Popeyes Chicken Sandwich [is it a good value]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Elysium

Popeyes Chicken Sandwich [is it a good value]

Post by Elysium » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:05 pm

I am sure most people by now have heard about the Popeyes fast food chain Chicken sandwich. They are releasing it again next week, November 3rd. Supplies are expected to last longer than last time when they sold out in 2 weeks and there were large lines with delays at most locations.

I didn't get to try one last time, even though we have a Popeyes shop near by, as I barely eat fast food unless I'm on the road and no other option. But I have tried the Chick Fil-A sandwich, it is pretty fine, nothing spectacular. I don't normally price compare when it comes to fast food as I consider them very cheap by definition and low in nutritional content.

Has anyone tried it or planning to this time around? I do, just to know the hubbub is all about, I don't know if it is a good value in terms of a quality product to consume in a pinch.

PrettyCoolWorkshop

Re: Popeyes Chicken Sandwich [is it a good value]

Post by PrettyCoolWorkshop » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:12 pm

Last I checked, the sandwich had a P/E (poultry/eating) ratio approaching 1.00. Almost every sandwich produced has been eaten.

The technicals here show a strong value.
Be greedy and fearful. All the time.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:17 pm

No plans to try it. In general I don't find food that is made for me to be a good value.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:24 pm

We tried it and enjoyed it very much. We rated it as being slightly better than Chick-Fil-A's spicy chicken sandwich.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

rj342

Post by rj342 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:30 pm

I had one when they first came out, possibly the first or second day, before word got out. Managed to get one more before they ran out.
Two big thumbs up. I prefer Popeyes to KFC or Church's anyway so maybe I'm biased.

I love Chick-fil-A, but for their chicken biscuits in the morning more than their sandwiches.

Am I the only one who tends to avoid Chick-Fil-A on the days I don't eat lunch at work because they've gotten so hectic, even though the service is still crazy fast?

Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:31 pm

I can vouch for Popeyes. Great tenders and sandwich.

I will be investing in more assets when they become available.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.

birnhamwood

Post by birnhamwood » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:34 pm

We went with a view to trying the sandwich, but they were out and gave us a future date for checking back. Not sure we will go back though since this particular outlet was too small for comfort and, we thought, not kept very clean (trash on floor, unbussed tables, etc.)

VeganBH

Post by VeganBH » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:40 pm

Definitely no plans to try it. We prefer to be plant-based for the health benefits. Google nutritionfacts dot org and peruse at leisure. Or watch forks over knives.....eye opening.
"Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace."​ ~ Albert Sc​hweitzer

Abe

Post by Abe » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:42 pm

Recently I visited a local Popeyes that had just opened in my area, and I ordered the chicken sandwich. This was before I had heard any of the hype about the sandwich. I have to say it was a pretty good sandwich, maybe a little drier than I prefer. I solved that problem by asking for one of those little thingies of ranch dressing to pour over it (no extra charge). :beer
Slow and steady wins the race.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:46 pm

VeganBH wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:40 pm
Definitely no plans to try it. We prefer to be plant-based for the health benefits. Google nutritionfacts dot org and peruse at leisure. Or watch forks over knives.....eye opening.
As a health/nutrition professional, "Forks Over Knives" is eye opening(ly)...poorly researched. Please don't get his thread closed for those who are interested.

beehivehave

Post by beehivehave » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:48 pm

Never had Popeye's sandwich but their real chicken is the best of the chains. A chicken with real bones in it is going to be moister and better than any sandwich, including Chick-fil-A, which is awful IMO.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:55 pm

I'd be curious how it compares to KFCs double down

Never look back unless you are planning to go that way

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:59 pm

Elysium wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:05 pm
I am sure most people by now have heard about the Popeyes fast food chain Chicken sandwich. They are releasing it again next week, November 3rd. Supplies are expected to last longer than last time when they sold out in 2 weeks and there were large lines with delays at most locations.

I didn't get to try one last time, even though we have a Popeyes shop near by, as I barely eat fast food unless I'm on the road and no other option. But I have tried the Chick Fil-A sandwich, it is pretty fine, nothing spectacular. I don't normally price compare when it comes to fast food as I consider them very cheap by definition and low in nutritional content.

Has anyone tried it or planning to this time around? I do, just to know the hubbub is all about, I don't know if it is a good value in terms of a quality product to consume in a pinch.
No plans here. I only eat Chick-fil-A chicken sandwiches. They are delicious.

JaceSpade

Post by JaceSpade » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:01 pm

It is definitely not a good value.

At $3.99 a sandwich, if you were to eat one chicken sandwich per week, you're throwing away $207.48 every year on chicken sandwiches.

