Cars outside Apt broken into- Recommendation on Easy, Affordable Security System for Apartment

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Gardener

Cars outside Apt broken into- Recommendation on Easy, Affordable Security System for Apartment

Post by Gardener »

Last night, three cars were broken into last night outside of my ex-wife's apartment and the airbags were taken. Concerned less so about the cars and more about ex and my child's safety and peace of mind.

The lease is up in June and then my ex will move. What is an easy, low maintenance, low hassle security system? Any specific, brands, models you'd recommend? Ex has a car alarm for her truck. Any other precautions I can recommend she takes?

Another amateur question, can ex get out of contract w/out penalty for these safety concerns? Guessing the answer is no, but needed to ask.

Thank you!
Topic Author
Gardener

Re: Cars outside Apt broken into- Recommendation on Easy, Affordable Security System for Apartment

Post by Gardener »

Looked on Amazon and figured I'd go the easiest, simplest route first.

1. Bought 6 window/door magnet alarms that when the two magnets separate through window or door opening, emits a 130 db siren. 4.8/5 on Amazon
2. Bought ADT stickers for the front door.
3. Bought loud decibel keychain
junior

Re: Help Please- Recommendation on Easy, Affordable Security System for Apartment

Post by junior »

I doubt you can get out of the lease without a cost. Basically the apartment would have to be uninhabitable to get out of a lease and a car being broken into doesn't make it so.

Can't help on the security system but we had some cars broken into in the apartments where I live. It would never occur to me to think the apartments themselves were unsafe because someone broke into the cars. I never assumed someone who would break into cars would do the riskier crime of breaking into a home. Of course you have more information than me on how safe the neighborhood is. An alarm system is arguably nice for peace of mind.
Watty

Re: Cars outside Apt broken into- Recommendation on Easy, Affordable Security System for Apartment

Post by Watty »

I have the SimpliSafe system and it was not very expensive and it was easy to set up. The sensors are attached with adhesive strips to it should be easy to remove and set up in her new place when she moves

https://simplisafe.com/

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-b ... ty-system/

In some areas she will need to get an alarm permit so she should look into that.

There have been a number of threads on security systems that you should be able to look up.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I like the idea of an alarm with loud sirens and bells. I'm less interested in monitoring on my phone or having some call center hooked in for big bucks a month. If someone opens the window and all hell breaks loose noise wise, that's what I want. Something that's going to potentially drive away the intruder.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

I have had Simplisafe for a few years now and it works fine. I got it when I was in a rental and easily moved it to my current home. It has those easy to peel off adhesive strips for all the sensors, and I just bought some 3M strips of similar size to use to re-apply them at my current home. The basic alarm monitoring is $14.99+tax/mo. Keep in mind there is some up front cost to buy the alarm equipment, depending on how many sensors you need, probably a few hundred dollars, I had to buy additional sensors when I moved to my home (more doors, etc.) so all in probably $400+ (but it's a multi-floor house, so others may need less). I do like how it has smoke detectors, and the alarm service includes calling the fire department if those go off.

I have not tried Ring, but if it was available when I bought my system, I may have tried it, because it is only $9.99/mo and I see sales for their equipment all the time at Costco. For me, with the sunk cost of the equipment, not worth it to move from Simplisafe to Ring.

If the OP does not want alarm service, Ring is probably a better option.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:59 am I like the idea of an alarm with loud sirens and bells. I'm less interested in monitoring on my phone or having some call center hooked in for big bucks a month. If someone opens the window and all hell breaks loose noise wise, that's what I want. Something that's going to potentially drive away the intruder.
Best solution by far - ask your local law enforcement and they can explain why in detail.
Winston19

Post by Winston19 »

I am happy with abode. A cheaper diy option is Wyze.
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

