Smart Garage Door Openers

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
mtmingus
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:15 pm

Smart Garage Door Openers

Post by mtmingus » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:31 am

Could these had their Smart Garage Door Openers installed lately, share their experiences (costs) and recommendations?

Silk McCue
Posts: 3413
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: Smart Garage Door Openers

Post by Silk McCue » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:42 am

I replaced my failing garage door opener a few months ago with a Chamberlain MyQ Wifi enabled unit. The lighting on the unit is far superior to the old unit and really lights up the garage well. They have a model higher than the one I bought that does and even better job with lighting.

I very much like being notified via an app on my iPhone when the door is opened and closed. On rare occasions in the past I would be a mile away from home and question whether or not I had closed the door and would turn around to check. I no longer need to do do that. Even if I didn't have notifications turned on I could check the open/close status or open or close my door from anywhere with my iPhone.

I am pleased with the unit.

Cheers

User avatar
HueyLD
Posts: 7217
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:30 am

Re: Smart Garage Door Openers

Post by HueyLD » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:50 am

My only concern about smart openers is that the wifi could be hacked.

Silk McCue
Posts: 3413
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: Smart Garage Door Openers

Post by Silk McCue » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:56 am

HueyLD wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:50 am
My only concern about smart openers is that the wifi could be hacked.
Hacking the Wifi will potentially grant access to everything connected in your home.

Without a password paired app they won't be able to control your garage door remotely even with Wifi access.

Cheers

User avatar
unclescrooge
Posts: 3966
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:00 pm

Re: Smart Garage Door Openers

Post by unclescrooge » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:57 am

Silk McCue wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:42 am
I replaced my failing garage door opener a few months ago with a Chamberlain MyQ Wifi enabled unit. The lighting on the unit is far superior to the old unit and really lights up the garage well. They have a model higher than the one I bought that does and even better job with lighting.

I very much like being notified via an app on my iPhone when the door is opened and closed. On rare occasions in the past I would be a mile away from home and question whether or not I had closed the door and would turn around to check. I no longer need to do do that. Even if I didn't have notifications turned on I could check the open/close status or open or close my door from anywhere with my iPhone.

I am pleased with the unit.

Cheers
Had the same MyQ wifi unit for a year.

My experience has been similar. It's very convenient to be able to open and close the doors from my phone.

I've also programmed them to close automatically at noon and midnight so if they are ever left open by mistake they'll close at some point.

mw1739
Posts: 619
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:44 pm

Re: Smart Garage Door Openers

Post by mw1739 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:21 am

I installed the myQ sensors and hub in my garage about 6 months ago. Pretty simple installation with a sensor on each garage door and a wifi hub hanging from the ceiling. I didn't want to buy all new wifi enabled garage door openers. I believe each set (sensor and hub) were $30 each (the set cost less than buying an additional sensor). One hub can run multiple doors, so I was able to sell the extra hub on eBay.

As someone else mentioned, it's pretty convenient to be able to open/close your doors from anywhere. We have a bad habit of leaving our doors open all night, so it's programmed to automatically shut them at a given time each night. There is a partnership with Amazon where they can deliver your packages directly into your garage, but something doesn't feel right about enabling that.

Topic Author
mtmingus
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:15 pm

Re: Smart Garage Door Openers

Post by mtmingus » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:26 am

Silk McCue wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:42 am
I replaced my failing garage door opener a few months ago with a Chamberlain MyQ Wifi enabled unit.
Are we talking about this unit:

MyQ Smart Garage Door Opener Chamberlain MYQ-G0301 - Wireless & Wi-Fi enabled Garage Hub with Smartphone Control
https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Garage-Ope ... NrPXRydWU=

about $30 now? That's all I need (does this hub come with a sensor)?
Or an additional sensor needed for my single door garage?
Last edited by mtmingus on Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Carson
Posts: 634
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 3:26 pm

Re: Smart Garage Door Openers

Post by Carson » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:35 am

The myQ is pretty handy coming in on multiple vehicles where we don't have openers in all of them. My only complaint about the MyQ sensor is sometimes the wind rattles our garage door, triggering it to register an open/close. In this case DH can remotely check a separately installed camera inside the garage to make sure nothing is amiss.
30-something personal finance enthusiast, just get getting started on this whole portfolio thing.

mw1739
Posts: 619
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:44 pm

Re: Smart Garage Door Openers

Post by mw1739 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:37 am

mtmingus wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:26 am
Silk McCue wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:42 am
I replaced my failing garage door opener a few months ago with a Chamberlain MyQ Wifi enabled unit.
Are we talking about this unit:

MyQ Smart Garage Door Opener Chamberlain MYQ-G0301 - Wireless & Wi-Fi enabled Garage Hub with Smartphone Control
https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Garage-Ope ... NrPXRydWU=

about $30 now? That's all I need?
Or an additional sensor needed?
Yes, that's all you will need to control 1 garage door. If you have multiple doors you can buy an extra sensor.