If instead you were to invest that money in a low-cost S&P index fund, over a 30-year time horizon, you have would an extra $22,550.03 in your portfolio, assuming a 7-percent annual average return.

beehivehave

Post by beehivehave » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:01 pm

Cycle wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:55 pm

Should be called Double Down on A Heart Attack. 1800mg sodium and 32 g fat. But low in calories "only" 540.
Definitely not for someone with heart problems.
No doubt Popeye's is almost as bad.

beehivehave

Post by beehivehave » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:07 pm

Trader Joe wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:59 pm
Elysium wrote:

No plans here. I only eat Chick-fil-A chicken sandwiches. They are delicious.
I would think someone with your handle would have better taste. The fried sandwich is a tasteless grease bomb and the "grilled" sandwich leaves a chemical taste in my mouth. Maybe people like the salt.

Rheuminator

Post by Rheuminator » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:10 pm

PrettyCoolWorkshop wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:12 pm
Last I checked, the sandwich had a P/E (poultry/eating) ratio approaching 1.00. Almost every sandwich produced has been eaten.

The technicals here show a strong value.
Very nice 😂

shunkman

Post by shunkman » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:15 pm

Popeyes certainly has won the free publicity contest with the release of its chicken sandwich. Unless I order from the dollar menu, I don't consider fast food to be a good value. I have not tried the Popeyes sandwich yet. I understand that the Popeyes sandwich and the Chick-fil-a sandwich both use MSG to enhance flavor. I generally try to avoid MSG but I do occasionally enjoy a chick-fil-a original with extra pickles and a glass of water so lunch costs about $4.00.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:17 pm

Unfortunately, the only Popeyes around us is abysmal. Nasty. In a sketchy neighborhood, also.

I always enjoyed Popeyes dirty rice, but probably now anything ordered from this site would be dirty.

Darn shame.

Chick-fil-A rules the roost with the grandkids. For burgers it is 5 Guys. An occasional visit to Mickey Ds. I do like my Egg McMuffins and sausage biscuits occasionally.

Making Egg McMuffins was my thing on Sunday morning when the girls were at home. I had the ring to make the egg portion perfectly round, add in the cheese and Canadian bacon, yum yum!

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:41 pm

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:17 pm
Unfortunately, the only Popeyes around us is abysmal. Nasty. In a sketchy neighborhood, also.

I always enjoyed Popeyes dirty rice, but probably now anything ordered from this site would be dirty.

Darn shame.

Chick-fil-A rules the roost with the grandkids. For burgers it is 5 Guys. An occasional visit to Mickey Ds. I do like my Egg McMuffins and sausage biscuits occasionally.

Making Egg McMuffins was my thing on Sunday morning when the girls were at home. I had the ring to make the egg portion perfectly round, add in the cheese and Canadian bacon, yum yum!

Broken Man 1999

Egg McMuffins are good enough for Warren Buffett, so they are good enough for me.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.

AAA

Post by AAA » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:46 pm

How Healthy Is Popeyes’ New Chicken Sandwich? (Spoiler: It’s Not)
https://www.healthline.com/health-news/ ... r-not-very

ChowYunPhat

Post by ChowYunPhat » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:50 pm

Cycle wrote:

That image is just....frightening. That said, is it delicious?
A wise man and his money are friends forever...

beehivehave

Post by beehivehave » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:53 pm

ChowYunPhat wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:50 pm
Cycle wrote:

Not as delicious as it is unhealthy.
If I am going to eat unhealthy, I can think of a lot of tastier food.

BionicBillWalsh

Post by BionicBillWalsh » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:02 pm

Unfortunately, it does not appear that Restaurant Brands International Inc (NYSE: QSR) is represented in VTSAX. They are Popeyes parent company. I only eat what I own.

Addendum...

Berkshire Hathaway owns a 4.8% stake. So, I can try it now.
Saltwater has an amazing ability to wash away many of life’s troubles

Godot

Post by Godot » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:05 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:46 pm
VeganBH wrote:
As a health/nutrition professional, "Forks Over Knives" is eye opening(ly)...poorly researched. Please don't get his thread closed for those who are interested.
That's not the only reason to avoid it.
Estragon: I can't go on like this. | Vladimir: That's what you think. | ― Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:09 pm

VeganBH wrote:
+1
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words. Whole food, plant based. Bing it.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:15 pm

ChowYunPhat wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:50 pm
Cycle wrote:

They only sell it in Korea, unless they've expanded their distribution. The stats on the sandwich actually aren't that bad, 540cal, though I'm sure the ingredients are grade D. Paired with a side of kimchi and some raw veggies and you have a balanced meal.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way

Picasso

Post by Picasso » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:19 pm

VeganBH wrote:
Cheers to a healthy heart!

