After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tiburblium
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:28 pm

After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by tiburblium » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:16 am

Here is the situation, I appreciate your thoughts:

I left a good job at a small company (product based, software company), I was only there for 2 years but I made an impact and was well liked by most people in the company, including the companies senior leadership. The compensation was exceptionally good, better than anything else I could find in the area, and working time/location was totally flexible including a very liberal WFH policy (WFH whenever you want).

While a smart person would have been content to stay here as long as possible, I did not feel challenged with the work and wanted to find better opportunities which provided better "professional and personal growth". After looking for 3, I had a few potential offers, however all of them were 15-25% below my current compensation. Despite this, I decide to take the offer that was a 15% paycut to base (20% cut when considering TC) at a small tech consulting company, it also offered better technical challenges and much more variety of work. I had a feeling in my gut that this was a bad decision, but I went for it...when I put in my notice my boss who I had a very good relationship with was both surprised and forthcoming immediately with anything he could do to help change my mind. The entire time during my notice period my gut was telling me to stay. Fast forward to starting at the new company, my gut feeling is that I don't want to stay here, I realize that some of this is just emotions from new people/place/expectations, however I never had this feeling with previous job changes. Also I've come to find out a few things, such as compensation being limited/capped by client bill rates, a much different engineering culture than I am used to, and much less flexibility with WFH and scheduling. Though, they are being reasonably accommodating for me.

I now find myself at a mental crossroads, my old boss, who is a VP and is the top level decision maker for hiring had told me to come back when I was ready. I scheduled time to talk to him next week, in person, 2 weeks into my new job. My plan is to feel out my options for coming back, I believe the probability of him giving me an offer is very good...however, even if he does, I want to make sure this isn't a terrible plan. A few concerns have crossed my mind:

My motivations for going back:

1.) Better TC and benefits (25% better)
2.) Better perceived work life balance
3.) Better commute (30 min vs 45 min)
4.) Less pressure to deliver "results" in short time frames, the work at my old company would be done over much larger periods of time and is more suited to my personality.
5.) A less hyperconnected culture, I think the new company has a great culture of hyper communication...unfortunately this just does not fit with my personality. I need more "personal space" than I believe is customary at this new company, more time to work on my own.

My concerns with going back:

1.) I would be burning (nuking?) a bridge with my new employer, leaving after 2-4 weeks
2.) I would have a very small stint on my work history: 2-4 weeks. I realize I could leave this off my resume in the future, but I would have to disclose it during background checks as I'm sure it would surface. Would this be a career killer in the future?
3.) Would I ever regain trust with senior leadership?
4.) Would I ever regain trust with people I work with at the company? In this case, I think most would just joke a bit at first which is fine, most folks there have a good sense of humor.
5.) Staff believing that I got some kind of special treatment/deal in order to come back?
6.) Feeling as though I am on thin ice for the foreseeable future

User avatar
ClevrChico
Posts: 1557
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:24 pm

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by ClevrChico » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:23 am

Better pay and environment? Going back seems like a great idea. I've seen people do it all the time.

User avatar
JoeRetire
Posts: 3905
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by JoeRetire » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:27 am

Don't go back. You left for some reasons. Those reasons have not changed.

If your new job isn't what you want (and you really need to give it more than 2 weeks)- find a new, new job.
Don't be a lemming.

User avatar
galving
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:47 pm
Location: US Gulf Coast

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by galving » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:36 am

Questions:
Why did you leave your old employer? Because you were comfortable and not being challenged?

Why do you want to leave your new employer?
Because you are uncomfortable? Are you learning and growing?
(After 2 weeks it would be challenging to accurately assess the situation.)

The new company was always going to be different and have both positives and negatives about the culture.
Does the new position meet your strategic goal of growing/learning more/developing your flexibility?
If not then why did you decide to take a pay cut to join?

Equally, its seems like a poor decision to reverse direction and end up back in the same role at your old company.
That said perhaps there's a solution with your old company that meets your need for development.

What have you learned from this situation? How will it change how you make decisions going forward?
Good luck

Goal33
Posts: 1025
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:30 pm

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by Goal33 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:47 am

tiburblium wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:16 am
My concerns with going back:

1.) I would be burning (nuking?) a bridge with my new employer, leaving after 2-4 weeks
2.) I would have a very small stint on my work history: 2-4 weeks. I realize I could leave this off my resume in the future, but I would have to disclose it during background checks as I'm sure it would surface. Would this be a career killer in the future?
3.) Would I ever regain trust with senior leadership?
4.) Would I ever regain trust with people I work with at the company? In this case, I think most would just joke a bit at first which is fine, most folks there have a good sense of humor.
5.) Staff believing that I got some kind of special treatment/deal in order to come back?
6.) Feeling as though I am on thin ice for the foreseeable future
No.

No.

No.

Probably, but doesn’t matter.

They will think you did, and you should try to get one.

Meh. Depends on company culture.
A man with one watch always knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never sure.

mortfree
Posts: 1849
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:06 pm

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by mortfree » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:49 am

Sorry to hear of this situation.