RJC
Posts: 379
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:40 pm

Re: Smart Garage Door Openers

Post by RJC » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:38 am

We just installed the LiftMaster 8550WL a few months ago (about $600 for system + installation) and so far so good. It's much quieter than our previous chain system and has a soft close mechanism. The Wi-Fi control is a game-changer.

3dream3
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:53 pm

Re: Smart Garage Door Openers

Post by 3dream3 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:41 am

mtmingus wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:26 am

Are we talking about this unit:

MyQ Smart Garage Door Opener Chamberlain MYQ-G0301 - Wireless & Wi-Fi enabled Garage Hub with Smartphone Control
https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Garage-Ope ... NrPXRydWU=

about $30 now? That's all I need?
Or an additional sensor needed?
Best Buy and Walmart currently have a sale for the same price too. This is what I installed on an old Chamberlain opener (almost 10yrs old) and has been really nice to have. My oldest has the phone app and comes through the garage after school so it's nice getting a notification when the door is opened and closed. Also, set an alert if it's been opened for an extended period of time.

mmmodem
Posts: 1805
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 1:22 pm

Re: Smart Garage Door Openers

Post by mmmodem » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:42 am

We added the Chamberlain MyQ device to our existing Genie garage door opener. Installation was fairly simple. There is a the wifi hub that can be placed anywhere within vicinity of the garage sensor. There is an accelerometer that attaches to the door itself that detects an open and close situation.

We kept on getting false positives while away that the door was open, roughly once every couple of months. It was really scary the first time it happened as we thought someone broke into the house. The second time it happened I was home and realized the accelerometer isn't entirely reliable. We eventually paired the system with a security camera and that ameliorated the issue.

When it came time to replace the opener, we bought a Chamberlain with MyQ built in. No more accelerometers, no more false alarms.

bryanm
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:48 pm

Re: Smart Garage Door Openers

Post by bryanm » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:45 am

Silk McCue wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:56 am
HueyLD wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:50 am
My only concern about smart openers is that the wifi could be hacked.
Hacking the Wifi will potentially grant access to everything connected in your home.

Without a password paired app they won't be able to control your garage door remotely even with Wifi access.

Cheers
I think the bigger concern here is a password breach, or discovering a vulnerability in the smart opener's internet communications. Presumably, like many smart devices (e.g., Nest), the opener communicates over the internet, not just WiFi. (For example, I assume you can open your garage door remotely via your smartphone, even when the phone is not on WiFi.) So, if there is a password breach for the device, someone might be able to use your credentials to access your home. This is what makes me uncomfortable about these units. Otherwise I would love to grab one. Am I wrong?

Silk McCue
Posts: 3413
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: Smart Garage Door Openers

Post by Silk McCue » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:48 am

mtmingus wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:26 am
Silk McCue wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:42 am
I replaced my failing garage door opener a few months ago with a Chamberlain MyQ Wifi enabled unit.
Are we talking about this unit:

MyQ Smart Garage Door Opener Chamberlain MYQ-G0301 - Wireless & Wi-Fi enabled Garage Hub with Smartphone Control
https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Garage-Ope ... NrPXRydWU=

about $30 now? That's all I need (does this hub come with a sensor)?
Or an additional sensor needed for my single door garage?
No. I replaced the entire unit as my aged one was failing. I installed it myself as it used the same railing and belt as my current unit.

This is the model I purchased.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Chamberlain-1- ... 1000276735

Cheers

Silk McCue
Posts: 3413
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: Smart Garage Door Openers

Post by Silk McCue » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:54 am

bryanm wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:45 am
Silk McCue wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:56 am
HueyLD wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:50 am
My only concern about smart openers is that the wifi could be hacked.
Hacking the Wifi will potentially grant access to everything connected in your home.