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:27 pm

BionicBillWalsh wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:02 pm
Unfortunately, it does not appear that Restaurant Brands International Inc (NYSE: QSR) is represented in VTSAX. They are Popeyes parent company. I only eat what I own.

Addendum...

Good thing I believe in international diversification:) I do like this policy though. It prevents eating a tons of expensive restaurants (all tend to be privately owned) and traveling overseas. Must save a ton of money. Not being able to shop at Trader Joes is a bit of a bummer though:)

Gort

Post by Gort » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:40 pm

I like Chick-fil-A. It's My Pleasure.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:01 pm

Elysium wrote:

Finally a thread worth bookmarking :D

Popeyes chicken rocks. Though there's a place up near the UP (Michigan) that has broasted chicken I'd want for my last meal if I was on death row. Drooling as I type.

Topic Author
Elysium

Post by Elysium » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:01 pm

Question to those who said Chick Fil-A is their favorite, but will not try Popeyes, why won't you? I heard they are similar but Popeyes is better tasting. To those who said they won't try for healthy eating reasons, I am with you, I prefer plant based foods and healthy eating too, but I eat poultry, fish, eggs for proteins as I need it to fuel my endurance activities. My fast food consumption is probably no more than a few meals every year, I guess that won't hurt. To stay on topic, this thread is about value of a new product that has gained a lot of attention in the marketplace.

Longtermgrowth

Post by Longtermgrowth » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:27 pm

Gort wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:40 pm
I like Chick-fil-A. It's My Pleasure.
Haha, I agree. It's also a better value even though a bit smaller.
Sure do feel sorry for the employees having to say my pleasure non stop, when we know their only pleasure is to clock out for the day.

joelly

Post by joelly » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:38 pm

I love Popeyes. Haven’t try the sandwich though. I usually just got the chicken, the spicy ones. They should bring back the wings. Yummy!

shunkman

Post by shunkman » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:46 pm

joelly wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:38 pm
I love Popeyes. Haven’t try the sandwich though. I usually just got the chicken, the spicy ones. They should bring back the wings. Yummy!
I believe Anthony Bourdain (RIP) was also a fan of Popeyes. That's enough of an endorsement for me...

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:02 pm

No popeyes near me. I think I remember seeing one when I rented a Harley in Phoenix. Is it a west kinda place?

I went to Chic fil a last week for the second time ever. The order was wrong, first missing the chicken sandwich, then with pickles when I clearly said with nothing and the receipt and to complete it, the waffle fries and the chicken were both cold. I don't get why people think this is good. I'll stick with Wendys. Relatively consistent, hot spicy chicken sandwich and they're used to putting whatever toppings I want or don't want on them.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:10 pm

I probably won't try it. Not a big fan of CFA's sandwich (kinda dry) or their fries. As long as I have a Publix down the street, my chicken purchases (fried pieces, wings & rotisserie) belong to them.
Too soon old, too late smart.

BionicBillWalsh

Post by BionicBillWalsh » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:14 pm

randomguy wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:27 pm
BionicBillWalsh wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:02 pm

Addendum...

Good thing I believe in international diversification:) I do like this policy though. It prevents eating a tons of expensive restaurants (all tend to be privately owned) and traveling overseas. Must save a ton of money. Not being able to shop at Trader Joes is a bit of a bummer though:)
Fortunately, Costco, Starbucks, and Whole Foods are really all my family needs.
Saltwater has an amazing ability to wash away many of life’s troubles

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:53 pm

JaceSpade wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:01 pm
It is definitely not a good value.

At $3.99 a sandwich, if you were to eat one chicken sandwich per week, you're throwing away $207.48 every year on chicken sandwiches.

If instead you were to invest that money in a low-cost S&P index fund, over a 30-year time horizon, you have would an extra $22,550.03 in your portfolio, assuming a 7-percent annual average return.
But that assumes your meal would otherwise cost $0.

How do you propose that be accomplished? Dumpster diving?
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams

RobLyons

Post by RobLyons » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:59 pm

No plans. I never get caught up in hype either.
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"

Misenplace

Post by Misenplace » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:05 pm

This thread has run its course and is locked (topic exhausted). See: Locked Topics
Moderators or site admins may lock a topic (set it so no more replies may be added) when a violation of posting policy has occurred. Occasionally, even if there are no overt violations of posting policy, a topic (or thread) will reach a point where the information content of the discussion has been essentially exhausted and further replies are much more likely to cause distress to the community than add anything of value.
Moderator Misenplace