VPNs

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Faisal

VPNs

Post by Faisal » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:31 am

Does anybody use VPNs here? If you do, which vpn would you recommend?

typical.investor

Re: VPNs

Post by typical.investor » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:39 am

Faisal wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:31 am
I use NordVPN on both a router and phone etc. and plan to stick with it!

A bit of googling usually turns up a good deal.

Topic Author
Faisal

Post by Faisal » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:45 am

I have heard of NordVPN and Tunnel Bear so thought I would ask here first before shelling out cash.

typical.investor

Post by typical.investor » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:52 am

Faisal wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:45 am
I have heard of NordVPN and Tunnel Bear so thought I would ask here first before shelling out cash.
If you will watch US streaming media services, Nord is great.

It’s a necessity for me.

Topic Author
Faisal

Post by Faisal » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:12 am

Thanks Nord it is. Plus they got a 70% discount going on now. Will use that to my advantage!

DoTheMath

Post by DoTheMath » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:00 am

Recently NordVPN disclosed a security breach which happened last year:

https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... ow-so-far/

While the breach itself wasn't serious, the fact they didn't disclose it for 19 months is concerning.

I have used tunnelbear in the past, considered NordVPN more recently but ended up going with Mullvad.

In the end there is always going to be a trust issue with VPNs. For things like streaming, or stuff that will be encrypted anyway like banking, one is pretty much going to be as good as another. For most people NordVPN, even with its lapses, will be fine. Here's an amusing video which makes the same point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVDQEoe6ZWY
“I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains...” -- John Muir

rich126

Post by rich126 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:21 am

There are pros and cons. Personally I think VPNs are important when traveling and using public wifi to do any kind of financial/personal data exchange. The risk of that information being compromise over a public wifi is much higher than the risk of a problem with the VPN company IMO.

For home use I don't see a need for it. People do use it at home, often to change their locations in order to watch/access various web sites.

And yeah, Nord did have an issue recently.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:51 am

Here is a review from earlier this month at PC Mag
https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/296955/th ... n-services

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:15 pm

I use ProtonVPN. They had a special last fall in conjunction with their ProtonMail service, which I already used, so I purchased a two-year subscription at a sizable discount.

The service is reliable. They have friendly clients available for most mobile and desktop platforms. (There is no Linux client, but you can easily connect to their servers using the native Linux VPN functionality.) They are very privacy conscious. They have a solid free tier of service, if you want to try them out.

I use the VPN for security in the usual situations: traveling, public wifi, etc.

I also use it for accessing Amazon.fr/Audible.fr in order to buy French e-books and audiobooks that are not available in the US. (Unfortunately, that means having two separate Kindle libraries.) You can buy physical products from Amazon.fr (or Amazon.co.uk) and have them shipped to the US, but they won't let you buy Kindle or Audible books if you connect from a US IP address.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:18 pm

viewtopic.php?t=274601

We have free lifetime access to our university's VPN should we need it. I use it when traveling if accessing financial information on a WiFi network.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

Voltaire2.0

Post by Voltaire2.0 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:30 pm

I use Encrpyt.me.

Two pricing options: unlimited data and light use. The latter is $3 per month. License is for one user, unlimited number of devices.

The iOS app is very easy to use. Automatically turns on if you connect to an unknown WiFi network. Can whitelist known good networks to keep VPN turned off. You can opt to encrypt cellular wireless traffic if you're in an untrustworthy mood. Also offers the ability to enter the Internet from different locations, including choosing the most local servers.

Some public networks confuse the app and you have to turn WiFi off and on again to reset it.

Googliebear

Post by Googliebear » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:21 pm

typical.investor wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:39 am
Faisal wrote:
I use NordVPN on both a router and phone etc. and plan to stick with it!

A bit of googling usually turns up a good deal.
+1

mcraepat9

Post by mcraepat9 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:52 pm

DoTheMath wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:00 am

While the breach itself wasn't serious, the fact they didn't disclose it for 19 months is concerning.

I have used tunnelbear in the past, considered NordVPN more recently but ended up going with Mullvad.

In the end there is always going to be a trust issue with VPNs. For things like streaming, or stuff that will be encrypted anyway like banking, one is pretty much going to be as good as another. For most people NordVPN, even with its lapses, will be fine. Here's an amusing video which makes the same point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVDQEoe6ZWY
+1 for Mullvad

When I was choosing I felt like it was the best of the bunch. My biggest issue is more theoretical - I don’t think Sweden is necessarily where I want my VPN provider located. But I am a complete lunatic when it comes to this stuff.
Amateur investors are not cool-headed logicians.

typical.investor

Post by typical.investor » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:59 pm

DoTheMath wrote:

In the end there is always going to be a trust issue with VPNs. For things like streaming, or stuff that will be encrypted anyway like banking, one is pretty much going to be as good as another.
I judge by this post that you aren't streaming Hulu or Netflix. Mullvad has been reported to not work with Hulu, Netflix or BBC's iplayer.

