House for Sale--How Much to Tell Potential Buyer

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
DTalos

House for Sale--How Much to Tell Potential Buyer

Post by DTalos » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:09 pm

There are some houses in my development that are located adjacent to a business. The business owner employs a landscaper to blow the parking lot daily in the early morning with a loud leaf blower. The noise ordinance in my city does not apply to leaf blowers or landscaping/construction, therefore the business owner is not violating any city ordinances. The business owner knows he has the upper hand and that our development is powerless and will not change practices.

Owners have moved in to our development and one has to assume the seller did not disclose the daily very loud leaf blower noise (which is required by on the seller disclosure form or else seller could be sued), because shortly after they move-in, they either complain verbally or by email to the HOA (as if it's the HOA's responsibility) about the noise. The HOA Board basically tells these people the CCR's are powerless to regulate adjacent private property and despite repeated requests to the owner, he has not and will not change practices. Knowing that their house is now devalued, these people generally become difficult to deal with, because they will promulgate many ways (some not being in good business judgement) to spend HOA money to raise the value of their house, when most homeowners want to keep our reserves healthy.

If one of these particular houses are for sale, what do you all think of initiating a conversation with people after they exit the open house, praising the neighborhood, but letting them know of the daily leaf blower noise?

Dottie57

Re: House for Sale--How Much to Tell Potential Buyer

Post by Dottie57 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:15 pm

DTalos wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:09 pm
There are some houses in my development that are located adjacent to a business. The business owner employs a landscaper to blow the parking lot daily in the early morning with a loud leaf blower. The noise ordinance in my city does not apply to leaf blowers or landscaping/construction, therefore the business owner is not violating any city ordinances. The business owner knows he has the upper hand and that our development is powerless and will not change practices.

Owners have moved in to our development and one has to assume the seller did not disclose the daily very loud leaf blower noise (which is required by on the seller disclosure form or else seller could be sued), because shortly after they move-in, they either complain verbally or by email to the HOA (as if it's the HOA's responsibility) about the noise. The HOA Board basically tells these people the CCR's are powerless to regulate adjacent private property and despite repeated requests to the owner, he has not and will not change practices. Knowing that their house is now devalued, these people generally become difficult to deal with, because they will promulgate many ways (some not being in good business judgement) to spend HOA money to raise the value of their house, when most homeowners want to keep our reserves healthy.

If one of these particular houses are for sale, what do you all think of initiating a conversation with people after they exit the open house, praising the neighborhood, but letting them know of the daily leaf blower noise?
I would mind my own business. If YOU sell a house inthe development, disclose the problem to potential buyers of your home.

ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:45 pm

DTalos wrote:
Why is it any of your business?

Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:51 pm

ARoseByAnyOtherName wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:45 pm
DTalos wrote:

It's not my direct business, since I am not the seller of the house. However since I am on the Board of the HOA, homeowners who buy these houses tend to gripe to the HOA about the noise and be unsatisfied (as evidenced by numerous proposals to spend HOA money they think will increase the value of their house). Wouldn't you as a potential buyer want to know right up front, so you don't waste your time making an offer, paying for a home inspection and then at the last minute the seller (if he/she is honest) discloses the noise, and that factor will likely cancel most offers, in the end wasting time?

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:59 pm

DTalos wrote:
...... noise ordinance in my city does not apply to leaf blowers or landscaping/construction, therefore the business owner is not violating any city ordinances. .....
what do you all think of initiating a conversation with people after they exit the open house, praising the neighborhood, but letting them know of the daily leaf blower noise?
What city is this :?: :?: :?:

This is nuts. The noise ordinance on the books does not apply to Leal Blowers or Landscaping? Are you saying the leaf blowing noise is occurring prior to 7 am? That is nuts

You, and all the neighbors you can enlist, plus any other interested parties within your city, should file to be heard at the next meeting of your city council that a change needs to be made in local noise ordinance.

