visiting Maine in November

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
happyisland

visiting Maine in November

Post by happyisland » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:21 pm

In a week or two we will be visiting family on the central coast of Maine, in the Belfast greater metropolitan area. :happy
What is fun to do there at this time of year? We're worried that it might be too cold to enjoy being outdoors.
Someone recommended a road/ferry trip to Grand Manan island - would that be worth it?
We will have wheels and don't have much planned yet for our 4 day trip, so feel free to recommend virtually anything!

ARoseByAnyOtherName

Re: visiting Maine in November

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:03 am

Yes, it will be cold. :) I’ve been around that area of Maine just a little bit and any outdoorsy nature activities will be well worth it if you bundle up. I’ve never been to Grand Manan island but that sounds like a great thing to try. Have fun!

gd

Post by gd » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:18 am

If you're from inland Alaska, probably won't be too cold. Southern FL, yes. Give your approximate location in your profile for better results in this and all climate-related questions.

Topic Author
happyisland

Post by happyisland » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:30 am

gd wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:18 am
If you're from inland Alaska, probably won't be too cold. Southern FL, yes. Give your approximate location in your profile for better results in this and all climate-related questions.
😂
I don't want this to influence the recommendations too much, since we are happy to bundle up, but we live about 700 miles north of the equator.

cadreamer2015

Post by cadreamer2015 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:43 am

It will be cold and dark. Sun will come up about 6:30 AM and it gets dark around 4 PM. Can be windy. I wouldn't recommend a boat trip.

You might want to visit the Farnsworth Art Museum in Rockland, which is not too far away. Great collection of Wyeths. The Searsport Maritime Museum is interesting, just north of Belfast. Go to Perry's Nut House http://www.perrysnuthouse.com/. Maybe visit For Knox in Bucksport. Eat a lot of lobster.
De gustibus non est disputandum

Topic Author
happyisland

Post by happyisland » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:11 am

cadreamer2015 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:43 am
It will be cold and dark. Sun will come up about 6:30 AM and it gets dark around 4 PM. Can be windy. I wouldn't recommend a boat trip.

You might want to visit the Farnsworth Art Museum in Rockland, which is not too far away. Great collection of Wyeths. The Searsport Maritime Museum is interesting, just north of Belfast. Go to Perry's Nut House http://www.perrysnuthouse.com/. Maybe visit For Knox in Bucksport. Eat a lot of lobster.
Great recs, thanks! All are going on the list.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:53 am

In addition to the Farnsworth in Rockland (which I also HIGHLY recommend) there is also a Modern Art musuem that is interesting (if you like art - https://cmcanow.org/).

Its a little further drive but if you are into old cars and such the Owl's Head transportation museum is a hidden gem (in my opinion):
http://owlshead.org/
If you hit this museum - there is a picturesque lighthouse nearby you can hit at the same time (Google Owls Head Lighthouse) - and if you want to stay on the same peninsula as these two attractions you can hit another lighthouse further south (the one that was in Forest Gump - Marshall Point Lighthourse) and the Knox Museum - http://knoxmuseum.org/ (if you are into historic homes - although this one is a recreation of Henry Knox's house which was nearby - but it is impressive and has lots of period furniture, etc.).

For the ferry - are you sure it's even still running in November? It will be cold - hopefully you won't get snow.

EDIT: Added some details above. Note that Rockland, Rockport, and Camden all have nice little downtown areas with shops and restaurants although some of shops/restaurants may be closed for off-season.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:14 am

We have visited central coast of Maine twice in past 5 years. Both times in September. I was once in Old Town Maine in November and have been there in January. It does get cold but you can get some decent days in November.

Acadia National Park is a beautiful place to visit. I love the quaint coastal town of Camden. I always take a schooner ride there but that may not be advised in November. Maine has lots of lighthouses and a tour of some of those in your area would be good. The lobster should be great in November. There are a lot of small towns around that have interesting shops and restaurants, although some may be closed down for the season.

Scenic drives along the coast of Maine are always enjoyable. Mt Katahdin, the tallest peak in Maine, might be worth checking out.

The wild card in your travel is that the weather may hamper your trip somewhat but you should still find plenty of interesting sites, and you will not have to fight the crowds.

stuyguy

Post by stuyguy » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:34 am

If you venture to Rockland, dine at Primo's. Make reservations now

Random Musings

Post by Random Musings » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:45 am

DaftInvestor wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:53 am
In addition to the Farnsworth in Rockland (which I also HIGHLY recommend) there is also a Modern Art musuem that is interesting (if you like art - https://cmcanow.org/).

Its a little further drive but if you are into old cars and such the Owl's Head transportation museum is a hidden gem (in my opinion):
If you hit this museum - there is a picturesque lighthouse nearby you can hit at the same time (Google Owls Head Lighthouse) - and if you want to stay on the same peninsula as these two attractions you can hit another lighthouse further south (the one that was in Forest Gump - Marshall Point Lighthourse) and the Knox Museum - http://knoxmuseum.org/ (if you are into historic homes - although this one is a recreation of Henry Knox's house which was nearby - but it is impressive and has lots of period furniture, etc.).

