Do Semi-Dry, Delicious, Complex But < $15 Wines Exist?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
GiannaLuna

Do Semi-Dry, Delicious, Complex But < $15 Wines Exist?

Post by GiannaLuna » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:22 am

If so, please suggest some? I really enjoy semi-dry, deliciously complex wines, finding one that sell less than $15/bottle is the challenge.

A glass of such wines seems to be had not expensively in many parts of Europe. Here? no or maybe I have been looking for love in all the wrong places.

Thanks!

jebmke

Re: Do Semi-Dry, Delicious, Complex But < $15 Wines Exist?

Post by jebmke » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:29 am

Part of the issue is that the USD is strong.

For semi-dry I normally look to Germany, Austria and Alsace. You should be able to find something under $20. A $15 cut-off is more challenging unless a store is running a special.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:02 am

Riesling, Pinot Blanc, and other wines from the Alsace and Germany. You can also find a few decent Rieslings from Washington State.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:18 am

GiannaLuna wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:22 am
If so, please suggest some? I really enjoy semi-dry, deliciously complex wines, finding one that sell less than $15/bottle is the challenge.

A glass of such wines seems to be had not expensively in many parts of Europe. Here? no or maybe I have been looking for love in all the wrong places.
Certainly they exist. See: https://www.google.com/search?q=best+wine+under+15 and https://www.google.com/search?q=semi-dr ... s+under+15

Everyone's tastes are different. What might be "deliciously complex" for you might be not at all delicious for others. Best is to sample lots of different wines in your price category, and buy whatever appeals to you.

Find a nice wine shop nearby that samples wines. Or go to a vineyard and sample theirs.

I strongly prefer red to white wines. But when my wife and I spent a few days in Newport RI, we visited a local vineyard and tried a bunch of their wines. Surprisingly to me, I found a white wine they offered that is now my preferred white. https://www.newportvineyards.com/shop/p ... eat-white/ It's not something I would ever have just purchased off the shelf.
Don't be a lemming.

Cosmic Pony

Post by Cosmic Pony » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:45 am

Not sure as you didn't specify red or white. We are both enjoy good wine but are now on a self imposed budget. We have been very surprised with the quality of the wine at Aldi if you have one in your market. There are now featuring an Italian wine called "Grande Alberlone" that is rated 94 points on Wine Spectator and tastes like a bottle that should be over $20. The price... $8.99. Granted, some of their stuff is pretty pedestrian (truck aged) but the William Wright chardonnay is a good buy a $6.99.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:48 am

Look for white wines from the Western Cape region in South Africa. They are very affordable and not hard to find in the US and I like supporting their wine industry. I really like Mbali Chenin Blanc for under $10 at Trader Joes. Riebeek Cellars is pretty easy to find around $12. I have been to Solms Delta, a place with an amazing story. Their wines are harder to find in the U.S. but a big distributor will have them.

I've also gotten great compliments serving Charles Shaw (Two Buck Chuck) Pinot Grigio!
Last edited by aristotelian on Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:51 am

Bogle wines are quite good, and for less than $15, actually for about half that at my grocery.
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. — J. Paul Getty

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:54 am

Dr Loosen Riesling “L” fits your criteria and is typically around $12, widely available at supermarkets and wine stores. The same winery also makes a “Blue Slate” Riesling with a similar profile, I think the difference is the latter is made from their own grapes while L is from purchased grapes. Blue Slate is around $16 at Costco, if memory serves. Loosen is one of Germany’s top wineries.
Last edited by 02nz on Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:54 am

Nicolas wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:51 am
Bogle wines are quite good, and for less than $15, actually for about half that at my grocery.
Any relation?

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:57 am

jebmke wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:29 am
Part of the issue is that the USD is strong.

For semi-dry I normally look to Germany, Austria and Alsace. You should be able to find something under $20. A $15 cut-off is more challenging unless a store is running a special.
The strong US dollar should make imported wines less expensive, no?

Germany makes many semi-dry or sweeter wines. But off-dry wines aren’t really a thing in Alsace and even less in Austria, where the wines (whether Riesling or other varietals) tend to be either bone-dry or nobly sweet (dessert wine), with virtually nothing in between.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:08 am

aristotelian wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:54 am
Nicolas wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:51 am
Any relation?
No, I don’t think so. A determined genealogist might find a connection.
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. — J. Paul Getty

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:01 pm

02nz wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:57 am

The strong US dollar should make imported wines less expensive, no?
yes; too early in the morning. I have been focusing a lot on the tariff battles with US-EU. My old company (NL-based) is looking for help transitioning from US suppliers to other countries to get ahead of the curve and my mind was inverted from a currency standpoint.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

musselpoint

Post by musselpoint » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:37 pm

Revealing my home country bias here, but I would think Marborough sauvignon blancs fit that description. Brancott (Montana to we Kiwis) seems to be the most widely available locally (Western NC), frequently at a sale price of under $10. Fruit forward and acidic. The classic Marborough Sav blanc style has been described as 'cat's pee on a gooseberry bush,' delicious! The complexity differs but there are a several very respectable Marlborough winemakers represented in your price range: Oyster Bay, Giesen, Villa Maria come to mind. Kim Crawford holds a premium position ($16-$18) but I personally don't feel it's worth the extra $. And of course there's the famed Cloudy Bay, but that's $30.