Jumping ship is scary.

How many conversations did you have with your boss at your previous job about wanting to be challenged more?

If 0, then it was communication failure on your end

If you did discuss and nothing came from it how can you ensure they will find a way to challenge you?

Also depending on your mindset and profession being challenged is overrated. Jobs can be boring so you have to find meaning in the job or in your personal life.

Sconie
Posts: 762
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:23 am
Location: Arizona

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by Sconie » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:53 am

I think it is fine to meet with and talk with your old boss-----maintain a good, open, relationship-----and see what happens. That said, there is a reason(s) you left your former employer and I believe that it would be advisable/a good idea to give your new employer some time-----a chance-----before jumping back to your former employer.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan

mathwhiz
Posts: 814
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:58 pm

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by mathwhiz » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:46 am

Don't be a flakey and quit after two weeks to return to your old boss. That just reflects poorly on you. You made your decision. Now live with it a little while to learn as much as possible and teach yourself a lesson not to do this again! You should give your new employer at least 6 months before you start applying and DO NOT take another pay cut. The precious early years of your career are when you are most able to increase your value in the market by job hopping. NEVER EVER EVER take a pay cut unless you are leaving a bad situation like a toxic work environment, bad performance and impending firing, layoffs, unethical/illegal work, etc.

m@ver1ck
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:18 pm

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by m@ver1ck » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:50 am

I did exactly this - went back to my old job after two weeks. Five years later not regretting it a bit. This was a company I had already worked for for around 8 years.
In my mind, I’d rather burn the new bridges rather than the old ones.

JoeJohnson
Posts: 408
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:34 pm

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by JoeJohnson » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:23 am

mathwhiz wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:46 am
Don't be a flakey and quit after two weeks to return to your old boss. That just reflects poorly on you. You made your decision. Now live with it a little while to learn as much as possible and teach yourself a lesson not to do this again! You should give your new employer at least 6 months before you start applying.
Staying for the sake of staying is not optimal. Would prefer the employee leaves at 2 weeks versus 6 months. Both the company and the employee will be better off.

Just went through an employee that quit after 2 weeks and I'm very happy we didn't waste our precious time and resources.

liberty53
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:31 am
Location: Boston Area

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by liberty53 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:35 am

I once sold everything in one country and moved to another country for a job. Had all the going away parties and donated most of our household goods we had accumulated.

Ended up hating the new job. My old boss asked if I wanted to come back and I agreed to do so. Moved back the country I had left a few months earlier. Needless to say our friends and colleagues were amused. My kids thought we had just gone on vacation for a few months.

I did another 8 years or so with the first company and enjoyed it.

During the interview process we don't really understand what the ground truth will be with the new job. Sometimes we make mistakes based on incomplete information.

If I were you I wouldn't worry about the negatives and would go back to the old job and see if they can help address your desires for more growth in the position.

zlandar
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:51 am

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by zlandar » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:41 am

You would be burning a bridge with your new employer.

Figure out what you want. It sounds like the pay and lifestyle is better at the old job but professionally the work is not that interesting.

If your old employer is willing to take you back that is a good sign that they don't bear a grudge.

tibbitts
Posts: 9372
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by tibbitts » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:04 am

I would wait for you meeting and see what happens then, since you'll probably know what your option actually are or aren't.

tvubpwcisla
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:09 am

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by tvubpwcisla » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:11 am

Sorry to hear about your dilemma. At the end of the day, please choose the route that you believe will make you the happiest. We had a Senior Manager leave our company not too long ago only to find them back in the office a month later. It would not be wise of me to tell you to go back to your old company or to stick with your original decision of leaving for a new opportunity. What I can tell you is that if you choose what is in your heart, you will not have any regrets. Best of luck to you.

Katietsu
Posts: 2520
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:48 am

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by Katietsu » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:13 am

I would go back to the old company as soon as possible if you know that is what you want. Don’t waste the new company’s time integrating you. Just make sure you are ready to commit to old company and plan on staying there awhile. What will burn bridges and appear flaky is if you leave old company again in 6 months.

Beehave
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by Beehave » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:25 am

I did this within company. Not a problem for me at all.

The fact that leaving was not a good choice for you and your actual return can be looked upon as a motivator for others to stay. I don't see that as a negative.

In general, your gut feeling is a very important factor to consider when it comes on strong.

fourkids
Posts: 199
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:40 am

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by fourkids » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:33 am

Go back.
Often, workers think the grass is greener elsewhere and it just isn't. you swap one group of problems for another.
I quit a job once after 2 weeks, and simply told them it wasn't a good fit and not what I expected. I'll never get another job there, but it didn't tarnish my reputation at all.
Go back to your old job, and simply tell anyone who asks, "I made a mistake. I'm happy to be back"

stlutz
Posts: 5466
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:08 am

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by stlutz » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:35 am

If your old job isn't filled yet, better to ask now...

