I want a pre-made, wholesome lunch delivered to me daily for under $15. Options?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
jastevenson

I want a pre-made, wholesome lunch delivered to me daily for under $15. Options?

Post by jastevenson » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:12 pm

I hate cooking, prefer to eat healthy, and work at a place with a truly awful cafeteria.

I am willing to pay $15/day to get a good lunch. I know some people buy from Uber Eats, but I life in a fairly small city and the local dining options are not very appealing.

Any other options? How about mail order meal delivery services? The requirements are:

-$15/meal budget (a touch over may be ok)
-Must either arrive at my house so that I can bring it to work and put in fridge, or be delivered to my office.
-I will mix prepackaged ingredients together in a bowl or plate, and will microwave things, but no actual cooking, please.
-Should have at least some semi-healthy options.

I know that it is cheaper to throw a PB&J sandwich in a bag, but I consider this to be a luxury I am willing to pay for.

Thanks in advance!

runner540

Re: I want a pre-made, wholesome lunch delivered to me daily for under $15. Options?

Post by runner540 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:22 pm

Check with any small catering companies or culinary schools in the area. Salads come to mind as something you could do yourself. Snap Kitchen is a chain that offers these meals.

CascadiaSoonish

Re: I want a pre-made, wholesome lunch delivered to me daily for under $15. Options?

Post by CascadiaSoonish » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:22 pm

You're definitely not alone in not liking to cook. Requires equipment, time, skill, interest, access to decent ingredients, and a workable kitchen. With that said, for well under $75/week a moderately skilled cook could put together a fantastic set of lunches doing something like Meal Prep Sunday (Google it) so I'd suggest at least trying it.

Barring that, my go-to for inexpensive lunches would be the deli counter at nearby fancy grocery stores. And nowadays they're almost always affiliated with delivery services. The store about 5 blocks from my office sells a quinoa salmon salad bowl for under $10. Get that and an apple delivered and you're in business. Pick things that can keep, too -- two or three lunches per delivery might save you some fees and will keep perfectly fine in the office fridge.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:33 pm

OP,

Find a Chinese restaurant that would deliver and make the food up to your specifications.

KlangFool

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:33 pm

I can think of a couple of possibilities to check out.

1) a personal chef - where I live there are a few people who will cook for you in their homes. You give them containers and they return the containers with food. How and where and when you eat it is entirely up to you.

2). Something like Sun Basket - several meals are delivered on ice in a box once a week. They started as "we prepare it you cook it" service but they now have some lunch options that are somewhat ready to eat.

delamer

Post by delamer » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:41 pm

Since you have access to a microwave, you could buy a good quality, frozen meal from a company like Amy’s for a lot less than $15.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:42 pm

There’s a restaurant/pizza place near me that does this. You can specify number of meals, likes/dislikes, or just build the meals directly. They cook them with limited seasonings, package them up, and you can either pick them up or they’ll deliver. Your responsibility is to season to taste and reheat. This place hires culinary school students exclusively, so this is a program that exists as much for them as it does for you. Cost is $7 per meal, or $10 for double meat.

Now this specific link won’t help you unless you happen to be in the NW suburbs of Chicago, but it should give you an idea of what’s possible:

https://fratospizza.com/healthymeal/

ram

Post by ram » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:55 pm

My best guess is that your budget is not adequate for what you wish. You may succeed if you can find 4 colleagues who think like you.
You may find somebody willing to deliver 5 lunches for $75.

Like you I live in a small town and I have the same problem. My wife does the actual cooking. A maid however chops all vegetables, cuts it, washes it and cleans the pots and pans etc. This itself costs about $10 per meal when it is for only 2 people and done 2 or 3 times a week. No delivery involved and we shop for the ingredients.

A non healthy meal can be bought in my cafeteria for about $6.
Ram

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:04 pm

jastevenson wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:12 pm
Any other options?
Find a coworker who likes to cook and you pay for the ingredients.
Don't be a lemming.

alec

Post by alec » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:11 pm

I guess it depends on what you mean by wholesome lunch. One coworker just goes to Safeway once a week and buys the pre made salads, soups, or sandwiches. I think it’s like $5-6 per.