Unless you have absolute morons serving as your elected representatives on the council = they should take your request for amendment to the current ordinances to cover this problem as completely valid and with merit.

If, it should happen you have a couple of imbeciles (or those with financial interest in the business making the noise) on your local city council, you may have to engage a lawyer to navigate for you. But, this sounds like such a simple slam dunk from what you say, legal fees would be very minimal I would think.

Hasn't anyone else involved in this suggested getting the noise ordinance changed?

awval999

Post by awval999 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:01 pm

I can think of many ways this could end bad for you, so I would take the advice of others in this thread and mind your own business.

FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:03 pm

There's a chance you incur some legal liability if you interfere with someone else's business transaction (or attempted transaction) in the way you propose.

If you really are that concerned about it, can you find a way to include a warning in the association documents that potential buyers would see? Maybe not something detailed, but a requirement that owners notify potential buyers of noise nuisances, in its own bolded and numbered paragraph so buyers will see and inquire? Or even with the leaf blower as an example? Seeking this might cause issues with other owners, though.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:08 pm

If I was selling my house, and you interfered in my sale like that, I would sue the pants off you. Since you are also on the HOA board, I would sue it also.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:08 pm

DTalos wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:51 pm
DTalos wrote:

It's not my direct business, since I am not the seller of the house. However since I am on the Board of the HOA, homeowners who buy these houses tend to gripe to the HOA about the noise and be unsatisfied (as evidenced by numerous proposals to spend HOA money they think will increase the value of their house). Wouldn't you as a potential buyer want to know right up front, so you don't waste your time making an offer, paying for a home inspection and then at the last minute the seller (if he/she is honest) discloses the noise, and that factor will likely cancel most offers, in the end wasting time?
Being on a HOA board is a thankless job. I'm not convinced the leaf blower is related to the other requests. In my community we have recent buyers who paid over $1M for their home and original owners who paid $250K. Most of the long time owners are well aware of the current property value, but we have a few holdouts who want to invest in it like its still a $250K home not a $1M home. We do try to modernize the common areas to keep them up to the standards of the current sales prices and get support from most owners to do that.

redrocker

Post by redrocker » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:13 pm

DTalos wrote:
... one has to assume the seller did not disclose the daily very loud leaf blower noise (which is required by on the seller disclosure form or else seller could be sued)
Is that really a legal requirement though?

I mean, for instance my neighborhood has very early trash pick up twice a week at 5am and it is LOUD. Is a seller actually expected to disclose that? I've only bought, haven't sold yet, but of the seller disclosure forms I have seen I haven't even noticed a place where you are required to remark on neighborhood issues.

I'll take it further: a recommendation I got from my buyer's agent on my first purchase was to park outside the house I was interested in and sit in the car for a prolonged period of time at various intervals during the day to get a feel for potential nuisances. This implies to me that the leaf blower situation falls in the domain of a buyer doing their due diligence.

Maybe it's different by state?

Mako

Post by Mako » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:22 pm

I guess I don’t understand why a seller is legally required to disclose that a neighboring property owner regularly does something that is apparently perfectly legal.

I have no idea of the merits, but I agree with others that you asking for yourself and the HOA to be sued.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:23 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:15 pm
DTalos wrote:

I would mind my own business. If YOU sell a house inthe development, disclose the problem to potential buyers of your home.
I agree with this advice.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:28 pm

redrocker wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:13 pm

.......my neighborhood has very early trash pick up twice a week at 5am and it is LOUD. .....
OMG. I can't believe what I am reading here. 5 am? Why are you putting up with this abuse?

Do you live in some unincorporated area, i.e., no local regs or ordinances within your county to control noise?

If a bunch of teenagers or college kids are having a loud, drunken party going on at 1 or 2 in the morning, blaring out loud music, is that also allowed where you live?

