Filing FTC complaint against ATT Internet

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tenkuky

Filing FTC complaint against ATT Internet

Post by tenkuky » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:27 pm

I wanted to get guidance on the wisdom and process for this.
Facts:
My 12-month promotional contract with AT&T Internet expired in August 2019, and I ordered a new 12-month period with a cost of $50 per month all inclusive. (Supposed to be $20 off the rack rate of $70)
For the last 2 months the bill has been exactly $50.
Today, for October, bill was $55.
I immediately called customer service who stated that they can't find any evidence of the Aug 2019 contract and only have my original 2018 one. I have it on my email and I offered to send it to them (CSR declined to provide an email for this)
They also stated that the rack rate went up to $75, so nothing they can do about my new monthly charge of $55.
I argued that I have a lock in for the $50 and I want it resolved by a manager or otherwise I would file a complaint.
No further response from AT&T

Options:
1. Take this up again with AT&T, perhaps in writing?
2. File an FTC complaint and wait for response?
3. Other options?

The sticky point here is if the language is $20 off rack rate, and they increase the rack rate, is that breach of the contract?
Also, there is a penalty for terminating prior to 12-months.

Appreciate any guidance.

neilpilot

Re: Filing FTC complaint against ATT Internet

Post by neilpilot » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:32 pm

"if the language is $20 off rack rate, and they increase the rack rate" then you likely owe them $55/mo.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:38 pm

Sorry for the hassle. I would call back and try again. If you are not successful with the CSR ask to speak with a Supervisor and insist on waiting for one if they are busy. Remain calm but firm at all times.

If the deal is $20 off Rack Rate and that rate has changed then there is no there there. Even you don't prevail I wouldn't change over the $5 difference until you are certain that you have researched and found an equivalent plan at a cheaper price. No cutting off the nose to spite your face.

Unfortunately, an FTC complaint will be a complete waste of your time in my opinion.

Best of luck.

Cheers

Topic Author
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:02 pm

Thanks, Silk.
Apparently they decided to "not offer the plan" I locked into for a year, but downgraded to a lesser speed at higher price.
They did not notify me of this in writing or email.
While I may not have better options locally, I am peeved by the bait-and-switch which defeats the notion of a "lock in".
And to cancel is to incur an "early termination fee".
What if they do this again every 3 months?
While in the big scheme $60 a year extra won't hurt a boglehead, my sense of principle is offended. :annoyed

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:09 pm

You have every right to be ticked. Just don't let them live rent-free in your head over this.

Cheers

Topic Author
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:11 pm

Silk McCue wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:09 pm
You have every right to be ticked. Just don't let them live rent-free in your head over this.

Cheers
Thanks for the mindful check. I probably made more in interest today on my Ally NPCDs than that monthly increase.
So, serenity now......