Personally, I do either:

1. Leftovers from dinner night before, or
2. Ham/Turkey sandwich and fruit that I spend all of 5 mins that morning packing.

Our local Wegmans has sandwich shop quality bread, cold cuts, lettuce, etc.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" - Upton Sinclair

CAsage

Post by CAsage » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:17 pm

If you have a Trader Joe's near you, they have a ton of lunch-able items (salads, wraps, burritos) in the fresh section, and the ones near me are swamped at lunch with people picking up. You could easily pick up a few items with 2 runs a week. There are more markets catering to the working world, you might find a lot of "to go" items at other markets.
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:23 pm

I think Freshly would be pretty close.

Another option would be looking at something like Healthy Choice Power Bowls. There are a lot of more interesting frozen items these days. If you like salads Ready Pac Bistro may be a reasonable option to alternate with.

I don't know what "wholesome" or even "healthy" means to you so those are just some choices you might consider.

gator15

Post by gator15 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:27 pm

I order from Freshly. I get 6 meals for $60. I’ve used them for a couple of years. The food is pretty good.

billydelp4

Post by billydelp4 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:58 pm

There are more companies who do this type of service than you can shake a stick at. One that comes to mind is Ice Age Meals. Their schtick is paleo, which will certainly check your healthy box. Looks like meals can be had at $11.99 and with a discount if you buy in bulk.

fposte

Post by fposte » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:19 pm

stan1 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:23 pm
Not the OP, but I like the look of Freshly myself; however, I don't want to give them my email address just to find out if they service my area (and I suspect they might not). Is there a workaround for getting that info?

chrisdds98

Post by chrisdds98 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:24 pm

I use factor 75 for their keto meals. Its pretty solid and I pay $77/6 meals ($12.83/meal)

travelnut11

Post by travelnut11 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:03 pm

Where do you live? If in the midwest try Origin. I do their lunch/dinner plan and depending on the size you do it starts at about $10 per meal. The food is good.

https://www.originmeals.com/
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrowmindedness ...and many of our people need it solely on these accounts. - Mark Twain | | Life is either a daring adventure or it is nothing. - Helen Keller

22twain

Post by 22twain » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:36 pm

alec wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:11 pm
2. Ham/Turkey sandwich and fruit that I spend all of 5 mins that morning packing.
That’s what I did for more than thirty years. I always had a refrigerator available near my office so I didn’t have to worry about stuff spoiling during the morning.
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:01 pm

have chipotle deliver a bowl with brown rice, beans, chicken, no cheese, no sour cream, no guac, just brown rice, beans and chicken. It costs like $7.50 in person, so then just have to have uber eats or another delivery service get it to you.

ras4250

Post by ras4250 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:04 pm

Use Freshley and they are pretty good. The serving size isn’t huge but probably what it should be to eat healthy (just wish it was bigger).

Cubicle

Post by Cubicle » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:28 pm

The Aldi near me has lots of easy prep meal options. Salad bowls, refrigerate then microwave calzones (can't be healthy all the time), some kinds of noodle bowls, cheese/meat/cracker trays, fruit bowls, veggie bowls, etc...

I'd stock up on the weekend & take them to work. The salad bowls are ~$2.89 each. They're my favorite. Good quality, "decent" size, not very carb heavy (I get sleepy...), mix yourself so it doesn't get soggy, but in a sealed compartmentalized bowl & even includes a tiny fork!

Aldi may not be near you, but any typical grocery store should have similar options. And I know OP mentioned delivered, but the time spent daily ordering & receiving vs once a week purchasing... I rather pack my own. Plus money savings.

I knew someone who did the nutrisystem thing as their work lunch. Not aware of the specifics & prep work needed.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:57 pm

"Wholesome" isn't entirely clear and somewhat subjective.
Wanting delivery is going to make it harder, can you just go through a drive-through on the way to work and get a salad?

https://www.chick-fil-a.com/Catering-Me ... Cobb-Salad
https://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en-us/prod ... icken.html
https://menu.wendys.com/en_US/product/c ... ed-potato/
https://www.elpolloloco.com/our-food/bowls
https://www.jackinthebox.com/food/chick ... wl-chicken
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

psteinx

Post by psteinx » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:56 am

The basic problem with takeout/delivery type food, especially if one is in a small town like OP, is variety.

