Fruit Fly Problem

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
runner9

Fruit Fly Problem

Post by runner9 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:16 am

We started having fruit flies in our kitchen at the beginning of August. I've tried apple vinegar with dish soap, bleach down the drain, trying to not leave dirty dishes laying on counters and in sinks and killing them with my hand. Limited success.

I need to get rid of them. We now see them in other rooms, specifically the bathroom but also rooms without water. Suggestions most appreciated. Thank you!

JPH

Re: Fruit Fly Problem

Post by JPH » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:30 am

Are you sure they're not fungus gnats? Those resemble fruit flies. They reproduce in the soil of potted plants that are kept moist. We had them in potted orchids. They can be controlled simply by allowing the soil to dry out a bit between waterings. For true fruit flies?? Get a lizard?
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

Topic Author
runner9

Post by runner9 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:51 am

JPH wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:30 am
Are you sure they're not fungus gnats? Those resemble fruit flies. They reproduce in the soil of potted plants that are kept moist. We had them in potted orchids. They can be controlled simply by allowing the soil to dry out a bit between waterings. For true fruit flies?? Get a lizard?
I'm not sure. We only have one potted plant in the house and haven't seen any around it. They seem to prefer food, the sink, etc.

TimDex

Post by TimDex » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:11 am

I had a bunch this fall, and used water glasses filled with half warm water, half red wine vinegar and a big shot of dish soap. Ended the problem.
"All man's miseries derive from not being able to sit quietly in a room alone. " -- Pascal

Yooper16

Post by Yooper16 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:42 am

Have you cleaned the gunk out of your drain lines? Take you traps off the drain line--- if you have a dishwasher hooked up, take that drain line off and clean it out. Same for a garbage disposal. At minimum use a foaming drain cleaner-but removal, inspection and manual cleaning will be best.

Bleach may kill the live ones--- but will it kill any eggs deposited in the gunk---- I doubt it since even many present day pesticides do not do a good job on eggs.

Many people put a small waste container in the sink cabinet. If the drain goes thro the bottom of the sink cabinet, if the hole is largish, a piece of food could somehow have gotten thro to underneath the cabinet and providing a food source/nesting spot you cannot see.

For a test----- put some tape over the drain with the sticky side down. Wait a day or at least as long as you can(overnight), and see if any little gnats are stuck to the tape. If so you have probably isolated the issue and that's where to start your efforts.

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:46 am

We had that problem a few years ago. Turned out there was a potato way back in the pantry that was the culprit.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:02 am

I somehow brought some into the house once. Horrible creatures but they didn't take root. Try to eliminate food sources. It could be time to clean the drains, clean the disposal, clean garbage cans, and to clean the pantry. If they appear to be young adults, ask them to pay rent.

Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:29 am

"Plans are useless; planning is indispensable.” - Dwight Eisenhower

sevenseas

Post by sevenseas » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:01 pm

I had this problem myself recently. I traced the cause to a faulty closing door on an in-cabinet trash can that my handyman had recently adjusted (he fixed a glide issue but this caused the door to pop back open a bit after closing, if I wasn't careful). In my experience, fruit flies (if this is in fact what yours are) typically won't stay around very long if there is no actual food source. Obviously you would also want to check for any stray pieces of fruit/veg that may have fallen or rolled somewhere, if you have not already done this.

Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:21 pm

As others have indicated, it's important to establish whether these are actually fruit flies, or some other type of small fly that can occur indoors. Fruit flies have prominent eyes and short, fat bodies. They are brownish in color. Many gnats are thin-bodied and black. Drain flies are fuzzy and bluish. They look like small moths.

If they are indeed fruit flies, you can make this:

https://www.squawkfox.com/diy-how-to-ge ... made-trap/

It's reusable, and you can take it outside and let the flies go if you like. Once in the trap, they won't leave. Just bait it with some of the fruit they love. Don't leave trapped flies for too many days, or they will start reproducing.

I have one on standby at work for when coworkers invariably leave food trash at their desks and then stay out of the office for days. It's never failed me.

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:28 pm

Op I use sticky fly strips purchased from 0.99 cents store it works beautifully, it gets moths, flying little ones and of course flies, also I have low powered UV light draws them to the strips.

mindgap

Post by mindgap » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:38 pm

runner9 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:16 am
I've tried apple vinegar with dish soap
How did you set up the trap? First, the mixture is important. Only add a drop of dish soap and not a whole lot. The fruit flies love the smell of vinegar but not the smell of dish soap. Second, did you cover the glass with the mixture with some saran wrap and put a little whole in the middle? Thats an important step because the flies can enter the glass but can't escape anymore. Try it. If set up right it will trap lots of fruit flies.

And of course you must find the source. Usually its rotten fruits or veggies.

Good luck!

