RESOLVED: less expensive alternative to Soda Stream for home-made / "no name" Cola?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
synthfan23

RESOLVED: less expensive alternative to Soda Stream for home-made / "no name" Cola?

Post by synthfan23 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:46 am

Are there any good & less expensive alternatives to Soda Stream for making my own cola? I buy a lot tiny six-packs of Sam's Club cola at Walmart (as I am not a Sam's Club Member). Seems wasteful in more ways than one (money + packaging waste).
[I am, however, both a BJs & a Costco member--for now. Costco needs to build a store in, or very close to, Clermont. Sick of having to drive out to Millenia area of Orlando, FL for my $1.50 hot dog / soda combo + other items I want to purchase.]
Anyway... yeah. I see Cramer (who I ignore, always; unless I want to have a laugh) still promotes Soda Stream as a stock. So I presume their retail product is quite likely overpriced. Don't care about the stock. Only care about having an inexpensive source of carbonated "no name" soda at the ready to, on occasion, chase fine Scotch & Irish Whiskey (only need it for Whiskies aged 18 or or more years). I like my whiskey's neat--no ice please. OK, quitting while I'm ahead: If I rattle-on any further about either Liquor & Wine Snobbery I'll never stop.. :beer :moneybag :oops:
Last edited by synthfan23 on Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Figaro

Re: Less expensive alternative to Soda Stream for home-made / "no name" Cola?

Post by Figaro » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:53 am

Work for a fast food restaurant that has a soda fountain. Refill your reuseable mug. Rinse repeat etc etc... :happy

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:53 am

Why are you chasing fine Scotch with no-name cheap cola? Seems like a waste of fine Scotch.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:56 am

A Google search will show you that some have "hacked" Sodastream devices with external CO2 tanks.

If one homebrews beer, then having a key of carbonated water is easy.

https://tasteofartisan.com/how-to-make- ... ted-water/
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:08 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:56 am
A Google search will show you that some have "hacked" Sodastream devices with external CO2 tanks.

If one homebrews beer, then having a key of carbonated water is easy.

https://tasteofartisan.com/how-to-make- ... ted-water/
It is not clear whether OP is after carbonated water or cola.

If cola- mixing it with other than very cheap Scotch should be criminal.

Although there is undoubtedly a considerable markup on the CO2 cylinders, I find the Sodastream cheaper than bottled soda. I see no reason to mess with big CO2 cylinders for personal use.

Now if OP really wants cola...I can't help him...I think the stuff is vile.

alex_686

Post by alex_686 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:13 pm

adamthesmythe wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:08 pm
It is not clear whether OP is after carbonated water or cola.
Maybe that want to carbonate the scotch?

On a more serious note, another vote to go to your local brewing store. My preference is for homemade ginger beer for Moscow mules, but each to their own.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:15 pm

synthfan23 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:46 am
Are there any good & less expensive alternatives to Soda Stream for making my own cola? I buy a lot tiny six-packs of Sam's Club cola at Walmart (as I am not a Sam's Club Member). Seems wasteful in more ways than one (money + packaging waste).
[I am, however, both a BJs & a Costco member--for now. Costco needs to build a store in, or very close to, Clermont. Sick of having to drive out to Millenia area of Orlando, FL for my $1.50 hot dog / soda combo + other items I want to purchase.]
Anyway... yeah. I see Cramer (who I ignore, always; unless I want to have a laugh) still promotes Soda Stream as a stock. So I presume their retail product is quite likely overpriced. Don't care about the stock. Only care about having an inexpensive source of carbonated "no name" soda at the ready to, on occasion, chase fine Scotch & Irish Whiskey (only need it for Whiskies aged 18 or or more years). I like my whiskey's neat--no ice please. OK, quitting while I'm ahead: If I rattle-on any further about either Liquor & Wine Snobbery I'll never stop.. :beer :moneybag :oops:
If Cramer is still pushing SodaStream stock, he is really off his rocker. They were bought by PepsiCo a couple years ago.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams

Picasso

Post by Picasso » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:20 pm

Honestly, I'd just go for the SodaStream. Its a great product which, based on my calculations, pays for itself in 3 CO2 canisters - for my household appx. 3 months of usage.

onourway

Post by onourway » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:26 pm

Yeah, Sodastream is expensive compared to a larger tank setup you get refilled, but like expense ratios, at some point you reach the point where you are tripping over pennies. If you have the space to put the larger canister neatly out of the way, go ahead. We have no such space in our kitchen, as such the SodaStream works fine - and is still ~3x cheaper than buying canned water.

jibantik

Post by jibantik » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:39 pm

Here's one way of looking at it.

Soda is super cheap, like a buck for 2 liters. So, either it's a marginal cost already, or you are drinking enough soda where it is not. However, in the latter case, the price will still be marginal in terms of health care costs associated with drinking that much soda.

Therefore, the cost of soda is marginal regardless of how much soda you drink. QED. :mrgreen:

atikovi

Post by atikovi » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:16 pm

Just how much are you drinking that 50 cents a liter is too expensive? You do know the health effects of drinking that much?

Topic Author
synthfan23

Post by synthfan23 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:53 am

Figaro wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:53 am
Work for a fast food restaurant that has a soda fountain. Refill your reuseable mug. Rinse repeat etc etc... :happy
As a poor teenager: been there, done that, took home the uniform & stashed it under my bed... I'm sure the Statue of Limitations has run out on that one. But they never asked for it back... presently employees of this FF chain say they are now charged for uniforms. Talk about adding Insult to Injury...

Topic Author
synthfan23

Post by synthfan23 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:54 am

new2bogle wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:53 am
Why are you chasing fine Scotch with no-name cheap cola? Seems like a waste of fine Scotch.
That was then. This is now. Will mark topic as Resolved.
But on second thought: There's no accounting for taste. To each his or her own.

I hate Scotch aged approximately 18+ years or more. So if offered I must chase it with something. Tried what's allegedly one of the finest Irish Whiskies out there: Redbreast 21. *Blech*. Had to chase with cola. A bartender at a 5 star hotel resort in Western Ireland agreed with me: he said that people with <redacted> purchase it & try Redbreast 10 to 14...

Topic Author
synthfan23

Post by synthfan23 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:00 am

atikovi wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:16 pm
Just how much are you drinking that 50 cents a liter is too expensive? You do know the health effects of drinking that much?
Excuse me. But I don't purchase by the liter. I purchase those teensy-weensy cans of cola because liter bottles by flat: quick. But then it's early & I haven't had my coffee yet. So excuse me if I appear humor impaired.