New Bosch dishwasher already faulted

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
batpot

New Bosch dishwasher already faulted

Post by batpot » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:53 pm

Called the 800 number and without even asking for model number, let alone serial number, she walked me through a reset procedure that seemed to work... Running cycle now.

I asked if there was a way to prevent this, and she just said to call back if it happens again.l (not necessary; it's not a long sequence).

This is very disconcerting; bought new on Sep 20.

Is this a "normal" hiccup, or a sign of future permanent part failure?

I know there's a lot of Bosch owners out there, and Google has failed me so far.

Bogle7

Re: New Bosch dishwasher already faulted

Post by Bogle7 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:54 pm

Keep meticulous records.

jbuzolich

Post by jbuzolich » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:19 pm

Barely a month old? I think I'd give it that one reset only. If it happens a second time within the next two weeks I'd probably be driving that back and demanding an exchange from the store.

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:26 pm

jbuzolich wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:19 pm
Barely a month old? I think I'd give it that one reset only. If it happens a second time within the next two weeks I'd probably be driving that back and demanding an exchange from the store.
Agreed. Did you happen to have a power outage or any electrical storm which might have upset the motherboard requiring a reboot? (just guessing)

We installed a Bosch six months ago and no problems whatsoever. (knock on wood)

Topic Author
batpot

Post by batpot » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:48 pm

Big Dog wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:26 pm
jbuzolich wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:19 pm
Agreed. Did you happen to have a power outage or any electrical storm which might have upset the motherboard requiring a reboot? (just guessing)

We installed a Bosch six months ago and no problems whatsoever. (knock on wood)
Don't think so. I have UPSs all over, and none went off.

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:51 pm

If you haven't done it, make sure the dishwasher is plugged into a surge protector. Probably has nothing to do with your issue, but it might keep the control board from frying in a power surge.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious.

mancich

Post by mancich » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:23 am

Our 5 year old Ascenta does this sometimes. I turn it on, and it shows like 15 minutes on the display, when it should be more like 2 hours. I have to hold the start button for 5 seconds, close the door, it makes some sounds for a minute or so, and then beeps as if it's done. I then open it, turn it off, turn it back on, and it is ready to go. Strange, but doesn't happen often so I live with it. Yours is new, so I would not live with it.

AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:26 am

I totally feel your pain. This type of failure is not acceptable and should not be tolerated. I would investigate return to place of purchase, if possible. You will be kicking yourself in the future when more issues pop up. Bosch is not a quality product as most would think. Several years ago we added a gourmet kitchen and bought all new appliances ~ $9K. We bought what we thought was a high end product - Bosch. Huge mistake. :oops: Four of six appliances have needed major repairs in past several years - Frig (4X), Micro (3X), Dishwasher (1x), Hood Vent (1X). Luckily, I purchased an extended warranty, so the Frig was fixed free every time. I had to fix the DW & Hood Vent myself. Last time the Micro died, it was arcing sparks badly on the inside. I had to replace the magnetron unit myself. My convection oven is awesome with zero issues. I'm just glad I did not purchase the oven with the microwave attached, as a lemon microwave would also cause a replacement of the oven.

UALflyer

Post by UALflyer » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:21 am

We have a Bosch 800 dishwasher at home, and we put Bosch Ascenta in our rentals. Bosch's reliability has been subpar, as we have had 4 service visits in the first year and have even had to replace the control board. It was all covered under warranty, but did not exactly inspire a lot of confidence in Bosch. Likewise, Bosch's customer service leaves a lot to be desired, as the reps are frequently rude and dismissive, and the wait times for a service appointment are 2 weeks or so.

I tried submitting a review with my experience on Bosch's website, but the review was rejected. Apparently, Bosch moderates consumer reviews on its website, and rejects many negative reviews. So, the reviews that you see on Bosch's website are there for marketing purposes.

TBillT

Post by TBillT » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:26 am

We are needing new dishwasher ASAP....thinking Kitchenaid but hard to pick these days.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:28 am

UALflyer wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:21 am
I tried submitting a review with my experience on Bosch's website, but the review was rejected. Apparently, Bosch moderates consumer reviews on its website, and rejects many negative reviews. So, the reviews that you see on Bosch's website are there for marketing purposes.
Nearly every company does that. Even Levi’s/Dockers. Anything unfavorable doesn’t meet company policy and gets chucked.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:30 am

TBillT wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:26 am
We are needing new dishwasher ASAP....thinking Kitchenaid but hard to pick these days.
Many kitchenaid models are not different inside than the other Whirlpool models. But the higher end Whirlpool (kitchenaid) are generally higher quality. Look for Black Friday sales this month.

ReedMan

Post by ReedMan » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:28 pm

We’ve had a Bosch for 6/7 years and couldn’t be happier. We’ve only had one issue, but it was in the plumbing line, not the dishwasher.

