Phone tech support

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tc101

Phone tech support

Post by tc101 »

If I buy an unlocked phone on amazon, where would I go to get the sim card moved from my old phone to the new? Also for other phone support like adding memory or general help in setting up.

I don't want to do any of this stuff myself. I want to pay someone to do it. I don't know what type of store does this.
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.
bob60014

Re: Phone tech support

Post by bob60014 »

Do you have a teen relative or neighbor nearby? It's nothing for them to handle. Otherwise go to a retail outlet for your carrier. The kids in there do it every day.
earlyout

Post by earlyout »

If your carrier is Consumer Cellular just call their customer support number. They will send you a sim card for free and talk you through installation of the sim card (about a 2 minute operation). They will then assist you in moving the data from your old phone to your new phone. I recently went through this process when I moved from an older android phone to a refurbished unlocked iPhone purchased from Amazon. A very simple procerss.

If I have question about using the iphone I call Apple tech support. They have been very helpful.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

YouTube videos have almost everything you could imagine.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

tc101 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:26 pm If I buy an unlocked phone on amazon, where would I go to get the sim card moved from my old phone to the new? Also for other phone support like adding memory or general help in setting up.

I don't want to do any of this stuff myself. I want to pay someone to do it. I don't know what type of store does this.
It sounds like you should just buy a carrier phone. As far as I know, most carriers will do this for you in their stores.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

iamlucky13 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:32 pm
tc101 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:26 pm If I buy an unlocked phone on amazon, where would I go to get the sim card moved from my old phone to the new? Also for other phone support like adding memory or general help in setting up.

It sounds like you should just buy a carrier phone. As far as I know, most carriers will do this for you in their stores.
Agree that you should just buy the phone locally.

I assume you could pay someone at a cell phone repair store to set up your phone but I don’t see how this route would be worth it.

If you want it unlocked, some Android models can be purchased unlocked at Best Buy and they can help with the tasks you describe.

An unlocked new iPhone would probably need to come from an Apple store as far as I know.
fru-gal

Post by fru-gal »

earlyout wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:49 pm If your carrier is Consumer Cellular just call their customer support number. They will send you a sim card for free and talk you through installation of the sim card (about a 2 minute operation). They will then assist you in moving the data from your old phone to your new phone. I recently went through this process when I moved from an older android phone to a refurbished unlocked iPhone purchased from Amazon. A very simple procerss.

If I have question about using the iphone I call Apple tech support. They have been very helpful.
The consumer cellular phone support people are really excellent and know their stuff.