Without a password paired app they won't be able to control your garage door remotely even with Wifi access.

Cheers
I think the bigger concern here is a password breach, or discovering a vulnerability in the smart opener's internet communications. Presumably, like many smart devices (e.g., Nest), the opener communicates over the internet, not just WiFi. (For example, I assume you can open your garage door remotely via your smartphone, even when the phone is not on WiFi.) So, if there is a password breach for the device, someone might be able to use your credentials to access your home. This is what makes me uncomfortable about these units. Otherwise I would love to grab one. Am I wrong?
You aren't wrong. Just overly concerned in my opinion. It is much easier to breach a rear window or kick in a back door than to hack a garage door opener. My home is not a target for a world class hacker and that is what it would take.

We are not in the infancy of technology and systems have been hardened over the years. I just apply best security practices with the technology that I utilize.

Cheers

bryanm
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:48 pm

Re: Smart Garage Door Openers

Post by bryanm » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:58 am

Silk McCue wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:54 am
bryanm wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:45 am
I think the bigger concern here is a password breach, or discovering a vulnerability in the smart opener's internet communications. Presumably, like many smart devices (e.g., Nest), the opener communicates over the internet, not just WiFi. (For example, I assume you can open your garage door remotely via your smartphone, even when the phone is not on WiFi.) So, if there is a password breach for the device, someone might be able to use your credentials to access your home. This is what makes me uncomfortable about these units. Otherwise I would love to grab one. Am I wrong?
You aren't wrong. Just overly concerned in my opinion. It is much easier to breach a rear window or kick in a back door than to hack a garage door opener. My home is not a target for a world class hacker and that is what it would take.

We are not in the infancy of technology and systems have been hardened over the years. I just apply best security practices with the technology that I utilize.

Cheers
It's a fair point. If someone wanted to break into my house, I'm sure they would bust a window. But if someone discovered a widespread way to access these openers, I don't want them scanning the neighborhood and selecting my house because I have one. In other words, I look at this not as a hacker trying to get me, but as a hacker trying to get anything and going for potentially low hanging fruit. I still respect the point that I might be overly concerned.

For what it's worth, my solution to this concern is to utilize local-only smart devices whenever possible (which I can then access remotely through a VPN protocol that I trust). Typically those are zwave devices, but I haven't found any good zwave smart garage door openers, unfortunately.

michaeljc70
Posts: 5782
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: Smart Garage Door Openers

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:06 pm

Silk McCue wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:42 am
I replaced my failing garage door opener a few months ago with a Chamberlain MyQ Wifi enabled unit. The lighting on the unit is far superior to the old unit and really lights up the garage well. They have a model higher than the one I bought that does and even better job with lighting.

I very much like being notified via an app on my iPhone when the door is opened and closed. On rare occasions in the past I would be a mile away from home and question whether or not I had closed the door and would turn around to check. I no longer need to do do that. Even if I didn't have notifications turned on I could check the open/close status or open or close my door from anywhere with my iPhone.

I am pleased with the unit.

Cheers
I also have a Chamberlain with the MyQ. I like it. Other than being notified of the door opening/closing and checking it via my phone I also set it to close after 10 minutes of being left open and there is a sensor that turns on the light when it detects me so no more using a light switch.

HomeStretch
Posts: 2900
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:06 pm

Re: Smart Garage Door Openers

Post by HomeStretch » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:14 pm

Installed two LiftMaster Elite Series LED Wi-Fi garage door openers (model WLED) this summer and really like them. Very quiet operation, bright LED lighting with motion-sensing and battery back-up. MyQ is a nice add-on as it sends alerts when doors remain open and I have used it to open doors remotely. I received four free remote light controls (825LM) that work with MyQ to control lamps (including acting as a timer for auto on/off) plugged into them. MyQ connects through a guest network on my Wi-Fi.

fru-gal
Posts: 1184
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:48 pm
Location: New England

Re: Smart Garage Door Openers

Post by fru-gal » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:39 am

I have an ancient garage door opener that is activated by a device I keep in my car and by two buttons installed in the garage. I forked out some modest sum ($30?) for motion sensor things that fit into two overhead light sockets, in addition to the opener's light.