There are a lot of things that are tasty/appealing the first time, the second time, maybe the third.

But 4th or 5th time, or trying to eat them weekly, gets old. And even though a given quick-service restaurant may offer a wide menu, many options are prepared in similar ways, with similar ingredients, and so the variety is not as great as it seems.

In general, I would say if OP can get FRESH food of some sort, that's big. Fresh salads are good. Salads that have been sitting in a fridge for a week - not so much. Fresh bread, and sandwiches made with it, are good. Stale bread obviously not good, but also loafs of bread made to go stale slowly (i.e. Wonder Bread and the like) are not as good.

The problem with FRESH food, of wide variety, is that it takes time to procure. Contacting/coordinating delivery. Stopping by a place, parking, etc. for takeout. Going through a drive-through. Etc.

Perhaps OP has a good grocery store close by with a varied fresh prepared section, and the ability to grab other ingredients off the shelf to OP's taste/interest. We have a great grocery store with that stuff, but unfortunately it's just a little too far/out of the way for maximum convenience for me.

myfrogger

Post by myfrogger » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:04 am

I ordered from Freshly.com for a couple years. I primarily chose Freshly because I could purchase for one person. It led to me losing 40lbs very slowly. I simply replaced one meal per day with a healthier option saving about 500 calories per meal. That led to losing about 1 pound per week, less over time. I feel amazing now. I actually had set out to lose about 15lbs but I had no idea great it feels and how great I look getting to this weight. I kept going. The small daily decision will certainly compound into something great over time. The meals were closer to $10 each so easily within your price range. For the benefit of the other readers that thought this was expensive (like I thought), consider only the net of how much 'more' you are spending with these prepared meals.

mrmass

Post by mrmass » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:55 am

I assemble 5 sandwiches on Sunday.

Each morning I also boil 2 hard boiled eggs and toss a banana and maybe an apple in my lunch bag. One could also boil the eggs for the week on Sunday I just like them warm.

Its very eady.

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:40 am

mrmass wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:55 am

Each morning I also boil 2 hard boiled eggs and toss a banana and maybe an apple in my lunch bag. One could also boil the eggs for the week on Sunday I just like them warm.

Its very eady.
I agree - one is better off making it at home and for way under $15/day. More like $5/day.

mrmass

Post by mrmass » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:21 am

snackdog wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:40 am
mrmass wrote:

Its very eady.
I agree - one is better off making it at home and for way under $15/day. More like $5/day.
Since my DW prefers me not to eat too much "cold cuts" (additives etc) This past Sunday I cooked 4 pork loins with roasted carrots and potatoes. This gave us dinner for Sunday plus 4 lunches.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:34 am

fposte wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:19 pm
stan1 wrote:
Not the OP, but I like the look of Freshly myself; however, I don't want to give them my email address just to find out if they service my area (and I suspect they might not). Is there a workaround for getting that info?
Their website says they deliver to at least part of every state so there's a chance unless you are in a rural area. Maybe you have a burner email address that you don't routinely monitor and can use for situations like this?

henry

Post by henry » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:36 am

I like the salads and grain bowls from Panera. You can order online and customize your meals to a significant degree. Some of the locations deliver.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:37 am

myfrogger wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:04 am
I ordered from Freshly.com for a couple years. I primarily chose Freshly because I could purchase for one person. It led to me losing 40lbs very slowly. I simply replaced one meal per day with a healthier option saving about 500 calories per meal. That led to losing about 1 pound per week, less over time. I feel amazing now. I actually had set out to lose about 15lbs but I had no idea great it feels and how great I look getting to this weight. I kept going. The small daily decision will certainly compound into something great over time. The meals were closer to $10 each so easily within your price range. For the benefit of the other readers that thought this was expensive (like I thought), consider only the net of how much 'more' you are spending with these prepared meals.
Wow, congratulations!

simplesimon

Post by simplesimon » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:46 am

$15/meal is a very good budget. Every meal delivery service is available to you. Just find something you like to eat.

