CCRC Tippng?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mickeyd

CCRC Tippng?

Post by mickeyd » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:07 pm

If you live in a CCRC, do you individually tip the staff that assists you daily, or is there an established process for the residents to collectively tip the workers at your facility? If so, how does it work?
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

RickBoglehead

Re: CCRC Tippng?

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:09 pm

A good CCRC should have a No Tipping policy.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

delamer

Post by delamer » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:21 pm

At my mother’s place, there was a resident’s committee that recommended a specific dollar contribution from each resident to a fund that was used to distribute tips to the employees at the end of each year (on behalf of all residents).

But the tip amount (or whether to contribute at all) was ultimately up to each resident.

Tips during the year to individual staff from individual residents were highly discouraged.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:30 pm

mickeyd wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:07 pm
If you live in a CCRC, do you individually tip the staff that assists you daily, or is there an established process for the residents to collectively tip the workers at your facility? If so, how does it work?
In MIL's facility, there is a strict "no tipping policy".

However, residents are "encouraged" to contribute to a holiday fund that is shared by the staff.

I don't know if it is forbidden or overlooked if someone wants to give a favored assistant something like a box of chocolates or a book, or some such "thing".

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:36 pm

delamer wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:21 pm
At my mother’s place, there was a resident’s committee that recommended a specific dollar contribution from each resident to a fund that was used to distribute tips to the employees at the end of each year (on behalf of all residents).

But the tip amount (or whether to contribute at all) was ultimately up to each resident.

Tips during the year to individual staff from individual residents were highly discouraged.
Same

plannerman

Post by plannerman » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:04 pm

At our CCRC, the staff can be fired if they accept tips. There is, however, an end of year holiday employee appreciation fund raiser that most residents generously give to.

plannerman

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:03 pm

My recently-deceased Dad lived in a very upscale CCRC, and tipping was absolutely prohibited. No exceptions.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:00 pm

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:03 pm
My recently-deceased Dad lived in a very upscale CCRC, and tipping was absolutely prohibited. No exceptions.
Same here, parents in upscale CCRC, but women tipped in the beauty salon. Of course, the beauty salon was a concession run by third party vendor (like the bank branch) so the CCRC really didn't have any say in the matter. Tipping was outlawed in the dining rooms, cafe, bar, deli, etc.

(The joint didn't have a barber shop, though. The men had to go into town if they wanted a haircut :shock: :shock: )