Voltaire2.0

Post by Voltaire2.0 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:52 pm

My 5-month old Bosch dishwasher has been outstanding, but if I needed to reset it the process is obvious: hold down the Stop button for 3 seconds. Turn it off and turn it on again.

I bought my Bosch from an appliance store, not the big box. It's like buying a car: service is at least as important as the purchase price.

BeerTooth

Post by BeerTooth » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:00 pm

TBillT wrote:
I'm beginning to contemplate going back to hand-washing dishes. I wonder if the "labor-saving appliances" really amount to much after all the time and money we have spent repairing them, replacing them, running vinegar rinse cycles, trying different soaps, replacing water-damaged flooring, removing the spray arms to clean out the crud, etc.

My old trusty soapy sponge and dish towel never failed when I hand-washed dishes in the sink in my college apartments

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:13 pm

BeerTooth wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:00 pm
TBillT wrote:
I'm beginning to contemplate going back to hand-washing dishes. I wonder if the "labor-saving appliances" really amount to much after all the time and money we have spent repairing them, replacing them, running vinegar rinse cycles, trying different soaps, replacing water-damaged flooring, removing the spray arms to clean out the crud, etc.

My old trusty soapy sponge and dish towel never failed when I hand-washed dishes in the sink in my college apartments
We recently had an issue with our "budget" GE washer, which is ~8yrs old. It was a freak issue, something got stuck on the washer arm and my wife used too much force to get it out...broken washer arm. Otherwise not a single issue, ever. Looks like it is a pretty simply fix and all of $25, but we are in no rush because it was basically used as a rack by us. All dishes are washed when used, and we occasionally (maybe once a week) turn it on to sanitize dishes. If we get the itch to fix it in the next month, I'd be surprised.

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:16 pm

Voltaire2.0 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:52 pm
My 5-month old Bosch dishwasher has been outstanding, but if I needed to reset it the process is obvious: hold down the Stop button for 3 seconds. Turn it off and turn it on again.

I bought my Bosch from an appliance store, not the big box. It's like buying a car: service is at least as important as the purchase price.
Our Bosch 800 has the same issue. Occasionally the controls are non-responsive. Doing the reset as above reboots the controller. Otherwise it's been very reliable and very quiet.

EDIT: Hold the Start button for three seconds until it resets. If that doesn't work, try unplugging the power, wait a minute, then plug it back in.
Last edited by TimeRunner on Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious.

Topic Author
batpot

Post by batpot » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:29 pm

Mine was stuck in "Auto" mode; even after a power cycle.
The buttons are on the top. The trick was to hold the reset button down until 001 dispalys in the time window. Then close it completely. It made some noise for a minute or so, then seemed to be back to normal. 2 cycles so far.

I'm outside of Lowes return policy, but did get an additional 24 months of coverage through Citi. Looks like I'm stuck with service calls if it keeps acting up. :|

The problem with dishwashers, is there's no such thing as quality. I asked local appliance store what the "Speed Queen" of dishwashers is, and he admitted there really is no equivalency, and then said Miele is probably the closest.

According to this video, 10% of Bosch had service calls in the first year; Miele was 5.6%.
https://youtu.be/UxP9Ak496EI?t=126
Those numbers are atrocious, and it's pathetic that the word "quality" be used for either of these brands...and yet the others are even worse.

zlandar

Post by zlandar » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:37 pm

Have a Bosch dishwasher purchased from Lowe's almost 4 years old. The first one was broken right off the bat. It would only do a light rinse cycle and would refuse to do anything else. Took a month for Lowe's to replace it with an identical model. The replacement has worked fine since.

El Greco

Post by El Greco » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:22 am

TBillT wrote:
I have replaced 3 appliances in the last three years, dishwasher, washing machine, and dryer, all with Whirpool models, all with zero issues. I picked models that were simple in design and function and in the medium-priced area of the product line. The dishwasher that I replaced was also a Whirlpool, 7 years old, and still worked fine. The reason was that it was black-colored and clashed with DW's new kitchen decorating scheme. I (reluctantly) donated it to a RE-STORE.

TBillT

Post by TBillT » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:28 am

We ended up with the Bosch 300 series...wish us luck!

I would have gone with KitchenAid but the color I liked (blackeded SS) was almost $300 more so the heck with it.
My significant other was in panic mode, so had to move fast.

j0nnyg1984

Post by j0nnyg1984 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:05 pm

I ripped my dishwasher out earlier this year during my remodel. 38 years old and I’ve turned on a dishwasher a total of two times. I installed all new Kitchenaid appliances - aside from a bent panel (that was fixed under warranty immediately), I haven’t had any issues.

I definitely wouldn’t put up with that for too long. Get on them to fix / replace it!

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:37 pm

I don't know anything about the issue you had. However, I can tell you I've had 2 Bosch dishwashers for a total of 16 years and never required service on either. One was 11 years old when I moved and still functioning perfectly and I still have the other one. There was a recall on the cord for one and they came and changed it out but it didn't keep it from working (apparently there was a fire hazard).