What am I missing here that would motivate someone to pay more? All I see is comments about forgetting to close the door. As I back out of the driveway, I see the door closing and wait for it to finish.

michaeljc70
Posts: 5782
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: Smart Garage Door Openers

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:48 am

fru-gal wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:39 am
I have an ancient garage door opener that is activated by a device I keep in my car and by two buttons installed in the garage. I forked out some modest sum ($30?) for motion sensor things that fit into two overhead light sockets, in addition to the opener's light.

What am I missing here that would motivate someone to pay more? All I see is comments about forgetting to close the door. As I back out of the driveway, I see the door closing and wait for it to finish.
It's like a lot of home automation or tech gadgets. Most aren't necessary but handy. In my case the old opener broke and a new one with the smart features was only $30 more. You may be careful watching the door close but others aren't always or have kids that aren't. I have an attached garage so I can remotely let someone into my home with my phone.

User avatar
RootSki
Posts: 297
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:52 am

Re: Smart Garage Door Openers

Post by RootSki » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:52 am

fru-gal wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:39 am
I have an ancient garage door opener that is activated by a device I keep in my car and by two buttons installed in the garage. I forked out some modest sum ($30?) for motion sensor things that fit into two overhead light sockets, in addition to the opener's light.

What am I missing here that would motivate someone to pay more? All I see is comments about forgetting to close the door. As I back out of the driveway, I see the door closing and wait for it to finish.
Well, I back my car into my garage, so there's quite a few times where I thought I hit the button to close it after leaving, but didn't, and didn't check in my mirrors either. Then I can simply close the door from my watch. Technology is great.

shunkman
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:59 pm

Re: Smart Garage Door Openers

Post by shunkman » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:20 am

I installed the MyQ device on my garage door a few months ago. So far it works but a word of caution. I was limited to connecting five remote devices (Ex. clickers) to my garage door opener at one time. For most people this is not a problem but for me it was. I had a clicker for each of two motorcycles, two cars, one exterior keypad, and now the MyQ device. This is six opening devices. So I had to eliminate one of the motorcycle clickers.

destiny
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:59 pm
Location: Land of Lincoln

Re: Smart Garage Door Openers

Post by destiny » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:40 am

Bought Mighty Mule Smart Garage door opener from Costco , they went on sale $60 off and grabbed two of these couple of months back . Quality product with super quiet operations and great app and wifi capabilities . If you have a 8ft door then you will have buy an extension otherwise out the box you have everything , I installed it myself and happy with it.
once bitten, twice shy

Silk McCue
Posts: 3413
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: Smart Garage Door Openers

Post by Silk McCue » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:47 am

fru-gal wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:39 am
I have an ancient garage door opener that is activated by a device I keep in my car and by two buttons installed in the garage. I forked out some modest sum ($30?) for motion sensor things that fit into two overhead light sockets, in addition to the opener's light.

What am I missing here that would motivate someone to pay more? All I see is comments about forgetting to close the door. As I back out of the driveway, I see the door closing and wait for it to finish.
I didn't replace mine that was many many years old that already had automatic lights and battery backup (they come in handy when the rare power outage or hurricane multi day outage occurs), because I wanted the latest and greatest toy but rather because it was failing. Why in the world wouldn't I, living in a connected world with an occasional habit of not being able to remember if I closed the garage door after I left due to mental distraction, not install a solution that mitigated that? I don't use my app to open and close the door but I can now if needed two miles down the road. We still activate the garage door using button in our cars (mostly built in to today's modern vehicles) and the panel on the wall.

We also buy refrigerators with ice-makers, water dispensers, self-cleaning ovens and pay to stream tv when we could just use an antenna to watch TV live only. Alas, we have embraced the future and will unabashedly due so again.

Cheers

HomeStretch
Posts: 2900
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:06 pm

Re: Smart Garage Door Openers

Post by HomeStretch » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:47 am

fru-gal wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:39 am
What am I missing here that would motivate someone to pay more? All I see is comments about forgetting to close the door. As I back out of the driveway, I see the door closing and wait for it to finish.
I needed to replace mine and the quiet operation/battery backup/bright motion-sensing lights were at the top of my requirements list. The smart technology (MyQ) came with it which is useful but not a necessity for me. I would not pay more for the MyQ feature nor would I pay a monthly fee for access like some types of devices require. But I’m not a gadget person and I have concerns over poor security/privacy with some Wi-Fi enabled devices.

dream_chaser
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:35 pm

Re: Smart Garage Door Openers

Post by dream_chaser » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:12 pm

I had a Sears Craftsman unit that used the Chamberlain MyQ technology. Best I can tell this was just a rebranded Chamberlain unit.