And I conclude from that that actually NordVPN is likely to be more secure than Mullvard. At least I believe NordVPN is more advanced as Hulu, Netflix or BBC's iplayer are constantly trying to detect VPN use. At least NordVPN can keep up with the changes. Once or twice I had to contact them when something changed, and service was very quick to get on it and restore access. Of course, the VPN was always working fine, it's just that sometimes streaming media services actively try to disable access via VPNs.

So yeah no, I don't think one service is necessarily as good as another.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:05 pm

Windscribe. Free.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:53 am

jhfenton wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:15 pm
I use ProtonVPN. They had a special last fall in conjunction with their ProtonMail service, which I already used, so I purchased a two-year subscription at a sizable discount.

The service is reliable. They have friendly clients available for most mobile and desktop platforms. (There is no Linux client, but you can easily connect to their servers using the native Linux VPN functionality.) They are very privacy conscious. They have a solid free tier of service, if you want to try them out.

I use the VPN for security in the usual situations: traveling, public wifi, etc.

I also use it for accessing Amazon.fr/Audible.fr in order to buy French e-books and audiobooks that are not available in the US. (Unfortunately, that means having two separate Kindle libraries.) You can buy physical products from Amazon.fr (or Amazon.co.uk) and have them shipped to the US, but they won't let you buy Kindle or Audible books if you connect from a US IP address.
That's about copyright.

Digital copyright is still done nation by nation (I don't think the EU is one copyright bloc, but I could be wrong). Kindle books fall, I imagine, under author copyright. US author copyright has been extended by Congress by something like 70 years post the author's death, and I believe in the last trade treaty the EU had to align (I believe that Disney, which makes incredible money from Winnie-the-Poo lobbied pretty heavily for alignment to the longer, US, treatment).

So who owns George Orwell's 1984 in the UK could be different than who owns the rights to publish it in, Australia, say.

I mention that one because early in the life of Kindle, Amazon deleted 1984 from the Kindles of those who had downloaded it in Australia, due to a copyright issue (they later apologized for the preemptory action).

1984. They deleted 1984 of all possible books. You could not make it up. Crimethink.

ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:16 am

Faisal wrote:
What are you trying to accomplish by using a VPN?

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:42 am

Valuethinker wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:53 am
That's about copyright.

Digital copyright is still done nation by nation (I don't think the EU is one copyright bloc, but I could be wrong). Kindle books fall, I imagine, under author copyright. US author copyright has been extended by Congress by something like 70 years post the author's death, and I believe in the last trade treaty the EU had to align (I believe that Disney, which makes incredible money from Winnie-the-Poo lobbied pretty heavily for alignment to the longer, US, treatment).
There are definitely differences in copyright laws between countries. There are quite a few old works that are public domain in most countries outside the US, but still protected in the US. Of course, that distinction is hard to enforce with freely-available digital texts.

In my case, the issue is mostly with distribution rights agreements. For most media (books, music, movies), we still have regional deals. Netflix may have the right to a show in the US, but not in Europe. One publisher may have the rights to a book in the US. Another may have the English-language rights in Europe. Still another may have the French-language rights in Europe. And in many cases, for French-language novels, no one has the US distribution rights.
Valuethinker wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:53 am
1984. They deleted 1984 of all possible books. You could not make it up. Crimethink.
I remember that. I looked it up, and it was 2009. It's hard to believe that it's been 10 years already.

DoTheMath

Post by DoTheMath » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:36 am

typical.investor wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:59 pm
DoTheMath wrote:

In the end there is always going to be a trust issue with VPNs. For things like streaming, or stuff that will be encrypted anyway like banking, one is pretty much going to be as good as another.
I judge by this post that you aren't streaming Hulu or Netflix. Mullvad has been reported to not work with Hulu, Netflix or BBC's iplayer.

And I conclude from that that actually NordVPN is likely to be more secure than Mullvard. At least I believe NordVPN is more advanced as Hulu, Netflix or BBC's iplayer are constantly trying to detect VPN use. At least NordVPN can keep up with the changes. Once or twice I had to contact them when something changed, and service was very quick to get on it and restore access. Of course, the VPN was always working fine, it's just that sometimes streaming media services actively try to disable access via VPNs.

So yeah no, I don't think one service is necessarily as good as another.
I've used my VPN (including Mullvad) to stream US Netflix when traveling and it's worked fine. Certainly some VPNs are faster than another, some are more proactive about changing up their servers to avoid detection by Netflix, et. al. And these are valid things to consider if it is a priority. Mullvad gets high marks for speed and protecting privacy, which are the priorities for me. YMMV.

But none of that has anything to do with how secure they are. Any reputable VPN provides a secure encrypted tunnel between your computer and their servers. In that sense they are all equally good. Both Mullvad and NordVPN are fine choices and I'd be comfortable recommending either one.
“I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains...” -- John Muir

Dude2

Post by Dude2 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:42 am

I've been very impressed with TorGuard. I live in a restrictive country. Their tech support has been great.

GeMoney

Post by GeMoney » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:54 am

If your expected usage is low or just want to try one out, Windscribe is currently offering 20gb a month free (normally it is 10gb for free). The offer expires Nov 1 2019.