User avatar
FrugalInvestor
Posts: 5271
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:20 am

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:51 am

I hired many people during my working career. Some of the best and most loyal were those who left and then decided to come back to the company. Once returning they appreciated the company more and advocated for it among the other employees.

I would not hesitate to return and think that both you and your employer will be pleased that you did. Your 'new' employer will likely respect you for recognizing your mistake early. They likely still have candidates in the hopper from your search.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

Kenny911
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:54 am

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by Kenny911 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:22 pm

Go back. Life is too short to be miserable. To be honest, I'm not sure why you left in the first place, it makes no sense. Why add stress and misery to your life when you have it well? If you want to be challenged in life, train for a marathon or learn a new language. Don't create your own problems.

shess
Posts: 265
Joined: Wed May 17, 2017 12:02 am

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by shess » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:44 pm

mathwhiz wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:46 am
Don't be a flakey and quit after two weeks to return to your old boss. That just reflects poorly on you. You made your decision. Now live with it a little while to learn as much as possible and teach yourself a lesson not to do this again!
I'm kind of agreeing with this. Not in a "Man up and stick it out" way, but more in a "Two weeks isn't long enough to know what's happening" way.

At the last job I had, it was really the first time in my career I had reached my "level", where I wasn't one of the top few most-capable person in the room. For the first three or four weeks, I was really quite underwater, I had to take notes in meetings and then research things to figure out what people were even talking about, and I was honestly nervous about whether the gap was too big. But eventually I found my sea legs and was able to keep up just fine. I just needed to grind on the problem for a bit.

I think it's reasonable to rope your prior boss in, though. Obviously, sticking with the new position is taking a risk, your old position might go away. But if you talk to your old boss, express some vague doubts, and then suggest "I'd like to see how I do with this for a couple months, does that make sense?", they might be happy to keep an open mind on returning.

Something to keep in mind is that if you return to your old position right now, you will most likely be locking yourself in to your old position. If you return in three (or six) months, you have a better chance of redefining your position a bit.

Wricha
Posts: 498
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:33 am

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by Wricha » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:26 pm

JoeJohnson wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:23 am
mathwhiz wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:46 am
Don't be a flakey and quit after two weeks to return to your old boss. That just reflects poorly on you. You made your decision. Now live with it a little while to learn as much as possible and teach yourself a lesson not to do this again! You should give your new employer at least 6 months before you start applying.
Staying for the sake of staying is not optimal. Would prefer the employee leaves at 2 weeks versus 6 months. Both the company and the employee will be better off.

Just went through an employee that quit after 2 weeks and I'm very happy we didn't waste our precious time and resources.
I don’t think mathwhiz is saying quit after 6 months but give the job a chance which I am inclined to agree (unless unethical etc.). You will learn more in the next six months about yourself then going back to your old job. You want to make yourself more marketable? Get as much varied experience as you can. I don’t know you from Adam but it’s feels like your homesick one needs to overcome this emotion quickly; generally it has very limited utility.

ShowMeTheER
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 9:12 am

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by ShowMeTheER » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:37 pm

Given that you've scheduled the meeting with old boss, this might be the only opportunity to go back assuming boss does offer to bring you back. Next time it might play out differently. I'd say go back if they offer.

hq38sq43
Posts: 422
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:25 pm
Location: Bradenton FL

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by hq38sq43 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:49 pm

My first lawyering job was with a federal bank regulatory agency which I left after 3 years to join a small general practice firm in central Ohio. Upon leaving I received a memo from the then chief legal officer wishing me well and inviting me to return if the new job didn't work out. It didn't, so after a year I accepted the invitation to return.

Four years later, a new chief legal officer invited me to accompany her to a different regulatory agency to which she had been named a commissioner. Three years later she left for a partnership at a large business law firm in DC where I soon joined her.

After deciding a year of "big law" was enough for me I rejoined the bank regulatory agency where I was soon named "acting" chief legal officer and then deputy to the new permanent chief with Senior Executive Service rank. Three years later, with the agency in severe contracting mode, I happily accepted an early retirement buy-out and since then have supplemented my truncated pension with a small tax preparation business.

Wouldn't have missed any of it for the world. As Taylor so often opines, there are many roads to Dublin.

Best wishes,
Last edited by hq38sq43 on Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Harry at Bradenton

User avatar
mrspock
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:49 am
Location: Vulcan

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by mrspock » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:50 pm

FWIW, at the company I work at, we see some of our best engineers leave (typically 1-2 years) and return all the time. I can't recall a case where anyone held a grudge, or didn't welcome the back with open arms. Good people are hard to find in tech, and the more of them you can work with the better. Secondly, most people empathize with somebody who had the urge to leave and try something new -- almost everyone has this thought from time to time, even if they don't act on it. My guess is that if you are a particularly good engineer, most of your fears simply won't materialize if you go back.