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:50 pm

Here is a similar question that I posted earlier this year.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=284424&hilit=fly

cheesepep

Post by cheesepep » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:18 pm

ACV does the trick. I had a very interesting scenario a few weeks ago. I was moving from house A to house B and left house A empty for 2 days and when I came back to one room in house A, there was at least 50 houseflies inside the one room. From very large, mature flies to the occasional small fly, but most were mature. The room had previously no flies inside and was sealed (windows closed, doors closed). The only idea I had was I recently bought a potted plant (but 2 weeks prior) and somehow the flies grew from there, but as to how did they mature so quickly and what did they eat to make them grow so fast, I have no idea. I quickly killed them using a blue UV light an electric fly swatter. They were unbelievably stupid making them easy targets.

random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:26 pm

I'd recommend getting one of these, and turning them on in the evening when you're done for the day. Just remember, don't look at the UV light, as it's not good for your eyes.

https://www.amazon.com/Aspectek-UPGRADE ... ZTEYFPM9ED

Living Free

Post by Living Free » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:50 pm

I'd make sure there's no source of water that's unsealed. I've had problems with these twice. Once was a sink that the prior owners removed and left open pipes near the washer/dryer which was apparently a breeding ground. The other seemed to be a crack in the shower tile (or rather inadequate grout between slabs of granite or marble or whatever kind of rock it is).
Cutting and sealing the pipes and caulking the cracks got rid of the problem. Source control is key.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:10 pm

You could run a comparison of vinegar to honey.

Flies
Source:: xkcd
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:16 pm

If they are fruit flies, take a cup, fill it 2/3 way with cider vinegar, and add a few drops of dish soap.
They will be attracted to the cider vinegar and the dish soap will create surface tension which will pull them down.
It works really well for me.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:47 am

runner9 wrote:
We started having fruit flies in our kitchen at the beginning of August. I've tried apple vinegar with dish soap, bleach down the drain, trying to not leave dirty dishes laying on counters and in sinks and killing them with my hand. Limited success.

I need to get rid of them. We now see them in other rooms, specifically the bathroom but also rooms without water. Suggestions most appreciated. Thank you!
You need to find the source and deal with it there.

Look for food stuck somewhere out of site. A spoiled potato, onion, cantaloupe, etc.
Check for any indoor plants and see if they are swarming.
Don't be a lemming.

jpelder

Post by jpelder » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:13 am

LadyGeek wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:10 pm
You could run a comparison of vinegar to honey.

Flies
Source:: xkcd
There really is an xkcd for everything.

I've had a lot of luck with a bit of vinegar (or just old wine) in the bottom of a wine bottle with a funnel stuck in the top. Also bleach your drains and make sure all food sources are gone.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:47 am

runner9 wrote:
For the occasional problem, we use the above methods but once they got established while we were gone for a month in another country and none of those methods made a dent in the population. I finally just grabbed the flyswatter and made rounds a couple times a day swatting anyone I could. I especially went after the bigger fatter ones figuring they were the ones that were probably ready to lay more eggs. After a couple days of this the population went down and after about a week we got them all. Years ago my mother had a similar bad infestation but she went the hire a fumigator route which also worked well. I didn't go that route because I didn't want all the chemicals unless I absolutely had no other choice.

Topic Author
runner9

Post by runner9 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:22 pm

Thanks all.

I put out 4 cups, 2 each with apple vinegar and red wine vinegar. Very little interest. Even took the tops off, I think the 4 traps have a total of 3 dead insects.

A suggestion here has led me to having the vacuum cleaner ready and I'm sucking them up as I see them landing. I've gotten a good many and am hopeful this is the way to go.

Our house is pretty clean, we did get a new trash can when this started with a tighter lid. I also clean a lot when it first started.

I'll keep at it with the vacuum and cross my fingers.

sarahjane

Post by sarahjane » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:22 pm

I went through the wine/vinegar,etc. and then found out that you bring fruit flies into the house with you from the market.

Immediately rinse fruit when you get it home and fruit flies be gone!

Beck49

Post by Beck49 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:06 pm

Fruit flies can be frustrating, but also an odd source of entertainment. Yes, to the vinegar and soap trap. We actually just put it in a shallow bowl. Once they make the plunge, they can't escape the soap. The annoying part is when they just sit on the edge and look at the liquid. Swatting them is very difficult. Here's where it gets entertaining. Get a spray bottle with water. Then if you spray them just right, you will simply push them into the liquid. I had quite the body count. Don't spray too hard or you blow them across the bowl and they live another day. However, you can see the number gradual diminish over a couple of days, and soon you have no more visitors (assuming you've eliminated the food source). Good hunting.

rcjchicity

Post by rcjchicity » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:27 pm

Cheez-It Guy wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:21 pm
As others have indicated, it's important to establish whether these are actually fruit flies, or some other type of small fly that can occur indoors. Fruit flies have prominent eyes and short, fat bodies. They are brownish in color. Many gnats are thin-bodied and black. Drain flies are fuzzy and bluish. They look like small moths.

If they are indeed fruit flies, you can make this:

https://www.squawkfox.com/diy-how-to-ge ... made-trap/

It's reusable, and you can take it outside and let the flies go if you like. Once in the trap, they won't leave. Just bait it with some of the fruit they love. Don't leave trapped flies for too many days, or they will start reproducing.

I have one on standby at work for when coworkers invariably leave food trash at their desks and then stay out of the office for days. It's never failed me.
+1 for making sure you know exactly what type of fly it is. When we bought our house, we noticed after a few months an issue with what we thought were fruit flies, but we couldn't find a source. They were eventually determined to be drain flies (aka sewer gnats) from a cracked sewer drain pipe.