Stinky Front Loader (Washer)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Stinky Front Loader (Washer)

Post by Leesbro63 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:06 am

My 2015 vintage front loader stinks. NOTHING seems to really get rid of the smell. Clorox, baking soda, vinegar, Affresh....all work for a few days to a week...10 days at most. I saw an ad for a product called “Brogrow”. Maybe some one here has tried it?

I am sure to clean the filter and drain thingie regularly. I leave the door open (except when it stinks so bad that I don’t want the house smelling).

Before this we had a vintage 2003 front loader that also got stinky, but could be remedied by manually cleaning inside the rubber door seal. The seal on the newer machine is fused to the metal/hard rubber. So it can’t be cleaned. I think the stink is coming from inside the machine, however, whereas the old machine was from the seal.

I’ll never buy another front loader, but am not ready to replace this. Any help is appreciated.

Dudley

Re: Stinky Front Loader (Washer)

Post by Dudley » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:12 am

smells like what ?

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:18 am

Found a few links but I am not going to cut and paste since they are preceded by ads. But you can use these terms in the search engine:

How to fix a washing machine that smells of mould / rotten eggs

How to fix a stinky clothes washer machine

I went back to an old fashioned top loader when I needed a new machine. I chose Speed Queen. I figured if it could handle the abuse in a laundry mat, it could handle home use.
Last edited by Mr. Rumples on Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yooper

Post by Yooper » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:47 am

Our front loader is 9 years old and we've avoided the odor problem, but we religiously run the sanitation cycle once per month with the Tide cleaning packet, and leave the door open when not in use. Never wiped down the seal and only occasionally clean out the filter trap. Although I keep telling myself I probably should...

As for your problem, you could try Gear Aid Revivex Odor Eliminator (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079V ... UTF8&psc=1) and see if that helps. I've used it on nasty, NASTY sandals and shoes and it's worked well.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:34 am

I saw my Bogle-name in the title of this thread, so I had to chime in.

My clothes washer is not stinky. But some would say that my feet are.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

diy60

Post by diy60 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:02 am

Leesbro63 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:06 am
My 2015 vintage front loader stinks.
I battled this problem for about a year. I concluded the issue was low volume flow in these front load high efficient washer causes excess build up of crud within the pump and hoses. Modern large scale industrial systems utilize cip systems with acid and caustic rinse cycles to clean the fluid pathways. Having battled this same stinky issue in my front loader a few years back I decided to approximately mimic pbw brewery cleaner by adding a small scoop of oxiclean and tsp (green box-phosphate free) to each wash. The problem cleared up after about 10 loads. After clearing up I cut back to every other load, but always end the last load with the additional concoction. My washer has been stink-free for the last 3 years.

forgeblast

Post by forgeblast » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:16 am

What we do is to make sure the last load we run that day is whites with bleach. Then as soon as its done keep the door open and it stays smelling nice.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:20 am

https://www.concrobium.com/how-to-fight ... ndry-room/
Front End Loading Washer
Front-end loading washing machines sometimes develop mold on the rubber gaskets between the drum and the door, resulting in a damp, earthy smell.

Try spraying Concrobium Mold Control onto the surface and allow to dry.
Then clean the area with a Concrobium dampened cloth, leaving a thin layer of the product on the surface to protect from future mold. Leave the door open to allow the product a chance to dry completely on the surface before use.
Tip: Be sure to have proper ventilation and equipment connections to washing appliances to avoid excess moisture and humidity build up that cause mold growth.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:29 am

JoMoney wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:20 am
https://www.concrobium.com/how-to-fight ... ndry-room/
Front End Loading Washer
Front-end loading washing machines sometimes develop mold on the rubber gaskets between the drum and the door, resulting in a damp, earthy smell.

Try spraying Concrobium Mold Control onto the surface and allow to dry.
Then clean the area with a Concrobium dampened cloth, leaving a thin layer of the product on the surface to protect from future mold. Leave the door open to allow the product a chance to dry completely on the surface before use.
Tip: Be sure to have proper ventilation and equipment connections to washing appliances to avoid excess moisture and humidity build up that cause mold growth.
The newer machines have the rubber gasket fused to the metal. There’s no way to get in there like on the first generation front loader machines.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:36 am

Leesbro63 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:29 am
The newer machines have the rubber gasket fused to the metal. There’s no way to get in there like on the first generation front loader machines.
May depend on the brand. The rubber gasket/seal on my new Samsung front-loading washer purchased in May is completely removable. It is different than my prior LG front loader as it has a metal ring within it which makes it easier I believe for one person to take off/put on. I saw the tech remove it completely while looking for a leak recently.

Sorry to hear about your machine’s stink. I do the same as many above - bleach in last load, door and detergent dispenser always open, dry door/seal after last load, and run clean cycle as prompted by machine every 30-40 loads with white vinegar added to dispenser and interior. It’s a high-maintenance appliance!