With colder weather I'm tending toward reds and am currently on a petit syrah quest - there are some nice ones out of Paso Robles. Also, you might enjoy some blended reds, eg Aussie GSMs (or French Cotes du Rhone wines).

shunkman

Post by shunkman » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:59 am

I like the Almaden Chardonnay box wine. Don't knock it until you have tried it. Equates to about $3 per bottle.

Taz

Post by Taz » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:01 am

musselpoint wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:37 pm
snip -- With colder weather I'm tending toward reds and am currently on a petit syrah quest - there are some nice ones out of Paso Robles. Also, you might enjoy some blended reds, eg Aussie GSMs (or French Cotes du Rhone wines).
In response to musselpoint - Petite Petit (Petit Sirah) by Micheal David (elephant circus label) is a good house red for $13-15.

For OP - Alsatian Gewurztraminer might be interesting to try for a medium, spicy white. They are dryer than US ones. Hard to find under $18.
The destination matters.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:10 am

OP, check to see if Total Wine is in your area. By far the best selection/price of any chain liquor retailer I've seen.

El Greco

Post by El Greco » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:47 am

02nz wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:10 am
OP, check to see if Total Wine is in your area. By far the best selection/price of any chain liquor retailer I've seen.
+1 on Total Wine.

I presume you are talking about white wines? Give some Washington State Rieslings a whirl– Chateau Ste. Michelle, Hogue, and Kung Fu Girl Reisling by Charles Smith wines (Charles Smith is making some amazing wines in Washington State at various price points). If you are looking for an interesting, complex, off dry white, try an Argentinian Torrontes such as Crios de Susana Balbo Torrontes. Like no white you've ever tasted--in a good way! All under $15.

Chateau Ste. Michelle also makes a $20 Riesling bottling in conjunction with Dr. Ernest Loosen called "Eroica" if you want to spend a tad more. Quite yummy and worth it at twice the price!

Topic Author
GiannaLuna

Post by GiannaLuna » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:04 am

For Whites, I prefer Rieslings, sometimes Pinot Grigios

For Reds, I reach for Pinot Noir

Sometimes various Rose wines as well.

Thank you

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:01 pm

02nz wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:10 am
Yep, absolutely the case in our area. ABC Liquors has some good stuff, but limited selection.

Total Wine also distributes a free, printed wine guide that is pretty thick. Reams of good information for winos of any knowledge level.

Total Wine has beer, and liquor as well. And, they sell cigars, though, I wouldn't buy any there, again. I'm not sure they have set up the humidor correctly at the TW we frequent. Some sticks were too dry. Fortunately I only bought a few, but not impressed.

They need to stick to their strengths, delivering alcohol.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Reamus294

Post by Reamus294 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:06 pm

Husch winery in california is a great value. We haven't tried one we didn't like. Member pricing and specials with shipping bring the prices down to close to your price point. Not sure if you can find them where you are but you may be able to order straight through the winery depending on your state. They also have shipping deals throughout the year.

We haven't received good recommendations from staff at big box stores, but after a few bad ones, we gave up.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:24 pm

There are some good Rieslings from the Finger Lakes region in NY.

Dr. Frank's is a favorite of mine.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams

Reamus294

Post by Reamus294 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:32 pm

bhsince87 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:24 pm

I have some relatives in that region looking for some dry wines, but they say that most of them are on the sweeter side. Is this one on the dry side?

4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:22 pm

Mix varieties of two buck chuck inyour glass for complexity and cheapness
4nursebee

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:58 pm

Reamus294 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:32 pm
bhsince87 wrote:

I have some relatives in that region looking for some dry wines, but they say that most of them are on the sweeter side. Is this one on the dry side?
Yep, generally. It varies a bit from year to year though.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams

FactualFran

Post by FactualFran » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:38 pm

Reamus294 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:32 pm
bhsince87 wrote:

Dr. Frank, like many other Finger Lakes wineries, makes dry, semi-dry, and possibly even sweeter Rieslings. The web sites of some of the wineries have technical data about the wines, including the residual sugar level. The dry Rieslings tend to have about 0.7% residual sugar, which some would call off-dry rather than dry. The semi-dry Rieslings tend to have about 2.0% residual sugar.

Tdubs

Post by Tdubs » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:50 pm

Enjoy what is cheap. Remember, most experts can't pick a good $50 wine out of a lineup.

InducedTraffic

Post by InducedTraffic » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:50 pm

McManus - Petit Sirah is fantastic.

Most, if not all, Pinot Noirs from Willamette Valley are can’t misses.

Second the recommendation for the Bogle family of wines.

Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:01 pm

Most Willamette Valley Pinot Noirs are over $15. Here are some enjoyable wines that are under $15:

Reds:
—Duck Pond Cellars Pinot Noir Willamette Valley
—Columbia Crest H3 Cabernet Sauvignon

Whites:
—Duck Pond Cellars Pinot Gris
—Chateau St. Michelle Horseheaven Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc
—Chateau Pavillon de Boyrein Graves
Index fund investor since 1987.

smectym

Post by smectym » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:57 pm

OP probably isn’t asking about domestic sparkling, but it can’t hurt to point out Piper Sonoma Brut is shockingly good (and very dry) at well under $20. I’ve seen it at $16 but never under $15, though.

InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:11 am

smectym wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:57 pm
OP probably isn’t asking about domestic sparkling, but it can’t hurt to point out Piper Sonoma Brut is shockingly good (and very dry) at well under $20. I’ve seen it at $16 but never under $15, though.
Gruet sparkling wine, often under $16
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gruet_Winery