This is just unbelievable to me. Not just what the OP wrote. But what others have posted they are putting up with. :shock: Without seeking relief from their local elected bodies who control these things. :shock: :shock:

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:32 pm

Our township has a noise ordinance. I have used it to stop trash pickups at 4:35am for businesses 1/2 mile away. Trash company knows, does it, then changes the route when I catch them. Township Supervisor was no help.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:36 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:32 pm
Our township has a noise ordinance.....Trash company knows, does it, then changes the route when I catch them. Township Supervisor was no help.
Same problem here, just dumpster emptying, not regular trash pickup.

Only I got the police involved, it is under their jurisdiction to enforce violations as a M.I. (Municipal Infraction, $500 fine in this case)

No more 5 or 6 am wakeups from these irresponsible axhole drivers at the dumpster company :happy :happy :happy :happy

ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:45 pm

DTalos wrote:
DTalos wrote:

By your own admission there is nothing illegal or in violation of any ordinance that is happening.

So there is nothing for the seller to disclose to anyone. All that's happening here is that you're considering poking your nose into other people's business, when you really shouldn't, just to save yourself a little annoyance.

If I was the one selling the house and you interfered in any way I would absolutely - at a minimum - sue you and the HOA Board.

Your risk vs. reward doesn't add up here.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:49 pm

DTalos wrote:
Let me see if I understand correctly.

You sit on the board of your HOA. And you are proposing to interfere in the sale of units within your HOA?

I'm stunned.

Before you go down that path, I'd suggest you have a chat with your HOA's lawyer. I'm sure they will tell you to stay out of it, at the risk of a lawsuit against you personally, against the Board, and against the HOA as a whole. And I'd suggest you make sure that your D&O Liability insurance is paid in full.

I'm on the Board of our HOA. If one of the other Board members proposed something like this, I'd ask for their resignation. If they didn't agree, I'd call for a vote of the entire HOA.

If you are this annoyed about homeowner gripes, perhaps you shouldn't be on the Board.
Don't be a lemming.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:49 pm

drawpoker wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:28 pm
redrocker wrote:

.......my neighborhood has very early trash pick up twice a week at 5am and it is LOUD. .....
OMG. I can't believe what I am reading here. 5 am? Why are you putting up with this abuse?

Do you live in some unincorporated area, i.e., no local regs or ordinances within your county to control noise?

If a bunch of teenagers or college kids are having a loud, drunken party going on at 1 or 2 in the morning, blaring out loud music, is that also allowed where you live?

This is just unbelievable to me. Not just what the OP wrote. But what others have posted they are putting up with. :shock: Without seeking relief from their local elected bodies who control these things. :shock: :shock:
+1. Oh no, a noise I can hear inside my home...in the morning? Are there kids treating your neighborhood like a playground in the early afternoon too (that's literally what I had a past neighbor call the cops for)? That's definitely the type of stuff we all need to call the police for.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:57 pm

Suggest you MYOB especially as a HOA board member to avoid liability.

Has the HOA tried a little “honey” to address the problem with the next door business owner or the landscaper? Perhaps offer to pay a portion of the leaf blowing bill (owner) or offer a bonus (landscaper) in exchange for a later start time on the leaf blowing? You shouldn’t have to but if all else fails usually cash can be persuasive...

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:13 pm

People really complain about stuff like this? We sleep with a sound machine, overnight noise provlems solved for less than 20 bucks. Seems people should not move next to a business if they want quiet.

As with the other advice, absolutely do not interfere, either as a neighbor or a HOA member.

atikovi

Post by atikovi » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:32 pm

DTalos wrote:
This is pure conjecture. I assume they leaf blow during working hours, so if the seller is away at work when they blow the seller has no idea of the issue, or at least not enough to require them to disclose anything. Not that they would have to disclose it anyway. MYOB.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:17 pm

atikovi wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:32 pm
........I assume they leaf blow during working hours, ........
No, that's incorrect. Did you read the thread? OP clearly posted the problem is that the leaf blowing takes places in the early morning hours.

