Women wearing black to a wedding?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
MaryO

Re: Women wearing black to a wedding?

Post by MaryO » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:41 pm

SrGrumpy wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:26 pm
Flobes wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:05 pm
Turned out, bridesmaids and groomsmen were in chocolate brown.
I guess the couple held long-standing grudges against these poor folk.
I look best in fall colors, like chocolate brown. Reds. Oranges. Greens. Golds. Black isn't suited to my skin tones. Neither are cool colors. I'd like wearing a chocolate brown dress.
Even so, a group of men in chocolate brown tuxedoes isn't really appealing :-( Didn't know they even existed.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:20 pm

runner540 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:44 pm
Don't wear black to a wedding. It is very uncommon for women to wear to a wedding unless it's the bridesmaid color. In the US, black is worn for funerals. That's why it's poor taste to wear to a joyful occasion like a wedding.
+1

Violinist

Post by Violinist » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:12 pm

It would be best not to wear black (the color of mourning) or white (traditional bride color) or whatever color the wedding party is wearing (so as not to look like you thought you should have been asked to be part of the wedding party).

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:38 pm

fru-gal wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:20 pm
runner540 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:44 pm
Don't wear black to a wedding. It is very uncommon for women to wear to a wedding unless it's the bridesmaid color. In the US, black is worn for funerals. That's why it's poor taste to wear to a joyful occasion like a wedding.
+1
I just attended a wedding (fancy place), no fewer than 25% of the females (various ages) in attendance were wearing black. Tasteful dresses and not one person said it was poor fashion. The other popular colors were blue, green, magenta and a few floral pattern types. The bride wore white.

OP, you'll be fine in your black dress. Enjoy the event!
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Pom79

Post by Pom79 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:15 am

Just like when a portfolio review is requested, the details matter. If you were a regular guest at a wedding black would be perfectly appropriate. From your other posts it sounds like you are the mother of the groom. In that case you will be walking down the aisle and in many of the wedding photos. Depending on what the other colors are, bridesmaids, mother of the bride, etc. black may look classic or it may be too harsh. Just ask your son and future daughter in law. Their feelings hold infinitely more weight than a forum of strangers.

BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:20 am

leeks wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:18 pm
Depends very much on where you are and the culture of the bride/groom and family/friends.

An evening event in NYC area, many women will be wearing black.

A 1pm wedding in the South, less likely.
This!!! Very much a regional thing.

I live in NYC and wear black to weddings all the time. Including my son's (his mother in law chose that, so it wasn't commentary on anyone's part).
This would have been unheard of in Westchester in the 1960s.
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."

ObliviousInvestor

Post by ObliviousInvestor » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:55 am

If it's regional, it's not specific to the east coast. Here in the Midwest, for the various weddings I've attended over the last 10 years, black has undoubtedly been the most common color for women to wear.
Mike Piper, author/blogger