KyleAAA
Posts: 7597
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:35 pm
Contact:

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by KyleAAA » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:53 pm

You didn’t lose anybody’s trust or they wouldn’t have asked you back to begin with, so regaining trust is a non issue. You might burn a bridge at the new company. If you were bored at the old company you probably will be again unless you negotiate some sort of scope increase as part of your return.

Bir48die
Posts: 109
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:25 am

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by Bir48die » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:00 pm

My old boss gave me 30 days to come back. I almost called. Hung in there and new job turned out to be awesome. That being said its not the same as your situation.

See how the meeting goes.

We all make mistakes. You have an out here.

Eliminate this time period and remove from your resume. Who cares?

No ones going to die.

Good luck

n00b
Posts: 105
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:36 pm

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by n00b » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:28 pm

Who was the old employer? Asking for a friend! ;-)

User avatar
Random Musings
Posts: 5551
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by Random Musings » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:55 pm

People have come back to our company after two days of being somewhere else. The grass is not always greener on the other side. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ

123
Posts: 5207
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:55 pm

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by 123 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:16 pm

(In an earlier post the OP indicated he/she was age 37.)

At age 37 I think most people would say you need to live with the consequences of your decision. That would mean looking for another position with a different employer and not taking the backward step to the former employer.

That said if your former employer will take you back at a similar position and salary, and you can commit to yourself to staying with the former employer for at least 1 to 2 years I think it's okay to retreat. It would be disengenious to retreat to the former employer and not stay with them for a reasonable period of time. One reason not to return to the former employer would be if it would cause disruption in their work group if they have to un-promote someone due to your return.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

mathwhiz
Posts: 814
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:58 pm

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by mathwhiz » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:46 pm

I'm of the view that you have to suck it up buttercup and make the best of your situation. You left your cushy job for this job taking a LARGE SALARY REDUCTION because you are bored and wanted to learn new skills. People don't take large salary reductions and leave because they are happy.

So learn the new skills and in 6 months or a year call your old boss, talk about all the exciting projects you worked on at your new company (even if you hated every minute of it) and see if you can negotiate your way back with a large salary raise and promotion and more exciting projects.
(In an earlier post the OP indicated he/she was age 37.)

At age 37 I think most people would say you need to live with the consequences of your decision. That would mean looking for another position with a different employer and not taking the backward step to the former employer.

Topic Author
tiburblium
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:28 pm

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by tiburblium » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:40 am

Thank you all for the feedback on this, I've found it extremely helpful to hear all of these different perspectives. When I first posted, I was trying to narrow the question, however, I think it's important to better highlight the motivation for me taking the job with new company:

Old company (1 product company: SaaS solution):

1.) Revenue has been growing but the company has never been profitable, will not be profitable in the future with existing business model. In process of being sold by the holding company that has been funding it since the beginning.
2.) Due to pending sale, there is no current strategic direction for the business/product other than maintaining the status quo
3.) Due to pending sale, people have been leaving, about 25% of the staff have left this year, including many who were with the company since the beginning, the rest are checked out mentally.
4.) They have no "moat", there is nothing this platform does that cannot be copied by competition. Industry in general is shifting away from this particular type of business.
5.) I cannot predict the future, but I do not believe this business has a bright future.
6.) I am a technology person, technology alone will not solve the problems faced by this business.

New company (consulting company)

1.) Small but mighty company with a national presence, recently opened an office in my city. Clients are regional and no overnight travel is required.
2.) Company is growing fast
3.) I was brought in as the most senior technical person in this office and put on a key project
4.) Company has a promote from within model, I was brought in at the upper level for external hires. There is a lot of room to grow here. Leadership mentioned several times that they believed I would excel here and quickly surpass my old comp level. I realize that is a sales pitch, but people seem to stay here for the long run, and everyone seems to be enjoying the work.
5.) Variety of projects and problems is very appealing to me, a lot of interesting greenfield work

Yes, as mentioned I am 37, we are in a good place financially: No debt, house paid off, $1m net worth, MCOL suburb. If I was out of work for a year, or two, or three...we would be fine, though that's not ideal of course. I guess I'm still just adapting to the culture shock of this place, the personalities of the consultants are very different than I am used to. People appear to be highly motivated to deliver "results" related to the metrics upon which they are measured, from what i've seen the developers are certainly capable, but perhaps too eager. It seems like part of my value proposition here will be to find the right balance for the work we are doing here.

User avatar
FrugalInvestor
Posts: 5271
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:20 am

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:15 am

Based on that new information I'd change my opinion to 'stay where you are.'
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

zlandar
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:51 am

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by zlandar » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:57 am

Now it makes sense why you left your old job in the first place. "Company never been profitable nor will be profitable in the future" are not good words. People are jumping ship because they see the writing on the wall.

I would stay at your new job.

mathwhiz
Posts: 814
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:58 pm

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by mathwhiz » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:37 am

As I said earlier:
NEVER EVER EVER take a pay cut unless you are leaving a bad situation like a toxic work environment, bad performance and impending firing, layoffs, unethical/illegal work, etc.
Looks like there are systemic issues at the company that could cause questions about whether it remain as a long term going concern. So you weren't crazy or irrational to leave.