The real oddity here is that, believe it or not, the OP also says that leaf blowing and other landscaping noise does not come under their local municipal noise ordinances.

You know, the ones that customarily prohibit such crap from happening, noise disturbances prior to 7 a.m. So residents (taxpayers) are not awakened and deprived of sleep.

Post by 123 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:12 am

Could the HOA post a notice in a community area that potential buyers will see that says something like "Residents are advised to adjust their windows to diminish the impact of early morning maintenance (leaf blowing) at adjacent businesses"? Perhaps simple signage at complex entrance or community area (pool) if it has one.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:16 am

How about finding out where the business owner resides and giving them a taste of their own medicine a few nights a week?

Ragnoth

Post by Ragnoth » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:51 am

This is not a disclosure problem. The solution is to get them to stop making noise at all hours.

You could lobby to change the ordinance. Alternately, this has all the makings of a common law tort suit for nuisance. It would depend on the law in your state... but anyone in your HOA with a half-decent legal training could look into it. Chances are you could take it to the court with no need to rely on the city.

celia

Post by celia » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:58 am

As an HOA Board member, you should be representing what the majority of your owners want. If many homeowners are bothered by the noise, that seems like a problem you should be addressing, on their behalf. Maybe you could buy the landscape company quieter equipment, plant some shrubbery to absorb some of the noise, work with the business, work with the city, and/or support a candidate(s) running for city council. Maybe even one of your homeowners would consider running for office.

csm

Post by csm » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:01 am

DTalos wrote:
The business owner employs a landscaper to blow the parking lot daily in the early morning with a loud leaf blower. The noise ordinance in my city does not apply to leaf blowers or landscaping/construction, therefore the business owner is not violating any city ordinances.
The OP does not say what time he is referring to as the "early morning" nor whether the noise ordinance that "does not apply to leaf blowing or landscaping" refers to the dB level during non-restricted hours.

In our neighborhood, which is a mixed-use area (commercial and residential), there is a noise ordinance regarding noise levels (dB) which are different from sundown until 7 am vs. from 7 am to sundown. Even from 7 am to sundown, the allowable dB level is lower than a leaf blower, so landscaping equipment (and some other noises like delivery trucks) are exempted from being considered a violation.

Therefore, at 7 am on the dot, every morning, the loud leaf blowers start up outside our bedroom window. Loud, yes; early morning, yes (depending on your perspective); irritating, yes; violation of noise ordinance, no. And the trucks that empty the dumpsters are permitted from 6 am according to the county ordinance.

Many of the residents have asked for some consideration and that the leaf blowing start later, at least some days. But because there are restaurants and businesses in the area, they ignore requests from residents and continue to blow leaves as early as allowable by the ordinance in deference to the businesses. Residents reaching out to the county have failed to achieve any change to the ordinance.

Unless the OP clarifies what he means by "in the early morning" or cites the specific 'exemption' for landscaping equipment, it is difficult to assess the actual situation. My guess is that it is something similar to the situation I've described unless the OP states to the contrary.

redrocker

Post by redrocker » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:06 am

drawpoker wrote:
redrocker wrote:

I put up with 5am trash pickup because the alternative might be *no* trash pickup. I routinely hear people out drinking late in the street. It's billed as a "benefit" to living here. Noise ordinances are meaningless when police can't be bothered with even more serious offenses like assault or worse. Our local elected bodies are more concerned with luring tourists into town than drafting law that puts its citizens first. It's the reality of living in New Orleans but I suspect other tourism-trade cities struggle with this.
stoptothink wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:49 pm
+1. Oh no, a noise I can hear inside my home...in the morning? Are there kids treating your neighborhood like a playground in the early afternoon too (that's literally what I had a past neighbor call the cops for)? That's definitely the type of stuff we all need to call the police for.
On a more practical note, how can I call the police to report someone on foot for being loud in the street in the late evening when, by the time the cop arrives (IF they arrive) the offender is out of range?
runner3081 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:13 pm
People really complain about stuff like this? We sleep with a sound machine, overnight noise provlems solved for less than 20 bucks.
This is the solution I've been forced to arrive at. One does get used to it, somewhat. I sure hope I won't be expected to disclose the various annoyances that I deal with on a regular basis.