If you want healthier options look at something like Vertical Diet or Trifecta (which I follow because they're more athlete focused, but I'm sure there are others). They spell out all your macros and you can choose to go dairy/soy/gluten free. You can go Paleo, Keto, whatever.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:00 am

mrmass wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:21 am
snackdog wrote:
mrmass wrote:

Its very eady.
Since my DW prefers me not to eat too much "cold cuts" (additives etc) This past Sunday I cooked 4 pork loins with roasted carrots and potatoes. This gave us dinner for Sunday plus 4 lunches.
I make 95% of our entire family's (4 of us) meals each Sunday and it takes me a grand total of maybe 2hrs (not counting meat that has cooked in crockpot overnight), and it is <$15/day for all of us. I'm not a cook and I don't enjoy cooking nor am I particularly skilled. I doubt there are many people on this board who are more concerned about "healthy" nutrition than I am, so that box is checked.

I am always wondering who keeps these services (offering ~$15/person prepared meals) in business, but I guess some people really do just hate cooking that much.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:04 am

Can also search for "meal prep your city" and you may find multiple local options.

simplesimon

Post by simplesimon » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:06 am

stoptothink wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:00 am
I make 95% of our entire family's (4 of us) meals each Sunday and it takes me a grand total of maybe 2hrs (not counting meat that has cooked in crockpot overnight), and it is <$15/day for all of us. I'm not a cook and I don't enjoy cooking nor am I particularly skilled. I doubt there are many people on this board who are more concerned about "healthy" nutrition than I am, so that box is checked.

I am always wondering who keeps these services (offering ~$15/person prepared meals) in business, but I guess some people really do just hate cooking that much.
I batch cook on Sundays as well, but we end up eating the same thing everyday. A lot of people don't like that. Do you make different foods?

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:14 am

snackdog wrote:
I pack my lunch for about 52 cents to $1 per day and stuff the annual lunch savings of around $3K into investments instead. :beer
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:50 am

stan1 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:04 am
Can also search for "meal prep your city" and you may find multiple local options.
Seconded. The fully prepared services (as opposed to kits that you still need to cook) tend to be much more local. You could also try searching for "personal chef" but I suspect your budget is low for that.

Sometimes restaurants will also do meal services. The more cost-effective options usually will require you to pick up several days of food on the weekend, rather than delivering daily.

A few of my co-workers have enjoyed weekly deliveries of pre-made meals that just required heating. Seems like a reasonable solution for someone who hates cooking enough to spend money to outsource.

SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:41 am

I recently started using Freshly (as in my first order came last week). So far it seems to be a nice variety of meals and decent tasting (some have been better than others). While I don't think the food is blatantly unhealthy, I'm a little dismayed at the amount of cholesterol and sodium in most of the meals so far. I'm debating whether or not to continue with them due to that but I haven't identified another reasonable option yet.

niceguy7376

Post by niceguy7376 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:45 am

I once ate "Healthy Choice" frozen bowls for lunch Mon-Thu for 6 months while I was traveling. I used to go to Costco one evening and stack the fridge in office with 4 bowls (they come in 4 pack ) and eat them till next week. I lost some decent weight too. They were $2.50 per bowl and had 4 different flavors in 4 pack.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:59 am

You don't need to really cook to prep healthy meals. Maybe some rice, quinoa.

Get 12 plastic microwavable containers.

Cook up some brown rice
Cook up some quinoa
Cook up some lentils
Buy, open and rinse cans of black beans, chickpeas, cannelli beans, pinto beans
Buy, open and rinse a can of pineapple
Buy, open and rinse a can of black olives
Buy, open and rinse a can of your favorite vegetables (I like peas, lima beans, corn)
Buy a container of raisins
Buy a container of baby spinach and arugula.
<insert your favorite items>
Store each in containers in the fridge. Easy to store and ready to mix.

The night before, mix up a container of the items.

In the morning I add my favorite sauce (thai peanut, sweet N sour, Gojuchang, Kung Pao, Cholula, etc). With different sauces, you can have a bunch of variety of flavor.

Microwave for 2 minutes at work. I also bring 2 slices of thick, whole wheat bread and an apple or banana each day.

Cost is minimal. When a container is empty, refill. I also use a baked potato or baked sweet potato as a base. Switch up the veggies. Add broccoli and cauliflower as substitutes. Many options. We prep one day on a weekend and it lasts all week.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words. Whole food, plant based. Bing it.