It's simple now. Stay on the job and learn new skills to enhance your resume and at regular 6 month intervals evaluate your happiness and value in the market.

Luckywon
Posts: 547
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:33 am

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by Luckywon » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:51 am

tiburblium wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:40 am
Thank you all for the feedback on this, I've found it extremely helpful to hear all of these different perspectives. When I first posted, I was trying to narrow the question, however, I think it's important to better highlight the motivation for me taking the job with new company:

Old company (1 product company: SaaS solution):

1.) Revenue has been growing but the company has never been profitable, will not be profitable in the future with existing business model. In process of being sold by the holding company that has been funding it since the beginning.
2.) Due to pending sale, there is no current strategic direction for the business/product other than maintaining the status quo
3.) Due to pending sale, people have been leaving, about 25% of the staff have left this year, including many who were with the company since the beginning, the rest are checked out mentally.
4.) They have no "moat", there is nothing this platform does that cannot be copied by competition. Industry in general is shifting away from this particular type of business.
5.) I cannot predict the future, but I do not believe this business has a bright future.
6.) I am a technology person, technology alone will not solve the problems faced by this business.

New company (consulting company)

1.) Small but mighty company with a national presence, recently opened an office in my city. Clients are regional and no overnight travel is required.
2.) Company is growing fast
3.) I was brought in as the most senior technical person in this office and put on a key project
4.) Company has a promote from within model, I was brought in at the upper level for external hires. There is a lot of room to grow here. Leadership mentioned several times that they believed I would excel here and quickly surpass my old comp level. I realize that is a sales pitch, but people seem to stay here for the long run, and everyone seems to be enjoying the work.
5.) Variety of projects and problems is very appealing to me, a lot of interesting greenfield work

Yes, as mentioned I am 37, we are in a good place financially: No debt, house paid off, $1m net worth, MCOL suburb. If I was out of work for a year, or two, or three...we would be fine, though that's not ideal of course. I guess I'm still just adapting to the culture shock of this place, the personalities of the consultants are very different than I am used to. People appear to be highly motivated to deliver "results" related to the metrics upon which they are measured, from what i've seen the developers are certainly capable, but perhaps too eager. It seems like part of my value proposition here will be to find the right balance for the work we are doing here.
"How was your evening Mrs. Lincoln?"

"The play was very well done!"

MathWizard
Posts: 3633
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by MathWizard » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:00 pm

Don't assume your old job is yours. You already left, what's to say you won't leave again.

As a hiring manager at your old job, if I was already advertising the position, I would encourage you to apply for your old job, but you will be judged like they are .

My suggestion to you is that if you can't stay,start floating your resume again.

Lalamimi
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:22 pm

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by Lalamimi » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:51 pm

Go talk to former employer, if they will take you back, and increase your responsibility (the reason you decided to leave), then do it.
I have taken 2 jobs that I knew were big mistakes. No job to return to, but it so happened a company I had interviewed with at same time had been bought and needed me. After 7 months, I took that position. Best thing I ever did. ( it only lasted 1 1/2 yrs as company sold my division but I got $$$$)
The second time, I took something in a different city to be able to live with my husband (had been long distance commuting since above job started).
I knew within in minutes it was a BIG mistake. But I stayed almost a year, until I was let go. Best day of my life at the point.

JBTX
Posts: 5539
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by JBTX » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:55 pm

tiburblium wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:16 am
Here is the situation, I appreciate your thoughts:

I left a good job at a small company (product based, software company), I was only there for 2 years but I made an impact and was well liked by most people in the company, including the companies senior leadership. The compensation was exceptionally good, better than anything else I could find in the area, and working time/location was totally flexible including a very liberal WFH policy (WFH whenever you want).

While a smart person would have been content to stay here as long as possible, I did not feel challenged with the work and wanted to find better opportunities which provided better "professional and personal growth". After looking for 3, I had a few potential offers, however all of them were 15-25% below my current compensation. Despite this, I decide to take the offer that was a 15% paycut to base (20% cut when considering TC) at a small tech consulting company, it also offered better technical challenges and much more variety of work. I had a feeling in my gut that this was a bad decision, but I went for it...when I put in my notice my boss who I had a very good relationship with was both surprised and forthcoming immediately with anything he could do to help change my mind. The entire time during my notice period my gut was telling me to stay. Fast forward to starting at the new company, my gut feeling is that I don't want to stay here, I realize that some of this is just emotions from new people/place/expectations, however I never had this feeling with previous job changes. Also I've come to find out a few things, such as compensation being limited/capped by client bill rates, a much different engineering culture than I am used to, and much less flexibility with WFH and scheduling. Though, they are being reasonably accommodating for me.