ETA: the point about detergents below is good. Some of the really concentrated liquids really hunk inside the machine. Use the least amount recommended.
Last edited by HomeStretch on Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:36 am

I developed a musty smell after having no problems for years. Afresh, vinegar, baking soda, only helped temporarily. Eventually realized the smell started when I stopped doing a load a week in very hot water. Most of wash is done at cool temperatures. Using the hottest water setting about once a month now with no more issues.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:39 am

Leesbro63 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:06 am
My 2015 vintage front loader stinks. NOTHING seems to really get rid of the smell. Clorox, baking soda, vinegar, Affresh....all work for a few days to a week...10 days at most. I saw an ad for a product called “Brogrow”. Maybe some one here has tried it?

I am sure to clean the filter and drain thingie regularly. I leave the door open (except when it stinks so bad that I don’t want the house smelling).

Before this we had a vintage 2003 front loader that also got stinky, but could be remedied by manually cleaning inside the rubber door seal. The seal on the newer machine is fused to the metal/hard rubber. So it can’t be cleaned. I think the stink is coming from inside the machine, however, whereas the old machine was from the seal.

I’ll never buy another front loader, but am not ready to replace this. Any help is appreciated.
If the smell is coming from inside the washer, I am wondering if there is material in the drum that got stuck inside, and is now trapping moisture and mold. Perhaps a small piece of fabric or tissue went through the drain holes. I had a toothpick go through one time.

The washer really shouldn’t smell at all. Have you done a clean cycle with bleach? Have you cleaned out the discharge hose? Is there a proper air gap where the hose goes into the stand pipe? Do you run your finger or a cloth around the fused door seal? Also, what model is your washer machine?

smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:44 am

We have front loading washers. It's a design problem because the moisture cannot escape which leads to mold and mildew. Chemical cleaning is only a short term fix. We got a Washer Fan years ago and that pretty much eliminated the odor problem.

https://washerfan.com/
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:49 am

We switched to Tide powder. Leave the door open until dry.

Smell gone. We had some issues with liquid detergent. Researched. Made the change to powder. Solved.

Pick your powder.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words. Whole food, plant based. Bing it.

anon_investor

Post by anon_investor » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:14 am

I found that for my front load washer (also circa 2015) I have a smell when I use the "eco" cycle too much. When I use a normal cycle it does not occur. I think it has to do with how much water is used during the rinse cycle and clearing out the drainage tube. Just my 2 cents.

dalbright

Post by dalbright » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:16 am

We used lemi-shine and that helped significantly with the smell. Ours used to have a strong mold/mildew smell and washing a load without clothes with this product once every few months made an amazing difference. I thought the lemon smell just masked it but days later it still smelled normal. Highly recommend despite my distrust of such magical products.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:23 am

Does yours have a tub clean cycle? I run it with bleach (on my LG front-loader) and that seems to be effective.

txmu541

Post by txmu541 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:43 am

On my LG I removed the detergent tray completely, and when I reached my hand in there, there was a layer of slime. I cleaned that, the trap on the bottom front, and all around the rubber gasket before running an over the counter cleaner and that did the trick. Now after every wash I open the detergent drawer and the front door. Some washers, like my mother's Kenmore have a light that comes on when the door is open, so it dissuades people from leaving the door open which is unfortunate.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:21 am

smackboy1 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:44 am
We got a Washer Fan years ago and that pretty much eliminated the odor problem.
Just when you think you've seen everything.... :D

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:31 am

Leave the door open.

JBeck

Post by JBeck » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:33 am

You are supposed to leave the door open on front loaders

dignan

Post by dignan » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:14 pm

After every use, let it dry
1. Leave door open
2. Remove detergent tray

Once a month
1. Run clean cycle with vinegar
2. Clean inside detergent tray
3. Empty and clean filter trap at bottom
4. Clean inside door rim seal

Check inside the detergent tray. I found mold buildup in it. It took a toothbrush and a few cycles of vinegar.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:28 pm

I just add a few tablespoons of white vinegar to every load and let the washer dry with the door open.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca

Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:30 pm

02nz wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:23 am
Does yours have a tub clean cycle? I run it with bleach (on my LG front-loader) and that seems to be effective.
Mine is also an LG. How often do you do this?

02nz

Post by 02nz » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:42 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:30 pm
02nz wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:23 am
Mine is also an LG. How often do you do this?
Maybe once every few months, not sure what the manual recommends.

