Xfinity mobile: sf bay area

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Wannaretireearly

Xfinity mobile: sf bay area

Post by Wannaretireearly »

Opinions please?
We would be moving from Verizon.
Plans seem cheap(er). Trying to snag deals on a phone.

Lmk if you have experience either as a customer or potentially looking for Turkey day deals.

Thank you !
Buy Low, Sell High
02nz

Re: Xfinity mobile: sf bay area

Post by 02nz »

It runs on Verizon so coverage should be same. There may be some de-prioritization. They had $250 gift card deals on the new iPhones last month, maybe there'll be something similar for Black Friday.
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

Works well for us. We are low data users, so quite cheap. International coverage is convenient, though data is expensive when used overseas.
Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 »

Topic moved to Personal Consumer Issues.
Topic Author
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

Thanks. Comparisons with google fi?

Choosing/switching carriers is such a commitment. Lol.
Buy Low, Sell High
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

Wannaretireearly wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:30 pm Thanks. Comparisons with google fi?

Choosing/switching carriers is such a commitment. Lol.
For us, we would end up paying more with Google fi. Our bill last month for two of us was $15 total. My wife tends to fit under 1GB per month data, and I often manage under the free 100MB (difference between her using facebook, and me on bogleheads :) ). We both mostly use wifi, though. If we used data more, especially on international travel, then Google fi would be a definite winner, but we just turn off data roaming when overseas; we preload maps and only use cell data on rare occasions.

Xfinity appears to have full coverage on Verizon partner cell towers in the US, something that a lot of MNVOs don't have (or don't have for data), which can be handy when traveling in the boonies.
davehica

Post by davehica »

I’m also in the Bay Area and I switched my wife over from T-Mobile about 6 months ago. Saves about $25/month and the reception and data speeds are both significantly better. I’m really happy with them so far.
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

Oh, and Xfinity seems to do promotions maybe twice a year where they offer significant hardware discounts for bringing a new line over, like the $250 cash card for buying a new iphone with them last month, or a free low/mid-range android phone. I haven't tracked closely how often these offers show up; I missed them when we moved.
dgm

Post by dgm »

been using them for a while now.
verizon -> xfinity transfer
good. no complaints. a few more dropped calls but almost the same.
literally saving almost a thousand dollars per yr on my household mobile bill.

do it and you will never look back. you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner though.