I now find myself at a mental crossroads, my old boss, who is a VP and is the top level decision maker for hiring had told me to come back when I was ready. I scheduled time to talk to him next week, in person, 2 weeks into my new job. My plan is to feel out my options for coming back, I believe the probability of him giving me an offer is very good...however, even if he does, I want to make sure this isn't a terrible plan. A few concerns have crossed my mind:

My motivations for going back:

1.) Better TC and benefits (25% better)
2.) Better perceived work life balance
3.) Better commute (30 min vs 45 min)
4.) Less pressure to deliver "results" in short time frames, the work at my old company would be done over much larger periods of time and is more suited to my personality.
5.) A less hyperconnected culture, I think the new company has a great culture of hyper communication...unfortunately this just does not fit with my personality. I need more "personal space" than I believe is customary at this new company, more time to work on my own.

My concerns with going back:

1.) I would be burning (nuking?) a bridge with my new employer, leaving after 2-4 weeks
2.) I would have a very small stint on my work history: 2-4 weeks. I realize I could leave this off my resume in the future, but I would have to disclose it during background checks as I'm sure it would surface. Would this be a career killer in the future?
3.) Would I ever regain trust with senior leadership?
4.) Would I ever regain trust with people I work with at the company? In this case, I think most would just joke a bit at first which is fine, most folks there have a good sense of humor.
5.) Staff believing that I got some kind of special treatment/deal in order to come back?
6.) Feeling as though I am on thin ice for the foreseeable future
1. Probably. But how important is that?

2. I'd leave it off. How would anyone know? The longer away it becomes the less relevant it is. I had a brief failed stint at a new employer. Initially I left it on resume but found I was spending way too much time explaining it. So I just left it off.

3. Difficult to say, but probably. The fact that you came back is actually a feather in their cap, and signals to other employees the grass isn't greener over the fence. I had a good employee who did exactly this. Left for seemingly better offer. Turned out she regretted within 2 weeks or so. We gladly took her back. A good proven employee is hard to find. A manager would be an idiot to pass on such an opportunity.

4. If they liked you before I'm not sure why they would change their mind.

5. No, not an issue.

6. No, not an issue.

You only live once. Take the job that you want.

Jags4186
Posts: 3915
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by Jags4186 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:01 pm

If you’re going to leave, leaving after 2 weeks is certainly better than leaving after 6 months. Depending on the job the first 3, 6, or 12 months is simply “getting up to speed” where you’re not very productive. If you leave after 2 weeks you’re saving the new employer that period of investment spend.

Triple digit golfer
Posts: 3467
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:57 pm

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by Triple digit golfer » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:02 pm

I was in your boat two years ago. I lasted 2 days and went back. I've been back since.

Your gut likely isn't wrong. Go back if you can.

Worry about the other stuff later. Work history, burning bridges, etc all come after your happiness at work. You want to go back, so go back. Simple as that, in my opinion. You were a great asset for two years and were well liked. Nobody will think you were given a deal to come back. I just told people that the new job was not what I thought it was and therefore I took the original company up on the offer to "call us if the new gig doesn't work out." It was an interesting first day back after saying my goodbyes on a Friday and returning on a Wednesday. We laugh about it.

For you, it's weeks, so it will be easier. Just say you gave it a shot and it wasn't for you.

Triple digit golfer
Posts: 3467
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:57 pm

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by Triple digit golfer » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:04 pm

JBTX wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:55 pm
tiburblium wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:16 am
Here is the situation, I appreciate your thoughts:

I left a good job at a small company (product based, software company), I was only there for 2 years but I made an impact and was well liked by most people in the company, including the companies senior leadership. The compensation was exceptionally good, better than anything else I could find in the area, and working time/location was totally flexible including a very liberal WFH policy (WFH whenever you want).

While a smart person would have been content to stay here as long as possible, I did not feel challenged with the work and wanted to find better opportunities which provided better "professional and personal growth". After looking for 3, I had a few potential offers, however all of them were 15-25% below my current compensation. Despite this, I decide to take the offer that was a 15% paycut to base (20% cut when considering TC) at a small tech consulting company, it also offered better technical challenges and much more variety of work. I had a feeling in my gut that this was a bad decision, but I went for it...when I put in my notice my boss who I had a very good relationship with was both surprised and forthcoming immediately with anything he could do to help change my mind. The entire time during my notice period my gut was telling me to stay. Fast forward to starting at the new company, my gut feeling is that I don't want to stay here, I realize that some of this is just emotions from new people/place/expectations, however I never had this feeling with previous job changes. Also I've come to find out a few things, such as compensation being limited/capped by client bill rates, a much different engineering culture than I am used to, and much less flexibility with WFH and scheduling. Though, they are being reasonably accommodating for me.

I now find myself at a mental crossroads, my old boss, who is a VP and is the top level decision maker for hiring had told me to come back when I was ready. I scheduled time to talk to him next week, in person, 2 weeks into my new job. My plan is to feel out my options for coming back, I believe the probability of him giving me an offer is very good...however, even if he does, I want to make sure this isn't a terrible plan. A few concerns have crossed my mind:

My motivations for going back:

1.) Better TC and benefits (25% better)
2.) Better perceived work life balance
3.) Better commute (30 min vs 45 min)
4.) Less pressure to deliver "results" in short time frames, the work at my old company would be done over much larger periods of time and is more suited to my personality.
5.) A less hyperconnected culture, I think the new company has a great culture of hyper communication...unfortunately this just does not fit with my personality. I need more "personal space" than I believe is customary at this new company, more time to work on my own.

