseling and immediate debt relief in the form of grants and no interest loans. nmcrs.org

https://donate.wreathsacrossamerica.org/ sponsor a wreath or two on a veteran's grave

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:09 pm

Among the many, many "robo calls" I receive, many claim to be from/for Veteran related groups. I do not contribute to any such calls.
Watch out for similarly sounding names. Also watch out for an organization that is top rated as a national charity, but local branches/arms/offshoots may not be.
Yes! Very good advice!!

Perhaps, as well, organizations, such as places of worship, may have programs that help veterans as well.

mindboggling

Post by mindboggling » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:14 pm

kelvan80 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:31 pm
Fisher House is a great organization. Our spouse groups work with them frequently. Basically Ronald McDonald house for veterans and service members receiving medical treatment. https://www.fisherhouse.org/
Another vote here for Fisher House Foundation. Very efficient, no direct mail marketing. They provide housing for families of vets undergoing procedures at VA hospitals.
In broken mathematics, We estimate our prize, --Emily Dickinson

Topic Author
tranquility

Post by tranquility » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:36 pm

Thanks to you all for this information and these links. They are really useful.

CheCha54

Post by CheCha54 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:25 pm

I currently support these two. https://semperfifund.org/ and https://www.hfotusa.org/ . Fisher House is also one that I would support.

NxNW

Post by NxNW » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:29 pm

Another vote for fisher house. Very tangible benefit for vets in our community.

stumpy

Post by stumpy » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:15 pm

Fisher house is a great organization. My wife and I utilized it when our oldest was injured. I spent 2 months there, my wife spent 9 months over a 2 1/2 years. The volunteers and paid staff were great. There is probably some local organizations also. I volunteer with a couple. One is Wounded hero’s fund. Totally above board. My oldest volunteered as the CFO for a year while he was looking for work. He said all the books were in order. I also volunteer with a smaller organization Anglers Anonymous Central Coast. It is a about 15 people who raise money to take Vets out ocean fishing along the California central coast. Last October we were able to take 65 Veterans out. We provide all gear, bait, prizes for the biggest fish and a tri tip lunch afterwards. Thanks for thinking of supporting Vets.

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:18 pm

This is a great thread. Thank you for the wonderful ideas.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:25 pm

I've been giving a little each year to Homes for Our Troops, which custom builds houses for local disabled vets. I selected them because I volunteered on one of their projects and they continue to have projects in the region.

bampf

Post by bampf » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:34 pm

Also consider organizations that work to train veterans for the job market. There are a number of them out there. I have seen npower.org change lives. Teach someone to fish and all that...

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:32 am

stumpy wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:15 pm
Fisher house is a great organization. My wife and I utilized it when our oldest was injured. I spent 2 months there, my wife spent 9 months over a 2 1/2 years. The volunteers and paid staff were great. There is probably some local organizations also. I volunteer with a couple. One is Wounded hero’s fund. Totally above board. My oldest volunteered as the CFO for a year while he was looking for work. He said all the books were in order. I also volunteer with a smaller organization Anglers Anonymous Central Coast. It is a about 15 people who raise money to take Vets out ocean fishing along the California central coast. Last October we were able to take 65 Veterans out. We provide all gear, bait, prizes for the biggest fish and a tri tip lunch afterwards. Thanks for thinking of supporting Vets.
That is very nice to know - from someone who has benefited. Several years ago, there was a funding push for Fisher House in this area by local radio and TV stations and personalities.

Oilcans

Post by Oilcans » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:39 pm

Check out WoundedWarriorsFamilySupport.org. This is NOT affiliated with the other Wounded Warriors.

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:58 pm

A friend of mine was killed in Afghanistan. The Tunnel to Towers Foundation has been a great help to his wife and children. Charity Navigator has Tunnel to Towers as very highly rated.

https://tunnel2towers.org/

https://www.charitynavigator.org/

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:04 pm

I get a lot of mailings seeking donations allegedly from/for veterans - as well as a lot of Robocalls claiming the same thing.

As others have pointed out, so many of these organizations have very similar names - it can be difficult to know which are good/legitimate and which are not (or may not be).

Discussions like this can help all of us.

ThatGuy

Post by ThatGuy » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:18 pm

Work is the curse of the drinking class - Oscar Wilde

rotorhead

Post by rotorhead » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:28 pm

Some good recommendations above, especially the Fisher House.

Here is helpful link for more info. http://www.military-money-matters.com/c ... tings.html