For the ferry - are you sure it's even still running in November? It will be cold - hopefully you won't get snow.

EDIT: Added some details above. Note that Rockland, Rockport, and Camden all have nice little downtown areas with shops and restaurants although some of shops/restaurants may be closed for off-season.

Owl's Head Transportation is a must, also enjoyed looking at the cars for sale outside the museum. Some interesting ones. Also, Camden has the state park nearby that you can drive up and soak in the view.

Hopefully, it will warm up a little during the day. Mornings will be cold, for sure.

If you want to be really adventurous (and perhaps a little crazy) and the weather cooperates, could leave really early and drive up to Acadia National Park for the day. At least you could drive the loop and see some of the major sights. Just bundle up. It will be a long day as well. The only thing I'm not sure about is the fog situation that time of year. Perhaps someone could chime in on that.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:17 am

It's 33 degrees, 100 miles south of where you're talking right now. So you're looking at likely snow. At least flurries during your stay.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:46 am

happyisland wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:21 pm
We're worried that it might be too cold to enjoy being outdoors.
How warm must it be for you to enjoy being outdoors?

We just came in from a walk in the 32 degrees and windy morning today. We are in southern coastal Maine - well south from where you will be. In Belfast, it's currently 30 degrees and cloudy.

If you are worried about the cold, Maine in November might not be the best outdoor mix for you.

Topic Author
happyisland

Post by happyisland » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:45 am

DaftInvestor wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:53 am

Awesome - thanks for the recs. I am going to see if those lighthouses do tours. If so our itinerary is looking like it will include at least a day of varied small museums, a lighthouse or two, and this 'lobster' we keep hearing about. :D

Topic Author
happyisland

Post by happyisland » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:49 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:17 am
It's 33 degrees, 100 miles south of where you're talking right now. So you're looking at likely snow. At least flurries during your stay.
I'm typing this in my tropical back yard in nice 85 degree breezes, so snow sounds incredibly exotic to me right now. #famouslastwords :wink:

Topic Author
happyisland

Post by happyisland » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:53 am

JoeRetire wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:46 am
happyisland wrote:

We just came in from a walk in the 32 degrees and windy morning today. We are in southern coastal Maine - well south from where you will be. In Belfast, it's currently 30 degrees and cloudy.

If you are worried about the cold, Maine in November might not be the best outdoor mix for you.
This is part of what I was looking for guidance on. We will have plenty of borrowed winter clothes, but I'm curious how enjoyable it is for anyone to be outside in Maine at this time of year.
Unfortunately, we didn't get to pick the timing on the trip, and we're trying to make the best of it.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:45 am

happyisland wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:53 am
JoeRetire wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:46 am
happyisland wrote:

This is part of what I was looking for guidance on. We will have plenty of borrowed winter clothes, but I'm curious how enjoyable it is for anyone to be outside in Maine at this time of year.
Yes, some of us enjoy being outside in Maine during the cold months. Maybe it's an acquired taste, and certainly not for everyone.

My wife and I enjoy it during sunny days, almost no matter how cold it is. Not so much during rain/snow/ice. As long as it's sunny and not too windy, we'll bundle up for a nice long walk along the beach any time of year. It's in the 20s this morning, but sunny. So we'll get outside.

That said, now that my wife has mostly retired, we'll look for some warmer-weather destinations to break up the winter months. Maine would be perfect with a bit less winter and a bit more spring/summer/fall.

dowse

Post by dowse » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:32 pm

A day trip to Freeport would be within reason. Approximately 1-1/2 drive from Belfast. The main attraction there is the LL Bean flagship store. The downtown area has some interesting shops and restaurants. There are also a lot of outlet stores in town.

MJS

Post by MJS » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:50 pm

Belfast and its vicinity has craft breweries and at least one cidery. They should help you to stay warm! You might also want to check out the local maple producers. Not much happening in November, but supporting local businesses is always nice.

Don S

Post by Don S » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:10 pm

I'm writing this from the Portland, Maine area where I live.

I think that all of the above advice about things to do seem pretty sound. Especially the various museums and lighthouses. And, of course, the craft breweries!

As for outdoor activities, you need to stay flexible with your plans. Today was cool but sunny and a bit windy. A great day for a walk in the woods but maybe not along an unprotected shoreline. Also for raking leaves which is what I actually did.

A few days ago it was rainy, in the 40's, and thus miserable. Meaning that sunny and in the 20's is much nicer than rainy in the 40's IMHO.

Earlier this week it was cool but no wind at all. It would have been a great day for a boat ride here in Casco Bay and maybe even in Penobscot Bay where Belfast is. I don't have a boat in the water now but some of the fishermen were out and it looked like a great day for it. You just have to dress for the weather. A calm day in winter can be very nice on the water. Especially if it is also sunny.