I was pleased with it until it failed while I was on vacation and automatically opened my garage door.

After speaking with my neighbor, luckily the door was only open for about 6 hours. When it failed, I didn't receive any notification of the door opening, and the app was not able to connect to the door to view the status or close it. The irony is I purchased this opener so I could be confident the door was closed while I was away. :oops:

I contacted Sears/Craftsman and Chamberlain. Neither company responded at all, the least they could have done is apologize for the failure. This is a huge safety and security risk. I will never purchase from these companies again; Amazon reviews indicate many similar failures, this was not a fringe case.

Genie opener for me, preferably "dumb".

deikel
Posts: 879
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:13 pm

Re: Smart Garage Door Openers

Post by deikel » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:49 pm

bryanm wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:58 am
Silk McCue wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:54 am
bryanm wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:45 am
I think the bigger concern here is a password breach, or discovering a vulnerability in the smart opener's internet communications. Presumably, like many smart devices (e.g., Nest), the opener communicates over the internet, not just WiFi. (For example, I assume you can open your garage door remotely via your smartphone, even when the phone is not on WiFi.) So, if there is a password breach for the device, someone might be able to use your credentials to access your home. This is what makes me uncomfortable about these units. Otherwise I would love to grab one. Am I wrong?
You aren't wrong. Just overly concerned in my opinion. It is much easier to breach a rear window or kick in a back door than to hack a garage door opener. My home is not a target for a world class hacker and that is what it would take.

We are not in the infancy of technology and systems have been hardened over the years. I just apply best security practices with the technology that I utilize.

Cheers
It's a fair point. If someone wanted to break into my house, I'm sure they would bust a window. But if someone discovered a widespread way to access these openers, I don't want them scanning the neighborhood and selecting my house because I have one. In other words, I look at this not as a hacker trying to get me, but as a hacker trying to get anything and going for potentially low hanging fruit. I still respect the point that I might be overly concerned.

For what it's worth, my solution to this concern is to utilize local-only smart devices whenever possible (which I can then access remotely through a VPN protocol that I trust). Typically those are zwave devices, but I haven't found any good zwave smart garage door openers, unfortunately.
I think its worthwhile to also add that you are actually not adding (!) a vulnerability if you are using a smart opener vs a clicker. The old style clicker can be hacked into as well (arguably using more simple technology) vs the opening through an app.

I would always assume that these things can be hacked easily. Its not so much the stealing I am worried about anyway, its the frustration when the burgler does not find anything worthwhile (which would apply to me) and then starts the damage by turning on the water to run for hours and seep everywhere....

Replacing the old clicker (when broken) with a 30 USD smart opener seems a no-brainer even to me (and I am usually not an early adopter).
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immediately and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.

bryanm
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:48 pm

Re: Smart Garage Door Openers

Post by bryanm » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:56 pm

deikel wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:49 pm
I think its worthwhile to also add that you are actually not adding (!) a vulnerability if you are using a smart opener vs a clicker. The old style clicker can be hacked into as well (arguably using more simple technology) vs the opening through an app.

I would always assume that these things can be hacked easily. Its not so much the stealing I am worried about anyway, its the frustration when the burgler does not find anything worthwhile (which would apply to me) and then starts the damage by turning on the water to run for hours and seep everywhere....

Replacing the old clicker (when broken) with a 30 USD smart opener seems a no-brainer even to me (and I am usually not an early adopter).
This is an interesting thought, and I'm certainly not trying to be doom-and-gloom about this. In fact, the lack of others being concerned--on a board that frequently has severe privacy and security concerns--is reassuring. That said, I don't know whether a clicker is easier to hack than an app. Clickers have been around a long time, and I think they're generally recognized as safe. On the other hand, the app (I assume) is secured via a username and password. Usernames and passwords have also been around for a long time, and have consistently been shown to be vulnerable to things like wide-scale breaches. (And I'm not talking about people using silly passwords, I'm talking about companies not securing their databases or using best practices storing passwords.) All in all, I still think it's an increased risk. The added convenience might outweigh that risk.

michaeljc70
Posts: 5782
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: Smart Garage Door Openers

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:04 pm

bryanm wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:56 pm
deikel wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:49 pm
I think its worthwhile to also add that you are actually not adding (!) a vulnerability if you are using a smart opener vs a clicker. The old style clicker can be hacked into as well (arguably using more simple technology) vs the opening through an app.