My concerns with going back:

1.) I would be burning (nuking?) a bridge with my new employer, leaving after 2-4 weeks
2.) I would have a very small stint on my work history: 2-4 weeks. I realize I could leave this off my resume in the future, but I would have to disclose it during background checks as I'm sure it would surface. Would this be a career killer in the future?
3.) Would I ever regain trust with senior leadership?
4.) Would I ever regain trust with people I work with at the company? In this case, I think most would just joke a bit at first which is fine, most folks there have a good sense of humor.
5.) Staff believing that I got some kind of special treatment/deal in order to come back?
6.) Feeling as though I am on thin ice for the foreseeable future
1. Probably. But how important is that?

2. I'd leave it off. How would anyone know? The longer away it becomes the less relevant it is. I had a brief failed stint at a new employer. Initially I left it on resume but found I was spending way too much time explaining it. So I just left it off.

3. Difficult to say, but probably. The fact that you came back is actually a feather in their cap, and signals to other employees the grass isn't greener over the fence. I had a good employee who did exactly this. Left for seemingly better offer. Turned out she regretted within 2 weeks or so. We gladly took her back. A good proven employee is hard to find. A manager would be an idiot to pass on such an opportunity.

4. If they liked you before I'm not sure why they would change their mind.

5. No, not an issue.

6. No, not an issue.

You only live once. Take the job that you want.
All of this, exactly my opinion on all points. :sharebeer

Go back to the original job.

User avatar
JoeRetire
Posts: 3905
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by JoeRetire » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:10 pm

tiburblium wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:40 am
I guess I'm still just adapting to the culture shock of this place, the personalities of the consultants are very different than I am used to. People appear to be highly motivated to deliver "results" related to the metrics upon which they are measured, from what i've seen the developers are certainly capable, but perhaps too eager. It seems like part of my value proposition here will be to find the right balance for the work we are doing here.
You've only given it 2 weeks! That's not enough on which to base a drastic decision.
Don't be a lemming.

User avatar
wander
Posts: 2788
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:10 am

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by wander » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:20 pm

At my company, my higher boss is very nice and willing to work with you to keep you. However, once you have made a choice and moved on, he would make sure that you would never come back. Although the direct boss wants someone back, the higher level boss will make sure it never happen.

shess
Posts: 265
Joined: Wed May 17, 2017 12:02 am

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by shess » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:01 pm

tiburblium wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:40 am
Old company (1 product company: SaaS solution):
<snip>
New company (consulting company)
<snip>
I'll be honest, while I can completely see your position WRT your old company, I'm a little leery of fixing those problems by joining a consulting company. When I read your description of the old company, I feel like you maybe want to work somewhere with a decent product which is going somewhere and which you can have some excitement about contributing to. I'm not at all sure that a consulting company is that.

Then again, I was a consultant in the 90's, and decided to get a real job because I wanted work to be more than a set of rolling temporary gigs. There's a lot to be said for working somewhere where "we" own the product, even if "we" only think we own the product :-).

Trader Joe
Posts: 1269
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:38 pm

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by Trader Joe » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:03 pm

tiburblium wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:16 am
Here is the situation, I appreciate your thoughts:

I left a good job at a small company (product based, software company), I was only there for 2 years but I made an impact and was well liked by most people in the company, including the companies senior leadership. The compensation was exceptionally good, better than anything else I could find in the area, and working time/location was totally flexible including a very liberal WFH policy (WFH whenever you want).

While a smart person would have been content to stay here as long as possible, I did not feel challenged with the work and wanted to find better opportunities which provided better "professional and personal growth". After looking for 3, I had a few potential offers, however all of them were 15-25% below my current compensation. Despite this, I decide to take the offer that was a 15% paycut to base (20% cut when considering TC) at a small tech consulting company, it also offered better technical challenges and much more variety of work. I had a feeling in my gut that this was a bad decision, but I went for it...when I put in my notice my boss who I had a very good relationship with was both surprised and forthcoming immediately with anything he could do to help change my mind. The entire time during my notice period my gut was telling me to stay. Fast forward to starting at the new company, my gut feeling is that I don't want to stay here, I realize that some of this is just emotions from new people/place/expectations, however I never had this feeling with previous job changes. Also I've come to find out a few things, such as compensation being limited/capped by client bill rates, a much different engineering culture than I am used to, and much less flexibility with WFH and scheduling. Though, they are being reasonably accommodating for me.

