The Shade Store -anyone use them or have recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
crockpotinvesting

The Shade Store -anyone use them or have recommendations

Post by crockpotinvesting » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:47 pm

We have a big window, about 120 inches that needs a blind. It’s awkward to get to so we are thinking of getting a motorized shade. We went to The Shade Store we were really impressed but as expected pricey :oops: we got a quote of about $3k plus $450 for installation. The price was about what I was expecting but I was shocked by installation cost.

Anyone ever buy from them? Also, anyone ever ask to have installation fee waived? I’m assuming it’s very easy to install. I’m guessing you screw a few mounts into the molding then it sits on top.

Also, any recommendations on other shade stores would be greatly appreciated.

batpot

Re: The Shade Store -anyone use them or have recommendations

Post by batpot » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:03 pm

Diy.
We got non motorised cellular blinds, and was shocked at the cost of the install. Like 4 holes per window - 6 for the big ones, and they just clip in place.

Started looking in late winter, and settled on select blinds when they had a good discount. Ultimately paid half of the next lowest bid.

All that being said, motorized need power, and if $450 includes routing to junction box, that's a bargain.
If they're just plugging into a wall outlet, you can probably diy.

Topic Author
crockpotinvesting

Post by crockpotinvesting » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:28 am

batpot wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:03 pm
Diy.
We got non motorised cellular blinds, and was shocked at the cost of the install. Like 4 holes per window - 6 for the big ones, and they just clip in place.

Started looking in late winter, and settled on select blinds when they had a good discount. Ultimately paid half of the next lowest bid.

All that being said, motorized need power, and if $450 includes routing to junction box, that's a bargain.

Battery operated hahaha. The installer doesn’t even have to bend over to plug it in.

FlyAF

Post by FlyAF » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:04 am

I don't have any experience with this place, but I recently had the same thing installed for a 10' window/door from a local guy. He could've used them, I don't know, he obviously didn't manufacture it himself. Wireless, battery operated, remote controlled, 10' x 8', grand total was $2,500. He didn't break out the installation separately so I don't know what he charged for that piece, but yes it is very easy and fast. Him and his son took 45 minutes or so if that helps.

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:05 am

I recently bought 2 similar motorized shades for windows that are in high ceiling (20") rooms. The light comes in the afternoon and blinds you, so needed motorized with the little remote. Pretty handy. We went with 3 day blinds, have used them on outfitting our last two houses with new horizontal blinds, the rep in my area is a super reliable pro who has been in the business for 15+ years (some guys love what they do, even if it's selling blinds). He always gives me the latest coupon / discount as 3DB always advertises in the weekly junk mail or catalogs. Give them a call and mention you want the best price available in the weekly mailers to beat a competitor.
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten

batpot

Post by batpot » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:47 pm

crockpotinvesting wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:28 am
batpot wrote:
Diy.

Battery operated hahaha. The installer doesn’t even have to bend over to plug it in.
yeah, but you'll be climbing up to change batteries. Joke's on you. :mrgreen:

I mean, 120" = 10 feet which means you might need to rent 2 ladders instead of one? Assuming you can't reach with your current ladder?
Should be easy to convince a spouse or friend to help.
I'd definitely shop around.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:56 pm

We bought a five panel sliding system to cover a sliding door (replacing vertical blinds) from Shade Store. Quality is high and good service, including an installer who realized he had the wrong mount for the blind and stopped work before he drilled holes into the wall that would have needed patching. They sent two guys to do the install which definitely makes the job go fast and reduced chance of any damage.

It was expensive but we did not find anything we liked at a lower cost.

Tribonian

Post by Tribonian » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:29 pm

It doesn’t look all that difficult to DIY: https://youtu.be/8_CvDFx5QFw

phxjcc

Post by phxjcc » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:50 am

I used blinds r us
Great

avenger

Post by avenger » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:40 am

We used them. In some ways you get what you pay for, although it was quite expensive. The customer service was excellent, we had to do nothing, and the follow up for issues after the install was nothing short of perfect. Plus the options are very nice. That being said, prepare your pocket book. Oh, and we also used an interior designer for the other furnishings for the first floor of our new house. This was his recommendation. We ended up using the shade store for the entire house. My tolerance to deal projects like that on my own is essentially nonexistent, particularly when there are professionals who can do it.

Your mileage may vary.
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [3 fund portfolio: VTI, VXUS, SV fund (yield 3.01%)]

FlyAF

Post by FlyAF » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:56 am

batpot wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:47 pm
crockpotinvesting wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:28 am
batpot wrote:
Diy.

yeah, but you'll be climbing up to change batteries. Joke's on you. :mrgreen:

I mean, 120" = 10 feet which means you might need to rent 2 ladders instead of one? Assuming you can't reach with your current ladder?
Should be easy to convince a spouse or friend to help.
I'd definitely shop around.
The batteries are actually inside the "roll" and aren't removed or anything like that. There is a port on one side that you plug a USB type cord into to charge for a couple of hours every few months. I'm going on 2 months with heavy usage and have not charged the thing yet.

eer_no_evil

Post by eer_no_evil » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:40 am

The shade store is expensive- I offered the guy who did my measurements cash to install on his own time to cut down cost- def helped me save some money.

flarf

Post by flarf » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:47 pm

If you are comfortable installing your own: https://automaticblindsandshades.com/

Have used them twice. They're very helpful if you have any questions as well.