EagertoLearnMore

Post by EagertoLearnMore » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:13 pm

I use the same cycle as mentioned above TUBCLEAN. I run that every few months and no smell. After I run TUBCLEAN, I remove the entire detergent drawer and clean it in the sink, clean the filter at the bottom, and before putting the drawer back I clean in that space.
As others have mentioned, I believe the use of many loads with cold water wash adds to the problem. When using SANITARY more frequently there is no need to use TUBCLEAN.

seppatown

Post by seppatown » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:28 pm

1. Are you cleaning out the drain plug and filter at the lower bottom left of the machine?

2. After #1, perform the following three empty washes on tub clean mode or at the highest temperature setting, with the following solutions in the detergent dispenser:

a. CLR solution
b. Bleach
c. Mildew spray

3. Check also your hot and cold water inlet filters and clean them

Background: restored and now use 20x per week a used lg front load from a family that never cleaned it (unit is squeaky clean), chemistry degree

Don’t blame the machine - these newer LG front loaders are engineering and logistical marvels at their price point. Combined with modern detergent technology, clothes really can’t get any cleaner.

Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:41 pm

seppatown wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:28 pm
1. Are you cleaning out the drain plug and filter at the lower bottom left of the machine?

2. After #1, perform the following three empty washes on tub clean mode or at the highest temperature setting, with the following solutions in the detergent dispenser:

a. CLR solution
b. Bleach
c. Mildew spray

3. Check also your hot and cold water inlet filters and clean them

Background: restored and now use 20x per week a used lg front load from a family that never cleaned it (unit is squeaky clean), chemistry degree

Don’t blame the machine - these newer LG front loaders are engineering and logistical marvels at their price point. Combined with modern detergent technology, clothes really can’t get any cleaner.
I'll try this. But tell me, what is "mildew spray" and where do I get it? And do I just spray the washer? And do I put the CLR solution (I've heard of it and will Google it) in the detergent dispenser?

Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:43 pm

Elsebet wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:28 pm
I just add a few tablespoons of white vinegar to every load and let the washer dry with the door open.
Doesn't this cause your clothes to smell like vinegar?

seppatown

Post by seppatown » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:56 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:41 pm
I'll try this. But tell me, what is "mildew spray" and where do I get it? And do I just spray the washer? And do I put the CLR solution (I've heard of it and will Google it) in the detergent dispenser?
Try Chlorox Tilex, but instead of spraying, pour directly into the detergent dispenser like the other solutions.

I would avoid using vinegar. IMO it’s an old wive’s tale and will likely hurt more than help as can disrupt the pH of the detergent cocktail during wash cycles.

For those who have mold-stained gaskets, Tilex is also by far the easiest way to clean without a full-on gasket replacement.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:31 pm

seppatown wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:56 pm
Leesbro63 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:41 pm
Try Chlorox Tilex, but instead of spraying, pour directly into the detergent dispenser like the other solutions.

I would avoid using vinegar. IMO it’s an old wive’s tale and will likely hurt more than help as can disrupt the pH of the detergent cocktail during wash cycles.

For those who have mold-stained gaskets, Tilex is also by far the easiest way to clean without a full-on gasket replacement.
Isn't Tilex a Sodium Hypochlorite solution? The same as bleach, but might be dilluted in more water.

seppatown

Post by seppatown » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:45 pm

criticalmass wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:31 pm
Isn't Tilex a Sodium Hypochlorite solution? The same as bleach, but might be dilluted in more water.
Bleach is listed in the msds, but from my experience Tilex does a better job handling soap scum and mildew.

seppatown

Post by seppatown » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:04 pm

https://www.thecloroxcompany.com/en-us/ ... 600305516/

I got curious and decided to look for a more thorough list of ingredients for Tilex Mold and Mildew. TBH nothing really stands out as far as cleaning ability vs plain bleach, but the solution is noticeably more viscous, and dimethicone can act as a lubricant.

nordsteve

Post by nordsteve » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:12 pm

I run the monthly cleaning cycle on mine using bleach (same time of the month when I run the Affresh cleaning on the dishwasher). No issues since starting to do so.

FGal

Post by FGal » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:19 pm

Do you use liquid fabric softener? It may be time to stop that as it is filled with stuff that is designed to coat your clothes, so may be contributing to your washer's gunk/smell.

Something you may want to try is adding a full cup of lemon scented ammonia to the wash. Reduce the amount of soap by half. I use this as a degreaser/booster for really dirty clothes in my regular top loading washer. I'd had some dark teeshirts that continually had deodorant stains (white film) and also cooking oil splatters that had been washed multiple times magically removed by doing this.

I get a BIG jug of the lemon/ammonia at the dollar store.

Ammonia removes oils/slimy stuff and residue, is not harmful to clothes (but obviously test yourself if you are concerned on some older stuff) and I don't detect any scent other than clean when the clothes are dry and I don't use hardly any soap and line dry (so no fabric softener either). No need to use in conjunction with vinegar or baking soda (not necessary and just wastes the products). But do make sure not to mix it with bleach - VERY dangerous/harmful chemical reaction!