Instructions:

Go here https://windscribe.com/signup to sign up then fill out your username, password and email
Under "Have a Voucher?", enter code FACTORY2
Select "Create Free Account"
Separately, you will get an email immediately sent to the email provided in step 1, click the link in the email to confirm
Once you confirm email from step 4, your account dashboard should now display the 20GB limit
If needed, you may claim the voucher code by clicking "My Account" (top right side of page), "Claim Voucher" and then entering the voucher code FACTORY2

I have a free 50gb account they offered a while back and it works well for me.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:31 am

Electronic Frontier Foundation has a guide for choosing a VPN but no specific recommendations. See https://ssd.eff.org/en/module/choosing- ... -right-you .

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Back2back101

Post by Back2back101 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:08 pm

I use a free VPN Psiphon
Look it up

eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:00 am

ARoseByAnyOtherName wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:16 am
Anything I can do to thwart data collection.

ExpressVPN.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:45 am

runner3081 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:05 pm
Windscribe. Free.
Beware of "free" VPN services. They make money off of you somehow: https://restoreprivacy.com/free-vpn/
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

levelride

Post by levelride » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:33 am

I use Dashlane for secure password management. It also comes with VPN service. You get both for $60/year. A small price for solid security.

DrippingSprings

Post by DrippingSprings » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:32 pm

Opera, the web browser, has a free VPN that you can turn on or off. Occasionally it slows down the loading of pages, but usually it is just fine.

typical.investor

Post by typical.investor » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:21 am

DoTheMath wrote:

Well, in response NordVPN:

[*] enlisted the cybersecurity consulting firm VerSprite to run penetration testing, threat and vulnerability management, compliance management and assessment services on its infrastructure.

[*] plans to introduce a bug bounty program to catch potential vulnerabilities

[*] planning a full-scale independent security audit for 2020 and to move away from third party server providers

[*] planning to upgrade its more than 5,100 servers to RAM servers. The move will create a centrally controlled network where nothing is stored locally, including the operating system, and ensure that if a server is seized by an attacker, they'll find blank hardware with no data or configuration files on it

https://www.zdnet.com/article/nordvpn-i ... -overhaul/

ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:49 pm

eucalyptus wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:00 am

ExpressVPN.
I definitely recommend reading and understanding the information on this page:
https://www.privacytools.io/providers/vpn/

Quoting part of that page:
“Using a VPN will not keep your browsing habits anonymous, nor will it add additional security to non-secure (HTTP) traffic.

If you are looking for anonymity, you should use the Tor Browser instead of a VPN.

If you're looking for added security, you should always ensure you're connecting to websites using encrypted DNS and HTTPS. A VPN is not a replacement for good security practices.

If you're looking for additional privacy from your ISP, on a public Wi-Fi network, or while torrenting files, a VPN may be the solution for you as long as you understand the risks involved.”

tfb

Post by tfb » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:34 am

Many home wifi routers already have a built-in VPN server. If it's for light use on public wifi or traveling, and speed isn't that important, it's free and you don't have worry about the VPN provider.

https://www.howtogeek.com/221001/how-to ... pn-server/
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.

ariyan

Post by ariyan » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:12 am

To be honest, I started using a VPN quite recently myself. At first, I didn't know if it was worth my money, but then I looked into all the benefits that they provide, and I have to say I'm not mad about getting more content on Netflix or having my data secured, while I'm using an unsecured public WiFi. I was searching for a VPN, which had a low price, but would still be reliable, and after reading a couple of reviews, I decided to go with Surfshark. Their monthly price is a bit high, but if you get yearly plans, it costs you like 2$ per month for 2 years, which I think is a very reasonable price.

Topic Author
Faisal

Post by Faisal » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:22 am

Thanks for all the info guys. I went with Tunnel Bear as it is stable easy to use and was cheap. Got it on a discount or 60 bucks for a year. So that is like 5 dollars a month. Works for me.

eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:13 am

Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:49 pm
eucalyptus wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:00 am

ExpressVPN.
I definitely recommend reading and understanding the information on this page:
https://www.privacytools.io/providers/vpn/

Quoting part of that page:
“Using a VPN will not keep your browsing habits anonymous, nor will it add additional security to non-secure (HTTP) traffic.

If you are looking for anonymity, you should use the Tor Browser instead of a VPN.

If you're looking for added security, you should always ensure you're connecting to websites using encrypted DNS and HTTPS. A VPN is not a replacement for good security practices.

If you're looking for additional privacy from your ISP, on a public Wi-Fi network, or while torrenting files, a VPN may be the solution for you as long as you understand the risks involved.”

I am looking for privacy from my ISP as noted in the article. I also use Tor. I check my digital fingerprint info with panopticlick. I use a clean laptop for some things. I suppose I should play with virtual machines. Does any of this matter? Maybe, but I don’t have a lot of optimism about privacy on the “empowering” internet. Sometimes I’m lazy and use my phone or a browser with no safeguards at all. I donate to EFF and EPIC occasionally. The EU is trying. GAFA delenda est.