So go with the flow, have backup plans, wear the right clothing, and you will be fine and hopefully have an enjoyable time.

MishkaWorries

Post by MishkaWorries » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:44 pm

I grew up south of there. The weather will be changable but mostly grey. Temperatures will be low 30s to 50.

I can't believe no one else has mentioned that it should be deer hunting season. I'm sure they'll be many people willing to take you out on a hunt.

If you get a clear warm day head down to Camden and climb to the top mount Battie for an unforgettable view of the harbor.

The state University is kinda close in Orono. They should have some interesting lectures or performances scheduled.
We plan. G-d laughs.

Topic Author
happyisland

Post by happyisland » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:01 pm

dowse wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:32 pm
A day trip to Freeport would be within reason.
Cool idea - I haven't been there since I was a little kid, but remember the LL Bean store being quite an experience.
MJS wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:50 pm
Belfast and its vicinity has craft breweries and at least one cidery.
Unfortunately, of the four of us who will be spending time together, I'm the only one who indulges in a tipple, and that kind of kills the vibe. Good idea though!
Don S wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:10 pm
So go with the flow, have backup plans, wear the right clothing, and you will be fine and hopefully have an enjoyable time.
Thanks - I'll do my best to remember this when it is literally 70 degrees colder outside than back home. Haha.
MishkaWorries wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:44 pm
The state University is kinda close in Orono. They should have some interesting lectures or performances scheduled.
Good one! I'm gonna check on that...

MishkaWorries

Post by MishkaWorries » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:22 pm

We call the LL Bean store the Mothership. :twisted:
We plan. G-d laughs.

keaton

Post by keaton » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:24 pm

In a few weeks, it might actually get a little warmer, as right now is just a cold arctic blast!

My picks would be Acadia as a good day trip over Freeport, although Freeport is nice for shopping, it doesn't have what Acadia has for scenery. You can go shopping anywhere, and LLbean is the same china crap as all the other stores now, sadly!

As for a little local, go to Lincolnville general store for lunch, which is close. Owls head transportation museum is good and you can go to the lighthouse which is only about a 15min visit. Walk the Rockland breakwater if it's not freezing, and go to the Farnsworth. All these are close to each other, as well as Primos for dinner if your in Rockland, dollar oyster night on Sundays. Also if you like Sushi, Suzukis in Rockland is excellent, reservations are key!

In the Camden, Rockport area, Mt Battie is a good drive or hike if its nice out. For dinner, 18 Central in Rockport, Frannies and/or 40 Paper in Camden. Those are at least our regular spots!

Ohh, as for Belfast haha, go to Chases for lunch, its excellent.

Edit: as for Grand Manana, that's a haul to get there and in my opinion not worth it this time of year with such a short time frame.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:58 pm

happyisland wrote:
In a week or two we will be visiting family on the central coast of Maine, in the Belfast greater metropolitan area. :happy
What is fun to do there at this time of year? We're worried that it might be too cold to enjoy being outdoors.
Someone recommended a road/ferry trip to Grand Manan island - would that be worth it?
We will have wheels and don't have much planned yet for our 4 day trip, so feel free to recommend virtually anything!
I was just in Maine. Whatever you do, bundle up. It is cold.

cadreamer2015

Post by cadreamer2015 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:23 pm

The forecast for Belfast next Wednesday is a high temp of 29 and a low of 13. By Friday it warms up to a high of 40 and a low of 19. Dress appropriately and you’ll be fine. Wear orange if you go for a walk in the woods - as someone mentioned it is deer hunting season.
De gustibus non est disputandum

Topic Author
happyisland

Post by happyisland » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:54 pm

keaton wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:24 pm
Also if you like Sushi, Suzukis in Rockland is excellent, reservations are key!

In the Camden, Rockport area, Mt Battie is a good drive or hike if its nice out. For dinner, 18 Central in Rockport, Frannies and/or 40 Paper in Camden. Those are at least our regular spots!

Ohh, as for Belfast haha, go to Chases for lunch, its excellent.
The only one of these I've tried so far is Chases, which I agree is excellent. Thanks for the other recs - all going on the list.

Downeastah

Post by Downeastah » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:50 am

To get to Grand Manan Island, you will first need to drive quite a distance from Belfast to get to the Ferry, Black's Harbor New Brunswick in Canada, roughly 150 miles. Also, not a great time of year to be visiting the island due to weather, it will be very cold as storms track right through there into Nova Scotia. Best left for summer and early fall. I can tell you today, for example, here in Maine, it is 40 degrees, with rain, and ice and snow coming tonight. I would take a drive up to Acadia National Park as there will be zero crowds, still plenty to do and see in the area, just dress for the weather.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." George S. Patton, Jr.

Downeastah

Post by Downeastah » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:53 am

MishkaWorries wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:44 pm

I can't believe no one else has mentioned that it should be deer hunting season. I'm sure they'll be many people willing to take you out on a hunt.
No hunting without a license and required hunter safety course
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." George S. Patton, Jr.