I would always assume that these things can be hacked easily. Its not so much the stealing I am worried about anyway, its the frustration when the burgler does not find anything worthwhile (which would apply to me) and then starts the damage by turning on the water to run for hours and seep everywhere....

Replacing the old clicker (when broken) with a 30 USD smart opener seems a no-brainer even to me (and I am usually not an early adopter).
This is an interesting thought, and I'm certainly not trying to be doom-and-gloom about this. In fact, the lack of others being concerned--on a board that frequently has severe privacy and security concerns--is reassuring. That said, I don't know whether a clicker is easier to hack than an app. Clickers have been around a long time, and I think they're generally recognized as safe. On the other hand, the app (I assume) is secured via a username and password. Usernames and passwords have also been around for a long time, and have consistently been shown to be vulnerable to things like wide-scale breaches. (And I'm not talking about people using silly passwords, I'm talking about companies not securing their databases or using best practices storing passwords.) All in all, I still think it's an increased risk. The added convenience might outweigh that risk.
I wonder if the people worried about a garage door being hacked are the same ones that won't use higher than a 1% SRW :shock: .

I'm not saying it cannot be hacked, but that would be number 4999 on my list of things to worry about. If a hacker has nothing better to do than open and close my garage door...

batpot
Posts: 851
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:48 pm

Re: Smart Garage Door Openers

Post by batpot » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:40 pm

I got this one:
https://www.amazon.com/meross-Smart-Con ... B07L5DPK8P

Hooked it up to my lift master wall switch just like reviewer "Kevin". The remote openers are unaffected.

It just uses a magnetic sensor to detect open & close. Really like getting the notification.

Is it true the chamberlain one charges a monthly fee? The Meross does not.

Silk McCue
Posts: 3413
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: Smart Garage Door Openers

Post by Silk McCue » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:47 pm

batpot wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:40 pm
I got this one:
https://www.amazon.com/meross-Smart-Con ... B07L5DPK8P

Hooked it up to my lift master wall switch just like reviewer "Kevin". The remote openers are unaffected.

It just uses a magnetic sensor to detect open & close. Really like getting the notification.

Is it true the chamberlain one charges a monthly fee? The Meross does not.
Chamberlain doesn't charge a fee. I believe they have charged a fee in the past if you were wanting to implement If This Then That logic into the system (which I don't) but that is currently free until they decide otherwise. The product without the IFTTT gives me control over the unit via an iPhone app which is all that I need.

Cheers

Topic Author
mtmingus
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:15 pm

Re: Smart Garage Door Openers

Post by mtmingus » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:52 pm

Installed myQ today and get it to work without a problem.
One question I see conflict answer is:

Does myQ work with Alexa (without a fee)?

If not directly, any other way - there was a message popped up when I attempted to discover new device(s) in Alexa app, something like garagieo.com but I have the cheap myQ not that expensive garagieo.

Silk McCue
Posts: 3413
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: Smart Garage Door Openers

Post by Silk McCue » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:11 pm

mtmingus wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:52 pm
Installed myQ today and get it to work without a problem.
One question I see conflict answer is:

Does myQ work with Alexa (without a fee)?

If not directly, any other way - there was a message popped up when I attempted to discover new device(s) in Alexa app, something like garagieo.com but I have the cheap myQ not that expensive garagieo.
By looking at reviews of the MyQ on Amazon the answer is no. One reviewer stated that Chamberlain blocked it.

https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx14SOXM12MC8ZH

Cheers

Topic Author
mtmingus
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:15 pm

Re: Smart Garage Door Openers

Post by mtmingus » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:47 pm

Does not work with HomeKit either, unless you spend more money...

WorldWanderer
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:40 pm

Re: Smart Garage Door Openers

Post by WorldWanderer » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:05 pm

Reading this thread inspired me to buy/ install the Meross unit. $49 on Amazon. Easy installation connecting to 10 year old Chamberlain opener. Nice integration with Alexa. Now when I go out cycling I simply tap my phone to close the garage door, instead of hitting the button near the walkthrough door and running to beat the garage coming down, including jumping over the electric safety beam! I already had a Meross smart plug for my whole house fan in the attic. Nice app, and a breeze to schedule run and stop times. A real solid company.

WorldWanderer

Post Reply