I now find myself at a mental crossroads, my old boss, who is a VP and is the top level decision maker for hiring had told me to come back when I was ready. I scheduled time to talk to him next week, in person, 2 weeks into my new job. My plan is to feel out my options for coming back, I believe the probability of him giving me an offer is very good...however, even if he does, I want to make sure this isn't a terrible plan. A few concerns have crossed my mind:

My motivations for going back:

1.) Better TC and benefits (25% better)
2.) Better perceived work life balance
3.) Better commute (30 min vs 45 min)
4.) Less pressure to deliver "results" in short time frames, the work at my old company would be done over much larger periods of time and is more suited to my personality.
5.) A less hyperconnected culture, I think the new company has a great culture of hyper communication...unfortunately this just does not fit with my personality. I need more "personal space" than I believe is customary at this new company, more time to work on my own.

My concerns with going back:

1.) I would be burning (nuking?) a bridge with my new employer, leaving after 2-4 weeks
2.) I would have a very small stint on my work history: 2-4 weeks. I realize I could leave this off my resume in the future, but I would have to disclose it during background checks as I'm sure it would surface. Would this be a career killer in the future?
3.) Would I ever regain trust with senior leadership?
4.) Would I ever regain trust with people I work with at the company? In this case, I think most would just joke a bit at first which is fine, most folks there have a good sense of humor.
5.) Staff believing that I got some kind of special treatment/deal in order to come back?
6.) Feeling as though I am on thin ice for the foreseeable future
No, this is not a terrible idea at all. Tell your former boss the truth. Everything will work out.

JimmyD
Posts: 769
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:03 pm

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by JimmyD » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:40 am

Another vote for going back to the previous job.

I was in your shoes recently. Had a job that I enjoyed at a fantastic, growing company, but wasn't fully challenged, so I got bored and when contacted by a former manager to go to a Fortune 50 with a more impressive title, increased responsibilities, and a slight bump in total compensation, I jumped.

I hated every minute of it. The stress and unrealistic expectations were unbearable. Every day was a 12 hour day. The company-issued iPhone NEVER stopped buzzing. I had to go on sleep meds to get a decent night's sleep. I had zero inclination to exercise because I was always worn out and too busy trying to solve a work-related problem. My employees were borderline disgruntled because the larger department wasn't managed well. I had zero authority to do anything about it.

Within six months of joining the new company, I emailed my former manager and laid out my situation. It simply amounted to telling him how much I enjoyed my former position, my colleagues, and the company and that I would be incredibly thankful if he would consider me if an opportunity happened to present itself. I was 100% open about me leaving the company being an eye-opening mistake.

A few months after that, he called, said a new position opened up, and said as long as I planned to stay put for the foreseeable future, it was mine. Needless to say, I jumped all over it and have been a changed man ever since. Granted, the pace is slower, but instead of being bored now, I'm thankful. I find other opportunities to occupy my time by helping colleagues and going above and beyond where I can. I'm off the sleep meds and I exercise a few times a week now. I have more time for my family and I'm generally just a much happier and healthier person.

I'm not a religious person, but every afternoon, I drive by the Fortune 50 office where I spent 18 miserable months and thank god that the situation worked out the way it did. It was the most eye-opening lesson I've ever learned in terms of my career: the grass is not always greener on the other side.

NewbieBogle007
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:49 pm

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by NewbieBogle007 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:51 am

I'm not trying to be funny here, but I have a serious question: What does it mean to feel "not challenged enough" at your job -- especially if you are satisfied with your pay?

rich126
Posts: 941
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:56 pm

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by rich126 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:05 pm

mrspock wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:50 pm
FWIW, at the company I work at, we see some of our best engineers leave (typically 1-2 years) and return all the time. I can't recall a case where anyone held a grudge, or didn't welcome the back with open arms. Good people are hard to find in tech, and the more of them you can work with the better. Secondly, most people empathize with somebody who had the urge to leave and try something new -- almost everyone has this thought from time to time, even if they don't act on it. My guess is that if you are a particularly good engineer, most of your fears simply won't materialize if you go back.
Definitely agree. Good people and managers realize people make decisions and don't take it personally when a person leaves. And if a good person wants to return, usually they don't see an issue with it (especially considering the time consuming interview and hiring process to find a new employee). As one told me, sometimes you have to let the person realize the grass isn't always greener.

Now I've had some losers as managers who took every resignation personally and would never consider hiring the person back but that says more about their thin skin. One wouldn't even set up a luncheon or anything for the person since he didn't stay the expected 1-2 years.

Of course it is also common to have second thoughts after a big decision (job, buying a house, etc.). I'm really wishing I would have stayed at my last job but with the relocation, leaving here before a year would cost me a ton.

Good luck.

User avatar
JoeRetire
Posts: 3905
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Re: After 2 weeks on new job, I am wanting to return to my old job, this is a terrible idea right?

Post by JoeRetire » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:10 pm

NewbieBogle007 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:51 am
I'm not trying to be funny here, but I have a serious question: What does it mean to feel "not challenged enough" at your job -- especially if you are satisfied with your pay?
You don't understand what the words mean?
Or you cannot imagine why anyone would feel that way?
Don't be a lemming.

Post Reply