Is it OK not to wash off bleach?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
Caduceus
Posts: 2104
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:47 am

Is it OK not to wash off bleach?

Post by Caduceus » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:43 pm

I recently used one of those mold-and-mildew cleaners that I bought from Walmart on some antique lamps that had some white, fuzzy mildew growing on the rim of the lamp. They are nice and clean now after I wiped them off with cloth dipped in the cleaner, but I decided not to do a second wipe with water since it seemed like it would defeat the purpose by re-introducing moisture that might feed future cycles of mildew. It's a rubber rim that seems like it might absorb some water.

The whole thing is basically dry right now ... but is it OK/safe to leave the lamp as it is now? Or do I really need to wipe it down with water? Sorry if it's a stupid question, but to be honest, I don't use bleach much - this is the first time I've had to use it.

Katietsu
Posts: 2510
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:48 am

Re: Is it OK not to wash off bleach?

Post by Katietsu » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:50 pm

I would not have used bleach on a rubber seal of antique lamp as a first attempt to remove mildew/mold. Yes, it can cause damage. It would get as much bleach off as possible. Unless the lamp is located in a high humidity environment, I would not expect continued problems.

drawpoker
Posts: 2745
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 6:33 pm
Location: Delmarva

Re: Is it OK not to wash off bleach?

Post by drawpoker » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:08 pm

Katietsu wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:50 pm
I would not have used bleach on a rubber seal of antique lamp as a first attempt to remove mildew/mold. Yes, it can cause damage............
Agree.

Are you certain it was mildew/mold? White and fuzzy-looking sounds more like something left behind by some insect(s)

If these are lamps that are in regular use, yes, the heat from the bulb will make the bleach scent come back. Quite strongly and unwelcome. Especially noticeable to any guests you might be entertaining. :shock:

Rinse off all the surfaces that you applied the bleach, dry thoroughly. If the stuff returns, please remove a swab of it and take it to your local extension service office for analysis. (That service is free) Don't just assume it is mildew or mold.

User avatar
chickadee
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:13 pm

Re: Is it OK not to wash off bleach?

Post by chickadee » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:26 pm

It most likely was Rubber bloom (google this) not mildew in the first place. I’d probably wet cloth remove the bleach. And then get some Rubber Renew :

https://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-408 ... 9203&psc=1

Topic Author
Caduceus
Posts: 2104
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:47 am

Re: Is it OK not to wash off bleach?

Post by Caduceus » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:17 pm

Thanks guys, but I think it was really most likely mildew. The lamp was made of glass, wood, and some rubber linings, and the same white fuzzy/powdery stuff grew on both the surface of the rubber and also on some portions of the wood. It didn't leave stains on the rubber after I wiped it off, but it seemed to leave some superficial dark staining on the wood. Strangely enough, it seemed to like the rubber much more than the wood. On the parts where the "bloom" was thicker, some of the white stuff had turned grey. That seems to be what mildew does, according to the internet.

I didn't realize bleach was quite so powerful. I thought the store-bought types were basically pretty diluted. I've wiped it off twice with wet Q-tips now. I will also place the lamps in the sun for a day or two as they say sunlight helps to decompose bleach into salt and water vapor. Thanks!

It took me the better part of the day, but all my lamps are really clean now.

What is a local service extension office? I have never heard of folks that will test stuff for free. It sounds pretty cool. I should totally have done that.

drawpoker
Posts: 2745
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 6:33 pm
Location: Delmarva

Re: Is it OK not to wash off bleach?

Post by drawpoker » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:53 am

Caduceus wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:17 pm
What is a local service extension office? I have never heard of folks that will test stuff for free. It sounds pretty cool. I should totally have done that.
County extension offices are run by each state's land-grant university. For adults and youth (you have heard of 4-H, right?)

Yes, it is always cool to get something free for our taxes 8-)

https://www.domyown.com/what-is-an-exte ... a-683.html

Starfish
Posts: 1461
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:33 pm

Re: Is it OK not to wash off bleach?

Post by Starfish » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:40 pm

Sun destroys the rubber and discolors the wood.

Post Reply