Gardener wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:47 am Last night, three cars were broken into last night outside of my ex-wife's apartment and the airbags were taken.
Cars are an easy target for items such as airbags. After I read an article in the paper about trucks being stolen, I got this steering wheel and brake lock that I use.Thieves will have to go to another car to steal an airbag:
http://simjack.com:8185
Best Wishes, | Joe
Starper

Post by Starper »

Why would anybody steal airbags?
mpnret

Post by mpnret »

Starper wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:55 pm Why would anybody steal airbags?
Thieves can sell them to repair shops for big $$$. Airbags are the replacement for stereo system thefts.
megabad

Post by megabad »

Gardener wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:47 am Concerned less so about the cars and more about ex and my child's safety and peace of mind.

What is an easy, low maintenance, low hassle security system? Any specific, brands, models you'd recommend?
Remington, Mossberg, Winchester. 12 gauge double zero buck. I don't do much maintenance on mine and it seems to give me fairly extensive peace of mind in the home.

German Shepard, Rottweiler. model weighing in at 100lbs+. Much more maintenance/hassle. But more passive than my "security system" mentioned above. I just kind of let him do his thing, don't even have to get out of bed.

A little chirping bell on the wall doesn't give me too much peace of mind if I am worried about the immediate safety of a child.
Topic Author
Gardener

Post by Gardener »

Thank you everyone.

Agree that a dog would be best. But, will be too much work for the ex.

Interestingly, they only took Honda airbags. Thought about recommending a steering wheel lock for her pick up, but I bet the small inconvenience of it, would stop her from using it.
Topic Author
Gardener

Post by Gardener »

Not opposed to buying a gun. Not so comfortable with the ex carrying one around though...
sk2101

Post by sk2101 »

Gardener wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:27 am
Interestingly, they only took Honda airbags. Thought about recommending a steering wheel lock for her pick up, but I bet the small inconvenience of it, would stop her from using it.
Although the situation is upsetting I don't think that your ex is in any personal danger as those are petty thieves that are targeting the cars, they don't go inside residences.

They target mostly hondas as its easy to resell, so she is probably safe.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/ca ... 523799002/
I would be more concerned about rims, if she drives anything that is desirable. I have seen lots of reported wheels stolen in my neighborhood, thieves usually target late model Hondas and Toyotas but any newish car with expensive rims could be a target, I suppose.
Last edited by sk2101 on Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Gardener wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:47 am Last night, three cars were broken into last night outside of my ex-wife's apartment and the airbags were taken. Concerned less so about the cars and more about ex and my child's safety and peace of mind.
The lease is up in June and then my ex will move. What is an easy, low maintenance, low hassle security system? Any specific, brands, models you'd recommend? Ex has a car alarm for her truck. Any other precautions I can recommend she takes?
Another amateur question, can ex get out of contract w/out penalty for these safety concerns? Guessing the answer is no, but needed to ask.
Thank you!
1. My opinion is that most of these car alarm systems are usually ignored AND are very prone to going off a lot - false alarms - even when you open the car with a key of FOB. We bought our 2002 Camry two years ago - and the original owner purchased an additional fancy security system - that seemed very complicated and very subject to going off a lot. I soon disabled it - and now have only the standard Toyota system - that is plenannoying.

2. Carry good comprehensive insurance
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

dm200 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:16 pm
Gardener wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:47 am Last night, three cars were broken into last night outside of my ex-wife's apartment and the airbags were taken. Concerned less so about the cars and more about ex and my child's safety and peace of mind.
Thank you!
1. My opinion is that most of these car alarm systems are usually ignored AND are very prone to going off a lot - false alarms - even when you open the car with a key of FOB. We bought our 2002 Camry two years ago - and the original owner purchased an additional fancy security system - that seemed very complicated and very subject to going off a lot. I soon disabled it - and now have only the standard Toyota system - that is plenannoying.

2. Carry good comprehensive insurance
"2. Carry good comprehensive insurance"
With the OP's clearly defined goal of personal safety these insurance policies offer no value or protection.