JBeck

Post by JBeck » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:04 am

Freshly is strictly heat up in microwave, i.e., no other prep?

SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:09 am

JBeck wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:04 am
Yes. It comes in a plastic bowl/tray that has plastic wrap on top just like a supermarket frozen dinner. I will note that because the meals are 'fresh', the instructions say not to freeze and they have a relatively quick (5 days IIRC) use by date.

JBeck

Post by JBeck » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:12 am

SRenaeP wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:09 am
JBeck wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:04 am
Yes. It comes in a plastic bowl/tray that has plastic wrap on top just like a supermarket frozen dinner. I will note that because the meals are 'fresh', the instructions say not to freeze and they have a relatively quick (5 days IIRC) use by date.
Thanks, sounds like its worth a try

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:14 am

I'm seeing a business opportunity! But I don't want to work for money any more ;)
For many years I brought my own lunch to work. But then I got lazy.
My cafeteria had an unlimited soup and salad option for about $8. I started making lunch the main meal of the day ;)
Some times I'd walk someplace reasonably close, and buy something else.
You have to look at options in your area. Folks on the internet can't help you find options that are available in your area.
And we all have a different definition of wholesome ;)

mountainsoft

Post by mountainsoft » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:15 am

Grocery stores are filled with ready-to-eat food options. Frozen dinners, burritos, canned soups, canned chili, etc. Most stores also have deli's with prepackaged food items (sandwiches, soups, salads, sushi, etc.), or have buffet choices. We often grab a sandwich or wrap from the grocery store deli to take when we go hiking.

Sandwiches are always a ready to go item and there's a wide variety of sandwiches you can make other than PB&J. Serve with chips, an apple or grapes, or a salad from the deli. You can add a little variety by using bagels or croissants instead of bread. You could easily throw together something like a chicken salad that would last for days.

There are also many "no cook" recipes (search Google) that you can just throw together and maybe microwave. We have a few recipes we make for dinner that are made with tortillas, precooked chicken, and canned vegetable or two. Dump everything in a bowl, mix, place on a wrap and nuke.

Bake a potato in the micro and top it with canned chili.

I often make a taco salad (refried beans, olives, tomato, green onion, cheese, salsa, sour cream, tortilla chips) that can last me four days.

I also buy precooked turkey breast (not lunch meat), make a box of stove top stuffing, and a can of yams. Divide those into four containers and it lasts me most of the week.

You could also try some of the hiking/emergency foods from mountainhouse.com

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:21 am

simplesimon wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:06 am
stoptothink wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:00 am

I batch cook on Sundays as well, but we end up eating the same thing everyday. A lot of people don't like that. Do you make different foods?
I eat the same things for virtually every meal and every day, just with variation depending on what meat/veggie is on sale. Every meal for me consists of a protein (whatever was cooked in the crockpot or eggs), veggies (batches of frozen broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, green beans), and leafy greens. It's not like we are making spaghetti or casseroles; no "meals" are prepared in our home. Kids eat same thing for dinners, but a lot of oat groat-based overnight oats (takes all of 30sec to prep the night before) for breakfast, PB & J sandwiches for lunch, and fruit and raw nuts for snacks.

That is the kicker, people want variety and they want to have an "experience" when they eat. Doesn't make sense to me, but I'm wired differently; I thrive off routine and order. If you are fine eating the same few things, it is easy to eat healthy for really cheap and with little prep.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:56 am

stoptothink wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:21 am
That is the kicker, people want variety and they want to have an "experience" when they eat. Doesn't make sense to me, but I'm wired differently; I thrive off routine and order.
My father's observation many decades ago...some people eat to live and some people live to eat. :happy

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:03 am

fposte wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:19 pm
stan1 wrote:
2nd email account? I set up a Gmail account that I use for things like this and online shopping. Keeps my main email account uncluttered with the marketing emails that follow.

straws46

Post by straws46 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:32 am

We used to get Metabolic Meals. Excellent quality and extremely healthy. Delivered to your door. Keep frozen until microwaved. Only negative was the amount of packaging material. Check out their web site. It may be what you're looking for.

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:38 am

nonfacebookuser365 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:25 am
Jimmy Johns
+1, but I like the "Unwich" option (lettuce wrap instead of bread.)
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"