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:31 am

You won't believe this but I had a disclosure on my buyers sheet that listed a neighbor. It seems he sued everyone for just about anything, we get along fine I only see him when he is out mending fences. I guess the old saying that good fences make good neighbors apply. By the way the disclosure never said anything about the 30 rattlesnakes each year we see, or the passing drug mules. :beer

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:54 am

redrocker wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:06 am
drawpoker wrote:
redrocker wrote:

I put up with 5am trash pickup because the alternative might be *no* trash pickup. I routinely hear people out drinking late in the street. It's billed as a "benefit" to living here. Noise ordinances are meaningless when police can't be bothered with even more serious offenses like assault or worse. Our local elected bodies are more concerned with luring tourists into town than drafting law that puts its citizens first. It's the reality of living in New Orleans but I suspect other tourism-trade cities struggle with this.
stoptothink wrote:
On a more practical note, how can I call the police to report someone on foot for being loud in the street in the late evening when, by the time the cop arrives (IF they arrive) the offender is out of range?
runner3081 wrote:
People really complain about stuff like this? We sleep with a sound machine, overnight noise provlems solved for less than 20 bucks.
This is the solution I've been forced to arrive at. One does get used to it, somewhat. I sure hope I won't be expected to disclose the various annoyances that I deal with on a regular basis.
When we sell our home we are definitely going to tell interested buyers that there are a bunch of kids in the neighborhood who play and make noise, sometimes the trash gets picked up early in the morning, and that we once had to knock on a neighbor's door because we could hear their movie late at night. The horror, it's practically unlivable.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:07 am

redrocker wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:06 am
drawpoker wrote:
redrocker wrote:

stoptothink wrote:
runner3081 wrote:
"Noise ordinances are meaningless when police can't be bothered with even more serious offenses like assault or worse."
If your local police cannot be bothered with assault or worse you would be best to move out ASAP.

FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:19 am

Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:45 pm
DTalos wrote:
DTalos wrote:

If I was the one selling the house and you interfered in any way I would absolutely - at a minimum - sue you and the HOA Board.
I'm curious to know what would be your maximum...

redrocker

Post by redrocker » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:30 am

smitcat wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:07 am
"Noise ordinances are meaningless when police can't be bothered with even more serious offenses like assault or worse."
If your local police cannot be bothered with assault or worse you would be best to move out ASAP.
Agreed. Only personal circumstances keep me here. But I suspect this city isn't the only one with understaffed/underpaid/apathetic law enforcement so I also bear in mind the grass isn't *always* greener.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:50 am

redrocker wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:30 am
smitcat wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:07 am
Agreed. Only personal circumstances keep me here. But I suspect this city isn't the only one with understaffed/underpaid/apathetic law enforcement so I also bear in mind the grass isn't *always* greener.
These things are very easy to research ahead of time but if your statement is fairly accurate there is no reason to live there.
Certainly the grass is very much greener in the half dozen places we have lived.

9liner

Post by 9liner » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:06 am

I can promise that if I found out you meddled in the sale of my house and it negatively affected the sale, it would not end well for you or the HOA.

This is precisely why I will never live in a community with an HOA. MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:46 am

This thread has run its course and is locked (contentious, question answered, no added value to continue). See: Locked Topics
Moderators or site admins may lock a topic (set it so no more replies may be added) when a violation of posting policy has occurred. Occasionally, even if there are no overt violations of posting policy, a topic (or thread) will reach a point where the information content of the discussion has been essentially exhausted and further replies are much more likely to cause distress to the community than add anything of value.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.