It could help reduce/break down any sludge in your machine. In any case, it's cheap to try and shouldn't harm anything.
FIREd as of March 2015!

Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:09 pm

Why do people always blame the machine instead of their own incompetence?

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:24 pm

Bogle7 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:09 pm
Why do people always blame the machine instead of their own incompetence?
It's easier to blame a machine. At least a machine let's you know when it's it of balance though. :)

Seriously, don't use fabric softeners in washing machines. They are a fabulous food for mold.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:25 am

We have a Speed Queen (commercial heavy duty) top load washer and only use Tide (free & gentle), nothing stinks there. Our dryer is a GE front loader, and we use one sheet of Snuggle per load. Everything smells nice there too.

Ed_Sandwich

Post by Ed_Sandwich » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:22 am

We've had no problems with ours, but we keep the door open all the time, except when we're running it.

tivattom

Post by tivattom » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:39 am

This was an easy problem for me to solve with my LG washer. Simply switch to POWDERED (he) detergent instead of liquid detergent.

It seems that liquid detergent does not rinse as clean as the powdered. Liquid leaves a smelly slime coating the inside of the internal machine parts.

Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:31 am

UPDATE: It appears that TIVATTOM's suggestion to use powered detergent WORKS! I can't believe it ended up being such a simple solution. I'm not 100% positive that this is the fix, but after sanitizing the washing machine with with a clean cycle and Clorox, it's been about 17 days with no stink. This is the longest it's ever gone. So it seems like powered detergent is the solution, so to speak!

othermike27

Post by othermike27 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:22 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:31 am
UPDATE: It appears that TIVATTOM's suggestion to use powered detergent WORKS! I can't believe it ended up being such a simple solution. I'm not 100% positive that this is the fix, but after sanitizing the washing machine with with a clean cycle and Clorox, it's been about 17 days with no stink. This is the longest it's ever gone. So it seems like powered detergent is the solution, so to speak!
Great to hear. We used a Tide packet about a week ago (suggested upthread by Yooper) and it seems to have worked as well. Absolutely no more musty mildew smell.

Bogle7

powder vs liquid

Post by Bogle7 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:54 pm

tivattom wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:39 am
This was an easy problem for me to solve with my LG washer. Simply switch to POWDERED (he) detergent instead of liquid detergent.
This is interesting as our Miele washer has a built-in liquid detergent/bleach dispenser called TwinDos.
https://www.miele.com/brand/en/twindos-28464.htm

Lazareth

Post by Lazareth » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:27 pm

Hate the front loaders. We bought a new Speed Queen top-loader in 2018 and we are very happy with it. Runs silently and washes thoroughly. My wife loves it. I was hesitant to pay the premium Speed Queen price at first, but now am very pleased that the appliance store guy convinced me.
"I want to light the lights of patriotism." - Lech Walesa

Freddy

Post by Freddy » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:06 pm

We use the Affresh tablets from Amazon once a month and always leave the door open. Also, never leave wet clothes in there for any period of time.

Socrates

Post by Socrates » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:29 pm

I always wipe out the giant gasket with a paper towel. It holds some water which can cause mold. And yes....leave the door open.
“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.

RJC

Post by RJC » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:56 pm

We used a mix of baking soda/vinegar and it hasn't smelled since. Keeping the door open also helps.

TMQ206

Post by TMQ206 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:31 am

Anaerobic bugs hate oxygen and most bugs hate dehydration. Leave the door open as others suggest. Easy fix.

I bought our current front loader when our inherited front loader gasket went bad—NOT an easy fix. The “new” one was a never-used floor model that was scratched during installation in the home of a more discerning customer. So, for 60% off I bought the damaged floor unit. The appliance store kindly double sold it, so a new one was delivered to me anyway. We learned quickly to leave the door open.

ElJefeDelQueso

Post by ElJefeDelQueso » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:46 am

Socrates wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:29 pm
I always wipe out the giant gasket with a paper towel. It holds some water which can cause mold. And yes....leave the door open.
Agree with previous posts
Wipe gasket thoroughly
Leave door open after every wash
Use Affresh, the first time do 5 or so times in a row to get a good initial cleaning, then monthly.

crinkles2

Post by crinkles2 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:57 am

We have a high efficiency front loader as we are on rainwater tank water and need to be economical.

Our clothes developed a terrible smell not too long after starting using it. The rainwater probably has a high organic load to start the things off. We were going crazy trying to figure it out. Id be at work - and think - who smells like that - it was me!

We starting using laundry liquid with odour defence: https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/prod ... dry-liquid

And at least once a week do towels on a hot wash (we mostly do cold washes).

This has indeed solved the problem.